Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 440610 times)

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2020, 02:19:47 am »
Ice cube trays are good for sequential disassembly fasteners.

Egg cartons too.

Yeah, but label each of the pockets as to where the item is used!  Put the egg carton on a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 and write a label beside each.
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
  • Hardware Design Engineer
« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2020, 12:15:52 pm »
Ice cube trays are good for sequential disassembly fasteners.

Egg cartons too.

Yeah, but label each of the pockets as to where the item is used!  Put the egg carton on a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 and write a label beside each.

Yes and be sure to write those labels in crayon with a backwards N thrown in for a professional look.

Here is another peeve: Software that doesn't give you a choice where to install it. It forces itself into the C drive.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline SpecialK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2020, 12:50:20 am »
Websites that won't allow backwards navigation.  Let me explain:

You are search for a widget, but don't know the classification.  So instead of starting at the beginning and branching ou to the product you use the search function, and find one such eaxample of a widget.  But from the product page, you can't click on the category/subcategory to look at similar items. Like the tree should look like "Toyota - 2010 - power train - fuel delivery". Such that I could click on fuel delivery and see other related parts.

Also, websites where adding more terms to the string broadens the search rather than narrowing. Like searching for "2010 Toyota Corolla gas tank" returns every Toyota part, every tank (regardless of make), everything related to gas, plus every 2010 part in the inventory.  WTF is the use?

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, SilverSolder, tooki, Cubdriver, james_s, HobGoblyn

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2020, 01:59:16 pm »
Thats because a Toyota Corolla is disposable, you're not supposed to replace parts  :-DD

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2020, 10:15:54 pm »
Recently, I have seen several Acopian power supplies on eBay, where the seller lists them as “250 V”, instead of the actual voltage (usually 24 V or other common DC Voltage).  Looking at the photos, it’s obvious that the “250 V” is the fuse rating on the nameplate, clearly labeled as such.

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2020, 10:59:22 pm »
I know it's not totally rational, but I hate that every piece of fruit must have a sticker on its skin.
Yes, I know about PLU-codes.

More a pet peel than a pet peeve.
(I'll show myself out)
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Online CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2020, 11:10:20 pm »
Traffic lights that decide whether or not to use the green turn arrow WAY before the main light turns green. You could arrive at the lights, be waiting for 5 or 10 seconds and then when the lights turn green you should also get the turn arrow because you are sitting there waiting. No, it made up it's mind depending on whether a car was present or not 30 seconds ago.  |O
-----
Something else that used to be a pet peeve of mine but not any more is long long traffic turn lanes controlled by a green arrow. They build this long turn lane in anticipation of much traffic but the arrow duration is never long enough to let very much of this long line through. Then I realised that it is also a slowing down lane so you can pull into it at full speed and slow down to a stop rather than slow down in the main straight ahead lane and then finally pull into the beginning of a short turn lane.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2020, 11:10:29 pm »
I know it's not totally rational, but I hate that every piece of fruit must have a sticker on its skin.

(I'll show myself out)

Hahaha I can't believe it, I came to this thread specifically with that in mind...   Synchronicity, or what?  :D

Why do they do that?   I've just peeled the stickers off a dozen apples.  What a @#$!@$ waste of my time!

Offline EvilGeniusSkis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #208 on: October 06, 2020, 12:00:27 am »
Ha... these are kind of cute (although the example cited by the OP is, in fact, correct).  How about something genuinely annoying:

People who fail to reach cruising speed before merging onto the freeway (or equivalent in your country), and people who drop below cruising speed before having fully exited the freeway.

Even worse is when you end up having a sort of passing leap-frog with someone, while you are on cruise control, going the speed limit, as in, they are going slower than the speed limit, sou you pass them, but they won't be passed by a {whatever you are driving, usually happens with something like a minivan or station wagon} so they pass you, then slow down, so you driving with cruise control on, pass them again, and the cycle repeats.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: October 06, 2020, 12:04:33 am »
Even worse is when you end up having a sort of passing leap-frog with someone, while you are on cruise control, going the speed limit, as in, they are going slower than the speed limit, sou you pass them, but they won't be passed by a {whatever you are driving, usually happens with something like a minivan or station wagon} so they pass you, then slow down, so you driving with cruise control on, pass them again, and the cycle repeats.

That happens to me all the time. As soon as I get the cruise control dialed in just right, some idiot decides to pass me, and then goes slower than I was going when they were back behind me. I do drive a station wagon so that could be part of it.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: October 06, 2020, 03:38:44 am »
Thats because a Toyota Corolla is disposable, you're not supposed to replace parts  :-DD

I'm willing to bet that Corolla will still be hanging in there when most of its contemporaries have gone to the "Happy recycling ground".
I own a 21 year old Camry, which looks rough, but still drives like new.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2020, 03:40:56 am »
Ha... these are kind of cute (although the example cited by the OP is, in fact, correct).  How about something genuinely annoying:

People who fail to reach cruising speed before merging onto the freeway (or equivalent in your country), and people who drop below cruising speed before having fully exited the freeway.

Easy, turn off your cruise control, & drive as Nature intended! ;D

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: October 06, 2020, 03:55:25 am »
Websites that won't allow backwards navigation.  Let me explain:

You are search for a widget, but don't know the classification.  So instead of starting at the beginning and branching ou to the product you use the search function, and find one such eaxample of a widget.  But from the product page, you can't click on the category/subcategory to look at similar items. Like the tree should look like "Toyota - 2010 - power train - fuel delivery". Such that I could click on fuel delivery and see other related parts.

Also, websites where adding more terms to the string broadens the search rather than narrowing. Like searching for "2010 Toyota Corolla gas tank" returns every Toyota part, every tank (regardless of make), everything related to gas, plus every 2010 part in the inventory.  WTF is the use?

You could try searching for "Fuel tank" instead!

I do feel your pain, though, I tried to find a 100nF Mylar capacitor (Yaesu specified them for an AF filter in one of their radios.) on Jaycar's website.
On the first try, it hit me with every 100nF cap they had in stock, plus some other values.

OK, I will just search fot "Mylar capacitors".
This got me all those, plus a whole lot of other things, either made of that material, or having a name a "bit like" that word.

So I Googled, & found that Mylar, which I had known as sheets of insulating material used in various applications at my old jobs, is the same stuff used in "common or garden" Polyester caps, so all is good!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #213 on: October 06, 2020, 12:19:15 pm »
Just had this on the RS website. Did a google for a part and found the link direct to the RS page, but from there can't find similar parts. Worse, starting afresh on RS and even knowing what the page has on it, can't do a search that would turn up the part (other than using the RS ID, of course). Can't navigate the product tree to reach the part either.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: October 06, 2020, 02:08:30 pm »

Set the cruise control 20% above the prevailing speeds, and you never run into those kinds of problems!  :D

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2020, 03:16:20 pm »

Set the cruise control 20% above the prevailing speeds, and you never run into those kinds of problems!  :D

You don't even have to keep it at 20%.  Just long enough for the bonehead to disappear over the rear horizen.  Without your carrot to goad them they quickly revert to their slow pace.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Siwastaja

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2020, 08:23:42 pm »
Here's another pet peeve: The annoying "modern" trend of using of hand-held cameras to film Hollywood movies. I get vertigo just watching some of these abominations. I guess some people consider their use to be "edgy" and modern, but I think it makes a movie look amateurish--sure, that may have been okay for something like The Blair Witch Project, but for movies with an eight or nine digit budget it's just stupid.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2020, 08:28:11 pm »

(I'll show myself out)

Same here.  I hate those things.  All it means is that there is a roll of stickers at the packaging plant.  About as useful as prop 65 notices.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2020, 12:59:36 am »
One of my big tech related pet peeves is the fact that so many products require you to have an account and register it now days, and rely on outside servers to even work.  Game consoles, phones, practically anything that has a phone app such as drones, action cams, home auytomation etc... there is zero reason why an app can't rely only on wifi to work, and be stand alone.   I know WHY they do it (to spy on you) but I absolutely hate it.  I have a bad feeling we are going to see this being the norm with cars too.  Tesla already does it.   Overall it's just happening everywhere and I absolutely hate it.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV, Ivy-Jane

Online AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2020, 05:48:02 am »
Facebook telling me as of 2023 my oculus rift cant be used without logging in with them :rant:

In the meantime oculus server sends packets upon packets of encrypted data to facebook owned ip addr with the thing just laying there off and unused  :palm:

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2020, 05:53:30 am »
The annoying type ahead "smart"  ::) at the browser before striking the Enter key, like when I typed in the search dialog box, sometimes it made the browser or keyboard stuttered, and it doesn't "smartly" clear the keyboard buffer hence the typing went crazy, really hate that.  >:( >:( >:(

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2020, 08:02:38 am »
Radio stations that chop the guitar solo so they can squeeze in a few more ads.

:rant:
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: AlfBaz

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2020, 03:27:09 pm »
One of my big tech related pet peeves is the fact that so many products require you to have an account and register it now days, and rely on outside servers to even work.  Game consoles, phones, practically anything that has a phone app such as drones, action cams, home auytomation etc... there is zero reason why an app can't rely only on wifi to work, and be stand alone.   I know WHY they do it (to spy on you) but I absolutely hate it.  I have a bad feeling we are going to see this being the norm with cars too.  Tesla already does it.   Overall it's just happening everywhere and I absolutely hate it.

Agree 100% -  I simply don't buy those products unless I'm absolutely forced to.  There are usually alternatives, if you look hard enough.  Instead of buying a new car that spies on you, buy a used Corvette or Porsche that doesn't!  -  All round winner!  :D

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #223 on: October 17, 2020, 06:48:24 pm »
Now this is a pet peeve of mine also. Ghetto solutions to things where it doesn't make sense.. like egg cartons to store parts.. yeah, somebody can spend many dollars on hardware / parts but cant spend the money for proper cheap plastic drawers.. Eeek GADS... for crying out loud.. egg cartons.. really!

So I presume you'll be particularly annoyed to know that you can build an entire parts cabinet out of used matchboxes.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, E-Design

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #224 on: October 17, 2020, 06:59:43 pm »
I think the parts in egg cartons is just temp storage while you disassemble, fix and reassemble something.

I do use peanut butter and butter jars/tubs for long term storage though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf