Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 460273 times)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #2450 on: November 06, 2022, 01:56:41 am »
That's inflation 1:1. Lived through that and much worse in the 1980's and their 2000%+ a year. The lost decade for us.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2451 on: November 06, 2022, 02:00:28 am »
This is my current pet peeve and it fucking stinks.   :bullshit: :phew: 

Scumbag companies who scam loyal customers by shrinking their product sizes but increase the prices. This is one of the dirtiest tricks in the book and made worse when they retain the same size packaging but reduce the contents for nothing more than profit.   :rant:

The regular can I buy on the left is 150gm and normally costs $3.15 on special, the new can on the right is only 130gm and cost me $3.75 also on special.   :wtf:

Shrink-flation.

I just hope it doesn't affect any products from the Durex company.
iratus parum formica

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2452 on: November 06, 2022, 02:18:16 am »
   My point(s) involving Pet Peeves religion and Feng Shui, is not that they are real and proven so, but that there is a 'mystery' dynamic...even some formal religions mention that.  It's a 'quality' of un-provability that some written texts mention.
   One older SIMPSONs TV episode featured that:
   Quote: " The YETI always disappears, when cameras come out...lending a quality of UNPROVABILITY, to the actually REAL sighting...".
...this, leading to Lisa's (Simpson) head to 'explode'.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2453 on: November 06, 2022, 02:24:45 am »
   My point(s) involving Pet Peeves religion and Feng Shui, is not that they are real and proven so, but that there is a 'mystery' dynamic...even some formal religions mention that.  It's a 'quality' of un-provability that some written texts mention.
   Quote: " The YETI always disappears, when cameras come out...lending a quality of UNPROVABILITY, to the actually REAL sighting...".

;D

There is something reminding quantum mechanics in that.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #2454 on: November 06, 2022, 03:52:32 am »
10 was supposed to be the last version going onwards.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows

That’s a parroted myth which Microsoft never said: https://www.pcworld.com/article/394724/why-is-there-a-windows-11-if-windows-10-is-the-last-windows.html

Also, quoting “da vrrrrj” subtracts you -1,000 points for quoting a source who are know not to know what they are on about.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 03:55:16 am by eti »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2455 on: November 06, 2022, 04:34:26 am »

Scumbag companies who scam loyal customers by shrinking their product sizes but increase the prices. This is one of the dirtiest tricks in the book and made worse when they retain the same size packaging but reduce the contents for nothing more than profit.   :rant:

The regular can I buy on the left is 150gm and normally costs $3.15 on special, the new can on the right is only 130gm and cost me $3.75 also on special.   :wtf:

Shrink-flation.

I don't need them anymore, but it wouldn't matter---I've shrunk, too! ;D

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2456 on: November 06, 2022, 04:35:56 am »

Shrink-flation.

I don't need them anymore, but it wouldn't matter---I've shrunk, too! ;D

It was a cold winter.  8)
iratus parum formica

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2457 on: November 06, 2022, 10:36:38 am »
The regular can I buy on the left is 150gm and normally costs $3.15 on special, the new can on the right is only 130gm and cost me $3.75 also on special.

They're trying to gently move you forward to a 1980s fragrance.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2458 on: November 06, 2022, 10:41:51 am »
Also, quoting “da vrrrrj”

Just the first result in Google. Couldn've picked any of a dozen more. My original source would have been something like The Register, but try this:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/11/windows-10-last-version-microsoft

Or maybe you're not a 'tofu-eating woketard' (in the words of our Home Secretary) and that august publication is still below your wavering standards.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2459 on: November 06, 2022, 10:45:08 am »
I hate how multi meter probes are designed to get trapped between the two wheels in your office chair and then pull the meter off the bench when you move.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: Zeyneb, tooki

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2460 on: November 06, 2022, 07:04:52 pm »

Shrinkflation makes my blood boil. I understand the need to increase prices. It pisses me the hell off when these disgusting marketing dweebs try to conceal it by making the product smaller, some even try to spin it by saying the smaller candy bar has fewer calories so it's better for you. It makes me feel like I'm being cheated, I notice and I resent it.

Offline Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2461 on: November 06, 2022, 07:14:18 pm »
I hate how multi meter probes are designed to get trapped between the two wheels in your office chair and then pull the meter off the bench when you move.

Bear in mind these multi meter probes will get the hell exit at the pearly gates....

I hope that will give you sufficient revenge feeling.
goto considered awesome!

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #2462 on: November 07, 2022, 11:26:36 pm »
Damn bonfire night, a strange UK custom for those in the rest of the world!!  People literally burning money just to see pretty lights in the sky :palm:  So those that don't indulge in such nonsense have to endure 6 hours of noise disturbance!! Yes, I am a grumpy b4stard!!

Don’t mind 5th Nov or the nearest weekend, but past few years it’s started mid October, and still idiots were letting fireworks off right up to new year.

On bonfire night this year, I and my dog were woken up at 3:45am with some idiots letting them off.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #2463 on: November 07, 2022, 11:29:12 pm »
   Actually, FENG SHUI is an established science, although I know only bits and pieces about it.  Some of it makes good sense, geometrically.  Like principals that say things like:
    'Keeping doorways clear of clutter, and leaving ample space, so door can open completely', (in my interpretation),  allows 'luck' and 'health' generally to flow and circulate.  Sounds comic book fiction, sure, but Feng Shui has some pleasingly APPROPRIATE fit, I've seen.
   My consultant used partial intuitive reading, and talked about a couple things (in my business office location) that were private / confidential, although she had no direct knowledge.  That's just a bit of mystery.

Utter nonsense.

Your "consultant" conned you.
No more so than your religious leaders conned you! ;)

Jokes aside, you do need to accept that religion is something you cannot bring to a facts-based forum as if it were fact. You are free to believe what you believe, but many of us do not, and cannot and will not accept it as fact even if you make such declarations. I am an atheist and don’t believe in your religion (or anyone else’s), so arguments that DOG created everything and made us inherently superior to animals don’t, um, improve your standing in my eyes.

I believe in God, but also totally agree with what you say.

While I believe in God, I loath organised religion and 99% of all churches whatever their denomination. The way most churches behave, it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that most people want to run a mile

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2464 on: November 07, 2022, 11:49:15 pm »

While I believe in God, I loath organised religion and 99% of all churches whatever their denomination. The way most churches behave, it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that most people want to run a mile

Something I remember observing when I was a small child is there are numerous different religions, and pretty much all of them think that they are right and everyone else is wrong. My conclusion at the time was that the most likely explanation is that they are all wrong, at least to some degree. It wasn't until I was much older that I learned of all of the other deities that have been worshiped throughout human history, the people that worshiped them believed in those deities as firmly as people believe today. Even so many people who are deeply devout have trouble understanding how a person can be atheist, despite the fact that there are numerous deities they themselves don't believe in. Well it's just like that, only adding one more to the list.

Now people are free to believe whatever they want, I don't actually know the answer and it's virtually impossible to prove that something doesn't exist, so I consider myself agnostic rather than outright atheist, but I don't like it when people try to present their religion as concrete fact or use their belief as proof of something. It's not proof of anything, it's a belief.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, SiliconWizard, HobGoblyn

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #2465 on: November 08, 2022, 12:57:09 am »

Something I remember observing when I was a small child is there are numerous different religions, and pretty much all of them think that they are right and everyone else is wrong. My conclusion at the time was that the most likely explanation is that they are all wrong, at least to some degree. It wasn't until I was much older that I learned of all of the other deities that have been worshiped throughout human history, the people that worshiped them believed in those deities as firmly as people believe today. Even so many people who are deeply devout have trouble understanding how a person can be atheist, despite the fact that there are numerous deities they themselves don't believe in. Well it's just like that, only adding one more to the list.

Now people are free to believe whatever they want, I don't actually know the answer and it's virtually impossible to prove that something doesn't exist, so I consider myself agnostic rather than outright atheist, but I don't like it when people try to present their religion as concrete fact or use their belief as proof of something. It's not proof of anything, it's a belief.

ageing & ultimately death explained-
98% of all organised religion is waste of time, this is humanity's failed attempt to find God.
however God has offer to humanity, God has His only one Son & only one way to Live for Eternity.
terms and conditions apply. refer to the user manual , important set of documents.
 explains the errors in the universe & who is responsible for wars, pain , suffering & death.
beginning of time to the end of time is only a short time.  universe was made perfect in just 144 hours,
then all of it was corrupted by the lust of a talking reptile, hypnotizing an innocent naked woman.
1 or 2% churches do have truth about God , His Son, & the key to living for Eternity.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2466 on: November 08, 2022, 05:27:12 am »

Shrink-flation.

Reminds me of a soup packet that advertized 25% less salt than original.  The directions called for 3 cups of water instead of the usual 4.  There was 25% less everything, for the same price.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2467 on: November 08, 2022, 05:44:06 am »

Shrink-flation.

Reminds me of a soup packet that advertized 25% less salt than original.  The directions called for 3 cups of water instead of the usual 4.  There was 25% less everything, for the same price.

Nobody here is brave enough to futz with the bread or milk.
iratus parum formica

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2468 on: November 08, 2022, 08:19:05 am »
Damn bonfire night, a strange UK custom for those in the rest of the world!!  People literally burning money just to see pretty lights in the sky :palm:  So those that don't indulge in such nonsense have to endure 6 hours of noise disturbance!! Yes, I am a grumpy b4stard!!

People here are amazing. Everyone’s always pleading poverty and “How WILL we survive the winter?! Cost of living” and yet, like magic, EVERYONE seems to have a secret unlimited wallet that appears for:

# Booze (fiver a pint, last time I looked, and I don’t drink any more GLADLY!
# New phones (debt debt debt! Thaaaaat’s the spirit!)
# Takeaways every weekend
# Sending £50-200 up in flames into the sky

As a youngster it used to annoy me that everyone always claimed they were “skint” when I was trying to sell them stuff half or quarter price, but beer somehow magically buys itself endlessly, without fail. 

People talk rubbish.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2469 on: November 08, 2022, 08:26:43 am »

“Proven” so 🤣😂

I believe you have shares in an international “Feng shui” consultancy which are trying to float on the stock market. My dear friend, it’s a load of old rubbish.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 08:31:00 am by eti »

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #2470 on: November 08, 2022, 08:39:16 am »
[...] which are trying to float on the stock market. My dear friend, it’s a load of old rubbish.
That I fully agree with; the stock market is a load of rubbish.  Especially so for derivatives, high-frequency trading, and shorts.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2471 on: November 08, 2022, 04:14:57 pm »
Yes, stock market voodoo.
  For more rubbish, try reading a regular monthly medical HMO bill:.   The dang thing is printed SIDEWAYS.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2472 on: November 08, 2022, 04:30:04 pm »
HMO bill: The dang thing is printed SIDEWAYS.
They need the long axis for all the commas in the prices.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2473 on: November 08, 2022, 05:13:21 pm »
unless your a "budget" uk frozen food chain ,4 pints is a standard uk  container size for milk,however this particular mob  sell  2 litres,you think your saving 10p until you look closely at the label.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2474 on: November 08, 2022, 05:33:25 pm »
unless your a "budget" uk frozen food chain ,4 pints is a standard uk  container size for milk,however this particular mob  sell  2 litres,you think your saving 10p until you look closely at the label.

Well!

I had to go and check this and, to my surprise, most supermarket milk is indeed sold in pints (I had assumed litres for some reason). The exceptions, that are 2L instead of 2 pints, are third-party milks (typically organic, non-dairy, but also normal stuff). Even a well-known frozen food chain (perhaps not the one you cite) sells own-brand in pints and third-party in litres.

Of course, it can be difficult to tell which is own-brand now. Tesco, for instance, regularly creates brands whose names suggest actual farms and the like, but are entirely fake.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf