Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 441721 times)

Online AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2020, 03:19:05 am »
SWMBO!!

There, I said it and all you were thinking it :-DD

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2020, 10:36:25 am »
Facebook!

The following users thanked this post: E-Design

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2020, 02:35:41 pm »
Animated banner ads.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Ivy-Jane

Online CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2020, 11:32:59 pm »
When you go to a large department store and get a pair of pants that finally fit just perfect and the price is right, so you decide to go again next week and get one or two more pairs and you find they are sold out, and worse still, it was a line they only carried just once, never to be seen again. Of course, nobody else has them.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2020, 06:06:09 am »
When people standing behind you in a line get so close that they bump into you.  Luckily that happens less now thanks to covid.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2020, 06:52:54 am »
I actually have a whole list of things where the popular opinion is wrong. Here's an example that applies to almost no one here, but it might be interesting. And I have plenty more.

"Annealing." After welding high carbon steel, you have to "anneal" it. But you aren't actually annealing. If it's made of high carbon steel, it is hardened; that's why it's made of high carbon steel to begin with. And after welding it, you still want it to be hardened. The reason you are reheating it to cherry red is not to anneal it.

When you weld on this high carbon steel, you are hardening it (which is what you want), but you are exceeding the critical temperature by a large margin. When the steel cools (from air and the rest of the metal drawing the heat out) it hardens, but the excessive temperature increases the grain size, making the steel lose toughness. It is prone to cracking. If you wanted to make this steel softer, you could just temper it all the way to dead soft. But that wouldn't fix the grain structure.

When you reheat the steel to just slightly glowing, you are not doing it to soften or anneal the steel. You do it to re-harden the steel, properly. By heating it to just barely reach critical temp, the grain structure is fine as you can make it. When you harden steel (whether you quench it with oil or just let it air harden), you want to barely reach glowing, and it's best to do it indoors. In direct sunlight, you can't see where the steel starts to glow, and you will reach an excessive temperature by the time you can detect the glow. Like what happens when you weld on it.

This is not simply semantics. Because people think this is actually annealing/softening the steel, they think you don't have to temper the steel after. You don't have to do anything but die and pay taxes. But you should temper, because you didn't anneal the steel. You re-hardened it, properly. And it will still be suspect to internal stress fracture until it has been tempered.

Likewise, if you braze high carbon steel. You are re-hardening it. You didn't use excessive temp; you just barely got it beyond critical. So you don't have to anneal the steel, after. But you should still temper it.

Even if the result after annealing/brazing is softer than you would like, you should still temper. Otherwise the steel will be prone to spontaneous breakage after repeated bend cycles, even if you keep the bending in the elastic limit, well below the yield point of the steel.

The easy way to remember this is anytime you get high carbon steel to glow red, and you don't get the entire piece to glowing and then let it cool over a period of at least 12 hours in a sealed oven, you haven't fully annealed it. You will get various formations of steel. And if you let it cool fast enough, even by room temperature air, many alloys will harden to some degree (martensenite? formation) even without quenching. And whether or not it is softer than it was before, you still have residual stress in the newly formed martensenite and should temper it. But because in the english language we have to call everything backwards, we call this "annealing," even it cases where it's not.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
More forum related:
A lot of people on this forum know my pet peeve about aquarium bubbler "cupric chloride" etching.
But there's not too many electronics related things I can think of, where the general opinion is so wrong. I guess we're not that dumb, on average.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:49:58 am by KL27x »

The following users thanked this post: Tomorokoshi

Online David Aurora

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2020, 09:18:35 am »
Techs who lose/incorrectly replace bolts. There are some absolute fucking butchers here in Melbourne, and it’s a bit like the Van Halen brown M&Ms thing- as soon as I inspect a piece of gear for repair and see missing/stripped/incorrect fasteners I know immediately that I have to press pause on the repair job and first idiot check the last guys work. So on one hand it’s a good warning sign, but overall it just drives me mental. How goddamn hard is it to keep track of a handful of bolts and put them back where they came from??!! Ugh.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2020, 01:39:01 pm »
I actually have a whole list of things where the popular opinion is wrong. Here's an example that applies to almost no one here, but it might be interesting. And I have plenty more.

Specifically relevant to your post about welding terminology:

Power panels that have no empty spaces for dual breakers.

I moved a couple years ago and I can't use my welder yet. Installing a 60A circuit for is difficult because I will have to rearrange a bunch of other circuits.

More cogent as an actual issue is hack "electricians" leaving behind a trail of poorly-installed and mis-wired code violations with missing covers...

AND THE CORRUPT "INSPECTORS" WHO CLEARLY EITHER NEVER INSPECTED IT OR WERE PAID OFF BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF THE HOUSE WAS A BUILDING CONTRACTOR.

Any number of the animatronic emoticons would apply here.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2020, 07:45:33 pm »
Techs who lose/incorrectly replace bolts. There are some absolute fucking butchers here in Melbourne, and it’s a bit like the Van Halen brown M&Ms thing- as soon as I inspect a piece of gear for repair and see missing/stripped/incorrect fasteners I know immediately that I have to press pause on the repair job and first idiot check the last guys work. So on one hand it’s a good warning sign, but overall it just drives me mental. How goddamn hard is it to keep track of a handful of bolts and put them back where they came from??!! Ugh.

Years ago my grandfather told a story of rebuilding a carb on an old 50's Ford.  He claims it wouldn't start afterward and he realized there were some bolts left over on his workbench.  So he pull off the air cleaner cover, dumped the bolts in and put the cover back on and then it was able to start and run,

I figure he was either drunk when he did that or drunk when he was telling the story (or both).

The following users thanked this post: David Aurora

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2020, 09:32:53 pm »
My daughter was once watching me take her Laptop apart and asked me how any tech can remember where each screw and wire went in! I told her that it comes with what is called experience  ;D

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2020, 10:39:23 pm »
My daughter was once watching me take her Laptop apart and asked me how any tech can remember where each screw and wire went in! I told her that it comes with what is called experience  ;D

And hiding the one or two left-over screws will always remain the master magician's magic trick!

iratus parum formica

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2020, 10:57:03 pm »

And hiding the one or two left-over screws will always remain the master magician's magic trick!

One can always give them as spares to the owner  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, David Aurora

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2020, 11:01:44 pm »

My friend worked as a computer technician when we were in highschool. I remember him telling me that the tech that worked on laptops would shake the machine when he was finished putting it back together and if nothing rattled he would throw away the leftover screws.

Laptops can be tricky, but I've gotten in the habit of sorting the screws by type into little baggies and marking what they were for.

The following users thanked this post: andy3055

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2020, 11:10:56 pm »
Ice cube trays are good for sequential disassembly fasteners.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

The following users thanked this post: David Aurora, andy3055

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2020, 08:00:29 am »
Youtubers with two cameras for multi angle. (why?)

If that's not bad enough, not bothering to align the color balance.

Annoying and distracting.

Look at the color of their shirts..

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 08:04:10 am by Ed.Kloonk »
iratus parum formica

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2020, 02:41:44 pm »
Idiots naming things with very frequently used English words, making the names unsearchable through all the noise. Example: CAN.

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2020, 04:12:48 pm »
Idiots naming things with very frequently used English words, making the names unsearchable through all the noise. Example: CAN.
SOWHATDOESITMEAN.!
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2020, 04:32:43 pm »

Egg cartons too.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2020, 05:23:37 pm »
Anyone that says "To be honest" in a sentence.

What? So normally you're not honest?
I admit, I do this from time to time.  Me fail English.

In my defense, I always used it in the sense of "To be direct", or "To be blunt" (which I will be using in the future).

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #194 on: October 03, 2020, 05:30:05 pm »

In my defense, I always used it in the sense of "To be direct", or "To be blunt" (which I will be using in the future).

There's nothing wrong with saying "to be honest", the fact that it is one person's pet peeve doesn't mean that it is not proper English or in common use.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, newbrain, HobGoblyn

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2020, 05:42:58 pm »

There's nothing wrong with saying "to be honest", the fact that it is one person's pet peeve doesn't mean that it is not proper English or in common use.

Agreed, just don't overuse / seriously misuse (compare to over-mis-use of "literally").

IMHO, use it whenever it's completely normal and socially acceptable norm to omit some information, and you, for some reason, want to reveal a bit more than people often would. For example, an opinion which strictly isn't needed but you feel it adds to the discussion.

Example: to be honest, I don't like the color of your bikeshed.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 05:44:45 pm by Siwastaja »

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2020, 05:57:25 pm »
Keeping something for forty years then finally throwing it out, then needing it in a week’s time so you have to go buy another.  |O

Probably at least a 50% chance of this happening, might be even higher if you kept it longer.

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
  • Hardware Design Engineer
« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2020, 10:54:30 pm »

Egg cartons too.

Now this is a pet peeve of mine also. Ghetto solutions to things where it doesn't make sense.. like egg cartons to store parts.. yeah, somebody can spend many dollars on hardware / parts but cant spend the money for proper cheap plastic drawers.. Eeek GADS... for crying out loud.. egg cartons.. really!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2020, 11:51:20 pm »
YouTube with no talking but sickening loud music.

The following users thanked this post: Red Squirrel, tooki, HobGoblyn, Ground_Loop, E-Design

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: October 04, 2020, 12:13:43 am »
Keeping something for forty years then finally throwing it out, then needing it in a week’s time so you have to go buy another.  |O

Probably at least a 50% chance of this happening, might be even higher if you kept it longer.

So help me formulate a law here, something along the lines "How soon you will need that old item is inversely proportional to how long you kept it before finally throwing out".
I feel it should be inverse square or inverse logarithmic function perhaps?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf