Author Topic: The CLOUD censorship manure...  (Read 4908 times)

Offline PKTKSTopic starter

• Super Contributor
The CLOUD censorship manure...
« on: May 23, 2020, 07:21:22 pm »
no surprises on 2 fabs.

https://www.osnews.com/story/131830/macos-10-15-alow-by-design/

I guess very soon...

-  the retarded systemd goonies
will introduce :
 systemd.registry
 systemd.telemetry
 systemd.callback_home
 systemd.digitalrights

as the systemd.user_directory is already there..
for total control or total censorship

I am getting skeptical of these trends.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:40:13 pm by PKTKS »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: The CLOUD censorship manure...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 01:20:58 am »
I wonder what happens if you write a script to start a lot of (small) processes at once. Would it DoS the Apple servers?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 11:45:39 am »
Apple is evil, avoid apple and you will be happy

The following users thanked this post: chriva, nuclearcat

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 08:53:38 pm »
It's just matter of time before app developers widely adopt Linux.

Doubt it going to happen very soon, been promised long time ago, isn't?

The main issue not with Linux, but with a penguin zoo - so many species live there.
Until somebody be in charge and intruduce some uniform body to look after generic and common standards (UI,APIs), no much change - Ubuntu now,  Mandrake days back  >:D

The following users thanked this post: chriva

Offline chriva

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 04:06:15 am »
"Linux is the future. Linux is everything"
We've heard this since around Y2000 and it's still only bordering 3% of the total share of operative systems in use.

That kitchen has way too many cooks and no one can agree on anything. You're frankly missing a few screws if you give up mature software suites because of your beliefs. Could you at least accept that some people have a life and don't want to poke around for hours upon hours with stupid scripts only to do the most basic things? I love Linux, I use it on a daily basis, it's a great tool in the toolbox but it's not the answer to everything. You fanboy screaming Linux to everything is seriously starting to tick me off. Get a life

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 02:23:51 pm »
You fanboy screaming Linux to everything is seriously starting to tick me off. Get a life
Reread your own post, then this thread, and try to find what the hell is that ticks you so badly off whenever Linux is mentioned.  You even called me names just because I happen to have a fucking penguin as my avatar.  (And it never even occurred to you that being "Nominal Animal" and having a semi-related animal avatar might be a branding thing, not an ideology.)

Nobody is screaming Linux to everything, not in this thread, or in these forums.  They're pointing out A) the shitty trajectory Apple is taking, B) that Microsoft is already there, and C) that systemd folks on Linux seem to be gung-ho on heading that way too.  Linux and *BSDs are the only OSes an integrator (say, a team at an org) can modify and tune to the actual needs and workflows of their users freely, but even that is being lost.

See?  We know others are just fine and comfy on their machines, but *our* options and workflows are being reduced/hindered/threatened.  I've even mentioned in other threads that *I don't want* more Desktop Linux users at all, because I like it as a specialized tool it still kinda is.

Now scrape off that hostility, stop reacting to just the word "Linux", and read the text it is in, before you vomit out your emotional reaction to that word.  Pretty please?  :-//  I'm pretty sure you might have really good insights, if you could get over that initial emotive reaction.  :-+

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 10:38:17 pm »
  I've even mentioned in other threads that *I don't want* more Desktop Linux users at all,
I'm afraid to disappoint, but it's like arrive on overcrowded beach and say "I like it, but want to be alone".

But not too late "Think Different" , Be So Different - not many people running FreeBSD GUI these days >:D

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 02:03:02 am »
I've even mentioned in other threads that *I don't want* more Desktop Linux users at all,
I'm afraid to disappoint, but it's like arrive on overcrowded beach and say "I like it, but want to be alone".
Well, 'tis but a tool.  I am not interested in compromising its quality/adaptability/performance just to attract more people.  I don't see the market share as something meaningful.

While I do like to help others mold their Linux machines to better help with their workflow, I do it because I like people having better tools for their jobs, not because I think more people should be using Linux.  People should use whatever tools make them productive.  They also should not demand crapification of existing tools because they find them hard to learn, but a lot of FOSS devs nowadays are trapped believing in importance of popularity.  Tools do not need to be popular, they need to be effective.

So, I'm not telling people to get off the beach; I'm just telling them not to pave it with crap – and otherwise not caring how many other people enjoy it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 10:22:16 am »
Some GASOLINE on the fire..

Several months ago I have read an interview
with a big MS executive saying that their biggest
mistake strategy was:

- not accounting for Android as this era dominant OS

Actually Android is google *nix kernel for their adware platform

TODAY...  I have read another piece of marvelous opinion
Which i must share here because it directly relates to the issue

According to this folk:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/2020-will-be-the-year-of-linux-on-the-windows-desktop/

The whole "DESKTOP LINUX" future is:   Microsoft Linux.

Go figure.

Paul

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 10:51:11 am »
Actually Android is google *nix kernel for their adware platform

And yes, Windows Subsystem Linux is strange. You no longer boot into Window, but you boot hyper-v which boots Windows which boots linux.
Not to worry about Microsoft Linux, they haven't bought Canonical yet.

Phoning home is a new trend in saas and cloud. You no longer own a pc, you own a terminal. A fancy browser.

Offline fragile

• Contributor
  • My Mom wants me to excel in STEM subjects.
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 02:14:23 pm »
Apple is evil, avoid apple and you will be happy
Can a 'thing' really be evil?
Everything else is wrong!

Online Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 05:58:20 am »
Phoning home is a new trend in saas and cloud. You no longer own a pc, you own a terminal. A fancy browser.

Just before the virus lock down, I was accompanying someone shopping for a PC.  I too came to the conclusion that the "P" in PC.

An era gone by, I guess.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 02:59:38 pm »

Just before the virus lock down, I was accompanying someone shopping for a PC.  I too came to the conclusion that the "P" in PC.

An era gone by, I guess.

It just can not be such way.

"A" computer today is such as indispensable  tool  as a wheel.

(me) Being a long term user I have seen those 2 brands (app MS)
doing outrageous things.. they bankrupted all competitors in 90s
like WATCOM Borland Lotus Novell OS/2 Corel (worperfect)

Locking superior competitors out was the only way to ensure
their own crappy soft would the *ONLY* and exclusive alternative 

All POSIX standards were crapped since 00s once they could not
own or patent POSIX. But a breaking point has been reached.

It is up to us consumers to say *enough*  - we will not pay a
dysfunctional hardware  to be tenants of your business

We have alternatives by not allowing those accounting services
being the only thing a computer is able to do. Enough.

So what? They will hijack open source software and sell that as
a paid service ? On a full paid hardware we are forced to buy
and say YES to their license ?

Apple has gone way too far by literally not allowing repair
on the purchased hardware.

Enough is enough - there are still choices and dropping
such alternatives is first choice, otherwise we will pay
these folks just to have what is open free stuff

Apart and not mention our own private data they also get

Paul

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 03:42:02 pm »
Why in Earth does Apple think people want to report everything they do back to them?

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 03:57:54 pm »
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210642#macos10155

Major new releases of macOS are no longer hidden when using the softwareupdate command with the  --ignore flag
This change also affects macOS Mojave and macOS High Sierra after installing Security Update 2020-003
In short, that's annoyed pop-up always will be there now

Semi-forced update, a few steps and more like Win 10  Home :popcorn:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:16:40 pm by olkipukki »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 04:32:32 pm »
It may sounds for share holders..

WTF but who in perfect mental health would run
such combination ?

An order of magnitude SAFER and better OS
under another unsafe and plagued with problems one?

final but not the least - paying to run free open source ?
and better stuff confined into that pile of shit?

sounds as an asylum of mental freaks doing that.

But is looks good for share holders of those folks
Both corps. have money and personnel to write better stuff

Hijacking open source is a mock with their users

Paul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 06:20:50 pm »
I'm more convinced that PE/EXE will be an official binary format alongside ELF in future Linux, as MSFT shifts its focus to cloud service and infrastructure, proprietary software (Office, VS, etc.) and hardware, leaving the mess of Windows to the Linux community.

That buz can only succeed if they radically change
the PC  (as they are trying for a decade)

Transforming that tool into a paid terminal for subscriptions.
They own the hardware they locked the user out
all competitors out and so ... just such subscription service will
be available.

Obviously not allowing external boots 3rd part drivers
and  offering that mocked version of open source inside..

Anyway, MS Office probably brings much more profit to them as of now than Windows, as most copies of Windows nowadays are free or near free volume licensed by OEMs. They are not stupid enough to consider the DIY market being able to support their entire sales. It's no 1990 anymore.

It does.  They made a pile of wealthy money.

Enough don't you think?

Paul

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 06:36:45 pm »
Most mid-high range professional commercial programs (not talking those million dollar EDA tools) run on Windows. and to date, FOSS counterparts suck.

Unfortunately, that's an illusion. What really happens is commercial programs suck. People create better FOSS counterparts. Commercial programs react and become better than FOSS. FOSS reacts and gets on par. Commercial programs react again and so on.

Sometimes commercial programs get preemptive in their development, and seeing that FOSS will eventually catch up, endeavor to get always ahead of FOSS.

FOSS also sets the minimum acceptable quality for commercial programs, so the commercial initiatives that can't outdo it get killed, further enhancing the perception that commercial programs rule (because only the significant ones can survive).

So FOSS doesn't suck. FOSS rules and you have to thank it for causing the improvement of the solution to which you're happy to see your hard-earned money go.

Long live FOSS and the freedom it brings.

Online Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 08:42:57 pm »
Like most of you, I too am hoping a lively PC market will return...  I want a machine with software I can buy, not subscribe.  I want software I can run, without needing the internet - ever.  When I do want to browse, I will click on the browser and that should be the ONLY time when that PC needs a net connection.

With "P" in "PC" gone, a new market niche opened.  May be some one/some company would take advantage of it.  A reasonably well packaged really "personal" system for the more privacy-inclined who doesn't mind some poking under the hood, and are willing to spending a little more just to get away from the Google, Apple, and Microsoft triad.  We need the "P" in the PC back.

Some poking, but not rebuilding the bloody thing!  Right now, it is still too messy...  The answer for the question: "I am buying laptop X, what is the chance I can find all the drivers I need to make laptop X fully functional", the answer likely is "it depends".  We need that "it depends" to be "for a typical main-line (hp/dell/asus/lenonvo etc) machines, the manufacturer's site (or a new niche company's site) will have everything you need."

Re-reading before posting this reply, I am not sure if I wrote a reply, a rant, or a prayer...

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2020, 09:25:30 pm »

Which is better than Windows or macOS being the two only real options. MSFT Linux still runs Linux kernel, if they want EXE compatibility to be good, they will have to doctor the kernel, and that will push equilibrium to Linux, enabling other distros to better support EXE, eventually leading to wide adoption to Linux of former Windows users.

Do you mean Linux is our Future?  >:D

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 04:55:32 am »
Everything needed is there, they just don't want to put it together from the perspective of the users.
I'm don't think it is a question of not wanting to do it, I think it is a question of not being realistically able to.

(TL;DR: I'm not disagreeing on the matter, only on the reason why.)

It is rare for a FOSS application to have their UI be designed by someone who actually knows about UI design.  Most of the developers just do code.
When the project reaches maturity, the developers are very familiar with the existing UI, so they are inclined to dislike any changes, because it would involve them (and their users) relearning the new UI themselves.  Simply put, very very few can actually design better UIs, and the rest of the devs can't be expected to volunteer to do work that means even more work for themselves without any obvious benefits.  (The benefits of a better UI aren't obvious to them, because they cannot tell the difference between the current UI and a much better one without using them.)

In my experience, revamping the UI essentially requires a substantial rewrite.  It is not in itself a blocker, as many FOSS projects go through rewrites when needed.  But it does indicate how much work is at stake, and without a professional UI design up front, there is no guarantee the result is any better than the original.. the risks are large, and the benefits to existing users small.

And the way FOSS ecosystem works, popularity itself is irrelevant: only contributing users matter.

:-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf