Author Topic: Do you believe that AI will eventually surpass humans?  (Read 12179 times)

Offline Junaid_razaTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
Do you believe that AI will eventually surpass humans?
« on: March 23, 2023, 06:40:30 pm »
I am interested in your thoughts on whether or not you believe AI will eventually surpass human abilities and potentially take over. Additionally, it seems that more people are turning to AI for help in their personal lives. Do you think this is beneficial for humanity, or do you believe we may face negative consequences in the future, such as widespread job displacement?

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Do you believe that AI will eventually surpass humans?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 07:14:23 pm »
Another ChatGPT thread collecting "fear, uncertainty, doubt" ?  The AI and its handler are clearly searching for human opinion about it, as well as spewing propaganda "potentially taking over" and "job displacement" and "surpassing humans". Buzz off.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 07:22:30 pm »
Maybe it already has in some cases.  Ever try the "live chat" on the USPS informed delivery site?  All you get is a scripted response from a presumably alive agent.  (Alive and live are not the same.  One meaning of "live" is electrically energized.)

The following users thanked this post: Junaid_raza

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 07:57:26 pm »
That's what I'm saying. I personally use Chatgpt, but the responses they offer are antiquated and not even well-researched. Still, Chatgpt can be useful in some situations if it is used correctly. No hate

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 11:22:02 pm »
Another ChatGPT thread collecting "fear, uncertainty, doubt" ?
Don’t you have a feeling, this entire section is nothing more than that? :)
People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 01:47:47 am »
Yes, but to what malicious goal?  Marketing? Psyop? Control of the lemmings?

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 08:44:06 pm »
You should start with the basics. Define "surpass".
See you in a... while.

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 09:52:39 pm »
haha I have no idea why I wrote this incredibly difficult word, which means TAKE OVER or whatever you are thinking.

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 09:58:01 pm »
I mean, buddy, I write content. What if someone prefers Chatgpt over me? That would be sad, but I've written wonderful articles about Chatgpt. I mean, I don't Despise Chatgpt; it's like I care more about people hehe :-DD

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 12:19:35 am »
Brutally speaking? If one prefers ChatGPT over you, you will do the same as it has been done for centuries before. If a kind of work was needed merely due to technological limitations, as those limitations disappear one changes their profession. This redirects resources to new things, which in turn permits progress. This is how humanity got to where it is now.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 02:47:51 am »
Ok, for now, AI will eat a shit load of electricity.

However, compared to a human, will the AI:

get tired?
get bored?
get sick or injured?  (In a sense where it will not be able to work for the rest of it's life)
need sleep?
cant it be cloned to multiple identical copies to do more work?
will the hardware improve in power consumption?
will it refuse to work?
will it's view and choices/ethics be controllable/hard programmed to the owner's will?

I can go on, but, when it comes to humans, the owners of the most powerful AIs will be the ones in control with the least amount of effort on their part.  IE: the smart ones with the most money now who play their cards right with AI will be the ones controlling our future until the mass human revolt.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 07:03:36 am by BrianHG »

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 02:43:21 pm »
Lets say it never gets to human+ level AI for a moment and just keeps improving productivity for a couple decades.

Sure it displaces some workers, but between mass migration and fertility collapse you can just throw it on the pile of massive changes we have to deal with.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2023, 03:50:03 pm »
An interesting article in today's NY Times about AI Chat stuff.
A political conservative, complaining of liberal bias in the results of the existing apps, came up with his own app that calls Trump the most important US president of all time and denies any important impact of climate change.
Meanwhile, the PRC is concerned that AI Chat apps might communicate politically incorrect facts and ideas to the Chinese population.
Stay tuned for further developments.

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2023, 04:34:14 pm »
Undoubtedly, AI has made tasks easier. Do you have the assignment to write or need programming codes? AI is here to assist. Additionally, I have a question for you: Do you think AI content ranks on Google? This Harvard Business Review article can provide answers to your questions.

https://hbr.org/2021/03/ai-should-augment-human-intelligence-not-replace-it

(Spam link removed)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 06:48:30 am by Halcyon »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2023, 06:29:41 pm »
Bots don't get weekends off? P.S. google search blows dead goats. All it thinks you are doing is shopping.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 06:31:45 pm by floobydust »

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2023, 08:14:33 pm »
haha I have no idea why I wrote this incredibly difficult word, which means TAKE OVER or whatever you are thinking.

The problem is not with the word obviously but with the concept. What does "taking over" means? What would that lead to? That's the whole point.
We have no freaking clue what "machines taking over" could possibly mean in reality. Some book/film authors have tried their rendition of that, in dramatic but not realistic ways.

I mean, buddy, I write content. What if someone prefers Chatgpt over me? That would be sad, but I've written wonderful articles about Chatgpt. I mean, I don't Despise Chatgpt; it's like I care more about people hehe :-DD

Now that's less vague. AI taking over means AI making your current job obsolete? That's a pretty narrow and self-centered definition of taking over. But a very common source of concern, when people are actually concerned at all.

By that criterion, many technological novelties have rendered some jobs obsolete. Most of our current tools have made some jobs obsolete. Does that mean that they have taken over the human species? Not really. ::) We just have to adapt and do other things.

Making humans "obsolete" is a whole step beyond that, if that's what one means by "taking over". It's the singularity when machines are not just tools anymore, and when "life" itself has no meaning anymore.

Whether that's something we want for our future is kinda up to us. Or is it. Those who think everything is predetermined will probably say that it's not up to us anyway.

But "actively" working at possibly making us in our entirety (not just some jobs or some other aspects that will make us evolve and do other things) *unwanted* is a suicidal behavior.
Which is as interesting from an anthropological POV as it is disturbing.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 08:26:48 pm »
An interesting article in today's NY Times about AI Chat stuff.
A political conservative, complaining of liberal bias in the results of the existing apps, came up with his own app that calls Trump the most important US president of all time and denies any important impact of climate change.
Meanwhile, the PRC is concerned that AI Chat apps might communicate politically incorrect facts and ideas to the Chinese population.
Stay tuned for further developments.
It's true, most AI bots in the west are artificially skewed to the left on issues of race and gender. The early AI bots which were not drugged with leftism told the truth, which upset many people. For example, ask it to draw a terrorist and it would produce an image of a man of South Asian/Middle Eastern appearance, then ask it to draw a top Mathematics student and it would give an image of a young white or Chinese person. Of course the model was working properly: stereotypes exist because they're more often than not true and a ML algorithm is based on statistics. Careful training is required to get it to produce politically correct content.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2023, 07:31:24 am »
After OP has been banned for posting spam diluted with AI gibberish of dubious quality and relevance, I have an intriguing thought.

ChapGPT is known for using the quite characteristic American Impersonal Politically Correct style of writing, making for example posts about technical topics that sound like the product of a Silicon Valley PR droid.

If this continues, even humans writing in this style may come to be associated with AI bots and shunned as a result :D

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2023, 06:11:47 pm »
You know, what most humans would do? They would be triggered by this post of mine. Voight-Kampff test failed? ;)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2023, 06:47:40 pm »
If this continues, even humans writing in this style may come to be associated with AI bots and shunned as a result :D

You wish. :-DD

Offline metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2023, 07:31:08 pm »
I am interested in your thoughts on whether or not you believe AI will eventually surpass human abilities and potentially take over. Additionally, it seems that more people are turning to AI for help in their personal lives. Do you think this is beneficial for humanity, or do you believe we may face negative consequences in the future, such as widespread job displacement?

My position is this. The answer depends on what you mean by abilities and what is understood by I(ntelligence). Certainly some abilities will be surpassed by AI, some may be already surpassed, some will be soon and some will be in future.

Will all human abilities be surpassed ? If we understand them, I think it is a possibility. I believe we will understand all of them one day, but that day I think is not in very near future.

I think it is beneficial in many areas, humans can find better things to do, but it is a social challenge for sure.

To be a danger as a big red danger for humanity, I think all abilities should be matched, as mentioned in the above point. That would probably scare me.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2023, 09:07:27 pm »
Consciousness is Not a Computation says Roger Penrose mathematician, mathematical physicist, philosopher of science and Nobel Laureate in Physics

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2023, 09:27:42 pm »
But who cares, consciousness brings no business! Computation does! :-DD

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2023, 05:59:20 pm »
Sure, but Tenstorrent Jim Keller cares about it! He's gone quite nuts recently!  :phew:

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2023, 06:44:55 pm »
will eventually surpass humans? NO however if AI gots control of the likes of boston dynamics 
AI can be given the tools to suppress humans . if foolish humans let it happen.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf