Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 437565 times)

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #2625 on: November 27, 2022, 12:41:01 am »
One thing I've found indispensable on a laptop is a Fn keystroke to disable the trackpad. Otherwise on many machines it picks up the heel of your hand and suddenly the cursor is "somewhere else".
I beg your pardon. Language, please!  ;D
What? It's the name of the effin key.  Oh.  Oooh.
I thought it was pun-worthy.
Me too.  You succeeded.  I failded, as usual.

Online CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2626 on: November 27, 2022, 01:08:29 am »
Those stupid checkout machines at supermarkets.
Had the misfortune to deal with one just now. There is no indication whatsoever which is the correct side to place your bag of shopping before you start checking out. 50-50 chance you put on the wrong side, and then the machine tells you to call an attendant. Why is that they don’t have a sign saying put your stuff “here”? Unbelievable… 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 01:31:26 am by Circlotron »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2627 on: November 27, 2022, 02:38:46 am »
Had the misfortune to deal with one just now. There is no indication whatsoever which is the correct side to place your bag of shopping before you start checking out. 50-50 chance you put on the wrong side, and then the machine tells you to call an attendant. Why is that they don’t have a sign saying put your stuff “here”? Unbelievable…

Here you always place your bag on the side facing the interior of the store or the entry to the checkout area and the bagging area is always toward the exit doors. The rack of empty bags is usually a good clue too.

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2628 on: November 27, 2022, 06:14:01 am »
I think Solidworks picks an axis or edge in your design and rotates about that line or edge. Sometimes it decides to highlight it in a pink/magenta color, other times it seems to be hidden.

Other ways I've found it to be picky:
  • Beyond a certain complexity, the mates in an assembly can spontaneously become overconstrained. Without touching anything, I can close the design and reopen it, and all the mates solve just fine
  • The super annoying resource monitor will nag when system RAM usage goes above about 60%. My CAD box has 32 GB of RAM and a T400, but both Solidworks and Altium end up fighting over the apparently meager resources.
  • Support forums direct one to using SpeedPaks for complex components within a larger assembly. In my limited experience, it seems like all that Speedpaks do is complain that they're out of date, and the assembly is just as slow to manipulate.
Having said this, Solidworks is miles ahead of FreeCAD in terms of frustration. I've been using FreeCAD at home for a while, and even with very simple parts, it tends to crash a lot. Plus there's the well-known topological naming bug. I'm really hoping that they fix that one soon.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2629 on: November 27, 2022, 07:13:42 am »
Another SolidWorks problem: Earlier versions refuse to even view files created by later versions even when no new features have been used.

This stupidity is extended to eDrawings, which not only includes this "feature" but Dassault doesn't keep eDrawings current! I just downloaded the latest version, which they promote as the 2022 version, but it's exactly the same (at the binary level, including the dates in its About page) as the 2019 version. And it will not open files created by SW versions past 2019 unless they are stored as back-revs. Derp!

Offline Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2630 on: November 27, 2022, 09:00:16 am »
Another SolidWorks problem: Earlier versions refuse to even view files created by later versions even when no new features have been used.

This stupidity is extended to eDrawings, which not only includes this "feature" but Dassault doesn't keep eDrawings current! I just downloaded the latest version, which they promote as the 2022 version, but it's exactly the same (at the binary level, including the dates in its About page) as the 2019 version. And it will not open files created by SW versions past 2019 unless they are stored as back-revs. Derp!

I know, annoying is it? In some regard a design on an old version is more valuable.
goto considered awesome!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2631 on: November 27, 2022, 06:33:34 pm »
I am so glad that the self-checkouts here in Switzerland don’t perform any kind of post-scan shenanigans. No weighing your shopping bag, no photointerruptor conveyor belt tunnel, nothing. Those things drove me absolutely bananas in the USA. I think more stores have come to realize that the frustration those things cause (which in turn cause people to insist on a real checkout lane) exceeds the cost of the small amounts of theft that happen without them.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2632 on: November 30, 2022, 02:40:50 pm »
Here IKEA Canada self checkout treats you as a criminal by default. It gives several warnings in rather harsh language about responsibility for theft as you do your items. It is absolutely dusgusting and I whenever possible go to a human cashier lane instead.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #2633 on: November 30, 2022, 03:42:56 pm »
I am so glad that the self-checkouts here in Switzerland don’t perform any kind of post-scan shenanigans. No weighing your shopping bag, no photointerruptor conveyor belt tunnel, nothing. Those things drove me absolutely bananas in the USA. I think more stores have come to realize that the frustration those things cause (which in turn cause people to insist on a real checkout lane) exceeds the cost of the small amounts of theft that happen without them.

It's a mix in the UK.  I've noticed the ones at 'posher' supermarkets, like Waitrose, do not use a weigh scale for the self checkout, whereas the bigger more value-oriented supermarkets are hawks for anti-theft, usually having CCTV directly in front of you!  Oddly enough one city centre self checkout in an area you would think would be a theft magnet has the no weigh scale system too, perhaps it's just a trial. And paying an attendant to look after these isn't free so there will be an intersection point at which trusting people is a better arrangement than policing it, even if the frustration isn't a big concern for the business.

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2634 on: November 30, 2022, 03:49:31 pm »
Except for when I have just a few items to checkout, I refuse to use them!  Something always seems to go wrong which requires a member of staff to sort out.  Problem is now, my local store has and is reducing the number of manned checkouts ongoing, so the queues are getting bigger, which is obviously their intention to induce us to use self check out.  If they remove manned checkouts completely I will just go somewhere else.
Thankfully, Aldi and Lidl show no sign of introducing self check outs.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 04:54:11 pm by unknownparticle »
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #2635 on: November 30, 2022, 04:04:01 pm »
Except for when I have just a few items to checkout, I refuse to use them!  Something always seems to go wrong which requires a member of staff to sort out.  Problem is now, my local store has and is reducing the number of manned checkouts ongoing, so the queues are getting bigger, which is obviously their intention to induce us to use self check out.  If they remove manned checkouts completely I will just go somewhere else.
Thankfully, Aldi and Liddle show no sign of introducing self check outs.

Lidl here  (Northamptonshire) has self checkouts, so much better than waiting for the otherwise understaffed main checkouts to pay for a few things.  For a big shop though you can't beat them.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2636 on: November 30, 2022, 04:43:19 pm »
Problem is now, my local store has and is reducing the number of manned checkouts ongoing,
Not a sainsburys by any change? Our local  now only has 4 real tills left,some suite got my thoughts,both barrels,  when he  tried to convince me to use the self service,of course he's not bothered that the many checkout staff will  be replaced by 1 or 2 security guards

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2637 on: November 30, 2022, 04:58:44 pm »
Thankfully, Aldi and Liddle show no sign of introducing self check outs.

Lidl here  (Northamptonshire) has self checkouts, so much better than waiting for the otherwise understaffed main checkouts to pay for a few things.  For a big shop though you can't beat them.

Hmmm, could be on the way here then!!  Probably something to do with store size.  Another problem with self checkouts is for elderly people. I've noticed that very few of the elderly use the damn things, I wonder why?  Looks when you become elderly you are considered obsolete by commerce.

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2638 on: November 30, 2022, 05:00:09 pm »
Problem is now, my local store has and is reducing the number of manned checkouts ongoing,
Not a sainsburys by any change? Our local  now only has 4 real tills left,some suite got my thoughts,both barrels,  when he  tried to convince me to use the self service,of course he's not bothered that the many checkout staff will  be replaced by 1 or 2 security guards

Tesco in my case.  Actually our local Sainsbury hasn't introduced self checkouts yet.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2639 on: November 30, 2022, 05:13:19 pm »
Our Tesco has both: usual self-checkout with weighing scales, and scan-as-you-shop which doesn't do anything except take your money at the end. I prefer that one since you can pack stuff as you go around and then skip all the queues for tills and self-checkouts. Only fly in the ointment is a random check which can be a pain if you've got a tight and very nicely packed bag.

Used to be separate areas for self-checkout and scan-as-you-shop, but now you can use the latter with the former if you like.

Local Waitrose has scan-as-you-shop too, and although I am not a patron except when riding shotgun for the missus, I can't recall ever seeing a random check (or even non-random one) there.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2640 on: November 30, 2022, 05:41:15 pm »
Here IKEA Canada self checkout treats you as a criminal by default. It gives several warnings in rather harsh language about responsibility for theft as you do your items. It is absolutely dusgusting and I whenever possible go to a human cashier lane instead.

Blame the people that steal and head the warnings. A surprising number of people WILL steal something if the opportunity presents itself. I read a survey somewhere that said something like 80% of respondants if they found somebody's wallet would keep the cash it held. I was kind of shocked and disappointed. Giving warnings isn't "treating you like a criminal", that's hyperbole. Slapping handcuffs on you and searching your body would be treating you like a criminal.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2641 on: November 30, 2022, 05:43:47 pm »
Hmmm, could be on the way here then!!  Probably something to do with store size.  Another problem with self checkouts is for elderly people. I've noticed that very few of the elderly use the damn things, I wonder why?  Looks when you become elderly you are considered obsolete by commerce.

It's because people get more and more set in their ways as they age and it becomes harder and harder to learn new skills. Elderly people spent most of their lives in a time before self checkout so the process is unfamiliar to them and they stick to what they know. It has nothing to do with being considered obsolete, it's just personal habits.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2642 on: November 30, 2022, 06:22:30 pm »
Most of our local supermarkets in York still have quite a few manned checkouts, but hardly anyone uses them in most of the stores. For some reason they are moderately busy in the small local stores, but in the big ones they are mostly wasted space. I find it strange they aren't removing them more quickly, as the self-checkouts and barcode wand linked checkouts can get congested at times.

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2643 on: November 30, 2022, 06:38:00 pm »

It's because people get more and more set in their ways as they age and it becomes harder and harder to learn new skills. Elderly people spent most of their lives in a time before self checkout so the process is unfamiliar to them and they stick to what they know. It has nothing to do with being considered obsolete, it's just personal habits.

I think you misunderstand what I meant, or I didn't explain very well!  Which was, commerce and society generally doesn't give enough consideration to elderly people. They are often left to struggle with tech they don't or can't understand, with no alternative option.
Trust me, I know this from personal experience with my now very elderly mother, if it wasn't for me she would have had real problems in todays world.  One example, we have a local tax in the UK, called council tax, which is universally despised but that is another discussion.
So my Mum paid in monthly installments, which most people do because it's a very high tax. Then she started to have memory problems and forgot a payment. The local council didn't take any time to find out a possible reason for this, if they had they would have noticed her age and thought that she might be having problems. No, they took her straight to court, no warning letter although they claim they did send 2, they lied, and she was fined quite heavily!!!  She was very distressed by that and I visited her to find her in tears. She had phoned the council to find out why she had been treated like that and she was treated harshly a told if she didn't pay the fine the bailiffs would visit and take possessions to recover the fine plus costs!!  Bunch or evil, vicious b4stards!!!  I went straight over to their office and really laid into them for treating an elderly, vulnerable person in such an inconsiderate and vile manner. I caused such a commotion that everyone there, other members of the public and council staff were alarmed and security was called.  I insisted that a councilor was bought down so that I could may it clear what I thought of their nasty little gang. She did appear and hustled me into a private room for a discussion!  So I explained what had happened and asked where their strategy was for dealing with vulnerable residents of the area, the result of which was, they didn't have one!!  So I strongly suggested they should urgently sort that out and instead of dropping the court hammer without checking possible reasons for missed payments, they should maybe compile a list of those above a certain age and use different, more considerate tactics to determine what may have gone wrong, with those people.  She eventually apologised after trying to BS her way out of it, and agreed to look at the situation.
Whether they have or not I don't know but I now manage my mums finances to ensure she isn't subjected to such vile treatment in future.
UK councils are renowned for this behavior, they use the courts as an unchallenged device to fine people without warning, you don't even get the opportunity to defend yourself. They break all regulations to avoid having to follow the correct and legal procedure, and are allowed to get away with it.  Elderly people are just collateral damage to them. Absolutely insidious.

The following users thanked this post: Bud

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2644 on: November 30, 2022, 07:42:47 pm »
I experienced that personally with my Dad. He was a teacher, extremely intelligent, could hold his own on almost any topic, but almost zero involvement in anything technical. Along I come and I get into technology at a VERY early age. My parents were very supportive even though they didn't understand what I was doing most of the time.

Once I grew up, moved away, got married, and started my career my parents started running a regional library + bookstore as volunteers. My Mom handled the library stuff and my Dad focused on the bookstore. By this time PC's were pretty commonplace and I offered to get my Dad a PC, set it up, and teach him how to use a spreadsheet to keep track of inventory, sales, etc. I was going to hand him a totally turnkey solution - all he had to do was use the spreadsheet, and I could provide ongoing support.

He wasn't interested. He was just going to keep doing everything on paper. I asked why, and he replied "I've lived this long without learning how to use a computer. I figure I can make it the rest of the way."

The point is that he COULD have easily used a computer. He simply wasn't interested. I think he viewed it as something for the "next generation". No bitterness, no anger, no sadness, simply "I don't need to".

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2645 on: November 30, 2022, 10:20:24 pm »
I experienced that personally with my Dad. He was a teacher, extremely intelligent, could hold his own on almost any topic, but almost zero involvement in anything technical. Along I come and I get into technology at a VERY early age. My parents were very supportive even though they didn't understand what I was doing most of the time.

Once I grew up, moved away, got married, and started my career my parents started running a regional library + bookstore as volunteers. My Mom handled the library stuff and my Dad focused on the bookstore. By this time PC's were pretty commonplace and I offered to get my Dad a PC, set it up, and teach him how to use a spreadsheet to keep track of inventory, sales, etc. I was going to hand him a totally turnkey solution - all he had to do was use the spreadsheet, and I could provide ongoing support.

He wasn't interested. He was just going to keep doing everything on paper. I asked why, and he replied "I've lived this long without learning how to use a computer. I figure I can make it the rest of the way."

The point is that he COULD have easily used a computer. He simply wasn't interested. I think he viewed it as something for the "next generation". No bitterness, no anger, no sadness, simply "I don't need to".

I saw the same thing with my grandmother, she was very smart but she just didn't "get" computers.

I think it's just a natural part of the way the brain develops and part of the same continual process we all experience. Learning a second language for example is very easy for young children, but it gets harder and harder the older we get. Someone who immigrates into foreign country when they are a kid will usually end up speaking the new language fluent with no perceptible accent. The older a person is when they immigrate, the less fluent they speak and the thicker their accent generally. Unfortunately I'm old enough myself now to notice this gradual shift, I don't pick up new skills as easily as I once did.

Online CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2646 on: December 01, 2022, 12:37:43 am »
When a google search gives you a result but the relevant site has one of those multi page pages, perhaps hundreds of pages, and you have to click through every single one to find what you are looking for. 

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2647 on: December 01, 2022, 02:03:52 am »
Rear fog lights.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2648 on: December 01, 2022, 04:13:39 am »
Rear fog lights.

What's wrong those? My car has them, they're useful for increasing visibility in fog or heavy rain which is not a rare occurrence here. I actually find it strange that American cars don't have them, at least none that I'm aware of.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2649 on: December 01, 2022, 07:42:57 am »
Rear fog lights.

What's wrong those? My car has them, they're useful for increasing visibility in fog or heavy rain which is not a rare occurrence here. I actually find it strange that American cars don't have them, at least none that I'm aware of.
The problem is that people unused to them don't realise they are on, so in non-fog conditions, following traffic is confronted by this very bright red light.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf