Author Topic: Newbie from Expedition, Ultimate (Workbench) and Viewlogic/PADs  (Read 3816 times)

Offline boxy123Topic starter

Is CS really as bad as I think?

I can't use Expedition at work because we're supposed to use the PCB 'team' for everything (this takes forever). Thus, a recently departed colleague purchased CS to do a small quantity development board.

This has diff pairs, length matching and all sorts of stuff and I got lumbered with updating it. $#%&#;'>@:~~!!!!!!!!!

Who is it designed for? Too expensive for hobbyists yet too crap for anybody serious. No software I have ever used has such non-existent manuals/support. Panelisation? Assembly drawings? Every damn google search comes up with AD related help instead of CS; either that or 'you can't do it'.

I tried a 1 month demo of AD but at work we don't have time to sit around playing with demos all day. Needless to say no organisation I work for will have AD or CS unless they sort this shite out.

The nearest analogy I can think of is MS office doing a version not allowing capital letters in Word or Excel being restricted to numbers below 73. Or, you can go above 73 by hacking the registry.

Not impressed.

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Newbie from Expedition, Ultimate (Workbench) and Viewlogic/PADs
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 06:28:34 pm »
Works fine for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Relaxe

• Regular Contributor
  • Keepin' it civilized
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 06:35:31 pm »
Works for me, too.

Going from AD to CS is pretty seamless. You hit the limitations, or know of ways to go around them from experience.
Going from any other EDA to CS must be much more painfull...

I was tempted to try out KiCAD.
Please, feel free to tell us what other software you end up using.
I really do want to know.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:35:37 am »
Works for me, too.

It has rough spots but so does any CAD software I've tried. All of them need a little patience.
Even at the current Farnell price of 800GBP I think it is still a contender but you need to check out other options too and see which you hate least like best.

Offline jmarkwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 12:29:55 pm »
Works fine for me.

The more I use it, the less I miss Altium Designer.

Offline mars01

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 06:34:22 pm »
Works fine for me.

The more I use it, the less I miss Altium Designer.

I find myself in the same spot. I have the opportunity to use the Altium Designer work license for whatever I do as hobby but once I bought CS I started to use it first because 'I gave money for it".

After a while I assigned a lot of shortcuts to my liking including for some capabilities for which there is no GUI in CS and found that I'm comfortable using it. Especially turning off and on the polygons (for that I have 2 shortcut keys as there is no way to make a toggle).

There are rough spots, e.g it's annoying me like hell that when adding components in schematic, they put the component name column the last, and I move it in the right position (first) the software move it back when adding the next component ...  and others but overall it's an okeish software.

Offline DIPLover

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 12:33:56 am »
It’s AD lite, and yes it’s a pity it does not have it’s own documentation.

But so far I’ve been able to figure out anything I wanted to do from the AD results to my googling. Stuff is a bit shuffled around but once you figure out how to launch the panel you need, it’s the same AD panel 99% of the time and you can just follow the AD docs.

For $500, it’s a nice tool on my bench and cheaper than most instruments. And it will work forever in it’s own little Win7 VM.

It could be great if it got some love from Altium and it’s a bit sad but c’est la vie...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:36:28 am by DIPLover »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf