General > General Technical Chat

Youtube blocking / deleting comments with the word 'Ferrite'.

(1/5) > >>

BrianHG:
I recently tried to leave a comment, but it kept on getting erased after around 30 seconds.  I was wondering why.

After teething out the possibilities, it came down to having the word Ferrite or Ferite.

It was a comment on a recommendation for using Ferrite Core Memory for a digital vacuum tube project.

What in the world could Youtube be interpreting 'Ferrite' as to instantly auto delete comment?
Does a dictionary of don't say on Youtube words exist?  (I mean other than swearing...)
How am I supposed to know what I said wrong if my comments get erased?

dunkemhigh:

--- Quote ---How am I supposed to know what I said wrong if my comments get erased?
--- End quote ---

Kind of tricky, that one. On the one side, knowing what's triggered the filter will allow you to rephrase stuff but, on the other side, knowing what triggered the filter will allow you rephrase stuff work around it.

TimFox:
The Urban Dictionary website has a definition for “ferriter” that is horribly obscene, but nothing to do with memory devices.  Other similar slang definitions there for “ferrit”, but none for “ferrite”.

langwadt:

--- Quote from: TimFox on May 23, 2022, 10:02:50 pm ---The Urban Dictionary website has a definition for “ferriter” that is horribly obscene, but nothing to do with memory devices.  Other similar slang definitions there for “ferrit”, but none for “ferrite”.

--- End quote ---

Some Irish people are going to be sad, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferriter

BrokenYugo:
I can top that. Had a filter in a Call of Duty game (where it is common to get called every slur under the sun on voice chat, fitting or not) naming a loadout of all things, something only I can see anyway, that rejected "general purpose". Paring it down it turned out it didn't like "ralp". I probably put half an hour of research into that one and came up empty.

I have to assume these naughty words lists are not man made.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version