Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 452725 times)

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #3425 on: March 09, 2023, 08:28:43 am »
These young Dilbert “creators” all seem to blindly copy one another’s style, with barely any tangible original ideas. Did I NEED to see that shot of your ball falling, THREE TIMES? It’s always the SAME PATTERN.

I used to be impressed by the effort some went to for effect shots.

Then I installed a demo version of  a few modern video editors and effect packs.

The reason they all seem to copy each other is because they are all using the same demo effect pack from the same video editor.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3426 on: March 09, 2023, 06:28:28 pm »
I used to be impressed by the effort some went to for effect shots.

Then I installed a demo version of  a few modern video editors and effect packs.

The reason they all seem to copy each other is because they are all using the same demo effect pack from the same video editor.

You used to see this same thing all the time back in the 90s, the Amiga based Video Toaster was widely used, practically universal in low budget production and stuff like music videos. Since the effects themselves were all part of a library that was not customizable you'd start to recognize the Video Toaster effects all over.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 07:56:17 pm by james_s »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3427 on: March 09, 2023, 07:30:35 pm »
Star wipe! 🤣

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #3428 on: March 10, 2023, 12:45:45 am »
Don’t forget the obligatory “What’s up gaazzzzzzz? It’s ya boy <insert_wannabe_gangsta_sounding_silly_username> blah blah blah blah”

Minutes and minutes of waffle preamble before getting to the VERY THINLY SPREAD minute portion of the video, which is probably parroted, copy/pasted topic.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3429 on: March 20, 2023, 06:35:56 pm »
   Google likes variety, when a person might want to go back and view some video, again.
   Seems like various searches will repeat a results list fairly consistently, but if I've viewed something it, often, will not be easily brought back up, for another view...(a repetitive activity often called 'study', when I've not absorbed the new stuff adequately.)

All I wished to do today (but noooo), is re-watch a nature and animal skills video...NOT something similar.
Seems like Google missed the ball on that one.
   Hard to deal with a monopoly...especially with flaws (theirs).  Suppose might be a settings, somewhere.

(Sigh!).  Trudging out my, handy (NOT), 'Android for Dummies'...maybe there's a smarter way (to search / study).

Online Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3430 on: March 20, 2023, 10:01:57 pm »
All I wished to do today (but noooo), is re-watch a nature and animal skills video...NOT something similar.

That's what your browser's history function is for.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3431 on: March 21, 2023, 12:15:44 pm »
.. a little early to fail (under 2 years I think) - but 220 degrees C on bake my convection fan let out a 1 second growl and stopped  :palm:

It's one of those jobs with consequences - or just use without fan dilemma

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3432 on: March 21, 2023, 02:59:55 pm »
This incredibly tedious modern trend that video editors (usually “YouTubers”) have of showing us a “triple replay” of some mundane aspect of the video from different angles (and we get to hear the audio 3x too, talk about grating) - it’s ALWAYS, ALWAYS done in threes.
I feel your pain. Even the over 30 bloggers now feel the need to FX the hell out of their productions.
My peeve is the use of crop zoom. That's when every other word being said requires the frame to crop by 25% to create a sudden zoomy emphasis effect.

Don’t forget the obligatory “What’s up gaazzzzzzz? It’s ya boy <insert_wannabe_gangsta_sounding_silly_username> blah blah blah blah”
This is when I click out. A rule for these drongo influencers; the bigger the microphone the smaller the content.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3433 on: March 21, 2023, 05:38:26 pm »
Speaking of effects: How about the recent practice of having out-of-focus sidebars? Literally throwing away 66% of the usable frame space. Who in the world thinks that's a net positive? It looks ugly, it conveys zero additional content, it's just stupid on every level.

The ONLY "reason" I can think of is as a replacement for black rectangles when a portrait-oriented video is displayed in landscape format. But that just calls attention to the fact that the person was stupid enough to take video in portrait format in the first place. Seriously, unless you have original footage of the Kennedy assassination or something of similar historical value, just have the integrity to discard your past mistakes and commit to using proper landscape orientation in the future.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Kim Christensen, AndyBeez

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #3434 on: March 21, 2023, 05:42:32 pm »
The annoying out-of-focus sidebars have been around for a while, but maybe they are becoming less frequent, replaced by neutral colors.
The neutral colors are less annoying than black, but the out-of-focus repeat of the context is pernicious!
People who insist on holding their phones vertical (resulting in portrait orientation) when taking video are the reason for this, but even with a real camera the aspect ratio of a landscape shot probably disagrees with the aspect ratio on current television formats.

The following users thanked this post: Kim Christensen

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3435 on: March 21, 2023, 05:46:47 pm »
even with a real camera the aspect ratio of a landscape shot probably disagrees with the aspect ratio on current television formats.
Sheesh, I have that problem with live feeds TODAY. My local news stations don't match my (rather recent Samsung) TV so their sides disappear. They also didn't fit the Samsung TV this one replaced, and it too was a different aspect ratio. Meanwhile older TV programs shot in 4:3 have big black bars. And how many different aspect ratios has Hollywood used over the years, sometimes within the same year? I can't remember the last time something "just fit" on my screen.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3436 on: March 21, 2023, 05:55:37 pm »
Meanwhile older TV programs shot in 4:3 have big black bars

Unavoidable if you have widescreen TV. The only solution is to either crop the top and bottom or stretch the sides, ignoring the aspect ratio. I'd rather have the black bars and see it in proper aspect ration (and, in fact, I do) rather than have it stretched so circles are oval and everyone looks fat.

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3437 on: March 21, 2023, 06:44:14 pm »
For fuzzy side bars read, the TikTokization of social media.

What I really want to know is, if people hold their phones in portrait format, why are device manufacturers unable to make a camera that record in landscape format? Would it kill them to make a square CCD that does all formats from 16:9 through 1:1 to 19:6? I don't want TEN lenses on the back of my book sized smart phone, just logic that knows you always hold your camera this way <------->

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3438 on: March 21, 2023, 06:49:52 pm »
Sheesh, I have that problem with live feeds TODAY. My local news stations don't match my (rather recent Samsung) TV so their sides disappear. They also didn't fit the Samsung TV this one replaced, and it too was a different aspect ratio. Meanwhile older TV programs shot in 4:3 have big black bars. And how many different aspect ratios has Hollywood used over the years, sometimes within the same year? I can't remember the last time something "just fit" on my screen.

Black bars are the correct way to display content that is of a different aspect ratio than the display. One of my pet peeves is when 4:3 content is cropped or stretched to fit a 16:9 display or the other way around. Movies that have been reformatted to 4:3 are missing significant portions of the content. I don't know why a modern news station would have a live feed in an odd aspect ratio but I absolutely hate it when 4:3 content *doesn't* have black bars because it means the image is distorted. I never understood why the bars bother some people, it's the only way to display the content without distorting or cutting part of it off.

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3439 on: March 21, 2023, 06:59:00 pm »
This is when I click out. A rule for these drongo influencers; the bigger the microphone the smaller the content.

Sadly the yoof of today doesn't know how to use their kit. Have you watched them trying to use a phone they seem to use it in any other way than it was designed to be used.

Oh and don't get me started on the ones who have to try and outdo Dave and AvE on stupid ways to open a box. Daft idiots trying to use a hammer to open a box.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3440 on: March 21, 2023, 07:05:13 pm »
Car and bike themed video's with music either replacing the sound of the engines or almost covering it!!!   Grrrrrrrr!!  Especially when it's some utterly cr4p heavy metal guitar!!! >:(  Why would petrol heads want to listen to some sh1t music instead of a howling V12 or thundering V twin??!!
DC coupling is the devils work!!

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3441 on: March 21, 2023, 07:15:18 pm »
When a whisp of blue smoke wanders almost romantically across the circuit board from the last voltage regulator to be cooked and you don't even react, almost expecting it.

I apologise to 3.3V regulators.  Especially those that took the hit and saved the circuit.

Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3442 on: March 21, 2023, 07:28:29 pm »
Yes, I understand that black bars preserve the aspect ratio. It's just maddening that there are so many different aspect ratios out there. Nothing ever fits properly.

And that's when the portrait vs. landscape IS matched. When someone takes a vertical video... grrrrrrrrrr.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3443 on: March 21, 2023, 07:38:58 pm »
I'm part of the problem currently.

I have 21:9.  When you upload 16:9 content and you specify it as 16:9 content, I get black bars left and right.

If however someone uploads 29:1 content but it default to 16:9, I get a 16:9 image with black bars top and bottom, inside a 21:9 image with black bars left and right.

Even when I uploaded 21:9 content to YouTube it was that way if I made a tiniest mistake... with all settings tending to default to the HD 16:9 standard res, it's easy to miss one.

I'm switching between wanting to replace 2x21:9 with 1x55" 4K TV.  That or 2x4k 28" monitors.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3444 on: March 21, 2023, 07:42:05 pm »
Yes, I understand that black bars preserve the aspect ratio. It's just maddening that there are so many different aspect ratios out there. Nothing ever fits properly.

And that's when the portrait vs. landscape IS matched. When someone takes a vertical video... grrrrrrrrrr.

Well, FullHD and 4K are both pretty much standard.
But anything else, sure everything goes.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3445 on: March 21, 2023, 07:54:55 pm »

If you watch services like Netflix, and note the material which was made specifically by or for them, most of it is no longer 16:9. There is usually some black space at the top and bottom. Does Netflix management use those ultra wide screens the gamers love?

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3446 on: March 21, 2023, 07:57:26 pm »
Don't go down this rabbit hole or you'll find that pixels do not necessarily match the aspect of the screen.

Worse.  Pixels in the camera do not necessarily relate linearly to the pixels on the screen.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3447 on: March 21, 2023, 08:14:50 pm »
A rule for these drongo influencers; the bigger the microphone the smaller the content.
So true!  ;D
The bigger and the more expensive.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3448 on: March 21, 2023, 10:28:17 pm »
If however someone uploads 29:1 content
Like when looking under the bottom of a door with a spy camera. 🙂

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3449 on: March 21, 2023, 11:09:14 pm »
Car and bike themed video's with music either replacing the sound of the engines or almost covering it!!!   Grrrrrrrr!!  Especially when it's some utterly cr4p heavy metal guitar!!! >:(  Why would petrol heads want to listen to some sh1t music instead of a howling V12 or thundering V twin??!!

It's even worse with aircraft. Unless your video is directly related to music, just say no to music in your video. If I wanted to listen to music while watching videos I'd put on my own music.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf