Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 453044 times)

themadhippy and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #325 on: November 13, 2020, 11:41:57 pm »

it was many years after I was married that my arm would still reach for the non existent gearshift in my wife's car when I felt the rpm at certain speeds.

When I put my car in park after driving home, my poor car's windscreen wiper/washer wand wishes that I would stop forgetting that I'm not driving my truck with it's column shift.

One of these days, it will have had enough..

iratus parum formica

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #326 on: November 15, 2020, 12:41:40 am »
When some kind of draggable border in a window is only *one* pixel wide and you need hands as steady as a surgeon to get the mouse right on it to drag it to a new position...  :--
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:07:24 am by Circlotron »

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, SilverSolder, Red Squirrel, Cubdriver, james_s, GlennSprigg, HobGoblyn

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #327 on: November 16, 2020, 12:33:36 am »
My win10 PC falls asleep, and often when it wakes, my 155Hz monitor is only at 60Hz, and I can notice the diffrence right away in windows, let alone in a fast game

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #328 on: November 16, 2020, 04:09:03 am »
I don't know why but in Linux I can never go even to 60hz on my two 4ks.  One of them will go to 60 but if I try to do the other, all hell breaks loose.  So I ended up just putting both to 30 to be safe.  It's oddly not really noticeable though...  back in CRT days even 60hz felt like a strobe light.

Offline AUSSIE

« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2020, 08:11:12 am »

it was many years after I was married that my arm would still reach for the non existent gearshift in my wife's car when I felt the rpm at certain speeds.

When I put my car in park after driving home, my poor car's windscreen wiper/washer wand wishes that I would stop forgetting that I'm not driving my truck with it's column shift.

Done that in the past, broken off indicator stalk as well.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #330 on: November 16, 2020, 01:39:37 pm »

Done that in the past, broken off indicator stalk as well.

When I need to remember something about my car, I put an elastic band over the rear view mirror as a flag...   can't avoid seeing that several times during the journey, and it reminds me "There is something you need to remember that you are sometimes an idiot with".   For example, towing a small trailer...   The experience of forgetting you are towing a trailer is memorable!  :D

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #331 on: November 19, 2020, 11:56:12 am »
Those damn TV Ads here in Australia, where they all get the SAME narrators/readers!!!
Some regular 'Aussies' but often American, who drone on in the same mind destroying voices,
like "But WAIT, there's MORE !!" etc etc...  Bloody hell.  Even when/if there is something/product that I
REALLY liked, or REALLY needed, I would not buy it ever, just because of those bloody voices!!   >:D
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2020, 03:21:51 pm »
Those damn TV Ads here in Australia, where they all get the SAME narrators/readers!!!
Some regular 'Aussies' but often American, who drone on in the same mind destroying voices,
like "But WAIT, there's MORE !!" etc etc...  Bloody hell.  Even when/if there is something/product that I
REALLY liked, or REALLY needed, I would not buy it ever, just because of those bloody voices!!   >:D

Funny.  Here in the US we get the same annoying ads, but more than half of the announcers have accents from various parts of the British Empire.

Must be something to do with being run out of town at home.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2020, 04:53:40 pm »
We get a lot of annoying TV ads here for prescription drugs that are 2-3 minutes in length, with the last minute or two consisting of a long list of all of the side effects of the drug.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2020, 04:55:34 pm »
We get a lot of annoying TV ads here for prescription drugs that are 2-3 minutes in length, with the last minute or two consisting of a long list of all of the side effects of the drug.

May cause spontaneous, explosive anal leakage.

iratus parum formica

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2020, 06:26:47 pm »
A few years ago, there was a parody where the side effects included “possession by the Prince of Darkness”.  This was in an ad for a stockbroker who specialized in after-hours trading, allowing the lady watching the drug ad to dump her stock in that drug company promptly.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2020, 06:43:11 pm »

I remember the ads for that drug to help you stop smoking, the guy rattles on and on at an auctioneer pace with a list of potential side effects that include hallucination, suicidal thoughts and tendencies and a bunch of other stuff. The side effects sound worse than smoking.

Offline SpecialK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #337 on: November 20, 2020, 03:45:06 am »

I remember the ads for that drug to help you stop smoking, the guy rattles on and on at an auctioneer pace with a list of potential side effects that include hallucination, suicidal thoughts and tendencies and a bunch of other stuff. The side effects sound worse than smoking.

Yeah. Bear in mind hey are obligated to list the side-effects, but that doesn't mean you will get all or even a single one of them. 

I like the disclaimer, don't take "x" if you are allergic to "x". Huh?

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #338 on: November 20, 2020, 12:11:49 pm »
Being a smoker myself . I still think that if you worry about all
The side effects and the odds that can kill you . The distraction worry & life in general will be more dangerous.  And just reading all the small print . May damage your eye sight . 🤪
Update .. This new vaccine 4bug 19  .. Its 94% affective . But in the small print .   They don't know if there will be side affects in the future ..     Extra eye's or the odd finger dropping off .   :scared:
       what does the extra 6% not included !!.
         Yes I know the flue vaccine is only apx 45% .

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:07:09 pm by Labrat101 »
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #339 on: November 20, 2020, 02:41:01 pm »
Being a smoker myself . I still think that if you worry about all
The side effects and the odds that can kill you . The distraction worry & life in general will be more dangerous.  And just reading all the small print . May damage your eye sight . 🤪
Update .. This new vaccine 4bug 19  .. Its 94% affective . But in the small print .   They don't know if there will be side affects in the future ..     Extra eye's or the odd finger dropping off .   :scared:
       what does the extra 6% not included !!.
         Yes I know the flue vaccine is only apx 45% .

Nothing is 100% safe.  Life is about avoiding the dumb risks, and taking the good ones...

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #340 on: November 20, 2020, 06:05:55 pm »
I guess that I have a bit of a pet peeve with the term, “side effects” when applied to pharmacologics.

IMO, there are drug effects on your body and there are your body’s effects on drugs. It is ok to say “beneficial”, “desirable”, “adverse” and “undesirable” effects, within a context.

The peeve is because I think that the use of “side effects” simplifies the issue, is always relative and, basically, thwarts a better understanding of drug action in general.

Take for example (a mostly archaic example, but one that is easy to understand) dextroamphetamine (speed, upper). When the same dose range was administered for obesity or pregnancy weight gain, the “side effect” was labelled as mania (in this case, increased mood, excitement, hyperactivity). When administered as an antidepressant, the “side effect” was labelled as anorexia (in this case, weight loss from diminished appetite).
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: AlbertL

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #341 on: November 21, 2020, 05:28:27 am »
In discussing the competition between AC and DC for power transmission in the early years of the electric utility industry (the "war of the currents"), writers who state that "DC can only be transmitted for short distances" or words to that effect.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #342 on: November 21, 2020, 06:02:56 am »
In discussing the competition between AC and DC for power transmission in the early years of the electric utility industry (the "war of the currents"), writers who state that "DC can only be transmitted for short distances" or words to that effect.

Give them a break.  It was true at the time.  There was no practical way at that time to step dc up to high voltage so unless your were willing to go broke buying meter squared conductors line losses were immense.  It was forty years before technology made it marginally practical and another forty before it became relatively easy.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Cubdriver, james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #343 on: November 21, 2020, 06:30:46 am »
Give them a break.  It was true at the time.  There was no practical way at that time to step dc up to high voltage so unless your were willing to go broke buying meter squared conductors line losses were immense.  It was forty years before technology made it marginally practical and another forty before it became relatively easy.

It's still not practical for distribution, it only really makes sense on large transmission lines where the advantages of DC start to outweigh the additional complexity required. Step down converters of the sort of scale needed to feed residential neighborhoods would be a lot more expensive and likely less reliable than conventional transformers and they're not going to be as robust in terms of surviving lightning strikes and overloads. The process of stepping it up and down still involves converting it to AC in the process.

Without the ability to step the voltage up and down even with unrealistically enormous conductors the voltage is going to be lower the further you are from the power plant. Prior to the 1970s at the earliest DC transmission would have meant rotary converters and it wasn't until probably the 90s that solid state electronics in the required power levels were even close to practical.

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #344 on: November 21, 2020, 02:38:07 pm »
As I remember an article in Popular Science in my youth (55 years ago or so), the first trans-Channel underwater transmission lines between England and France ran DC, but huge mercury-vapor tubes were used for rectification and DC-AC conversion at both ends, rather than rotary machines.

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #345 on: November 21, 2020, 06:35:54 pm »
Without the ability to step the voltage up and down even with unrealistically enormous conductors the voltage is going to be lower the further you are from the power plant. Prior to the 1970s at the earliest DC transmission would have meant rotary converters and it wasn't until probably the 90s that solid state electronics in the required power levels were even close to practical.
There were a few HVDC links were using mercury arc rectifiers prior to the 1970s.

The HVDC link between the 2 main islands of New Zealand was put in to service in 1965. At the time this was one of the largest and most advanced HVDC links in the world and used state-of-the-art mercury arc rectifiers, undersea cables, generators and circuit breakers.

After about 25 years service it became one of the last mercury arc rectifier based systems in the world before it was upgraded to thyristor based convertors.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #346 on: November 21, 2020, 07:02:36 pm »
The definition of HV has drifted over the years, but Wikipedia credits the first HV DC transmission line to a run in Sweden in 1954.  I believe lower voltage and/or experimental applications occurred in the  1930s.  Little hiccups like a world wide depression followed by a war delayed actual implementation of the technology.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #347 on: November 21, 2020, 07:55:50 pm »
How do you use a mercury arc rectifier to turn DC into AC? I didn't realize that was possible.

Either way it was not practical for small scale stuff. It would make no sense to use DC transmission into residential neighborhoods with converters to turn it into AC and step it down for each group of houses.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #348 on: November 21, 2020, 08:51:21 pm »
How do you use a mercury arc rectifier to turn DC into AC? [...]

Hold it with both arms - and shake it, like a cocktail!   :D

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #349 on: November 21, 2020, 09:30:10 pm »
How do you use a mercury arc rectifier to turn DC into AC? I didn't realize that was possible.

Either way it was not practical for small scale stuff. It would make no sense to use DC transmission into residential neighborhoods with converters to turn it into AC and step it down for each group of houses.

I said “Mercury-vapor tubes”.  The inverters used thyratrons or ignitions.  Mercury-vapor rectifiers do not use arcs.
I also see no reason to use DC instead of AC with transformers for local distribution.\

Edit:  as caught below, spell-check changed my "ignitrons" into "ignitions".  Microsoft's ignorance is bliss.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:55:53 pm by TimFox »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf