Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 450251 times)

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #3200 on: February 05, 2023, 06:31:08 pm »
I use a DC clamp probe, it's much easier to use in most cases anyway and it there is zero risk of damaging the meter with it, unless you drop it on the meter.
It works as long as you don't need to measure microamps and milliamps.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3201 on: February 05, 2023, 06:44:05 pm »
It works as long as you don't need to measure microamps and milliamps.

He specifically said that 10 Amps is not enough, that kind of implies that microamps and milliamps is not the use case here.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #3202 on: February 05, 2023, 07:15:21 pm »
aluminum wire that looks like its not.

You mean CCA?
copper-clad aluminum yes  try'd soldering cable lug on some.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3203 on: February 05, 2023, 08:04:11 pm »

Unless the twisted pair cable I have is pure copper, which I doubt, I use this stuff to make my proto pcb's. Solders just fine. I strip it and stretch it a bit and then use it to make the tracks on the boards.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3204 on: February 05, 2023, 10:20:58 pm »

Unless the twisted pair cable I have is pure copper, which I doubt, I use this stuff to make my proto pcb's. Solders just fine. I strip it and stretch it a bit and then use it to make the tracks on the boards.

CAT5 cable is by definition pure copper, however I got screwed once when I accidentally bought some "CAT5E" that was CCA. The stuff was junk, I ended up throwing it out, I should have known there was a reason it was so much cheaper.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3205 on: February 06, 2023, 04:56:06 pm »
Sometimes seemingly dumb choices have sound reasoning behind them. The longer my career, the slower I am to immediately question odd choices made by others more familiar with their industry.
Quoted for truth.

Unfortunately, anyone who has experience with their industry is then dismissed by the whiny outsiders as “biased”, a “shill”, or “sheeple”…

You can’t win.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3206 on: February 06, 2023, 05:19:02 pm »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3207 on: February 06, 2023, 06:55:42 pm »
You can’t win.

Yep, but for sure I don't want to join them  |O

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3208 on: February 07, 2023, 06:54:45 am »
Google Maps when you try and drag a suggested route to a new road. So often the whole thing turns into a bowl of spaghetti, looping back on itself with no apparent way of sorting it out.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3209 on: February 07, 2023, 07:22:16 am »
Makes me think of some commercial that was aired on Dutch TV. It was about a driver trusting on its GPS to much, and turned left directly when told and steered into a hedge or swimming pool, can't recall which. Could not find it so here is something along the same lines.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3210 on: February 07, 2023, 07:35:29 am »
I've been driving with GPS navigation for many years now and never had any incidents. It's great for somebody like me that has a poor sense of direction. The key is not to just blindly follow whatever it tells you, you still have to have your brain on and decide whether the instruction makes sense. It's just a guide, it's not self driving.

The following users thanked this post: bigfoot22

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3211 on: February 07, 2023, 11:50:39 am »
Google Maps when you try and drag a suggested route to a new road. So often the whole thing turns into a bowl of spaghetti, looping back on itself with no apparent way of sorting it out.
Hit the arrows to reverse the route,then hit em again,spaghetti removed.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3212 on: February 07, 2023, 01:04:08 pm »
Audiophiles

No just that.  Audiophiles in general.  This time, in particular is people trying to use a couple of raspberry PIs running on super capacitors to avoid master clock jitter, by creating a synchronous buffered, asynchronous FIFO.

The surprising thing is how many people are throwing money at this sh1t.  As far as I can determine the ONLY thing this setup achieves is creating really, really long buffers of megabytes in size and potentially hours in duration synchronising two streams they just make asynchronous.  It's baffling.  It has a net ZERO effect.

Then you have people claiming they can HEAR a difference.   Even when you point out it takes light longer to get from your speakers to your eyes than the maximum 180* phase shift on a masterclock!

I have to stop reading these audiophool forums or I'm going to end up insulting someone.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: Zeyneb, tooki

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3213 on: February 07, 2023, 01:18:57 pm »
Childrens' toy slime.

Whomever invented and started selling that stuff needs punished.

The stuff is like glue, if it touches anything "fabric" like it instantly engrains itself around the very threads of the fabric and sets like... glue.  It's NEVER coming out.  Sparkles, glitters stars and all!

My daughter set a blob of it on her "numbers" play mat.  I had told her to keep it on that.  Within 3 minutes however, the blob had flattened and spread and found the crack in the foam between the number tiles and made it's way through there, out the bottom and created an irremovable blob of slime in my carpet. 
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #3214 on: February 07, 2023, 04:17:31 pm »
Audiophiles

No just that.  Audiophiles in general.  This time, in particular is people trying to use a couple of raspberry PIs running on super capacitors to avoid master clock jitter, by creating a synchronous buffered, asynchronous FIFO.

The surprising thing is how many people are throwing money at this sh1t.  As far as I can determine the ONLY thing this setup achieves is creating really, really long buffers of megabytes in size and potentially hours in duration synchronising two streams they just make asynchronous.  It's baffling.  It has a net ZERO effect.

Then you have people claiming they can HEAR a difference.   Even when you point out it takes light longer to get from your speakers to your eyes than the maximum 180* phase shift on a masterclock!

I have to stop reading these audiophool forums or I'm going to end up insulting someone.

the irony is by the time your at the age when one can afford quality audio reproduction equipment your hearing is in decline.
assuming you haven't tinnitus damaged it more so as a teen.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, tooki

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3215 on: February 07, 2023, 05:10:19 pm »
the irony is by the time your at the age when one can afford quality audio reproduction equipment your hearing is in decline.
assuming you haven't tinnitus damaged it more so as a teen.

What?  Sorry speak up?

Where's my Metallic album on cassette and my Sony Walkman

The following users thanked this post: bigfoot22

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3216 on: February 09, 2023, 12:00:50 am »
Audiophiles and audiophools are not the same.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3217 on: February 09, 2023, 01:28:47 am »
But the latter often think they're the former.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3218 on: February 09, 2023, 01:45:27 am »
If only audiophools would simply say that they enjoy using this or that equipment or technique. That in itself is perfectly valid. It's when they try to justify their enjoyment by trying to convince everyone that there is a real difference is where it all falls apart.

If someone makes the statement "I just love fiddling with and listening to valve amplifiers" that can be a true statement. No problem at all. If on the other hand they say "valve amplifiers are the best for hi-fi sound reproduction" then they are presenting something subjective as if it were immutable fact.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3219 on: February 09, 2023, 01:50:03 am »
Your last phrase is not limited to audiophools! That behavior occurs in virtually every niche imaginable.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3220 on: February 09, 2023, 02:37:39 am »
There's some audiophool equipment that I think has artistic value. I'm not going to claim that it sounds better, but I'm sure a lot of it sounds very good, once you cross a certain threshold of quality that is not hard to achieve with modern technology, you can pretty easily get very good sound. The value of art is subjective, there are sculptures that are worth millions of dollars that you don't even *do* anything at all. I'd sooner spend $100k on a really unique looking turntable that I can use to play records than on a sculpture that just sits there.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3221 on: February 09, 2023, 02:54:20 am »
Source and Loudspeakers are the first things to work on.
No no no,totally wrong,the first thing to improve is the mains cable powering your amp,something like https://www.thecableco.com/sukhavati-power-cable.html will be ok for entry level amps

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #3222 on: February 09, 2023, 05:41:08 am »
when the force will not die

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3223 on: February 09, 2023, 06:42:11 am »
when the force will not die

But according to Newton's 3rd it always has an exact opposite, just ask electrodacus  :-DD

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3224 on: February 09, 2023, 07:33:21 am »
The latest Star Wars movie is really bad. I'm sorry for your loss.

Fortunatley for a Star Trek fan I don't have that problem (as much). Care to jump ship?

I like both. The most recent Star Trek series I tried to watch (Picard) was so awful I shut it off after 3 episodes and never looked back.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf