Author Topic: [Solved - enable JavaScript] Firefox expands each "People ask" in Google search  (Read 2006 times)

Offline RoGeorgeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Since yesterday, the Google search layout in Firefox changed for me into something almost unusable.  There is more than a desktop height page full of expanded "People ask" boxes.  To see the actual results, I need to scroll down one screen, or so.  This happens only with Firefox, and only when searching from the Address Bar.  Firefox 76.0.1 (64-bit), Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

999881-0

With Pale Moon instead of Firefox, the Google login is shown on top, and the "People ask" question are minimized by default, as it always was.

999883-1

Is there any way to remove "People Ask" section from the search results, or at least to NOT expand the stupid questions by default?

I've found a Firefox extension that is supposed to remove the retarded "People also ask" section, but this layout is very recent.  The extension didn't work.  Same with a Greasemonkey or a Stylus script that was supposed to remove the idiotic questions.  They don't remove anything.

Changing the user agent in Firefox also didn't restored the expected layout.  I don't even know if this layout change is from Google, or from Firefox, or maybe from some other setting.

- Any ideas how to get rid of "People ask", or at least how to restore the old layout (like in the se4cond pic), please?
- Anybody else with the same problem?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:13:48 am by RoGeorge »

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
Re: Firefox automatically expands "People ask" crap in Google search
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:38:54 am »
I don't see that shit but I use Adblock Plus and Privacy Badger.

https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/115038/how-to-stop-googles-people-also-search-for

But I mostly use Duckduckgo anyway...

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Offline ceoxrad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 09:39:38 am »
Strange, for me is fine. I have exactly the same setup
Sorry for any mistake in my English

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 10:02:23 am »
Minimised for me in FF77 Win10 with uBlock.

DuckDuckGo is getting better all the time, thankfully.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 10:09:18 am »
It was because JavaScript was disabled for google.com only, from uBlock origin.

Most probably I accidentally clicked on it while the PC already woke up, but the monitor was still in standby.  Enabled the JavaScript and it all came back to normal now, thanks for the help.
 :)

• Super Contributor
As a side note, with JavScript enabled and after adding the following two lines to the uBlock Origin's settings in the "My filters" page, the "People ask" section is now removed from any Google search.
Code: [Select]
google.*##.dKWUte:has-text(People also search for)
google.*##.kp-blk:has-text(People also ask)

^-^

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
You can pretty much block all JavaScript from google and the search will still work. The search results are relatively clean and concise, without added crap. I pretty much block anything containing "google". Occasionally it's necessary to allow googleapis though (for Ajax), and googlevideo is required for youtube to work.

Online Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Since yesterday, the Google search layout in Firefox changed for me into something almost unusable.  There is more than a desktop height page full of expanded "People ask" boxes.  To see the actual results, I need to scroll down one screen, or so.  This happens only with Firefox, and only when searching from the Address Bar.  Firefox 76.0.1 (64-bit), Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

(Attachment Link)

With Pale Moon instead of Firefox, the Google login is shown on top, and the "People ask" question are minimized by default, as it always was.

(Attachment Link)

Is there any way to remove "People Ask" section from the search results, or at least to NOT expand the stupid questions by default?

I've found a Firefox extension that is supposed to remove the retarded "People also ask" section, but this layout is very recent.  The extension didn't work.  Same with a Greasemonkey or a Stylus script that was supposed to remove the idiotic questions.  They don't remove anything.

Changing the user agent in Firefox also didn't restored the expected layout.  I don't even know if this layout change is from Google, or from Firefox, or maybe from some other setting.

- Any ideas how to get rid of "People ask", or at least how to restore the old layout (like in the se4cond pic), please?
- Anybody else with the same problem?

I've never seen "People Asks" on Google. I wonder if it's a regional thing?  I've been using Google as my home page for years just because I use it so much and because it's nice clean page without all of the ads and garbage that Yahoo, Bing and the other have.   I mainly use Pale moon but I just checked both it and Firefox and Chrome and I don't see People Asks on any of them.  I may have Ad Blocked some stuff on Google in Firefox but I know that I haven't blocked People Asks and I haven't blocked anything in Chrome.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf