Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 462470 times)

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #3650 on: April 26, 2023, 05:26:41 am »
"Google Groups" are a current pet peeve.

Signing onto the ham radio group I am a member of, I see a category called  "Recent Groups".
Clicking on it, I find a few sites which are ham radio or similar, but a plethora of other crap, including such delights as:

"Foto fantasia"---- "For the discerning voyeur".

"married housewives in singapore"

"nudist photograph"
The last one might be quite legitimate pictures of Naturists trundling around having "nice family holidays", but the first two definitely send out very obvious signals. Probably the lady in the first one & the ladies from Singapore are quite "voyeur worthy", but I have never had occasion, or the need to look at that group.

A bit further down we have (evidently referring some esoteric computer networking stuff, or whatever.): -
"Salt users"

Going lower, it gets a bit dark, with:-
"alt.assassination.jfk"

& a few others.

The point of this is they don't offer any way for ordinary users to remove these groups, unless you are an owner/administrator of a Group.
I can understand Google working out that I am interested in ham radio & electronics from the nature of the group, but what tells them I am an old pervy conspiracy theorist? ;D

The issue it's not just you but the other members of the group that happen to also frequent those other places. Being a ham operator isn't really pulling in the ladies as we all thought it would.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3651 on: April 26, 2023, 09:53:13 am »
In my experience.

Consultant:  Either a subject matter expert sent in to "consult" on an existing or developing system or a general industry expert who does the business analysis, identifies problems, proposes solutions based on industry case studies and other customer examples and successes etc. etc.  Examples might be an AWS Consultant sent in to a customer to review and consult on their ambition to move their IT to the cloud.

The other relevant industry term here is: "Solution Integrator".  A company which has primarily consultants on various platforms and technologies that they as a business 'resell' to their customers.  They analyse the business problem, propose a collection of "off the shelf" cloud based (or other) components and the only actual development work is like clicking lego blocks together.  Although in fairness it usually ends up a lot more fiddly an annoying trying to get different vendors solutions to work together in one system.

Code is a dirty word in these companies.  Code costs money.  Code has bugs.  Code is difficult to resell.  They go out of their way and throw money at any technology which reduces the amount of code involved.  AWS Lambda et al.  They don't want to hold a sizable engineering bench to support and develop code, they want small dynamic teams which can be far flung to other customers and treated as "fungible resources".

It's almost as if, in a meeting, when a requirement pops out, and I might say, "Yea, we can knock that part up in python in a few days.", people stare at you like you have two heads and someone says, "I think we will use Amazon XYZ service API instead".  More pointy clicking, draggy droppy web page admin.  No development.

When you mix the above with "body shopping", the worst case and this has happened to me, you get shipping out to a customer.  The customer has been told you are the expert consultant in some software platform.  The truth is, you once used that software platform in a pre-sales prototype and actually know nothing about it at all.  Needless to say it was 4 of the most uncomfortable days in my career and thankfully it was in London, the first place they had me packed and ready to go to was Abidabi for 2 weeks, but was cancelled!  When I pointed out I had no clue, they just said, "You'll be fine."

On "Java Engineer".  Calling me a java engineer or a java developer is like calling a spark a "Screwdriver engineer" or a plumber a pipe bender operator.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 09:59:58 am by paulca »
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: AndyBeez

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3652 on: April 26, 2023, 11:07:36 am »
Seconded.

Another IT job, "Senior Solutions Architect". I have yet to meet anyone who knows what that is, other than it comes with a six figure salary and airmiles to Dubai, Las Vegas and Singapore. Nearest defn. A guy who uses AWS, cloud, blockchain, API and interop, on every other Powerpoint slide. Welcome to Dilbert World.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3653 on: April 28, 2023, 06:26:40 pm »
The use of indicators by drivers, to tell you what they've just done, is atrocious.

If you're really lucky they might use indicators to tell you what they're doing, but many can't be arsed to even manage that.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 06:46:24 am by PlainName »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3654 on: April 29, 2023, 12:01:28 am »
Apollo guidance computers restorations on Youtube. Every neighbor and their dog making them. I wonder how many Apollos were built back then.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #3655 on: April 29, 2023, 12:29:22 am »
extremely large rockets that fail to make it into orbit.
all that fail. since the N1 Russian super-heavy rocket.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 12:31:01 am by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3656 on: April 29, 2023, 06:45:28 am »

Why is that a peeve? It's not as if they (fail to) do it deliberately.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3657 on: April 29, 2023, 12:15:20 pm »
So you are against something that is not 100% reliable? Does that mean you are pissed off with everything?

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #3658 on: April 30, 2023, 09:47:26 am »
So you are against something that is not 100% reliable? Does that mean you are pissed off with everything?

no
best super-heavy rocket design IMO was rockwell's 1970s Star-Raker design
from a video-  by Common Sense Skeptic ch

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3659 on: April 30, 2023, 10:00:19 am »
Which one proved it could actually fly?

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3661 on: April 30, 2023, 10:35:56 am »
Don't have 44 minutes to not find the info - the second link didn't say why it didn't get to fly and just provided a cgi. Perhaps you could do a one-sentence synopsis? Give the timestamp in the video? C'mon, it's you making the argument and providing Youtube rabbit-hole time sinks isn't doing that.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #3662 on: April 30, 2023, 12:12:51 pm »
Don't have 44 minutes to not find the info - the second link didn't say why it didn't get to fly and just provided a cgi. Perhaps you could do a one-sentence synopsis? Give the timestamp in the video? C'mon, it's you making the argument and providing Youtube rabbit-hole time sinks isn't doing that.
starts at 23:00 on the video by Common Sense Skeptic  entitled [Of Rockets, Shuttles and Planes] on youtube.
Star-Raker design uses 3 types of rocket engine.
10 air breathing rocket/jet engines for takeoff and landing.
and 3 stored oxidizer liquid-fuel cryogenic rocket engines for getting into orbit. as the space shuttle did so.
with third type is the steering thrusters.
Star-Raker design has much in common with the space shuttle's aerodynamics.
with a cargo capacity of 100,000 kg more then the space shuttle's 29,000 kg.
Star-Raker's internal tanks held all propellants needed unlike the space shuttle.
largest technical challenge for Star-Raker IMO  would be venting the fuel tanks without explosion.
between the modes of flight. such as starting and re-starting engine procedures.
the Star-Raker has a side-swing flip-out flight crew cabin design type nose cone.
the landing gear of Star-Raker is also retractable but must also have a set of jettisoned or  drop-off super-heavy
runway takeoff gear bogies.
IMO starship's super heavy vertical design has failed to capitalize on the experience learned from the space shuttle.

levs open the possibility of horizontal Star-Raker using super heavy rocket sled takeoffs from rails beside the space-port/airport runways.
the design can also have booster rockets to assistance takeoff. with the crew cabin/nose cone acting as an escape pod if something goes wrong. So then successful the same Star-Raker landing back on earth's runways with rubber tyre's like an aircraft or space shuttle did.

Star-Raker concept was to be the super heavy space shuttle for a Space-based solar power
concept for collecting solar power in outer space. and then using microwave power transmission
to get it back to earth.

why Star-Raker sized space shuttle was no longer needed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power

The project was cancelled with the change in administrations after the 1980 United States elections.
so the Star-Raker horizontal takeoff super heavy space shuttle design A single-stage-to-orbit (SSTO) vehicle.
was also was not continued. funding was stopped and the project cancelled

you will find Star-Raker mentioned here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-stage-to-orbit

end of this rabbit hole..........
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 01:56:47 pm by jonovid »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3663 on: April 30, 2023, 02:32:42 pm »
OK, thanks.

why Star-Raker sized space shuttle was no longer needed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power

I am failing to see why that made it no longer needed, particularly since SBSP is still a pipedream.

Isn't the Virgin effort partway to doing this? At least they leave the bulk of the thing behind so the main mission and return isn't lumbered with a big rocket-sized vehicle to maneuver around.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3664 on: May 02, 2023, 06:13:22 pm »
Having to be IP EXPERT to use on-line news radio.
   Yes I know, I've been reputed in the past, for whining and complaining too much, but, LOL call it like I see it.
Security concerns bring a personal limit, on those APPs, necessary to, well, to even function decently.

Technology measured there could say:
   'Measured by 1923 standards (I was -50 y.o. then), a simple flick of switch, and maybe fiddle with tuner, and that was it.'. Of course the offerings in today's (2023) media world are much richer.
   Like, for instance, a news radio show in OHIO (U.S.) couldn't be received in San Francisco...But not able to listen, or dropouts every couple minutes....what's the difference if that rich scene of broadcast media options is virtually unlistenable.
   Couldn't listen to radio news, from Ohio, in 1923.
   Can't really listen to radio news, from Ohio, 2023.

Yeah, point of pride, there...(RJ sarcasm).
thanks
EDIT:  Please also see:
   'The glorious return of humble car feature'
was posted by Black Phoenix.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:39:32 pm by RJHayward »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3665 on: May 02, 2023, 07:02:36 pm »
Having to be IP EXPERT to use on-line news radio.
   Yes I know, I've been reputed in the past, for whining and complaining too much, but, LOL call it like I see it.
Security concerns bring a personal limit, on those APPs, necessary to, well, to even function decently.

Technology measured there could say:
   'Measured by 1923 standards (I was -50 y.o. then), a simple flick of switch, and maybe fiddle with tuner, and that was it.'. Of course the offerings in today's (2023) media world are much richer.
   Like, for instance, a news radio show in OHIO (U.S.) couldn't be received in San Francisco...But not able to listen, or dropouts every couple minutes....what's the difference if that rich scene of broadcast media options is virtually unlistenable.
   Couldn't listen to radio news, from Ohio, in 1923.
   Can't really listen to radio news, from Ohio, 2023.

Yeah, point of pride, there...(RJ sarcasm).
thanks

Are you talking about satellite drop-outs?

Don't  you have an AM radio in your car?

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3666 on: May 02, 2023, 07:33:02 pm »
Thanks for question.
   Part of my (omitted) point, is that many car sales today do not have a 'radio'.  I had to consider which thread to post this, as just a couple subject lines away is a good thread on inclusion / exclusion of regular (RF with antenna) classic radio, in deference to that big, 14 inch screen that the car-makers are putting in late models. 
   But also, my friendly local drug store always used to carry a $21 AM/FM radio, which is not sold now.  Comparisons to that are clear, as you turn switch on, and done...unless batteries got low.
Then, there were no 'drop-outs', and, by the way, it appears that never dropping out, during commercials, (although I need to carefully test that.

It's all really in similar vein, to that other thread, nearby, on having simple, practical vs a smart touch screen doing everything...or smart speaker deal.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3667 on: May 08, 2023, 12:46:52 pm »
Thanks for question.
   Part of my (omitted) point, is that many car sales today do not have a 'radio'.  I had to consider which thread to post this, as just a couple subject lines away is a good thread on inclusion / exclusion of regular (RF with antenna) classic radio, in deference to that big, 14 inch screen that the car-makers are putting in late models. 
   But also, my friendly local drug store always used to carry a $21 AM/FM radio, which is not sold now.  Comparisons to that are clear, as you turn switch on, and done...unless batteries got low.
Then, there were no 'drop-outs', and, by the way, it appears that never dropping out, during commercials, (although I need to carefully test that.

It's all really in similar vein, to that other thread, nearby, on having simple, practical vs a smart touch screen doing everything...or smart speaker deal.

I like older cars for exactly those reasons...  cars with real knobs and buttons,  with AM/FM radios, etc.!    - I recently rented a 2023 car in the UK, everything was on touch screen and my passenger had to spend a long time figuring out how to control the heating/AC, and the radio.   There is no way that I could have done that safely while driving. 

The people that design the touchscreen systems for cars are the most inept user interface designers, they must have been selected specifically for their lack of skill and common sense -  it cannot possibly happen at random!  How is it possible to make something that only needs a couple of buttons so hard to use?  It takes real talent to do that!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 12:48:43 pm by SilverSolder »

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Online Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3668 on: May 09, 2023, 04:14:18 pm »
Today I experienced the general practice in my town is unable to provide me a referral letter to hospital per email. This was because their amazingly f*cked up ICT system is unable to email me when I leave the field for the mobile phone number empty. I do have a normal landline number which is actually Voip, but they can't accept that. But still, it is just a plain old email I want to receive.

I get f*cking angry it seems that everything requires a mobile phone nowadays.
goto considered awesome!

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Kim Christensen

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3669 on: May 09, 2023, 04:36:52 pm »
In those cases I usually enter an obviously fake number (1234567890 or whatever format is needed). Of course, it's counterproductive if they'll only contact you via that :)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3670 on: May 09, 2023, 06:30:35 pm »
Today I experienced the general practice in my town is unable to provide me a referral letter to hospital per email. This was because their amazingly f*cked up ICT system is unable to email me when I leave the field for the mobile phone number empty. I do have a normal landline number which is actually Voip, but they can't accept that. But still, it is just a plain old email I want to receive.

Obviously the phone number is now a de facto, unregulated, ID number.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3671 on: May 09, 2023, 11:02:58 pm »
I like older cars for exactly those reasons...  cars with real knobs and buttons,  with AM/FM radios, etc.!    - I recently rented a 2023 car in the UK, everything was on touch screen and my passenger had to spend a long time figuring out how to control the heating/AC, and the radio.   There is no way that I could have done that safely while driving. 

The people that design the touchscreen systems for cars are the most inept user interface designers, they must have been selected specifically for their lack of skill and common sense -  it cannot possibly happen at random!  How is it possible to make something that only needs a couple of buttons so hard to use?  It takes real talent to do that!

It's probably interns or young grads that don't drive. They've never spent enough time behind the wheel to understand the importance of being able to operate everything without taking your eyes off the road.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3672 on: May 11, 2023, 12:14:01 pm »

Obviously the phone number is now a de facto, unregulated, ID number.

It's not unregulated.  It's open season.  In the UK you cannot get a simcard activated without a credit or debit card in the name of the person registered to the number.  This is regulatory to try and prevent "Burner phones" being used by criminal gangs.

What it also means is that every mobile phone number has official documentation linking it to the legal (at least financially) identity of the person whom it is registered to.

It is also a brilliant seed search for social engineering or hacking an invididual and can often yield quite a lot of information about a person, from their facebook to their linked in.

The last 4 digits of your phone number are also used in many authentication protocols.

So it has significantly high value as a piece of PII you really should look after it and consider who gets it.

As an asides rant, peeve.  Work.  Work asking for your personal mobile number.  Customers asking for your mobile number!  The last time this happened I completely blank ignored the request.  They followed up with an email which contained a table of invidividuals, the name, phone numbers, timezones, "place of work", personal email addresses.

"THIS!  THIS!  Is why you cannot have my phone number you fucking imbeciles!  You work in a fucking bank I should report you all to the securtity officer, start an investigation into where else my PII has gone under GDPR AND file for damages for the leakage of personal information!"

I didn't hit send.  I just raised it directly with my HR department as a "proxy" complaint.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 12:22:31 pm by paulca »
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3673 on: May 11, 2023, 12:32:35 pm »

It's probably interns or young grads that don't drive. They've never spent enough time behind the wheel to understand the importance of being able to operate everything without taking your eyes off the road.

I have nightmares still about being followed in traffic by "young grads".  Constantly looking in the mirror to see the top of their head as it's down in their lap.  As traffic moves forward, you proceed forward, a 20 yard gap builds behind.  Suddenly the young'un looks up, looks aggrivated at the distraction from social media and accelerates towards you....  then it's the top of the head again while they approach..... closer... closer.... top of the head... closer... closer....   I'm reaching for the horn now...  finally they look up and slam the brakes on, stop and IMMEDIATELY it's "top of the head again".

One day I got so stressed after this happened 10 times in a row, I was so close to getting out and going and having a chat with the person face to face about it.  Probably resulting in their phone finding itself in the fast lane under a lorry.

Instead, I took the next turn and found another way home.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, james_s, RJSV

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3674 on: June 09, 2023, 10:44:03 pm »
   My niece, in her 40's would likely respond positively, to complaints about new technology, and about 'social media', and is often at the center, when somebody needs help with, for example, signing up to use UBER ride sharing.  But my attitude is different (grumpy), and I expect more than "just figure it out".

So, UBER or Lyft are just examples, but the PET PEEVE is concerned with the instructability issue, that also involves various KEYBOARD short-cuts and effectively no access to clear instructions.  She would likely shrug it off, saying " Yeah I guess".  Now I suppose maybe it's the expectation that differs, between generations...

Pressing the cellphone rt. hand side 'square thingy' and maybe just a split-second too long...and the phone goes into 'Collections:   Add to collection'.    What the hell does that mean ?  (Rhetorical: Don't answer that).  It's a smartphone feature, I get that, and a younger generation will try it and find out what that particular 'nuance' has in store for user.
A newer thing, DRAG across the phone keyboard, and you've got a 'trail' staring at you, on the screen.  Yeah I know somebody could, randomly, tell me what that does...and then 'scold' me for being so backwards as to question; "What does squiggle squiggle tap squiggle do, on a Tuesday, exactly ?".

So, I'm trapped, somewhat.  I've mentioned before, (several times), having purchased 'Android for Dummies' ...that dang book is somewhere in the room now.  But why can't Google (choak) put out explanation, when introducing 'Squiggle squiggle tap, tap will get you, when tap is 330 milliseconds, will get you to airport reservations'.  That way (I) can decide.
   My phone, at 3 years old, is now getting system message:
   'Server not supported' ...
I thought there were updates, downloaded.  But, again, where do I go for 'update ANDROID' action?

But cheaper phone once per year ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf