Author Topic: YouTube runs experiment addressing users with ad blocker  (Read 32527 times)

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
Re: YouTube runs experiment addressing users with ad blocker
« Reply #250 on: October 22, 2023, 01:17:55 pm »
I agree about the free ones being shady. I would never use them or recommend them.
But I thought that was obvious. Apparently not...

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #251 on: October 22, 2023, 03:20:33 pm »
I agree about the free ones being shady. I would never use them or recommend them.
But I thought that was obvious. Apparently not...
If used as a UDP over Tor gateway, I don't see that as a problem. They never get your actual IP and there's also no payment details that would considerably simplify tracing down. You obviously don't want to give them any personal data (e.g. by logging into one of your accounts through the tunnel) but that's true of any anonymizing service.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #252 on: October 22, 2023, 08:07:34 pm »
And yet you are happy to pronounce on other companies that you also don't know anything about.

I'm simply pointing out that (many) shady examples exist and that I think it is foolish to trust any such company by default, which is what you seem to be suggesting by saying 'name the bad ones'. You should be suspicious by default of some random company on the Internet that sells VPN services. At least your local ISP will be a known quantity; they are subject to the same data protection rights you have with any other company you do business with in your country (or possibly more, in some places where common-carrier communications have special protections), they're probably subject to some scrutiny about such matters, you have a legal agreement with them that presumably comes with some legal rights, and you likely have some practical legal recourse if they violate it.

You seem to be missing the point here. When you use one of these services, you are choosing to shovel all kinds of personal data to them willingly. If you care about privacy, you should probably think about what that company might do or want to do with access to that data. You may conclude the answer is 'less than my ISP' or 'less than my government', and that's great, just don't think that shipping your data securely to someone else is automatically going to improve your privacy or security posture, all it does is change who you are trusting with it.

Perhaps you could share the names of the companies you do know about?

The highest profile scandal is probably around Kape Technologies (owners of ExpressVPN, PIA and others, including VPN 'review' sites). See plenty of reporting on them, but basically this company has connections to the UAE intelligence apparatus, previously was heavily invested in developing browser-based private data collection software and spyware, and the owner himself has a pretty shady past. For example https://gizmodo.com/you-should-probably-stop-using-expressvpn-1847739547

SuperVPN (and related companies) has a pretty serious compromise. NordVPN leaked some key back in the day that would've allowed an adversary to spin up a server impersonating them.

Folks need to decide for themselves whether they trust or don't trust these companies, based on their own situation and needs.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2023, 08:29:14 pm »
You can't trust any company anyway. Certainly never use a VPN that you don't fully control if you need to fully *trust* it.
After that the question is whether you prefer a random company somewhere in the world to potentially leak your data rather than your ISP directly doing it. It's all a matter of use case and context, there is no single general answer to what people should or should not do.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #254 on: October 23, 2023, 09:11:53 am »
Interestingly I have had no ads, pop-ups or other inconviniences when using Youtube for the last days (week?).

I did not change anything in my browser or habits, all I did was to click the [X] on the pop-up windows. This showed for 2-3 days and then was gone.

I am not sure if this was just a test, if they tried to convert the easily impressable or if they got some pressure for spying without consent on installed plugins, which is illegal in the EU.

Curious to see what is going to happen next.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #255 on: October 23, 2023, 09:14:41 am »
Indeed, I noticed it has stopped.

I read somewhere that the adblock detection was fooled by being in incognito mode, so an easy enough way to defeat it would be to require Google do not store that kind of information (because you did not consent to it.)   Whether that can be distinguished from normal account data (e.g. being logged in) I don't know.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #256 on: October 23, 2023, 10:45:44 am »
If incognito mode trends then Google could easily require a login to enable access, thus tracking and all that via the username rather than cookies/fingerprint/etc. Musk has just shown that requiring login to access a service doesn't have a big downside.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #257 on: October 23, 2023, 11:11:57 am »
I haven't seen any difference in the last few weeks as compared to the previous many years. I watch YouTube videos regularly and usually a couple or three nights a week I watch for hours at a stretch. No ads ever. I really wouldn't be hugely against paying, say $5 a month, but then I'm pretty sure they'd end up knowing way, way more about me than they do now.

The following users thanked this post: Karel, hovadmartin

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #258 on: October 23, 2023, 11:18:32 am »
I really wouldn't be hugely against paying, say $5 a month, but then I'm pretty sure they'd end up knowing way, way more about me than they do now.

This.

Offline hovadmartin

« Reply #259 on: October 23, 2023, 11:38:21 am »
I'm pretty sure they'd end up knowing way, way more about gemini pet peeves than they do now.

What did you mean by that? That they would collect your personal data (which they do anyway) if you pay a monthly fee?  :bullshit:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 01:20:18 pm by hovadmartin »

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2023, 11:55:07 am »
I'm pretty sure they'd end up knowing way, way more about me than they do now.

What did you mean by that? That they would collect your personal data (which they do anyway) if you pay a monthly fee?

Well, for one, they'd have a credit/bank card linked to your account.  Which would give them legal name, postal address, and a way to tie your identity up with other purchases and services via companies Google has ownership of.

The following users thanked this post: Ranayna

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2023, 03:37:34 pm »
The Windows Phone returns from grave as an anti-ad-blocker blocker on YouTube

https://www.techspot.com/news/100583-windows-phone-returns-grave-anti-ad-blocker-blocker.html

The following users thanked this post: MT, BrokenYugo

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #262 on: October 26, 2023, 02:08:18 pm »
I tried installing "user agent switcher" extension into Edge and it worked for me selecting Windows phone. I finally hit a brick wall where it was a choice of allow ads or buy premium. I may eventually buy premium but not just yet. It works on a per Tab basis so it is not disruptive for other tabs.

I have an Android media box with an app (not from the playstore) that allows me to watch on the couch without ads.
For now this agent switch works so I'll let it play out.
And I can download videos if I know I want to watch the whole thing.

I found Windows Phone on WIN10 and Edge will play the video but I get nothing else. No comments, description, subscribed channels nothing. Just the video. So I may tire of the switching back and forth.

I did try switching the user agent to an older firefox string that immediately got a message screen saying that browser version was out of date  and that did give me a more normal looking youtube screen. remember I'm still on Edge browser it is just sending a string telling YT I'm using Firefox, or Windows Phone.

My actual Windows Phone is pretty useless these days for watching YT. And it dies in 7 months when the 3G network dies. Ironically it does show Youtube ads.

I'm still hoping to wean myself off a lot of the YT channels I watch too much of, so some self flagellation is in order.

So there is something to try until you get sick of it and buy a subscription.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 02:10:11 pm by wilfred »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, brammus

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #263 on: October 26, 2023, 04:23:40 pm »
I found out that if you hover with mouse over "videos containers" and let them start playing in the box for 30 sec or so and then select the video to watch in larger screen format
 there is no anti ad blocking popping up............so far it works for the last week. Im using Vivaldi browser for this experiment.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #264 on: October 26, 2023, 05:07:13 pm »
Privacy advocate challenges YouTube's ad blocking detection scripts under EU law

Last week, privacy advocate Alexander Hanff filed a complaint with the Irish Data Protection Commission (DPC)
decrying YouTube's deployment of JavaScript code to detect the use of ad blocking extensions by website visitors.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/10/26/privacy_advocate_challenges_youtube/

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #265 on: October 27, 2023, 09:19:22 am »
So the uBlock scripts have now stopped working here and I'm seeing ads again.

Which have revealed yet another reason why YT is evil, adverts for dodgy as hell investment schemes (scams) featuring deepfakes of people like Musk (As if a deepfake ad could trash his reputation further) yet there's no way to report these obvious scams and fakes.

Sick of it, everyone wants to take my money for 'premium' services and yet still monetise my personal info, browsing data etc. and there's no escape from the bullshit.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline madiresTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #266 on: October 27, 2023, 10:20:36 am »
Yep, ad-blockers help to protect you from malicious ads. It's not just about scam ads on YouTube. You'll see them also on websites of well known newspapers, for example. Therefore even the German BSI (federal office for information security) recommends to use an ad-blocker: https://www.bsi.bund.de/EN/Themen/Verbraucherinnen-und-Verbraucher/Informationen-und-Empfehlungen/Cyber-Sicherheitsempfehlungen/Updates-Browser-Open-Source-Software/Der-Browser/Adblocker-Tracking/adblocker-tracking_node.html. It's self-defence!

The following users thanked this post: MK14, SiliconWizard

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #267 on: October 28, 2023, 06:57:31 am »
That's what Google used to be, 15 years ago :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline wofritz

• Contributor
« Reply #268 on: October 28, 2023, 07:29:26 am »
Is the "experiment" still running? I do not get the pop up anymore with ublock active (and no ads). Only thing that may be different now is that some videos stop playing after some seconds and need another click on the play button to resume.

Offline Shonky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #269 on: October 28, 2023, 07:40:06 am »
I am still seeing the "permanent block". Initially disabling uBlock Origin got it going again but it's back to being blocked with that disabled and just a pihole running DNS.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #270 on: October 28, 2023, 02:26:50 pm »
Today I opened Youtube on my second PC, which has not been used for a few weeks.

Got the Youtube warning in a more agressive form: it said I could only watch 3 videos and there was a timer to close the window. Clicking refresh got rid of it and the video played.

On my main computer, I am not getting any warnings anymore.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #271 on: October 28, 2023, 02:37:07 pm »
I wonder how difficult it would be to just generate lots (hundreds to thousands per minute) of fake ad views using a script. Would be fun to run that on a CGNAT address, then they can't just filter by IP address without losing legitimate views.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Shonky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #272 on: October 28, 2023, 07:27:07 pm »
I wonder how difficult it would be to just generate lots (hundreds to thousands per minute) of fake ad views using a script. Would be fun to run that on a CGNAT address, then they can't just filter by IP address without losing legitimate views.

Sounds like a fun way to get your IMEI banned.
What? IMEI has nothing to do with anything.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #273 on: October 28, 2023, 07:59:09 pm »
youtube wants me to get hard in 8 seconds according to the advertisement  ::)

Offline Shonky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #274 on: October 28, 2023, 10:32:38 pm »

Sounds like a fun way to get your IMEI banned.
What? IMEI has nothing to do with anything.

• You're rapidly connecting-disconnecting to carrier's network to obtain different IPs - it might get detected as suspicious activity.
  • You're rapidly opening a lot of connections to a remote server - it might get detected as DoS attempt or malware-infected device.
  • Google might find out and send abuse notice for your ISP to investigate.

Years ago I made that mistake when testing failover code in an IoT embedded system. Luckily this was before SIM cards had to be registered with identity document. Only casualty was $30 Huawei modem which got permabanned from the network. Swapping SIMs didn't help so the most reasonable explaination is it got its IMEI blocked.
None of what you're saying was being suggested.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf