Author Topic: YT, Firefox, Adblockers and huge lag  (Read 4119 times)

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
Re: YT, Firefox, Adblockers and huge lag
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2024, 11:47:45 am »
LOL

I know I repeat this every month, but when I become next Stalin I will send all web developers to run on hamster wheels forever and generate renewable electricity.
Please donate to my Patreon.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2024, 12:40:58 pm »
LOL

I know I repeat this every month, but when I become next Stalin I will send all web developers to run on hamster wheels forever and generate renewable electricity.

Such treadmills need to be larger than hamster wheels. These would be more suitable

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2024, 01:46:59 pm »
We will do A/B tests on different designs and see if it's more efficient to run outside or inside the wheel.

See you later, comrades, I'm writing the Web 1.0 Manifesto now...

Offline SiliconWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2024, 03:58:05 am »
LOL

;D
Well, the hamster wheel concept is already kinda what they do. Just that your option may be better for the environment.
Ultimately, they just do whatever they're being told to, in a loop. They're not the only profession doing that - probaby 90% of all working people, at least, just do as they're are being told, without a question.
Obedience without ethics is what leads to the absolute worst in human behavior.
Oh well.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2024, 08:36:05 am »
They do more than doing what they are told to do - they believe what they are told to believe. Those web companies operate like cults, recruiting the most gullible purposeless losers looking for a hill to die on, then letting them proudly die on the hill of profits and political influencing aligned with the business model.

Web corporations have already done the hard part of rounding up dangerous lunatics in one place, now it's only a matter of obtaining their employee files and finishing the Revolution :D

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2024, 05:04:37 pm »
Here this is a general lag in the whole YT web interface. It's not even just when you watch a video

I found/suspect that the skeleton placeholders slows the page load down a bit by a couple of seconds or so.
youtube.com###home-page-skeleton
youtube.com###home-container-skeleton
youtube.com###rich-grid-media-skeleton

Time spent loading or displaying extra things that just disappear after.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 05:07:04 pm by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline IdahoMan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2024, 07:04:26 pm »
Two sites I can't even visit anymore are YouTube.com and Gog.com. They will freeze up my browser and/or my machine.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2024, 11:35:43 pm »
I actually  think the secret might be not having an account and not logging in. That is what I do also.

I use Firefox for youtube and I use NoScript and uBlock Origin to to stop most scripts from running and block most cookies. So far, I still have no issues with slowness or advertisements.

I still don't have any problems watching youtube. No delays, no adds.
But I don't login and I don't comment (I don't even have an account) and
I use Firefox & Ublock Origin & Privacy Badger & Cookie Autodelete on top of GNU/Linux.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2024, 11:50:38 pm »
   Regarding the yt screen things, that came at same time as the time delays;  I did figure out how to push around the AD that plays previous to any topic video.
   First, as the AD video goes thru it's first few seconds, I press on the 3 dots (smart phone) that brings little menu, starting with 'Settings'.
When 'settings' is pressed, the AD pauses, but then a press on the phone's 'BACK' key and the AD resumes...this time showing in a little window, at bottom.
   Pressing the 'PLAY  >' then moves that.little screen window, up to expand to regular sized video window...
   At that point there is some variation, but generally goes to 'SKIP' (the AD), sometimes a count-down a few seconds, or it will say 'Video plays after AD'.   Pressing the 'SKIP' or waiting the couple seconds, will get your video started, and in the big window.

Most always works....although sometimes it's a video that got pulled (showing the '!').

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2024, 09:00:19 am »
I actually  think the secret might be not having an account and not logging in. That is what I do also.
Very possible.

It's a common pattern that Internet services (and other businesses like banks or telcos) bend over backwards for new customers to lure them, then once you are hooked for good the milking commences.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2024, 10:38:59 pm »
I use YT not logged in on some devices, but only tablets, and so there may be differences other than not being logged in. I have indeed noticed less issues with adblockers in this case, but the downside is that when not logged in to YT, you can't change any settings, so you're stuck with the default ones. They still store a crapton of cookies on your device, but no account, no settings nonetheless. So there!

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2024, 09:39:58 am »
Everybody is different. The only settings I use always on youtube are autoplay off and the volume control. Both of those will stay as set for the session, so it's a one time thing. I don't know how they do that, but it seems to work without cookies. Sometimes annotations get turned off if they get annoying enough. That setting always resets on  the next video.

I block a lot of things at youtube with NoScript and uBlock Origin. Mainly google, doubleclick, and gstatic. Also all 3rd party scripts and frames. I've been watching videos for about an hour now and Firefox claims there are no cookies set.

About the only bad thing I've noticed is that some user interface items are missing graphics and have no placeholder. It makes it easy to accidentally click something (like the "youtube home" button) because you can't see it.

Online eutectique

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2024, 06:49:09 pm »
I've been watching videos for about an hour now and Firefox claims there are no cookies set.

I use Cookie AutoDelete. Each time YT loads, it pops up a message "Before you continue to YouTube. We use cookies and data to blah blah blah Reject Accept".

So, it does set cookies.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2024, 08:24:11 pm »
I've never seen that message at youtube. When I go into Settings > Privacy and Security  > Cookies and Site Data, it says there are no cookies. Firefox is set to "Delete all cookies and site data" when it's shut down anyway, so no big deal.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2024, 11:00:13 pm »
Of course it does store cookies. Actually, if it didn't, it would be one of the very rare websites currently that doesn't use cookies. Practically all web sites do, even when you don't see an obvious single reason to do so.

I just checked, and currently I have 22 cookies from youtube.com, last updates 2 min ago, whereas I didn't even watch a single YT video in a couple hours. All I did in the past few min that I think has triggered it is open a post in this forum that embedded a YT video, without even playing it. Nice. So, you have proof that barely displaying an embedded YT thumbnail will update cookies.

Unless you explicitely block cookies for YT, I don't see how you could have no cookies from it.

I also noticed a couple cookies from youtube-nocookies.com, yes, no kidding. Haven't checked what it could possibly be. :-DD

Online eutectique

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2024, 11:19:44 pm »
I also noticed a couple cookies from youtube-nocookies.com, yes, no kidding. Haven't checked what it could possibly be. :-DD

These are for rare dissidents who refuse to accept YT ones.  >:D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2024, 11:22:50 pm »
Ah, explanation there: https://apps.uk/what-is-youtube-nocookie/
But the hilarious part is that this does store cookies of its own. :-DD

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2024, 11:22:49 am »
Everybody is different. The only settings I use always on youtube are autoplay off and the volume control. Both of those will stay as set for the session, so it's a one time thing. I don't know how they do that, but it seems to work without cookies. Sometimes annotations get turned off if they get annoying enough. That setting always resets on  the next video.

My experience with turning off auto-play (not logged in) is mixed. Sometimes it stays off, but mostly it's turned on again for a new video. But after viewing a few videos and turning off auto-play each time (maybe 5 times) it will stay off for new videos. On Odysee auto-play stays off when turned off once (also not logged in).

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2024, 01:51:40 pm »
Well, I went to youtube and turned off all cookies, then watched three videos with no problems. I checked in Privacy & Security > Cookies and Site Data > Manage Data..., and nothing is listed. No cookies, no data.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2024, 01:58:22 pm »
Here are my uBlock settings for youtube.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2024, 06:01:36 am »
The YT f*ckers have come up with something new. :-DD

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2024, 07:07:03 am »
The YT f*ckers have come up with something new. :-DD
Do tell us...
I haven't seen anything new.
Though, I occasionally recently saw the add to get youtube premium, however, this is a change in the latest adblocker plus update where they have finally solved the damn lag issues.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2024, 07:36:50 am »
To begin with, the number of sponsored links that now appear (and can't seem to get blocked by adblockers, at least mine) has literally exploded.
The other thing that started very recently is that ads, that previously we didn't see at all with adblockers (YT had just managed to slow things down as discussed in this thread), now appear very briefly when streaming a video (like, a couple frames). And if there are ads in the middle of a video, they also appear as a flash like this. That's pretty distracting, although less annoying than having to watch the full ads. This point may differ depending on the adblocker you use and maybe your location (YT has a habit of deploying changes on a schedule depending on location). But that's "fun" to see how active they seem to be concerning their battle to shove ads up everyone's bottom.

Note that, for now, there's a very simple way of circumventing all these annoyances, it was evoked in this thread (although evoked as being possibly a coincidence), and I can confirm that it works. And that's possibly one reason some of you never get annoyed, even with Adblock plus. I'm not sure I get why it works, as it looks like a weird policy.

Offline Daixiwen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2024, 12:56:50 pm »
The ads appearing briefly are not directly caused by Youtube, but by the adblockers. During this cat-and-mouse game between the adblockers and Youtube, some adblockers found out that a good way to avoid being detected by youtube and having to change the rules every other day. In fact they load and play the ads, but at a ridiculous speed (1000x for example). This seems much more difficult for youtube to detect, and a minor annoyance for the users.

The following users thanked this post: 807

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2024, 01:10:11 pm »

My experience with turning off auto-play (not logged in) is mixed. Sometimes it stays off, but mostly it's turned on again for a new video. But after viewing a few videos and turning off auto-play each time (maybe 5 times) it will stay off for new videos. On Odysee auto-play stays off when turned off once (also not logged in).

I don't see my autoplay setting changing. It's OFF.
I went through installing U-Block a few months ago and this has all settled down for me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf