General > General Technical Chat

Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.

<< < (796/807) > >>

Circlotron:

--- Quote from: PlainName on February 08, 2024, 11:23:30 am ---
--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on February 08, 2024, 12:54:02 am ---Anything requiring a mobile app to function is by nature planned obsolescence.

--- End quote ---

Disagree. It's just simplifying the number of products they need to support, in much the same way that a web UI removes the need to program for Mac, Windows, Linux one version, Linux another distro, etc. So while it may well cause premature obsolescence, it's not planned per se.

--- End quote ---
If that app goes via a remote website rather than communicate directly with the target device, then if that website goes dark, or worse still, they intentionally make things incompatible after a period of time so you have to buy a newer one...

PlainName:
Yes, but that's because it's cheap and quick to do it like that. I really doubt they're  thinking, "Hey, if we take the cheap and quick route we can obsolete the product sooner!" No, abandoning isn't intentional at the design stage, which was my point. It's something that will surely result but as collateral damage to other aims.

mendip_discovery:

--- Quote from: PlainName on February 08, 2024, 12:30:41 pm ---Yes, but that's because it's cheap and quick to do it like that. I really doubt they're  thinking, "Hey, if we take the cheap and quick route we can obsolete the product sooner!" No, abandoning isn't intentional at the design stage, which was my point. It's something that will surely result but as collateral damage to other aims.

--- End quote ---

I would argue that. I am sure some are aware that without a obsolescence plan they may loose out on revenue. There are tales of games developers not caring so much about the story or playability, they just want to know what extras they can add as a extra to make more. This week I was asked to look at a viscosity meter that is in ok condition, but the manufacturer has removed support for it, including calibration as its obsolete.

I will agree its quicker and easier and I suspect the sales team keep bleating an about it being the way that customers want to interact with the product, as they refresh thier x account screen on the latest buzzwords.

PlainName:

--- Quote from: mendip_discovery on February 08, 2024, 06:35:37 pm ---
--- Quote from: PlainName on February 08, 2024, 12:30:41 pm ---Yes, but that's because it's cheap and quick to do it like that. I really doubt they're  thinking, "Hey, if we take the cheap and quick route we can obsolete the product sooner!" No, abandoning isn't intentional at the design stage, which was my point. It's something that will surely result but as collateral damage to other aims.

--- End quote ---

I would argue that.
--- End quote ---

No doubt :)

--- Quote ---There are tales of games developers not caring so much about the story or playability, they just want to know what extras they can add as a extra to make more.

--- End quote ---

Not the same thing. In fact, they don't want the game to become obsolete because if it does they won't be able to sell more addons for it. The extras don't make it obsolete - they extend the life!

--- Quote --- This week I was asked to look at a viscosity meter that is in ok condition, but the manufacturer has removed support for it, including calibration as its obsolete.

--- End quote ---

That would kind of match if there is no need for calibration or, if there is a need, only the manufacturer can calibrate it. But I would still be unsurprised if the design aim in that case is to provide ongoing revenue stream, and obsolescence being collateral after the fact.

RJSV:
   The 'asymmetrical blob of white beard' that seems so popular, with men younger than fully grey...   So due to the whole COVID masking thing the lazy folks got used to just...pop on a mask, instead of regular hygiene.
I've done that.   But somewhere along the line, I've realized, after repeated encounters, that the sloppy habit has taken hold, and it's the age 25-30 crowd that looks a bit tacky and dated.
  Petty thing, but I'd advise; Go full out: shave the sucker, or dye that little patch, at age 27 or whatever...(slobs!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version