Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 440736 times)

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #400 on: December 04, 2020, 12:52:09 pm »
Our new/old 'Pet-Peeve' for the majority of Australians???...
Having other Countries tell US how to behave in our own Country!!!
Grand-Kids (school) "Not Allowed" to have sandwiches containing 'ham' in case it 'offends' some people here??!!!
This will probably be deleted, but is a REAL problem here!!! (Could list 100 other examples off my head).  >:D

Edit...
Look, I don't care how any individual/group cares to personally live. Pray to their own gods, dress how they choose,
make pilgrimages, bow down in certain directions, or stuff 'notes' into a brick wall, drink or don't drink, believe what
ever you want... But just don't demand from the country that 'accepts' you to change their attitudes & laws just to
accommodate YOU!! That is the ULTIMATE insult.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:08:26 pm by GlennSprigg »
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron, Cubdriver

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #401 on: December 04, 2020, 02:31:48 pm »
[...] Grand-Kids (school) "Not Allowed" to have sandwiches containing 'ham' [...]

That cannot possibly be true...  can it  ????

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #402 on: December 05, 2020, 10:49:18 pm »
It is, and its not just Aus it happens to, those things happen here as well.

Online AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #403 on: December 06, 2020, 12:35:05 am »
Christmas Holidays being called December Holidays. If you want to be "all inclusive" leave the traditional name and give us a public holiday for all the other special religious days of the year.
I for one, am all for a month off during Ramadan  :-+

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #404 on: December 06, 2020, 03:54:55 am »
Organisations and workplaces that blather on about "diversity" and inclusiveness" and yet when you express a point of view that is different to theirs, they are the first ones to jump down your throat. If they were true to their principles they would actually include an idea that diverges from their own.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, CatalinaWOW, james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #405 on: December 06, 2020, 04:12:38 am »
Fritzing diagrams. I can't stand them! I cringe every time I see an interesting looking project only to find that instead of a proper easy to read schematic it has a stupid Fritzing diagram and usually not even one that is neatly drawn. It just looks like a rats nest of wires that is difficult and error prone to follow. Some may argue that it's good for beginners and to some extent I can agree, it's appropriate maybe for the first few circuits in a child's first electronic experimenters kit but that's it. Beyond that it serves as a crutch that delays the mandatory skill of learning to read a schematic diagram which holds people back.

The following users thanked this post: DeanA, SilverSolder, Sredni, Labrat101

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #406 on: December 07, 2020, 07:33:45 am »
Our new/old 'Pet-Peeve' for the majority of Australians???...
Having other Countries tell US how to behave in our own Country!!!
Grand-Kids (school) "Not Allowed" to have sandwiches containing 'ham' in case it 'offends' some people here??!!!
This will probably be deleted, but is a REAL problem here!!! (Could list 100 other examples off my head).  >:D

Edit...
Look, I don't care how any individual/group cares to personally live. Pray to their own gods, dress how they choose,
make pilgrimages, bow down in certain directions, or stuff 'notes' into a brick wall, drink or don't drink, believe what
ever you want... But just don't demand from the country that 'accepts' you to change their attitudes & laws just to
accommodate YOU!! That is the ULTIMATE insult.

It may not be anything to do with upsetting "some people". (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

It is not unusual for people to be allergic to pork, ham, bacon & other similar products
My Mum used to get violently sick if she ate some---she would cook it for us, though.

I'm a bit allergic to pork if it is cooked rare (so it is pretty much still oinking)-------no problem with well cooked pork, or processed stuff, like ham, bacon, salami, etc.

Other people are allergic to peanuts (common), or as in my Son's case, mushrooms.
Schools are paranoid about being responsible for anyone having any sort of attack due to food they allow.

Anything with nuts in it is commonly banned.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #407 on: December 07, 2020, 10:11:18 am »
It is not unusual for people to be allergic to pork, ham, bacon & other similar products
People need to get hookworms, then.  (A recent study showed that at least half of people who believed they had food allergies, did not.  Hookworms are known to alleviate (even completely get rid of) allergies, and although icky, aren't dangerous if one monitors ones blood and hemoglobin levels regularly.)

The race to the bottom, to the lowest common denominator, will transform humans into eusocial hive-beings.  The line must be drawn somewhere.  I draw it here.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #408 on: December 08, 2020, 05:24:11 am »
People need to get hookworms, then.  (A recent study showed that at least half of people who believed they had food allergies, did not.  Hookworms are known to alleviate (even completely get rid of) allergies, and although icky, aren't dangerous if one monitors ones blood and hemoglobin levels regularly.)

The race to the bottom, to the lowest common denominator, will transform humans into eusocial hive-beings.  The line must be drawn somewhere.  I draw it here.

Sorry, but your "recent study" sounds like nonsense.
People have had allergies since there have been people--- they just learn to avoid food or other things  that affect them.
Hookworms have also been around, but people still had allergies.

I will give you that  in earlier years, the standard allergy tests often gave false positives.
I was supposed to be allergic to peanuts, but it turns out I'm not!

As a kid, I was very allergic to pollen from Australia's national flower, the Golden Wattle, & many of its close relatives, so I avoided them.
I was also allergic to the smoke which emanated from Superphosphate factories, & to the finished product, both of which it was hard to avoid.

At the time, it was fashionable amongst some to attribute Asthma to psychological causes, which turned out to be bollocks, when diagnostic & treatment technology advanced enough that an attack could be detected early & allieviated  or suppressed.

Psychobabble never had the slightest effect!

Of course, nowadays, things have gone full circle--- the reaction to someone revealing they suffer from Asthma is "Oh my God, don't die on me!"

The received wisdom is now that you don't grow out of Asthma, but myself, & many Old Farts are here to say you do, at least, effectively.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #409 on: December 08, 2020, 07:51:20 am »
Allergies can also change over time, as far as I know it isn't really known what actually causes them. Starting from about the age of 10 I was horribly allergic to grass and many tree pollens, my nose was always runny and for several months out of the summer even taking medication for it I would open the door and could just feel my sinuses swell up to where I could barely breath through my nose at all. Itchy eyes, sneezing, the whole mess. In recent years it's been a lot better, I still take antihistamine if I'm camping or mowing the lawn or something but most of the time I don't need it. My partner has the opposite problem, she used to love peanut butter but has gradually developed an allergy to peanuts and nuts in general. We're not even sure how serious it is now because nut allergies are something you don't want to mess around with but last year I ate a few handfuls of mixed nuts at my mom's place and then when I touched her arm it made a red itchy spot. 

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #410 on: December 08, 2020, 02:10:27 pm »

Sorry, but your "recent study" sounds like nonsense.
Sure, and you sound like an idiot stuck in his beliefs, but that does not make it so.

Wherever hookworms are endemic, severe food allergies are almost nonexistent. Look it up.  They do not affect lactose intolerance or pre-existing asthma, but they do statistically almost eliminate food allergies – including celiac's disease and Crohn's disease, and the emergence of asthma.

If we consider human evolution, this all makes sense.  Humans have evolved to be able to handle a parasitic load, especially hookworms (since even today, almost 500 million people are infected with them).  These parasites suppress the immune system in specific ways.  When completely absent, immune system response is way too strong, leading to allergies, Crohn's disease, and so on.

Non-food allergies, like being allergic to animal dandruff, can be effectively treated with intolerance therapy: very controlled exposeure to the irritant to reduce the immune system response.

(Because it is more commercially viable to sell people antihistamines than actually examine the almost endemic parasitic load to see their effects on the human immune system and produce proper modulants, thus far drug companies have only investigated how to eradicate helminths, instead of their positive effects.  All helminth (hookworm) therapy studies have been done by universities.  David Pritchard at University of Nottingham, UK, is probably the leading expert on the matter right now.)

(I am not saying I hope lots of people get infected with hookworms; I am saying their effect on human immune systems should be duplicated by safe supplements.  In the mean time, anyone with really severe food allergies, really need to try intolerance therapy.  If they cannot, then helminth therapy is a possibility.)

Banning ham because some people are allergic to it is sheer idiocy.  (Nuts, and all powdery substances I can understand; those are non-contact effects, and would interfere with intolerance therapy and so on.  But not fish, eggs, meat, etc.  If you're that sick, you need to isolate.)

Like Mark Twain said, "Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
Instead of censoring others, we should control ourselves.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 02:16:47 pm by Nominal Animal »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #411 on: December 08, 2020, 02:37:18 pm »
Like Mark Twain said, "Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."

1. That's not censorship.

2. Mark Twain never said it. In fact, no-one ever said it. It's a misquote of "It’s like demanding that grown men live on skim milk because the baby can’t eat steak", from Robert Heinlein's The Man Who Sold the Moon.

You're welcome :)

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #412 on: December 08, 2020, 03:45:17 pm »
You're welcome :)
:palm:

You're very good at picking at the deficiencies of the expression, rather than considering the content of the expression, aren't you?  You'd make a very good politician or a corporate lackey, I think.

Offline AkiTaiyo

• Contributor
« Reply #413 on: December 08, 2020, 03:50:54 pm »
Animated turn-signals on cars bug me. They feel very gimmicky whilst (imo) being less visible.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #414 on: December 08, 2020, 05:41:45 pm »
Animated turn-signals on cars bug me. They feel very gimmicky whilst (imo) being less visible.

I tend to agree.
But also, I believe that all turn signals should be made to blink no less than 3 times even if the turn signal lever is barely touched.  This cures those who give only a half-blink when turning or changing lanes.  Why has no car maker done this?
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #415 on: December 08, 2020, 06:12:17 pm »

I tend to agree.
But also, I believe that all turn signals should be made to blink no less than 3 times even if the turn signal lever is barely touched.  This cures those who give only a half-blink when turning or changing lanes.  Why has no car maker done this?

Subaru has this feature. The Crosstrek XV 2015 has it. So, this is not old.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #416 on: December 08, 2020, 07:08:16 pm »
[...]

This is actually present in a lot of cars today.

And I think the animated blinkers look cool, especially on old American cars!

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #417 on: December 08, 2020, 08:19:43 pm »

I tend to agree.
There is nothing more annoying when the car in front indicates in one direction and then goes the
opposite way   :palm:
  They need a third indicate for those people that can't make up their Minds   :-//
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #418 on: December 08, 2020, 08:40:45 pm »
Most cars have the lane changer where a quick push of the lever blinks three times, I can never hit it just right to make it work though.

I hate the new animated brake lights that flash, I see the brake light come on and apply my brakes then it goes off so I release mine then it comes on again so I apply mine again, etc.  So now when I see a brake light I have to wait to see if its going to stay on or not.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #419 on: December 08, 2020, 10:04:33 pm »
I think it would be cool to have bar graph type brake lights that start at the edge and grow towards the centre. The harder you brake the more they come on. As it is now, you don’t know whether the driver in front is just taking a few k’s off or trying to stop running under the back of a stationary truck.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #420 on: December 09, 2020, 12:22:52 am »
You're very good at picking at the deficiencies of the expression, rather than considering the content of the expression, aren't you?

Trying to be helpful. A non-sequitur doesn't illustrate whatever point you're trying to make and just confuses things.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #421 on: December 09, 2020, 12:26:22 am »
You're very good at picking at the deficiencies of the expression, rather than considering the content of the expression, aren't you?
Trying to be helpful. A non-sequitur doesn't illustrate whatever point you're trying to make and just confuses things.
You're failing, badly, at being helpful.  You might consider some completely different approach, for better results.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:27:59 am by Nominal Animal »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #422 on: December 09, 2020, 01:59:00 am »
You're failing, badly, at being helpful.  You might consider some completely different approach, for better results.

Yeah, maybe call you an "idiot" or a "lackey", but then again, most people don't become "all bent out of shape" if their comments are disputed. ;D

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #423 on: December 09, 2020, 02:23:30 am »
I forgot about these new crappy Kias and Hundays that are putting the turn signals as low on the bumper as possible to hide them from other cars.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #424 on: December 09, 2020, 03:04:23 am »
I forgot about these new crappy Kias and Hundays that are putting the turn signals as low on the bumper as possible to hide them from other cars.
That reminds me, in Australia, in the state of Victoria at least, with vehicles like Toyota Land Cruiser and Nissan Patrol and similar you can get a rear bumper bar with tail, brake and indicator lights built in. If you fit one of these, the normal lights that are much higher up and more easily visible must be disconnected! That’s the law! How stupid is that???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf