Author Topic: Half price Circuit Studio  (Read 69347 times)

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
Re: Half price Circuit Studio
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2017, 02:44:57 pm »
Is the subscription price at 150usd regular or will rise?
Because in sw I can click renew and extend me till 2019,
Also Farnell/Newark show red stamp with special price only on CS

$150 is the regular annual maintenance charge. Of course it may go up in the future, but if you buy now you won't be charged extra if it goes up later.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2017, 02:56:33 pm »
I reckon the price will only go up, renewing now is probably a wise move.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2017, 06:31:21 pm »
I finally got the order thru at Farnell without them screwing me over on exchange rates and what not, man that was frustrating  |O

I had the in-app buy option as the next resort but going that route would've added a 15% premium compared to Farnell. Now I got the ACS10 discount and payed 20% VAT (in the UK) instead of 25% as I would've if I had "imported" the license from Australia (at least I suspect that's what would have happened). Had I bought it thru the Swedish Farnell "proxy" as they wanted me to I would've payed a 26% premium.

I hope using the thing doesn't prove to be as hard as buying it.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2017, 11:16:24 pm »
I finally got the order thru at Farnell without them screwing me over on exchange rates and what not, man that was frustrating  |O

I had the in-app buy option as the next resort but going that route would've added a 15% premium compared to Farnell. Now I got the ACS10 discount and payed 20% VAT (in the UK) instead of 25% as I would've if I had "imported" the license from Australia (at least I suspect that's what would have happened). Had I bought it thru the Swedish Farnell "proxy" as they wanted me to I would've payed a 26% premium.

I hope using the thing doesn't prove to be as hard as buying it.

There IS a learning curve!! But well spent as it is pretty much the same as Altium :) - after 2 months now I'm slowly getting to where I was with DipTrace before. All my old Protel and Orcad knowledge from '80s seem to have gone down the drain somewhere with age...

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2017, 11:24:33 pm »
As said there is a learning curve but it really is a very nice package. I am moving from EasyPC and everything is different but I am appreciating its features and things seem to make a lot of sense. I really like it.

The 3D integration is on another level. There are also so many libraries out there and once you have spent time creating a few library components it all starts to feel very nice.

I think it is a package where the more work you put into learning it and taking your time to learn it properly the more you will get out of it.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2017, 07:08:19 am »
I think it is a package where the more work you put into learning it and taking your time to learn it properly the more you will get out of it.
No doubt about that. I've had no problems with EAGLE, it's been SUPER reliable and I don't find it weird or complicated as so many seem to do but it has obviously taken considerable time getting to that point and I don't expect to be CS to be any difference. I'm looking forward to dig into CS properly.

I'm still trying to figure out the library differences. "Everyone" says that the "correct" way is to have libraries with SPECIFIC part numbers but I can not wrap my head around the idea of having a library with 6000 resistors in it (for ONE series from ONE manufacturer). When capturing the schematic I don't really want to worry about manufacturer, series or not even value. I totally get the benefit of being able to generate an accurate BOM at the end but I'm not doing manufacturing and a 1k 0805 resistor is just that - ANY 1k 0805 resistor.

And, it's not clear to me if I have a library with 500 resistor "parts" in a 0805 footprint and I find myself in need of having to tweak that 0805 footprint. Is their ONE 0805 footprint which ALL the 500 parts are using or does all the 500 parts have their own "copy" of footprint meaning I have to update 500 parts?

Drifting off topic, sorry...

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2017, 08:29:25 am »
If you don't need a BOM then don't worry about having a library of specific part numbers.
But if you need a BOM you gotta do that work anyway, so you may as well well do it up front (in the libraries) so its useful in other projects going forward.
There is another thread hereabouts that discusses libraries for CS that might have some useful links for you.

Online VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2017, 05:09:35 pm »

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2017, 06:20:43 pm »
Just read through this short thread, you'll find the answer you are looking for and might even save some money  ;)

Offline ehughes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2017, 11:38:00 pm »
Keep in mind that if you want to have a library of generic passives, That will work as well.    I have large database libraries for specific passives but i also have a generic library as well.

Offline jmarkwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2017, 01:21:53 pm »
If you don't need a BOM then don't worry about having a library of specific part numbers.
But if you need a BOM you gotta do that work anyway, so you may as well well do it up front (in the libraries) so its useful in other projects going forward.

Volts is correct.

Capturing all the pertinent data in the BOM specific parameter fields in the library symbols is the best way to do it.

It's labor intensive at first, but eventually you'll need new parts added only occasionally.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2017, 02:23:14 pm »
Thanks guys,

What's pertinent for a resistor in my case is the value, tolerance, power rating and size - I don't have a need to "lock into" a specific manufacturer and series for parts like that.

Don't get me wrong. I want/need a BOM but for generic stuff like resistors and capacitors it's enough that it (the BOM) says something like 1k 0805 or 22nF, 50V 0603 because in 99% of the cases ANY 1k 0805 resistor and/or ANY 22nF, 50V, 0603 capacitor from ANY manufacturer will do, there's no need (in my case) to specify or "lock in" a specific manufacturer and series and having a number like CRCW08051K00FKEA or CL10B223KB8NNNC in the BOM. If I publish or give that BOM to someone (including myself sometime down the road) they might think it HAS to be that specific part for whatever reason when in fact just about anything will do. In those rare cases a SPECIFIC part is selected/needed I would obviously specify that.

Offline tycz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2017, 03:13:31 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out the library differences. "Everyone" says that the "correct" way is to have libraries with SPECIFIC part numbers but I can not wrap my head around the idea of having a library with 6000 resistors in it (for ONE series from ONE manufacturer). When capturing the schematic I don't really want to worry about manufacturer, series or not even value. I totally get the benefit of being able to generate an accurate BOM at the end but I'm not doing manufacturing and a 1k 0805 resistor is just that - ANY 1k 0805 resistor.

I don't think it's useful, or even normal to specify part numbers for generic components. When submitting a BOM to a contract manufacturer for purchasing, the part numbers from the Farnell catalogue are of little use to them. They will have their own supply chain for common passive components so it's better (easier, faster, cheaper) to let them sort it out.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2017, 05:36:30 pm »
That's crazy talk.
You still have to give the contract manufacturer a BOM of manufacturers PNs at least, and the Farnell/Digikey/Mouser/whatever PNs are useful for in-house proto builds.
But, whatever, at least CS gives you the option to make life hard for yourself if you like it that way.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2017, 01:57:51 pm »
I decided to buy a license after trying the product for a couple weeks and getting used to it.  I am getting to grips with the library management and I think I just need to study the training videos online and practice a lot.   Similar comment applies to the Vault.

So another member of the CS 'club'.

Online VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2017, 03:05:45 pm »
What I understood is that this license grants you CS forever with any usage. While yearly maintenance fee is for upgrades and using Altuim Vault right?

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2017, 03:22:55 pm »
Yes, it is a perpetual license. You can export the license into a file.

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2017, 03:28:05 pm »
What I understood is that this license grants you CS forever with any usage. While yearly maintenance fee is for upgrades and using Altuim Vault right?

Yes, that's correct. The terms allow you to install on up to 3 machines, but as was said earlier, the license is a text file that can just be copied to whatever machine you want to install CS onto.
T

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2017, 05:21:50 pm »
I think you are allowed to install on two machines as long as CS is not used simultaneously on both. You may also make a third backup copy, although that must mean a hard-drive image because there is no offline installer to backup.

From license agreement:
In the event that You have licensed the Licensed Materials for use in connection with a single computer, You may install and use only a single copy thereof at any given time, and said copy may be used only by You; provided, however, that if You have licensed the Licensed Materials for use on a single computer: a) you may install a second copy of the Licensed Materials on a home computer solely for use in connection with, and governed by, the License granted herein, so long as such copy is never used simultaneously with the original copy; and b) You may make a back-up, archival copy thereof that You shall install and use only in the event the original copy of the Licensed Materials is lost, corrupted or in some other way made unavailable other than through use or possession by another person.

http://www.altium.com/eula

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2017, 08:15:19 pm »
I think you are allowed to install on two machines as long as CS is not used simultaneously on both. You may also make a third backup copy, although that must mean a hard-drive image because there is no offline installer to backup.

From license agreement:
In the event that You have licensed the Licensed Materials for use in connection with a single computer, You may install and use only a single copy thereof at any given time, and said copy may be used only by You; provided, however, that if You have licensed the Licensed Materials for use on a single computer: a) you may install a second copy of the Licensed Materials on a home computer solely for use in connection with, and governed by, the License granted herein, so long as such copy is never used simultaneously with the original copy; and b) You may make a back-up, archival copy thereof that You shall install and use only in the event the original copy of the Licensed Materials is lost, corrupted or in some other way made unavailable other than through use or possession by another person.

http://www.altium.com/eula

You have to request the offline installer from customer service to get the FTP credentials to download it. Similar to Altium Designer.

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2017, 09:11:08 pm »
Farnell & Altium tried to fix the wrong username/email.
Now nothing works and I can't sign in. What a mess.

Offline kqr2

« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2017, 11:27:34 pm »
Is the half price circuitstudio deal over?

If you go to : https://www.element14.com/community/community/manufacturers/altium

The purchase price is now $995.

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2017, 12:56:49 am »
Is the half price circuitstudio deal over?

If you go to : https://www.element14.com/community/community/manufacturers/altium

The purchase price is now $995.

To get the $500 discount you must now buy through: http://www.altium.com/eagle-switch/circuitstudio/

Also, discount code REACY1 takes another $25 off for a final price of $470.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:59:17 am by GlowingGhoul »

The following users thanked this post: arteitle

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2017, 06:28:23 am »
The price is still SEK4400 (~$495) on the Swedish Farnell site (where individuals are not allowed to order) and the UK site still shows £395.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2017, 11:57:12 am »
The price is still SEK4400 (~$495) on the Swedish Farnell site (where individuals are not allowed to order) and the UK site still shows £395.

I used the UK export site  http://export.farnell.com  to buy my copy, as the US site (Newark) has gone back to $995 with no voucher. 
Although the price says £395 in the UK they actually charged my US credit card $501.61 after the ACS10 discount, which I reckon is about $50 too much.
However I don't think i'm going to rock the boat and argue with Farnell - could well end up being a painful exercise.
Another interesting thing is they invoiced me and billed my CC directly in US dollars, not pounds. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf