Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 450350 times)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #900 on: June 04, 2021, 02:20:57 am »
People who sanctimoniously use English language words from several hundred years ago like thee and thy and thou, particularly in a religious context, as if this obsolete way of speaking is more wonderful and grand and whatever compared to contemporary vernacular speech, despite the fact that that was how ordinary people spoke way back then.

In any case, that wasn't what was actually said by the historical?(religious) figures quoted.
It has been filtered through many translations before it got to the  "King James" Bible.

Interestingly, I have never heard the "on" usage perpetuated by any normal working Priest, Minister, Pastor, or whatever.---- the ones that actually do stuff, like wedding & burial services, good works, etc, & live in the real world.

It always seems to be from these blokes who scream & shriek on TV or Radio, then con the believers into sending them donations so they can continue to live a life of affluence & privilege.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #901 on: June 04, 2021, 02:25:21 am »
... "go ahead"... why is this now said?

Example:

I'm going to go ahead and screw in that light bulb.
I'm going to screw in that light bulb.

In Oz, most people are "gunna change a light globe".

Which leads to another pet peeve------the invasion of silly bloody ES globes to replace our Bayonet cap ones!

The following users thanked this post: johnboxall

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #902 on: June 04, 2021, 03:33:01 am »
... "go ahead"... why is this now said?

Example:

I'm going to go ahead and screw in that light bulb.
I'm going to screw in that light bulb.

In Oz, most people are "gunna change a light globe".

Which leads to another pet peeve------the invasion of silly bloody ES globes to replace our Bayonet cap ones!

Funny.  Here in the states many of the new fixtures use bayonet bases instead of the ES that is standard here.

Now you know they are doing it just to annoy us.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #903 on: June 04, 2021, 03:39:05 am »
Funny.  Here in the states many of the new fixtures use bayonet bases instead of the ES that is standard here.

Now you know they are doing it just to annoy us.

Hm I haven't seen that, unless you mean those weird bi-pin bases that only fit special (expensive) CFL and LED bulbs? I think California mandates those, in typical California style useless feel-good legislation that ignores unintended consequences.

At least you can get adapters for them, or do what I did the one time I encountered a fixture that had them, remove the weird sockets, throw them in the trash and install a set of standard ones.

The European bayonet base lamps are fine, although lamps tend to be a bit wobbly in them. They do have the advantage that the socket shell isn't energized no matter which way it's wired.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #904 on: June 04, 2021, 07:40:04 am »
Why not "Monday to Friday, inclusive?"

I'm a non-American and have never heard that said other than where it might be ambiguous (and that's rare). It's always assumed to be inclusive.

If you think about it, it has to be so. If you said "Monday to Tuesday" then that can only be inclusive, otherwise it's bollocks - why not just say "Monday"?

The following users thanked this post: AlfBaz, SilverSolder

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #905 on: June 09, 2021, 06:31:09 pm »
The PostNord/DPD courier did the same trick now twice in a row: stop in front of the building just long enough to mark the package as "couldn't deliver".  (I made doubly sure the shipping company had full delievery information, from the color of the building to the instructions on how to get inside in less than a second. No dice.)

For the sake of Dog and all that is holy: use a shipping company whose couriers are able to step out of their vans, please.

My language to both the shipping company and now Banggood too (about using such a shitty "courier" company) has become rather... salty.

I'm starting to believe the guys just drive around in empty vans, so they get people to come pick up their packages in another city, queuing hours (since only two customers are permitted inside at a time).  I guess they can hire cheaper drivers that way.  The company is owned by the Swedish and Danish governments; without their subvention, it surely would have gone under by now.

The next time I see a courier, I'll have my cellphone handy, and will upload the video to Youtube, in the hopes it'll become viral.  Nothing less seems to help.  :rant:

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #906 on: June 09, 2021, 06:48:20 pm »
so they get people to come pick up their packages in another city

A delivery company around here tried that on a while back. It was a bummer (not just because I had to go and collect all the time) because they marked it as delivery attempted but no-one in, so it would be my fault if it was returned to sender. I wound up charging them my time and petrol costs for doing their delivery for them, and they were pretty OK after that. Until they folded, anyway.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #907 on: June 09, 2021, 07:56:12 pm »
A delivery company around here tried that on a while back. It was a bummer (not just because I had to go and collect all the time) because they marked it as delivery attempted but no-one in, so it would be my fault if it was returned to sender. I wound up charging them my time and petrol costs for doing their delivery for them, and they were pretty OK after that. Until they folded, anyway.

I have security cameras that cover my driveway and front porch, if they try to say they attempted to deliver something I can send them the video footage for the time range they say they attempted to deliver.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Cubdriver, Nominal Animal

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #908 on: June 10, 2021, 03:28:25 am »
Something that used to be a pet peeve until I understood why - the garbage truck would come down the street and it would pick up a bin while moving forward several metres, empty it, then put the bin down again. Turns out with those particular trucks, the act of revving the engine a bit (and consequently moving forward) would make the hydraulics work faster and so the bin could be lifted and lowered quicker. A method in the madness.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #909 on: June 11, 2021, 01:54:52 pm »
Guess what?  PostNord actually sent the package back to sender without even attempting to deliver it even once.

Unless you call having a probably empty delivery van make an U-turn at my cul-de-sac, without the driver even stepping out, "a delivery attempt".  I just wish I had caught it on video.

It was not expensive, just some ER11 collets worth about 20€, and it remains to be seen if the seller will re-ship it (I hope they do, just use some other shipping company but DPD/PostNord - PostNord handles DPD in Finland, and is known for this kind of fuckery).

Obviously, the seller is quite puzzled as to why the package is being returned.

Funny thing is, PostNord is proud of having its regional center here "temporarily too busy".  As if it is something to be proud of, having customers you're supposed to ship packages to, having to come to another city and queue outside (only two people permitted inside at a time, you see) to be able to get their packages they paid to be delivered to their door.  (Reminds me of the South Park cable company episode, with the employees rubbing their nipples whenever they get to fuck over customers.)

Then again, The Finnish Post has made oddball business choices too, so much so that even though normal letter and parcel services have been profitable, their extra-curricural activities like expanding abroad haven't, so they're cutting domestic services (the profitable ones, since they can cut costs by cutting those without admitting the bosses have made really, really stupid decisions costing taxpayers millions – and get bad service on top, with druggies and whatnot being hired at the sorting centers to pick the best-looking packages for themselves as a perk for the job).  And suggesting their postmen could maybe also cut lawns or something?  (No, not kidding. It's real, look it up.)

It looks like postal services just aren't something current Nordic countries know how to do right.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #910 on: June 11, 2021, 04:34:42 pm »
Guess what?  PostNord actually sent the package back to sender without even attempting to deliver it even once.

Unless you call having a probably empty delivery van make an U-turn at my cul-de-sac, without the driver even stepping out, "a delivery attempt".  I just wish I had caught it on video.

It was not expensive, just some ER11 collets worth about 20€, and it remains to be seen if the seller will re-ship it (I hope they do, just use some other shipping company but DPD/PostNord - PostNord handles DPD in Finland, and is known for this kind of fuckery).

Obviously, the seller is quite puzzled as to why the package is being returned.

Funny thing is, PostNord is proud of having its regional center here "temporarily too busy".  As if it is something to be proud of, having customers you're supposed to ship packages to, having to come to another city and queue outside (only two people permitted inside at a time, you see) to be able to get their packages they paid to be delivered to their door.  (Reminds me of the South Park cable company episode, with the employees rubbing their nipples whenever they get to fuck over customers.)

Then again, The Finnish Post has made oddball business choices too, so much so that even though normal letter and parcel services have been profitable, their extra-curricural activities like expanding abroad haven't, so they're cutting domestic services (the profitable ones, since they can cut costs by cutting those without admitting the bosses have made really, really stupid decisions costing taxpayers millions – and get bad service on top, with druggies and whatnot being hired at the sorting centers to pick the best-looking packages for themselves as a perk for the job).  And suggesting their postmen could maybe also cut lawns or something?  (No, not kidding. It's real, look it up.)

It looks like postal services just aren't something current Nordic countries know how to do right.

Well, you will have to go a long way to get to the service levels SAPO has. Letters might take 6 weeks to get from one box to another in the same post office, they are trying to get a court case to be the sole way to deliver anything below 1kg instead of couriers, but in the same week are closing offices, cutting services and also have a 50% chance of actually delivering anything. The only offices that are open are those doing sales and payments for third party contracts and for doing motor license renewals, the rest are just there to be the place you go to to ask where your parcel with tracking number, which says it is there, is, and they are unable to find it. Oh yes, they also are unable to print, as they have not paid the suppliers who give them stationary, and also postage stamps are often hard to get, if you actually want to send a letter for some reason.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #911 on: June 12, 2021, 01:56:49 am »
This is a repeat of earlier entries, but I just got a major re-introduction.

Microsoft's complete disdain for the time and preferences of users/customers.

I just won the lottery for a W10 update.  Took more than four hours, when I really wanted to use the computer.  I don't know how a business could put up with this.  As icing on the cake when I finally get to use the machine it has totally rearranged my desktop icons, forced me to re-examine my preferences, and I am sure I will be reminded that I am not using the preferred browser or search engine.

I got rid of the Xbox because I could never turn it on without a half hour or more of updates and downloads.  Sorry Microsoft, I don't leave it on 24/7 and I don't have a fiber optic connection.  Can't you get something right enough that it doesn't require multiple updates per week or month?

I can't get rid of Windows because of some programs I need, but each year Microsoft is pushing me to forgo those excellent pieces of software and either do without or make do with the closest Linux equivalent.  They have already chased me out of MS Office.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #912 on: June 12, 2021, 02:07:45 pm »
This is a repeat of earlier entries, but I just got a major re-introduction.

Microsoft's complete disdain for the time and preferences of users/customers.

I just won the lottery for a W10 update.  Took more than four hours, when I really wanted to use the computer.  I don't know how a business could put up with this.  As icing on the cake when I finally get to use the machine it has totally rearranged my desktop icons, forced me to re-examine my preferences, and I am sure I will be reminded that I am not using the preferred browser or search engine.

I got rid of the Xbox because I could never turn it on without a half hour or more of updates and downloads.  Sorry Microsoft, I don't leave it on 24/7 and I don't have a fiber optic connection.  Can't you get something right enough that it doesn't require multiple updates per week or month?

I can't get rid of Windows because of some programs I need, but each year Microsoft is pushing me to forgo those excellent pieces of software and either do without or make do with the closest Linux equivalent.  They have already chased me out of MS Office.

This is why I still use Win 7 on some of my (too many) PCs  -  the apex of Microsoft achievement.  It just works... month in, month out - year in, year out.   I have spent zero time fixing things for the last 5 years or more.  What's not to like?

On the rare occasions that Win 10 is necessary, it goes in a virtual machine (where it is easy to disconnect it from the network, and easy to roll it back to a previous snapshot), or I use a Win 10 laptop.

The following users thanked this post: Vovk_Z

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #913 on: June 12, 2021, 06:22:52 pm »
When something is faulty and their diagnosis is "The fuse failed" very common in the UK as we have fused plugs.
No the fuse didn't fail, it did it's job. Then they decide to put a bigger fuse in and if that fails a bigger one or a roofing nail.

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja, james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #914 on: June 12, 2021, 08:14:54 pm »
When something is faulty and their diagnosis is "The fuse failed" very common in the UK as we have fused plugs.
No the fuse didn't fail, it did it's job. Then they decide to put a bigger fuse in and if that fails a bigger one or a roofing nail.

Whenever something fails dead most people assume "it's just the switch". Also I remember in the CRT era any time a TV failed completely it was always "the tube blew", but when the tube had actually failed and gone dim/blurry "it just needs adjusting".

• Super Contributor
« Reply #915 on: June 13, 2021, 02:03:58 am »
In Australia at least - news sources when reporting on a road incident, if an upmarket car is involved, they say "the Porsche did this" or "the BMW did that" or whatever. If someone is driving an old dirt box it doesn't get a mention.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #916 on: June 13, 2021, 02:39:19 am »

Whenever something fails dead most people assume "it's just the switch". Also I remember in the CRT era any time a TV failed completely it was always "the tube blew", but when the tube had actually failed and gone dim/blurry "it just needs adjusting".

Back when one of my duties at a TV Studio was repairing picture monitors, I also had to fix quite a few domestic TVs which the "suits" had in their offices.

Many came in with "broken on/off switches", &, indeed, the switches were broken.
On replacing them, the real fault presented itself------a faulty SMPS.

A common fault with many TV power supplies was that the "start" circuit had failed.
Just pressing the new switch didn't start the supply, but the "suits" had discovered that by pushing the switch multiple times in quick succession, you could often "jag" a start.

Of course, this wore out the switch in double quick time!

Fixing the start circuit (in Sanyos, the fault was a 220k resistor which chronically went high or O/C), restored normal operation.

On the same subject, not a peeve, but a funny story regarding such sets, was a 27" Philips in the office of "Norm" ( a really nice bloke).

His TV resided on a large wall shelf, sharing it with a very leafy indoor plant.
It was hired, as were all the other such plants, & a staff member of the hire company, regularly attended to prune it.

In their wisdom, Philips made the power cord a nice browny beige colour, similar to the plant stems.
Inevitably, someone had tidied the cord, so it was lost amongst the foliage.

Along came the hire company gardener, snipping away happily with his pruning shears.
Bang!----A blinding flash, & a very shaken gardener.
Yep he'd mistaken the power cord & snipped it -------just as well his shears had plastic handles, although I doubt insulation rating was at the fore of the manufacturer's thinking!

I said a "funny" story, but it could have been far from funny!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #917 on: June 13, 2021, 02:46:06 am »
In Australia at least - news sources when reporting on a road incident, if an upmarket car is involved, they say "the Porsche did this" or "the BMW did that" or whatever. If someone is driving an old dirt box it doesn't get a mention.

Alernatively, you get the figures for car theft.
Umpteen thousand Holdens, Fords, Toyotas & Hyundais, stolen, but a very much smaller number of BMWs, Porsches, etc.
Therefore, the latter must have much better anti-theft systems.

Of course, the very much smaller numbers of the latter types on the road couldn't possibly be a factor.

Online Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #918 on: June 15, 2021, 01:04:34 am »
One of my biggest pet peeves is the preponderance of 'buyer's premiums' with auctions.  They generally turn me away from auctions.  Even worse are the ones that don't advertise the stupid premium until you sign up to bid.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #919 on: June 15, 2021, 02:02:35 am »
Consultants that tell you how to do your job when they have zero relevant knowledge or experience.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #920 on: June 15, 2021, 02:05:03 am »
Consultants that tell you how to do your job when they have zero relevant knowledge or experience.
... and then create a certificate for it which your employer wants you to pay for and have

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #921 on: June 15, 2021, 02:07:44 am »
When you ask for a solution to something  dead simple that you are doing and you get replies that are seven orders of magnitude more complex than that problem you are trying to solve.
E.G.
"Learn the C language".
"Use a Raspberry Pi".
"Get an engineering degree".
"Put an LS engine in it".

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #922 on: June 15, 2021, 04:19:27 am »
"Use an FPGA"
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #923 on: June 15, 2021, 07:45:24 am »
"Use an FPGA"

... usually said by some who have never used one but heard about it last week.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #924 on: June 15, 2021, 09:39:42 am »
How about giving a friend/cow-orker a crash course in the intricacies some subject, and have your boss introduce them to you the next day, declaring them to be an expert on the subject that you should definitely learn from?

The pet peeve: People who value appearance over behaviour.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf