Author Topic: Youtube/Google is evil, time to fight back  (Read 23734 times)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Youtube/Google is evil, time to fight back
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2022, 05:43:58 pm »
They dont get fact checked except by themselves.

Thats the whole point of their agenda.

They were set up to do that, they didnt become authoritative.

It became too formulaic and they were set up for a purpose.. to take over what "was" (no room for questioning here) "the "facts".. kind of like how slavery was set up, and how the wto was set up to become the "rules of the global economy" take it or leave it or get out.

for source verification.. by fsct checker sites

Who fact checks the fact checkers?

Seriously. At the last election there were 'fact checking' websites run by one side or the other to a) confirm whatever that party wanted to push, and b) diss the other side's claims.
As I hear, people who do fact checking have burnout problems faster than the average JS programmer.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 05:45:37 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2022, 05:51:29 pm »
for source verification.. by fsct checker sites

Who fact checks the fact checkers?

Seriously. At the last election there were 'fact checking' websites run by one side or the other to a) confirm whatever that party wanted to push, and b) diss the other side's claims.

Fact checkers are invariably just journalists, who lack the technical competence in the subject they're supposed to be verifying. Even experts aren't 100% certain of the facts, which has often been the case over the pandemic. Official bodies often get it wrong, or only accept facts which support their policies/agenda. I'm very skeptical when only one narrative is accepted to be true, by the mainstream media.

A dedicated effort to buy up newspapers in the 1980s and 1990s made jobs for journalists very very scarce, in the US. This was quite intentional and coincided with an attempt to take over the world of trade, with the WTO Services Agreement, which was bound to result in the demise of a great many jobs.. .  which they claimed would be offset by higher profits.. But for whom?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 05:57:54 pm by cdev »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2022, 05:55:03 pm »
I receiver the right not use the internet or not to own or use a cell phone.
I receiver the right to do what you do not know. to say what you do not know. and to be were you do not see.
 :-X

But if you write that down and try to share it some people now will call you a terrorist, why?

What changed?? 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 06:19:55 pm by cdev »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2022, 06:06:01 pm »
Otherwise, people could just vote whatever they wanted to happen.

Very unlikely, unfortunately. Or perhaps luckily, given what some people want!

The problem is you can't vote for a single thing. Well, you can, but doing so drags along several pages full of other manifesto commitments, many of which you might prefer to vote against in preference to the thing you want to vote for.

There is also the small problem of not being able to vote for something that isn't on offer. If, for instance, neither of the main parties in the UK say they will ban excessive profits from motorway service stations then no-one will be able to vote for that regardless of who they align behind.

They dont want to ever ban "excessive profits" for anything.. On "principle". Because to them, no profits are ever excessive, since people enter into contract of their free voilition. Thyey can enter into the deal, or do without, whatever, forever.

Do without food, or without water, under some circumstances slavery is still legal. If you steal anything.

Can you see why? Read up on Churchill's Bengal famine. On Principle, no profits are ever "excessive". They simply are profits. Large ones.  Sometimes people sell themselves into slavery, to eat. Sound userious? Sure, but... What does this tell you about the future they are planning for us all? I realized when I was pretty young how extreme a future some of our people felt was their entitlement.  Why do people fail to understand why some people are buying up all the farmland and housing they can?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 06:21:25 pm by cdev »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2022, 08:35:48 pm »
Quote from: rsjsouza
IMHO the only reliable authoritative source is indeed research done by oneself

Which means what? How do you research stuff yourself? All you can do, unless you are omnipresent, is read/watch/listen someone elses research. We're going round in circles here, not actually zeroing in on anything.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2022, 09:17:52 pm »
Quote from: rsjsouza
IMHO the only reliable authoritative source is indeed research done by oneself

Which means what? How do you research stuff yourself? All you can do, unless you are omnipresent, is read/watch/listen someone elses research.
Unless you are a field journalist that is eyewitness of a specific event, research means you look for information from various sources in an attempt to have a balanced view from many sides. This is obviously only reasonable if you have enough interest vested in a specific subject, as this requires a lot of time and effort. Most people do only cursory reading of headlines and/or use a single source with the newfangled fad of "fact checkers", blue marks, etc.

We're going round in circles here, not actually zeroing in on anything.
My post expanded yours with the fact that you can't trust the ethics of corporate journalism more than the independent guy anymore. At any rate, you can't possibly think that anyone here at EEV will have a magical solution for a century-old problem nor point you to a single source of absolutely unbiased source, do you? :) The only point that one can "zero in" is this: get your information from different sources and read past the headlines - now with the internet it is easier than before, but it expanded exponentially.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2022, 11:11:09 pm »
At any rate, you can't possibly think that anyone here at EEV will have a magical solution for a century-old problem nor point you to a single source of absolutely unbiased source, do you?

Of course not, but that seems to be the solution being proposed here. Hence my comments.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2022, 04:07:30 am »
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2022, 07:55:03 am »
I typically read the online text versions of the local TV news stations, I used to read some of the local newspapers online years ago but I think they all went behind paywalls at which point I stopped. The same problem of belonging to large groups with agendas is true to both though.

It's worse than that though, News Limited owned newspapers have been caught out distorting news stories for financial reasons.
See how accurate the story is, depends on how much you spend on advertising with them!
small ad=accurate story, no add=distorted information, large ad=full page news story that is basically a poorly disguised ad.

A non profit running an event just wanted to have it listed on the paper's events page, nothing fancy just a brief mention.
Newspaper agreed to promote it for free, and send out reporter who took down the details, they double checked the notes she took were accurate.
When published all the details were wrong, times, entry cost, actual event details etc, it was just pointless changes that helped no one.

Newspapers have a limited amount of space, so actual useful information has been replaced with mass appeal crap in the hope of selling more papers, doesn't work anymore.
Anyway these are the same problems we have with google/youtube, they want zero risk content that will attract advertisers and hence get higher prices for ads.
it's going to fail, for the same reasons newspapers and TV are failing, people abandoned TV and moved to youtube as they got sick of dumbed down content and tons of ads, getting to choose what sort of content you watch/get recommended is vital to keeping people watching.

Naomi Wu is having problems because Youtube have decided for whatever reason her presence is a financial risk to them, be it offending advertising agencies, the Chinese government, or just moron housewives who freakout when their husband is so interested in this woman with big tits (when he's just watching the 3D printer review).

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2022, 09:29:58 am »
(video)
As Dave pointed out on the comments section of this video, there is very little to be done other than providing feedback on this portion of the search results page. I personally don't see a problem with the "algorithm" as she mentioned: it is returning an unfiltered result based on what people actually search*. What one does with that information is what matters.

In a society that is more accepting of the trans community, such piece of information, despite distorted, could be the spark of a broader conversation about the word or even be used as PR currency in a partnership.

On the other hand, if this information alone is enough to steer a potential partner from getting involved, wouldn't it be killing a partnership that shouldn't have happened in the first place anyways? Of course the first impression is the one that tends to last, but I don't believe that everyone serious in wanting to make money will overlook the body of work and achievements.

*Sure, this is a "chicken and egg" situation: the more proeminent a search result is, the more people will click on it, making it even more popular. Both the good and the bad comes with the popularity.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2022, 10:02:37 am »
Newspapers have a limited amount of space, so actual useful information has been replaced with mass appeal crap in the hope of selling more papers, doesn't work anymore.

That's true (the space bit, at least) for paper-based ones, but online there is not really any limit. The Daily Mail, for instance, not only has bazillions of articles on its front page but each is probably several days worth of concatenated (and sometimes barely related) wibble.

I tend to do the same as james_s suggests and sample from diverse sites but, often, stories are exclusive to a particular site (at least for a day or so) so there is no alternative view to compare. Sometimes a major story you'd expect to be plastered everywhere is barely mentioned, if at all, on a more, ah, 'acceptable' site.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2022, 11:10:51 am »
(video)
As Dave pointed out on the comments section of this video, there is very little to be done other than providing feedback on this portion of the search results page. I personally don't see a problem with the "algorithm" as she mentioned: it is returning an unfiltered result based on what people actually search*. What one does with that information is what matters.

Exactly! The algorithm does what it is designed for. You could blame the people responsible for that algorithm to be insensible or indifferent. But the real problem is the humankind. We're so dumb and ignorant that it really hurts.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2022, 11:54:21 am »
(video)

In a society that is more accepting of the trans community, such piece of information, despite distorted, could be the spark of a broader conversation about the word or even be used as PR currency in a partnership.

It's now gone. I did report it a few hours ago, so maybe that did the trick?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 11:58:06 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: madires

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2022, 05:09:04 pm »
Its significant that later in life, opportunities to be nice to trans people or more accepting (of everybody) are seen by some as missed opportunities that will never come one's way again. Sadly.

The world has lots of room for improvement. Its interesting how an investigation of the roots and roles of slavery has brought me in the last few weeks  to more understanding of the history of the world. Particularly the Middile East.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 05:12:13 pm by cdev »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2022, 05:27:57 pm »
Perhaps someone should write a browser extension that blacklists (filters out) mainstream media junk, flat earth junk channels, etc. from Youtube search results with the user being able to select what to blacklist.

Back in the day, it was all about the science. Back in the day. I was around the founding of many of these entities.. and really still dont understand how we got to where we are today as well as I would like. I know it has much to do with the creation of highly mobile capital. Money going everywhere.. This is what spawned Rodrik's Trilemma..

What happened during the various transitions?  I think much is to be learned from trying to understand the roots of them. For example, this was one of them.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/comparative-studies-in-society-and-history/article/reforming-everywhere-and-all-at-once-transitioning-to-free-labor-across-the-british-empire-18371838/E2BBDC44298E2C11B71A1737DB36B4A6
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 05:37:24 pm by cdev »

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2022, 08:54:22 pm »
Exactly! The algorithm does what it is designed for. You could blame the people responsible for that algorithm to be insensible or indifferent. But the real problem is the humankind. We're so dumb and ignorant that it really hurts.
The people responsible for the algorithm have no way of knowing a priori what people will search for and what suggestions will be provided and how they will offend somebody. For that reason, Google has been busy removing politically incorrect search results and suggestions more or less manually for over a decade.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2022, 09:00:40 pm »
The world has lots of room for improvement. Its interesting how an investigation of the roots and roles of slavery has brought me in the last few weeks  to more understanding of the history of the world. Particularly the Middile East.
The really sad thing about slavery is its still widespread today, yet few people give a damn about those still being oppressed in this way.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2022, 09:03:59 pm »
The really sad thing about slavery is its still widespread today, yet few people give a damn about those still being oppressed in this way.

Well, it's like pollution. We displace it kinda far away so that it's not directly visible, and we feel good.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2022, 09:25:40 pm »
For me that has devolved to trying to get my wife to stop buying a certain brand of seafood.

Well, it's like pollution. We displace it kinda far away so that it's not directly visible, and we feel good.

That is a very good way to put this. Because thats what awareness of the most common abuses often devolves into. Watching Mondo Africa the other day and its massacres of Omani Arabs in Zimbabwe, which I had been warned about by VS Naipaul's fiction book, A Bend in the River"  still it made me think and want to know more..

Getting sick while poor?

Slavery by race is now illegal Slavery in the United States  is legal if somebody is duly convicted of a crime. Make America Great Again, means make America Profitable Again, to some people. Paying people to work back them was fairly progressive. It seems that some people feel thats all thats necessary now. Well, slavery is still common. And the existence of decent jobs is all thats standing against it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 09:38:48 pm by cdev »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2022, 09:35:04 pm »

Getting sick while poor?

Slavery by race is now illegal Slavery in the United States  is legal if somebody is duly convicted of a crime. Make America Great Again, means make America Profitable Again, to some people. Paying people to work back them was fairly progressive.
What are you talking about? Are other forms of slavery legal in the US?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2022, 09:44:12 pm »
If you have been duly convicted of a crime, yes. And its quite common. (prison labor)  Slavery has two histories, the ones were familiar with the Atlantic slave trade and the west African slave trade largely ended in the last century, buy there are several other nexuses of slavery you would be surporised to learn about in the Indian Ocean, cenetring around Zanzibar.. And also the so called Barbary Coast.. Anyway, i'm right now digging into Oman and the Middile East.. which is interesting.

Getting sick while poor?

Slavery by race is now illegal Slavery in the United States  is legal if somebody is duly convicted of a crime. Make America Great Again, means make America Profitable Again, to some people. Paying people to work back them was fairly progressive. To some peoploe it still is. Its not the default, its a presnt to them.

Lets not talk about it any more.. It makes me sad.. Nobody is entitled to anything. We still have a lot of work to do to bring ourselves up to where we ought to be.

There is a pervasive sense of entitlement radiated by the wealthy, who seem to feel entitled to huge windfalls right around now. Which bugs me.. They are arguably right the way things are going now. The concept of a "living wage" is alien to some people because they are claiming entitlement to windfalls due to vast increases in migration under free trade. Making wages fall a lot. Wages are determined by supply and demand.
Ive known about this since I was a kid.. And that knowledge transformed me..
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 09:55:10 pm by cdev »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2022, 09:49:53 pm »

Getting sick while poor?

Slavery by race is now illegal Slavery in the United States  is legal if somebody is duly convicted of a crime. Make America Great Again, means make America Profitable Again, to some people. Paying people to work back them was fairly progressive.
I think he's referring to the US prison industrial complex, that uses prisoners in close to slavery conditions to produce a huge range of consumer products. Most countries only allow prisoners to produce things for the state, like military uniforms. There is a reason why certain groups really like private prisons, and having the world's large percentage of people incarcerated in the US.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2022, 09:58:16 pm »
Yup.. I am weird in a certain way, I just notice certain things a lot more.. Certain kinds of behaviors.. I am just praying that I'm wrong.

Lets leave it there for now. Pray.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2022, 11:07:31 pm »
(video)

It's now gone. I did report it a few hours ago, so maybe that did the trick?

It was actioned internally at Google. It seems Fran has viewers with influence.
Would be nice to know how easy it is for things like Naomi's issue to get fixed at Youtube. Sometimes you hear of things getting fixed, other times you hear about huge names not being able to get things fixed, people you would think would have direct influence.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 11:10:00 pm by EEVblog »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2022, 11:08:51 pm »
I think he's referring to the US prison industrial complex, that uses prisoners in close to slavery conditions to produce a huge range of consumer products. Most countries only allow prisoners to produce things for the state, like military uniforms. There is a reason why certain groups really like private prisons, and having the world's large percentage of people incarcerated in the US.

I think having prisoners perform useful work is a good idea, it isn't slavery, it's punishment for committing crimes. Personally I think any proceeds should go toward reimbursing crime victims rather than profit for private prisons though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf