Author Topic: Dragging components in schematic editor causes wires to merge ?  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Geoff_STopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Dragging components in schematic editor causes wires to merge ?
« on: January 01, 2017, 01:21:06 am »
So I've started laying out a schematic, with a main IC with a bunch of input pins connected to RC input filters.  I decide that I need to shift the main IC down the page a bit to allow room for some other components.  As I drag the IC to move it, I notice that wires that end up overlapping each other get merged.  My only workaround at the moment is to delete all the interconnecting wires that might get affected by the move, shift the IC, then re-connect everything.  uggh  |O  See example below - notice that wires connecting to input pins REFIN- and AIN0 get merged as a result of the move.

Is this really how it is meant to work ?  I've googled and looked through the system preferences but haven't found anything which helps.

Offline mrtn

• Contributor
Re: Dragging components in schematic editor causes wires to merge ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 12:49:24 pm »
So I've started laying out a schematic, with a main IC with a bunch of input pins connected to RC input filters.  I decide that I need to shift the main IC down the page a bit to allow room for some other components.  As I drag the IC to move it, I notice that wires that end up overlapping each other get merged.  My only workaround at the moment is to delete all the interconnecting wires that might get affected by the move, shift the IC, then re-connect everything.  uggh  |O  See example below - notice that wires connecting to input pins REFIN- and AIN0 get merged as a result of the move.

Is this really how it is meant to work ?  I've googled and looked through the system preferences but haven't found anything which helps.

When you select the net nodes along with the IC you can drag the whole thing up and down. And yes you will see issues with net wires attaching themselves/overlapping if they happen to line up the wrong way.

Offline jmarkwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:22:19 pm »
That's dragging vs moving.

I'm not sitting at the computer with Circuit Studio on it, but as I recall you can right-click on the part and you can move it without dragging along the wires.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:17:53 pm by jmarkwolf »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 02:20:26 am »
Yes, but moving results in all the existing wire connections being broken.  So either I drag and get random changes in wire connectivity, or move and lose all wire connectivity.   |O

Offline jmarkwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 12:14:54 pm »
So, what you're wanting is a "smarter" drag?

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:23:55 pm »
This behaviour is common to far too many schematic packages that allow drag to connect.  Its worse if you need to rotate a block!  |O

At least with dragging there's usually way to do it in stages in an order that doesn't mess up, but it would be nice to have an option to 'ratsnest' nodes that would otherwise become connected during the drag so they can be rerouted manually afterwards.

The following users thanked this post: Geoff_S

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 02:31:19 am »
I'd settle for "less dumb"...

DipTrace lets you drag components without this problem - the wires may become a bit of a rats nest (multiple wires lying over the top of each other) but it doesn't merge them, so it is a quick process to tidy things up.

This behaviour is common to far too many schematic packages that allow drag to connect.  Its worse if you need to rotate a block!  |O

At least with dragging there's usually way to do it in stages in an order that doesn't mess up, but it would be nice to have an option to 'ratsnest' nodes that would otherwise become connected during the drag so they can be rerouted manually afterwards.
It surprises me that they decided (and devoted software development time) that dragging components would then imply an intent by the user to merge wires in a random fashion.

In any case, my trial period for CircuitStudio is up.  I've now uninstalled it.  I was hoping it would be a step up from what I'm currently using but I couldn't convince myself that was the case.

Offline jmarkwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 04:18:19 pm »
I'd settle for "less dumb"...

LOL.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf