Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 451340 times)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #2275 on: October 01, 2022, 07:28:42 pm »
Yes. They really should.
(Attachment Link)

I'd rather have a nice clean '93 Camry than just about anything available in dealers today. I find modern cars to be almost universally hideously ugly. They all look like angry anime robots. Comically gigantic grills, many of which are mostly fake, and the emblems are enormous now too.

Indeed. And they also look like the Cx has been a completely forgotten notion as well. Now with max speeds getting reduced all the time, you could argue that it doesn't matter much anymore. Who cares about the Cx when you're driving at 30 km/h? :-DD (OH it's getting there!)

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #2276 on: October 02, 2022, 12:27:03 am »
Electronics YouTubers who pronounce "H", "Haych"

Argh!  |O

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2277 on: October 02, 2022, 01:43:33 am »
How should it be pronounced?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2278 on: October 02, 2022, 02:25:13 am »
How should it be pronounced?

The demographic which call horses "horse-is" would pronounce it as "aitch". ;D

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2279 on: October 02, 2022, 09:50:20 am »
Ah, thanks.

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2280 on: October 02, 2022, 10:01:47 am »
The demographic which call horses "horse-is" would pronounce it as "aitch". ;D

There are three levels of horses. Owsiz, horsiz and hoarsuz, in order of increasing poshness. The latter is best attempted if you make your face look like a horse when you say it.

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2281 on: October 05, 2022, 12:45:35 pm »
Logitech's m650 left handed mouse: The primary button is not the one for the index finger  |O and if I use Window's button switch, it will change it for all other mice.
I am available for freelance work.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2282 on: October 05, 2022, 01:39:48 pm »
Logitech's m650 left handed mouse: The primary button is not the one for the index finger  |O and if I use Window's button switch, it will change it for all other mice.
I don't know that specific mouse, but have you tried to remap the buttons with Logitech Options? On my M720 this gives me the option to swap left and right buttons.
Depending on whether the mouse has any internal memory, you might not even need to have Logitech Options running all the time after you reassigned the buttons.

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2283 on: October 05, 2022, 02:05:16 pm »
About 10-12 years ago in the company I worked back then the sysadmin decided to get us all new mice with more than 3 buttons. If I recall correctly they were one of the first MS Explorer optical mice.
Anyway, the extra buttons were exactly where I rest my thumb and my pinkie so I always clicked them just while moving the mouse around. Really annoying. I don't recall if I did not have the necessary privileges on Win2000 or maybe I was just too stupid to find a way to disable these extra buttons but for my sanity I had to find a way to make this 5 button mouse behave like a 3 button mouse.

Solution: I flooded the offending buttons with glue, let it set over night and was happy again  :-DD.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2284 on: October 05, 2022, 02:29:02 pm »
It's a good party trick to show people the 'secret' third mouse button. Depressing the scroll wheel makes a clicking sound.  8) Shhhh secret

Pet peeve: Programmer's with teenage texting brains who thought the following autoresponder message was an acceptable response to business customers:

Hiyar {firstname} Gotten ur order Will send it 2U Hugz

We had big words with their manager.

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2285 on: October 05, 2022, 02:52:22 pm »
I don't know that specific mouse, but have you tried to remap the buttons with Logitech Options? On my M720 this gives me the option to swap left and right buttons.
Depending on whether the mouse has any internal memory, you might not even need to have Logitech Options running all the time after you reassigned the buttons.
Logitech Options + doesn't allow remapping of the primary buttons, only switch them for this mouse. Razor can do it, why can't Logitech?
I am available for freelance work.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2286 on: October 05, 2022, 03:14:34 pm »
It's a good party trick to show people the 'secret' third mouse button. Depressing the scroll wheel makes a clicking sound.  8) Shhhh secret

Somebody once bought me a few beers after work for binding the thumb button that would bring up a full screen spreadsheet for when management barges in.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2287 on: October 05, 2022, 03:36:36 pm »

And brings up a useless function which makes it nearly as annoying as a touch screen! >:( >:(

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2288 on: October 05, 2022, 04:29:22 pm »
OMG don't get started on mice.

That scroll wheel button is a nightmare. On many (most?) programs if you click that while rolling the wheel it adjusts the zoom factor or font size or something. Some of those buttons have rather lightweight springs and so you end up suddenly having the entire window appearance radically change - and it can be tough to get it back to "normal" again.

Another one: Years ago Microsoft marketed a simple mouse with a completely asymmetric left-right profile. Yet right on the packaging it said "Ideally designed for both right and left handed users".  WTF?!?

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2289 on: October 05, 2022, 08:50:01 pm »
completely asymmetric left-right profile. Yet right on the packaging it said "Ideally designed for both right and left handed users".

If you place your hands spread flat on the table, do they look exactly the same? Well then :)

That scroll wheel button is a nightmare

You need the right mouse. The only ones I use now are the Logitech Master series (and the portable version of same), which have decent enough, but not overly strong, springs there. But the important aspect is that they can switch between clicky-clicky and free-wheeling modes automatically. If you're going through a long document (or web page or something) slowly it will do the clicky thing for accuracy, but give a flick and it goes free-wheeling quickly through pages and pages (ok, maybe paragraphs and paragraphs) until you stop it spinning. It's hard to adequately describe how brilliant and useful it is. Kind of like having a 'back' button on the mouse - I'd tear my hair out if I had to keep moving the pointer fro the scroll bar to the back button every 10 seconds.

I think Microsoft were good when the LED mice first came out, but I've not tried one I could cope with in the last few years.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2290 on: October 05, 2022, 09:21:06 pm »
It was curved horizontally. Think capital "C" backwards. How can that asymmetrical shape be optimal for both hands?

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2291 on: October 05, 2022, 10:18:25 pm »
Wasn't trying to say it could be, just pointing out that your hands are asymmetrical, as is the mouse. Just the wrong asymmetrical  >:D

[thinks] Maybe they meant you have to turn it back to front when you change hand.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2292 on: October 06, 2022, 09:45:49 am »
But the important aspect is that they can switch between clicky-clicky and free-wheeling modes automatically. If you're going through a long document (or web page or something) slowly it will do the clicky thing for accuracy, but give a flick and it goes free-wheeling quickly through pages and pages (ok, maybe paragraphs and paragraphs) until you stop it spinning. It's hard to adequately describe how brilliant and useful it is.
Besides the fact that the MX Master just does not fit my hand, i also dislike this automatic.
I am using an M720 Marathon at work that has a similar wheel, but instead of an automatic, there is a mechanical switchover button to select between the free running and the indented mousewheel.
I love that feature, but sadly Logitech has patented, or otherwise protected it, and other mouse manufacturers cannot use similar features. Considering the waning quality or outrageous prices of Logitech mice, i would love to see other manufacturers implement something similar.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2293 on: October 06, 2022, 10:01:10 am »
Besides the fact that the MX Master just does not fit my hand, i also dislike this automatic.

Yeah, the form factor is an acquired taste I guess. The recent 3 has the side buttons, and side scroll, much handier than previous models, but overall it's the same.

The auto thing can be turned off, of course, and then you use the button to manually switch mode. I really hate that, partly because the button is hard to get to (in the way you have to curl your finger) and partly because it's a conscious decision to switch modes and then scroll, rather than just happening. Hard to explain, but with manuals I always leave them in clicky mode and then mentally grumble all the time about excessive finger wear when scrolling :)

Considering the waning quality or outrageous prices of Logitech mice, i would love to see other manufacturers implement something similar.

Yes, agreed. I reckon they've had their money's worth of it by now and other implementations should be allowed.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2294 on: October 06, 2022, 03:24:10 pm »
Considering the waning quality or outrageous prices of Logitech mice, i would love to see other manufacturers implement something similar.
Waning? They're quality has always sucked. I've used a lot of Logitech mice, because I like the feel. However, I've always expected to replace them frequently. They can actually make a mouse where the low friction pads on the bottom don't fall off after a year. You probably wouldn't know that unless you'd tried their really expensive mice, like the MX Masters. The vast majority of their mice loose those pads. Its probably best to peel them off on day one, and restick them with decent glue. When they loosen naturally you've usually lost some of them before you realise.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2295 on: October 06, 2022, 05:16:29 pm »
I actually had decent experiences with Logitech mice in the past. But they let me down quite a bit in the last couple of years, both at home and in the office.

I privately owned an G5 refresh, that i replaced because it was utterly filthy after 5 or 6 years. That was on me alone.
Then i got a g500s, that started having doubleckick issues. I fixed that by replacing the button. Two years later i also replaced that one.
So two mice in more than ten years? Not a bad turnover in my opinion.

Then i tried a G502. And oh my... Whatever designer came up with those stupid sensitivity buttons left of the left mouse button  :palm: I disabled them, but they still annoyed me like crazy. I can't use that mouse.
I am now using a Roccat Kone Aimo, that has it's own issues. I love the formfactor, as it is very similar to the G5 series. But it does not have the freewheeling mousewheel, and it has RGB "running lights" that can only be turned off if you have the configuration software running...
Other than that i like it, it seems to hold up, but is only two years old.

At work, for the longest time, i used an M705. I loved that mouse, since it had a third side button that can be pressed with your thumb, which I remapped to middle mouse. And it had the freewheeling mousewheel. It ran on just a singe double A for a year or more. So what is not to like? Three of them broke before even the first battery was empty  :-BROKE
And then i got another replacement. Still called the M705. But that third side button i mentioned? Gone  :wtf: That mouse now sits in the spares bin.

I am now using a M720 that uses bluetooth. My current work laptop just has a single USB A port, so no space for the dongle. It also has that third button, but the bluetooth sometimes cuts out, and the battery runtime is significantly worse. I now have that for about half a year, i will have to see how it keeps up. All in all i still like the mouse, and since i can only get Logitech mice at work, i am stuck with that model. Or i could get the MX Master, but that gives me cramps.  :-//

So no great experiences with Logitech in recent years.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2296 on: October 06, 2022, 05:29:54 pm »
Or i could get the MX Master, but that gives me cramps

Have you looked at the MX Anywhere 2? All the fun of the Masters but in a reduce format - I have one for portable use, and my partner uses one on her desktop. Unifying receiver or Bluetooth, hyper-scrolling (or button to select), etc.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2297 on: October 07, 2022, 02:06:59 am »
Has that one got the rubbery bits on the sides?

I find they get dirty easy, sticky and sometimes gradually peel off.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2298 on: October 07, 2022, 10:46:22 am »
Plastic that isn't hard :)

Being black, or a reasonable facsimile, they won't show up stuff and I can't recall every having a Logitech part suffer rubber plague and go sticky. I think the sides on these are structural, so unlikely to peel.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2299 on: October 08, 2022, 07:43:04 pm »
I actually had decent experiences with Logitech mice in the past. But they let me down quite a bit in the last couple of years, both at home and in the office.
[...]

I still have an MX-310 here,  with several million miles on it...   it must be 20 years old, if not more?...   still showing no signs of giving up,  laser accurate and nice to use.

They probably don't build'em like that any more, they'd be out of business!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf