Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 459466 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #600 on: January 28, 2021, 01:15:28 pm »
Yea... First we just had LGB or GLB, then we had to add Trans, etc etc. So now it's...
L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+ to try to cover them all... (The + sign to cover future addendum's!)
I'm not against them, but why not include ALL people, 'S' straight, or 'U' for undecided !!  8)

In that case maybe we could just shorten it to LG+. I don't really understand this trend of trying to separately name every possible variation of something. We don't generally use 50 different names for all the shades of green or whatever. People are individuals, no matter how many buckets you have there will always be someone who doesn't quite fit into one of them so why have so many buckets?

Sorry, I'll get off this branch here... (I started the 'L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+' thing...). I don't have a personal problem at all, with
anyone in this regard and I know many!  The only problem I noticed right back from when my boys were in BoyScouts
and played Football etc, is the LOGISTICAL problems!!  Boys (here) can't join 'GirlGuides', but girls can join BoyScouts.
A 'girl' may be transgender now, but what do you do in regards to change-rooms or toilets etc?? for football too etc...
And when a Girl was with BoyScouts, she had to have a woman chaperone, and used up a 6 person tent on her own
so the boys had to crowd into what was remaining. The Scout Hall even had to build a separate toilet/change-room
for her. (She left after a few months). These are the things that need to be taken into account too!!   :P

As the Brother of a Gay Sister Glenn where do you get of other than one handed typing! Undecided is grossly offensive >:(

Other than that  :bullshit: this is an Electronics forum so take your personal opinions and piss off to which ever cellar you like!
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #601 on: January 28, 2021, 01:36:28 pm »
Yea... First we just had LGB or GLB, then we had to add Trans, etc etc. So now it's...
L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+ to try to cover them all... (The + sign to cover future addendum's!)
I'm not against them, but why not include ALL people, 'S' straight, or 'U' for undecided !!  8)

In that case maybe we could just shorten it to LG+. I don't really understand this trend of trying to separately name every possible variation of something. We don't generally use 50 different names for all the shades of green or whatever. People are individuals, no matter how many buckets you have there will always be someone who doesn't quite fit into one of them so why have so many buckets?

Sorry, I'll get off this branch here... (I started the 'L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+' thing...). I don't have a personal problem at all, with
anyone in this regard and I know many!  The only problem I noticed right back from when my boys were in BoyScouts
and played Football etc, is the LOGISTICAL problems!!  Boys (here) can't join 'GirlGuides', but girls can join BoyScouts.
A 'girl' may be transgender now, but what do you do in regards to change-rooms or toilets etc?? for football too etc...
And when a Girl was with BoyScouts, she had to have a woman chaperone, and used up a 6 person tent on her own
so the boys had to crowd into what was remaining. The Scout Hall even had to build a separate toilet/change-room
for her. (She left after a few months). These are the things that need to be taken into account too!!   :P

As the Brother of a Gay Sister Glenn where do you get of other than one handed typing! Undecided is grossly offensive >:(

Other than that  :bullshit: this is an Electronics forum so take your personal opinions and piss off to which ever cellar you like!

WOW!!  You really are a nasty bully piece of work.  If you read anything, including some other peoples followup comments,
(about 10 or 15??), you would realize I'm talking now about the LOGISTICS. I couldn't give a @#$%ing rats arse about your
'sister'. Good on her! I have family & friends that are too... What's your point??????
As for "Not on an electronics forum"... you dip shit!! This original post was about 'Pet Peeves tech or otherwise'... 
And wasn't started by ME!!!  So go crawl back in your OWN insecure little world! Boy, are you fucked up & wrong!!   :box:
I make NO apologies about my response here.  :phew:
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #602 on: January 28, 2021, 01:42:06 pm »
"Undecided" you go tell your apparent people you know they are undecided and see how they respond!

You want to allow pet peeves that are  off topic then low lifes like you are a peeve!

Post 581 is yours and I find ZERO posts before your  :bullshit:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:49:45 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #603 on: January 28, 2021, 02:37:12 pm »
"Undecided" you go tell your apparent people you know they are undecided and see how they respond!
I would call gender fluid “undecided”.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #604 on: January 28, 2021, 02:49:45 pm »
I would call gender fluid “undecided”.

This also isn't able to cover it even remotely. Gender identification & Sexual orientation are not able to be covered by a single term and are really nothing to do with each other.

Reducing peoples identities to 'undecided' remains WRONG.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #605 on: January 28, 2021, 07:39:12 pm »
Somebody has hit a nerve.

Maybe that should be added as one of my pet peeves. The way some people fly off the handle and blow a gasket over stuff that just seems trivial and completely unimportant to me. I really don't understand why the perceptions others have over one's identity would be a big deal. I've never had anyone confuse my gender but if they do I can't even comprehend being upset by it, I mean whatever, I can't control how they perceive me and I don't care. The perception and pronouns someone uses to describe me have absolutely zero impact on my self worth. It has become such a minefield that there are people I'd rather just not associate with, not because I have any problem with them being whoever they are but due to the risk of triggering their ire due to my own lack of social skills and empathy. I refuse the play the identity politics game, and I refuse to get on the euphemism treadmill. I perceive these things as a completely superfluous waste of time and I cannot even process why they are of more than passing importance to anyone.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, GlennSprigg, Labrat101, E-Design

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #606 on: January 28, 2021, 10:21:37 pm »
WOW!!  You really are a nasty bully piece of work.  If you read anything, including some other peoples followup comments,
(about 10 or 15??), you would realize I'm talking now about the LOGISTICS. I couldn't give a @#$%ing rats arse about your
'sister'. Good on her! I have family & friends that are too... What's your point??????
As for "Not on an electronics forum"... you dip shit!! This original post was about 'Pet Peeves tech or otherwise'... 
And wasn't started by ME!!!  So go crawl back in your OWN insecure little world! Boy, are you fucked up & wrong!!   :box:
I make NO apologies about my response here.  :phew:

Glenn, please exit this thread now before you get booted out of it.

The following users thanked this post: Labrat101, gerber

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #607 on: January 28, 2021, 10:25:51 pm »
WOW ..  :o :box: :scared:

I think That the Subject Needs to be changed ASP  .

Nice COOL    :popcorn:
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #608 on: January 28, 2021, 11:57:55 pm »
Another annoying peeve: The Amazon FireTV UI returns you to the main screen after only a few minutes when pausing a show. This is ridiculous. When I hit the pause button, I want it to stay right where I am, even if I don't hit the play button again for a week.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #609 on: January 29, 2021, 12:05:19 am »
Yet another peeve: One place I've worked had wall-mounted thermostats and the company put a locked plastic case over the thermostats. That's fine, if they set a reasonable temperature, but at this place the cheap bastards set the temperature way too low in the winter and way too high in the summer to try to save money, the comfort of the employees be damned. This being an engineering company, it didn't take us poor sods long to figure out a solution: mount a soldering iron under the thermostat's case in the summer and a liberal use of component freeze spray in the winter. Worked like a charm.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 02:10:44 am by Sal Ammoniac »
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #610 on: January 29, 2021, 12:18:01 am »
Yet another peeve: One place I've worked had wall-mounted thermostats and the company put a locked plastic case over the thermostats. That's fine, if they set a reasonable temperature, but at this place the cheap bastards set the temperature way too low in the winter and way too high in the summer to try to save money, the comfort of the employees be damned. This being an engineering company, it didn't take us poor sods long to figure out a solution: mount a soldering iron under the thermostat's case in the summer and a liberal use of component freeze spay in the winter. Worked like a charm.

I remember a place that had those. I pretty quickly figured out I could reach a straightened paperclip through one of the slots and twiddle the dial with it. A strategically placed desk lamp also worked back in the incandescent days. On one occasion the building maintenance guy dropped in and asked us to move the lamp because the guy in the next room was "freezing his balls off".

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #611 on: January 29, 2021, 02:05:42 am »
Yet another peeve: One place I've worked had wall-mounted thermostats and the company put a locked plastic case over the thermostats. That's fine, if they set a reasonable temperature, but at this place the cheap bastards set the temperature way too low in the winter and way too high in the summer to try to save money, the comfort of the employees be damned. This being an engineering company, it didn't take us poor sods long to figure out a solution: mount a soldering iron under the thermostat's case in the summer and a liberal use of component freeze spay in the winter. Worked like a charm.

My Mom was in hospital a few years ago and another old girl in her room had a very home-grown solution to the thermostat problem:  Get a small towel (or whatever), soak it in cold water and drape it over the thermostat box.  It worked every time.
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #612 on: January 31, 2021, 08:34:58 pm »
My electronics related

power saving mode when it not needed,  times-out on LCD displays.

it had a clock and 5 other unwanted modes .  its more complicated then needed.

wrong type of display for the control interface.  3 digit 7 segment, when you need a full character display

too many or too little buttons.

no reset button  or go back button or undo.

too many unknown icons on buttons. lack of text on the control interface. 

poor contrast or text and or icons in pastel colors.  hard to see control interface.

its made to sit vertical. it has a vertical dvd Blu-ray tray.  on gaming consoles but not on high-end Ultra HD Blu-ray players  

you need a phone app to use it. even though its a stand-alone device with its own buttons.

its more then 20 kg or 44 lbs but has no hand grip or handles.

plastic molded plugs that have little or no strain relief cable gland. so the kettle plug cable gets pulled out.

plastic device case, that has hard to see raised molded plastic text.  when recessed text can have a different color paint added to the text.

only one cheap remote control, when the device costs 100 times as much. how hard is it to add a his & Hers spare remote.
for the life of the device.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 11:10:48 pm by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, E-Design

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #613 on: February 01, 2021, 12:44:21 am »
I'm not sure if I've grumped about this before, but DMMs with a "power saving" feature that shuts the thing down right in the middle of doing a measurement.

My old Fluke77 does power down, but it waits until the thing has not shown a reading other than zero / OL
for a reasonable time, but the new " hi-tech" things apparently use a "dumb" timer.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Gregg, basinstreetdesign, james_s, HobGoblyn

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #614 on: February 01, 2021, 01:08:17 am »
I'm not sure if I've grumped about this before, but DMMs with a "power saving" feature that shuts the thing down right in the middle of doing a measurement.

My old Fluke77 does power down, but it waits until the thing has not shown a reading other than zero / OL
for a reasonable time, but the new " hi-tech" things apparently use a "dumb" timer.

I hate that too. At least with my 87 you can hold down a button as you turn it on to disable the shutoff, it would be nice if it was a persistent option though.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #615 on: February 01, 2021, 04:02:07 am »
Razor sharp edges on stamped metal chassises.

I've got an overactive immune system, so those papercuts always got inflamed.  Painful.
Then I found that the silver-coated bandaids (antibacterial) do work, so when I used those on my fingers for a day, no more painful inflamed papercut issues.
And now I found out that antibacterial bandaids are considered a no-no now, so one cannot get them here anymore.  Dammit!

(No, I'm not an antibacterial fan, and I don't drink colloidal silver for some foo-fah reason.  Metals like silver and copper do kill bacteria and viruses, though.  I consider them appropriate for when the tips of your pokey bits get inflamed otherwise.  And also within the risky triangle (mouth-nose area, where infections can more easily pass into the brain).  I don't use them elsewhere, though.)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #616 on: February 01, 2021, 04:25:27 am »
Surely the answer is to buy only copper or silver chassis to skip the middleman.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #617 on: February 01, 2021, 04:59:59 am »
Surely the answer is to buy only copper or silver chassis to skip the middleman.
No, they should be made of solid gold or platinum, since those are biocompatible.

A truly nefarious company would make them out of solid nickel, because many people get an allergic reaction off nickel.

The other option with those chassis papercuts is to use disinfectant gel, but then I leave fingerprints everywhere.  If I put a bandaid or something on top of the gel, the bandaid slides around, like wearing two sets of gloves, so I get almost zero tactile feedback.  With my bumbly sausage-fingers, I'm then about as effective as replacing my fingers with actual sausages.  (Since I'm a partial to good sausages, I'd be likely to chomp them off in my sleep, so that's not a solution either.)

Those silver bandaids really were the bees knees for fingertip papercuts. :'(

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #618 on: February 01, 2021, 05:16:49 am »

A few drops of colloidal silver on a regular band-aid?

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #619 on: February 01, 2021, 06:18:55 am »
Would it work?  I don't know.

Bare silver and copper surfaces destroy bacterial and viral cell/encasement surfaces on contact, that's how they work.  Does colloidal silver do the same?  I dunno.

The reason the bandaids are no longer sold here is exactly because they're antibacterial, by the way.  (They used to be sold at pharmacies, and were actual scientifically verified working products; this is not the kind of pseudoscience drinking colloidal silver is.)  By overusing antibacterial "tools" we're just selecting for stronger bacteria, so banning them does make sense...  but for this particular use case (as well as some others, like say wound coverings after surgery), the antibacterial nature is actually preferable even considering the bigger picture.

What I haven't checked, are wound adhesives.  (Basically cyanoacrylate glues.)  My body produces quite "stiff" scar tissue, and I already have one annoying subcutaneous scar tissue clump in a finger pad.  Papercuts don't tend to be that deep, so maybe gluing them closed would work.

I'm not sure if there are gloves that would protect against handling those almost-serrated stamped metal edges.  Even just a tight grip can cause some cuts; you don't need to drag your fingies along the edge.  They're so small that I'm not sure even puncture-proof gloves can protect against them.  I've mentioned before that I actually prefer taking a file or some sandpaper to the edges before building a PC, because I find these stamped metal edges so annoying.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:22:12 am by Nominal Animal »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #620 on: February 01, 2021, 06:21:46 am »
Try kevlar glove liners. Yes, they're a thing.

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #621 on: February 01, 2021, 07:57:28 am »
One thing that drives me nuts here in Canada is one of the habits TV news editors have when showing an interview.  The graphic tag line that shows who is being interviewed stays on the screen for about 1.7 seconds!  Who reads that fast?  And it doesn't matter how much, or little, text is there, it's impossible to read it all in that time.  That much time can elapse just with recognizing that its there and moving your eyes to begin reading it and then, poof! it's gone.  And if there is an unfamiliar acronym or lengthy multi-word descriptor, forget it! :rant:  :scared:
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #622 on: February 01, 2021, 08:19:36 am »
What I haven't checked, are wound adhesives.

I use them on and off. My issue is lack of clotting, so a trivial wound can seep for a long time. The plastic skin works fine, although it stings like buggery when first applied. Presumably superglue would work as well, but the proper stuff isn't that expensive and you know it hasn't got any toxic additives.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #623 on: February 01, 2021, 11:49:07 am »
Pet peeve, blue backlights on LCD devices with an already poor contrast ratio and viewing angle, so you cannot see the display, and the glare drowns it out. Also the use of the teeniest tiniest display possible, with a high dot density, so you literally need a magnifier to read it.  There are plenty of displays though that are tiny, yet perfectly legible, and I had a good number of OLED displays on small media players that I have no issue with, mostly because the display is a white OLED and has good contrast, Transcend and LG seem to have gotten it right, but the others.......

Then Saturday a timer, with a display with a 15 degree usable angle, so I was lying down on the grass to see the display. At least Marley the lab was happy, as she was licking, and brought a few toys to play with. She has not destroyed the fishing float yet, about the only toy that has lasted more than a day with her.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #624 on: February 01, 2021, 05:45:34 pm »
Would it work?  I don't know.

Bare silver and copper surfaces destroy bacterial and viral cell/encasement surfaces on contact, that's how they work.  Does colloidal silver do the same?  I dunno.

The reason the bandaids are no longer sold here is exactly because they're antibacterial, by the way.  (They used to be sold at pharmacies, and were actual scientifically verified working products; this is not the kind of pseudoscience drinking colloidal silver is.)  By overusing antibacterial "tools" we're just selecting for stronger bacteria, so banning them does make sense...  but for this particular use case (as well as some others, like say wound coverings after surgery), the antibacterial nature is actually preferable even considering the bigger picture.

What I haven't checked, are wound adhesives.  (Basically cyanoacrylate glues.)  My body produces quite "stiff" scar tissue, and I already have one annoying subcutaneous scar tissue clump in a finger pad.  Papercuts don't tend to be that deep, so maybe gluing them closed would work.

I'm not sure if there are gloves that would protect against handling those almost-serrated stamped metal edges.  Even just a tight grip can cause some cuts; you don't need to drag your fingies along the edge.  They're so small that I'm not sure even puncture-proof gloves can protect against them.  I've mentioned before that I actually prefer taking a file or some sandpaper to the edges before building a PC, because I find these stamped metal edges so annoying.

I use the "wound glue" every time I have an issue like that -  I like it 100x better than any plaster in terms of both lack of impediment to using your finger afterwards as well as speedy healing. It forms a strong seal over the wound to keep things hygienic.  It works especially well on "gash" type cuts, like paper cuts.  Definitely worth a try IMHO.

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf