Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 453178 times)

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #1700 on: January 15, 2022, 01:37:29 am »
I detest it when (usually Americans) say:

# “Feel free to go ahead and <X>”

(er thanks, I know I’m *free* to do as I wish, and I’m not so stupid as to need some meaningless “permission” in this manner. Yes, I’m well aware of my freedom, how patronising.

or

# “I went ahead and <Y>”

or

# “I’m going to do this, right now”

My stupid Amazon Alexa, when asked “What’s the weather?”, will reply in a typically stupid American “English” way, saying “Right now, it’s raining” blah blah blah. When ELSE do the programmers think the user wants to know the weather for, unless they SPECIFY A TIMEFRAME? Duh.

Redundant, ridiculous addition of “Right now” and countless other idiotic “word fluff” is the doing of, and the way of many yanks (of course not all.)

Considering American “English” is based on the very premise of laziness, saving letters, mis-spelling and bad pronunciation of words, the concept of needlessly ADDING words to a sentence is all but idiotic.

That's very funny, that is!  (as a Black Country lass might say, adding those extra words on the end!)

The Black Country regional dialect is amazing!  The home of the Industrial Revolution, James Watt, Lunar Society, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest etc. etc. etc.,  this is Heavy Metal to the core!

Just listen to this...   and if you understand the joke he is telling, you're doing very well!

I understand Brummie very well, sadly. It’s one of those accents I just can’t take to. I’m good with understanding English spoken with a strong accent (I’m thoroughly English btw). Many of my friends used to look baffled when listening to reggae, wondering how on earth I could understand the patois; it’s not at all difficult. It’s not that the singer speaks too fast, it’s that the audience listens **too slowly** 😁

As regards Birmingham and the area, it’s about 40 mins away from me. I’ve visited a few times, can’t say I have much fondness for the accent nor the place (esp the old New St station - UGH!) - I won’t say I “hate” Birmingham, but could happily live my life without feeling the urge to go back. Hehe.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 01:39:56 am by eti »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1701 on: January 15, 2022, 02:33:09 am »

(er thanks, I know I’m *free* to do as I wish, and I’m not so stupid as to need some meaningless “permission” in this manner. Yes, I’m well aware of my freedom, how patronising.

or

# “I went ahead and <Y>”

or

My stupid Amazon Alexa, when asked “What’s the weather?”, will reply in a typically stupid American “English” way, saying “Right now, it’s raining” blah blah blah. When ELSE do the programmers think the user wants to know the weather for, unless they SPECIFY A TIMEFRAME? Duh.

Redundant, ridiculous addition of “Right now” and countless other idiotic “word fluff” is the doing of, and the way of many yanks (of course not all.)

Considering American “English” is based on the very premise of laziness, saving letters, mis-spelling and bad pronunciation of words, the concept of needlessly ADDING words to a sentence is all but idiotic.

That's very funny, that is!  (as a Black Country lass might say, adding those extra words on the end!)

The Black Country regional dialect is amazing!  The home of the Industrial Revolution, James Watt, Lunar Society, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest etc. etc. etc.,  this is Heavy Metal to the core!

Just listen to this...   and if you understand the joke he is telling, you're doing very well!

I understand Brummie very well, sadly. It’s one of those accents I just can’t take to. I’m good with understanding English spoken with a strong accent (I’m thoroughly English btw). Many of my friends used to look baffled when listening to reggae, wondering how on earth I could understand the patois; it’s not at all difficult. It’s not that the singer speaks too fast, it’s that the audience listens **too slowly** 😁

As regards Birmingham and the area, it’s about 40 mins away from me. I’ve visited a few times, can’t say I have much fondness for the accent nor the place (esp the old New St station - UGH!) - I won’t say I “hate” Birmingham, but could happily live my life without feeling the urge to go back. Hehe.

The Black Country accent isn't really the same as the Brummy one - but you have to be a bit of a local aficionado to know.

With lovely inhabitants like this, what possible reason could anyone have to avoid the area???

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1702 on: January 15, 2022, 01:23:04 pm »

or

# “I went ahead and <Y>”

or

Easy-Peasy!
It does help that it is a really old joke!

The most indecipherable "English" speech I have ever heard was back in 1971.
My mate & I were in Liverpool, tooling around in the mighty "Ford Pop", when we sighted some young ladies thumbing a lift.
Gallantly (& lustfully) pulling up, we invited the lasses into our mobile lair.

"Whereyagoing?" we asked in "broad Oz".

The answer sounded like Martian, but persevering, we managed to pick up the words "The Cave" & the "B----les".
It turned out they were saying :

"We are going to "The Cave"---you know, where the Beatles used to perform."

They gave us directions, mainly by pointing in the directions we had to go, we dropped them off, to incomprehensible thanks, they waved us goodbye, & we went on our way, astounded.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1703 on: January 15, 2022, 01:37:42 pm »

or

# “I went ahead and <Y>”

or

This is what, as an Australian, I found astonishing about England.
You live about 40minutes away from Birmingham & "you've visited" a few times!!

Hell, you pretty much live in Greater Birmingham!

Similarly, back when I lived in Southampton for a time on an extended visit, I could not find many locals who wanted to make a day visit to London.
The general tenor of their comments was that the mighty Capital was "pretty overrated!"

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1704 on: January 15, 2022, 04:13:17 pm »

Americans are generally much more willing to jump into a car and think nothing of driving a few hundred miles in a day -  in the UK, that would be considered a major journey!  :D     How does that work in Australia?

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1705 on: January 15, 2022, 04:18:44 pm »
Americans are generally much more willing to jump into a car and think nothing of driving a few hundred yards. Walking more than from the door to the car seems a major exercise, according to sources (possibly biased)!

And, to be fair, a few hundred miles from almost anywhere in the UK will see you paddling in a rather large pond.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1706 on: January 15, 2022, 04:56:29 pm »
unlike aussie towns theirs a bit more to most  british town than a pub and a brothel,so no need to travel a few 100 miles for pint of milk.
a few hundred miles from almost anywhere in the UK will see you paddling in a rather large pond.
depend on the source  the furthest point inland from the salty wet stuff is somewere between  70 and 90 miles so a few 100 miles is going to be either very wet,or no longer the uk

The following users thanked this post: eti

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1707 on: January 15, 2022, 08:17:32 pm »

Americans are generally much more willing to jump into a car and think nothing of driving a few hundred miles in a day -  in the UK, that would be considered a major journey!  :D     How does that work in Australia?

In the before time, at one stage, I was clocking up +700kms a week to the place of work. And then working full days. The experience hasn't affected me at all.

[takes a shot]
iratus parum formica

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1708 on: January 15, 2022, 08:27:48 pm »
Americans are generally much more willing to jump into a car and think nothing of driving a few hundred yards. Walking more than from the door to the car seems a major exercise, according to sources (possibly biased)!

And, to be fair, a few hundred miles from almost anywhere in the UK will see you paddling in a rather large pond.

;D

But outside of large cities, distances tend to be pretty large in the US, long roads with little traffic, so that's a very different driving experience too. In most of Europe, driving is not a "relaxing" experience. You need to be on your toes at all times.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #1709 on: January 16, 2022, 06:33:48 am »

In the before time, at one stage, I was clocking up +700kms a week to the place of work. And then working full days. The experience hasn't affected me at all.

I've done that too. And telecommute was completely out of the question. It lasted little over 2 years before I was so fed up. Now, I have about an hour each way on public transport, and I typically can get work done (responding to email, writing ugly shell scripts, etc) during most of that time. During this "extended telecommute experience for medical reasons" I've averaged one day at the office per week, and mostly driven to work, so that people who lack that option can have more room on buses and trains.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1710 on: January 16, 2022, 09:24:00 am »

Well, if you want to travel from Land's End to John 'O Groats, that is a fairly decent trip, even by Oz or Yank standards.
Not something that would be commonly done, though.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1711 on: January 16, 2022, 09:42:36 am »
Land's End to JohnO? Here, people walk that.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1712 on: January 16, 2022, 12:06:38 pm »

When we lived in Quairading, in the WA wheatbelt SWMBO, on a number of occasions, drove a round trip of 320km (200miles) to go to her favourite Bingo game in Perth.

When I was courting her, I regularly travelled to Collie & back, a round trip of 400km (250miles) as she did the other way round----I guess we were "pretty keen on each other!" ;D

When my daughter was working in Carnarvon WA, people would travel to Geraldton to shop as the selection of shops were better--a round trip of 952km (591 miles).

So, yeah, Aussies (especially West Aussies) aren't scared of a few hundred miles . ;D

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1713 on: January 16, 2022, 12:15:04 pm »
Land's End to JohnO? Here, people walk that.
Still a respectable trip, for a road distance of 874 miles (1,407 km)

Back around the end of the 19th Century, when the Victorian Goldfields were petering out, miners packed all their gear on wheelbarrows & pushed them all the way across Oz to Coolgardie in WA.
No roadside hostelries to "wet their whistles", either,----but that was before people got soft!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1714 on: January 16, 2022, 12:32:30 pm »
unlike aussie towns theirs a bit more to most  british town than a pub and a brothel,so no need to travel a few 100 miles for pint of milk.

Brothels are few and far between in small Oz country towns, (not enough ROI), but most have a pub, (often several) & a shop to buy milk, even if it is only the local petrol station (we call 'em "roadhouses" & they offer meals, as well as small shopping).

Big country towns often have many pubs, some, like Kalgoorlie, are famous for both pubs & brothels, but that is unusual.
Those that way inclined will probably be happy to drive a few hundred miles for a bonk, beer is a bit more urgent!
a few hundred miles from almost anywhere in the UK will see you paddling in a rather large pond.
depend on the source  the furthest point inland from the salty wet stuff is somewere between  70 and 90 miles so a few 100 miles is going to be either very wet,or no longer the uk
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 01:50:13 am by vk6zgo »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1715 on: January 16, 2022, 10:29:21 pm »
miners packed all their gear on wheelbarrows & pushed them all the way across Oz to Coolgardie in WA

That is impressive  :o

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1716 on: January 16, 2022, 11:17:02 pm »
I thought pushing miners over state lines was illegal.
iratus parum formica

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1717 on: January 17, 2022, 02:46:14 am »
I thought pushing miners over state lines was illegal.
Nah! they were the "pushers"! :D

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1718 on: January 18, 2022, 11:14:08 pm »

Feel free to go ahead and denounce our American language right now, you bloody Pom!  :-DD
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1719 on: January 26, 2022, 01:02:21 pm »
Technical pet peeve of the day:

Sites that want you to register (that's OK), and want to send you a confirmation email to verify you gave the right email address (that's OK, too), but then fail to actually send that frigging email in timely manner (< 1 minute) or at all, and somehow magically succeed on the second try 10 minutes later, and then immediately sends the previous "lost" message, too. Is sending email this difficult?

Or worse, they say your name is already taken and don't offer you "I did not get the verification email" link, but you can't log in either because the account is not verified, so there is no way around the one single lost email.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:04:44 pm by Siwastaja »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1720 on: January 26, 2022, 02:01:17 pm »
and somehow magically succeed on the second try 10 minutes later

That could be your mail host. They may implement 'grey mail' which is an anti-spam measure against previously unknown incoming mail servers. Those may or may not be dropping off spam but you don't know and don't really want to just shove anything in your spam folder by default. So the trick is to pretend the host is too busy to accept mail right now, and the sending system will then go away and try again later. This is as per the relevant RFC, and the possible back-offs and retries can lead to mail being in transit for a couple of days.

Anyway, some bright spark realised that spammers send so much junk they can't be arsed retrying, so if it doesn't get through on the first drop that's it. Any pukka mail will be retried after a short period, but spam won't be, and that short period is typically around 10 minutes...

So, your experience is exactly what would be expected of your host implementing grey mail.

(And, on this subject, spammers know that mail host implement black and white lists and they are probably on a 'just fsck right off' list, so they send spam instead to the secondary mail server - that is, your host's backup. That server is typically somewhere else and not configured with your personal ban lists, so the spam gets through even though you might be specifically blocking their sending server.)

Offline DeanA

• Regular Contributor
    • Design Electronics
« Reply #1721 on: January 28, 2022, 02:37:07 am »

The problems are:

* That stupid 12-hour system, it's like a scope that is set to trigger on both falling and rising edges of a sine wave so that the simple periodic signal is impossible to read. Why multiplex two completely different times of day into the same number? Who thought that?

You should try learning the Thai time system, which is kind of a 6-hour system. lol.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1722 on: January 28, 2022, 04:20:01 am »
GPU miners taking all the GPU's from gamers.

And for that matter, why don't they use all the workstation GPU's ? I haven't heard anyone complain of a lack of those GPU's, is there one ?

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1723 on: January 28, 2022, 11:20:32 am »
Why would a miner use a significantly more expensive professional GPU, when a cheaper gaming GPU performs just as well for them?
At least when you compare raw performance per dollar, gaming GPUs are a lot cheaper that workstation GPUs. You may get better drivers for professional Applications, and maybe even a couple of extra features, but those are not important for mining.

And yes, i dislike the shortage as well. I was lucky that i was able to buy a card directly from AMD last year, so for the forseeable future i am out of the market.

I suspect that we will see a stagnation, if not even a regression in graphics quality over the next few years. Not that i care, in my opinion we have reached a "good enough" in graphics quality some time ago. More is window dressing, except maybe for VR, since that needs high framerate and high resolution.
Even beginner GPUs are starting at 300 Euro. Add to that the increasing energy costs in Europe (Some suppliers in Germany take more than 60 Eurocents per kwh!), and that the modern performance increases are mostly bought by increased power consumption, and many gamers will not be able to invest into modern GPUs anymore. So new games need to reduce their requirements if they still want to target the PC market.

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1724 on: January 29, 2022, 01:49:39 am »
New pet peeve for me:
When people repeatedly sniff while narrating a YouTube video.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf