Author Topic: BIG EEVblog Giveaway Coming Up  (Read 113587 times)

Offline tekbasse

• Contributor
    • linkedin profile
Re: BIG EEVblog Giveaway Coming Up
« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2016, 02:21:44 pm »
Twitter promos tend to be epic fails when done by corporations; often they require a link back to their website which tends to kill the signal.  Using twitter and not requiring a link, Keysight gets promotion from indirect sources. The messages trend instead of getting demoted as social networking spam.

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
« Reply #176 on: February 15, 2016, 04:08:09 pm »
The taxes I'll have to pay for a $15K-worth-scope are, by themselves, higher than the cost of a new scope that's quite enough for my needs. That's sad for all kinds of reasons actually  :)

So I'll stick to my second-hand HP 54501A... it's so heavy I can't move it from my workbench anyway  ;D
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline tekbasse

• Contributor
    • linkedin profile
« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2016, 04:23:37 pm »
Hrm. The #giveKeysight hashtag wouldn't look right to nonparticipants.. maybe #keysight4u instead.

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2016, 04:55:48 pm »
You could go "old-school" and have people send in a postcard and then you could draw from a box/barrel/bag.

EEVBlog Episode#5723 --- Mailbag June 23, 2036.... Dave opens yet another contest postcard that has been sitting on the shelf for 20 years and he just has not got around to opening. :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 04:57:39 pm by nixfu »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2016, 06:36:27 pm »
Twitter promos tend to be epic fails when done by corporations; often they require a link back to their website which tends to kill the signal.  Using twitter and not requiring a link, Keysight gets promotion from indirect sources. The messages trend instead of getting demoted as social networking spam.

Boo. No twitter please!  :--

Offline selkathguy

• Supporter
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2016, 06:56:47 pm »
I think there's a case for requiring some kind of reason that you need it (I think I could take a really good stab at it), though if its a giveaway that is meant to go to whoever says "gimme" then I think a simple forum post the way you've done it in the past is fine.  Besides, if its user voting, nobody is going to read X number of personal stories where X is the number of entrants, so you'd get skewed voting for people on first and last pages where people in the middle are forgotten or unseen.  I doubt you want to have to read thousands of stories for the giveaway, as cool as some of them may be.

As for not getting the viewers on Youtube, as someone who watches your videos on youtube I have to say that if someone cant even be asked to make a forum account and ask just a couple questions provide a couple comments, why should they get a $15k scope that is intended for members of that community?   In addition, trying to get youtube users gets really hairy for avoiding duplicates.  Just my two cents though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:59:34 pm by selkathguy »

Offline selkathguy

• Supporter
« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2016, 08:00:35 pm »
Rs20's links to the numberphile Telescope Time videos are actually a really good idea if you want people to justify usage or make a case for themselves.  If that's an option I'd certainly change my vote to that.  A little more complex to administer but I'd be on board for that.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2016, 12:39:57 am »
FYI regarding taxes, we had a winner of the "Dream Bench" giveaway donate the equipment they won to the local makerspace.  That way, he still had access to the equipment, but the donation value = the prize value, so he owed no taxes. 

Offline genesisq

« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2016, 01:07:01 am »
"how to do giveaways" on google gave me Rafflecopter. It looks like they have free services to an extent.

Offline Al

« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2016, 06:12:56 am »
Hey Dave,

Thanks for this giveaway, well, the way I look at it is as follows: I know a lot of people are thinking of excluding people with not many posts on the forum such as myself (since some could be 1-post drones for the giveaway) however, there are many of us out there that are pretty active on YouTube comments (like myself). While I might not have signed up for the EEVBlog forum prior to this, I've been pretty much a very active viewer and commenter on YouTube.

With that said, I think the draw should be fairer than that. Since these scopes are VERY expensive, I wouldn't want to give them to somebody who wouldn't have any use for them, it would be such a waste! So perhaps some form of a minimal occupational or academic (degrees) standard should be in place? I have no idea what would be the best way to implement this but I would hate to see a 15K scope wasted on someone who'd never use it!

One way is to have people "tweet" a specific hashtag, and then use a program (or write one) that would filter / pull tweets by Hashtag, then simply randomize a number and pick a winner. You can even filter duplicates so you only count people once no matter how many times they tweet at you. Additionally, the Twitter API allows you to filter by date posted. Therefore, you can make a 48 hour window for people to tweet at you or so, this way people don't spam you forever with the giveaway hashtag.

I'd also be OK with a raffle-style giveaway! $1 tickets, then give the lump-sum to charity or something cool like that (I know a lot of people would disagree with this, but it could be a win-win thing).

All in all, my main concern is that the expensive high-end scopes ending up wasted on someone who's never going to use them, or someone who's just gonna turn around and list them on eBay upon winning.

I hope you have some update for us soon! And hey, thank you so much for this great opportunity! As an electrical and embedded software engineer myself, I know I could REALLY use a high-end scope at home! I mess a lot with Raspberry Pi's, FPGA's and other small computers and a high-end scope would tremendously improve my process!

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2016, 06:17:36 am »
All in all, my main concern is that the expensive high-end scopes ending up wasted on someone who's never going to use them, or someone who's just gonna turn around and list them on eBay upon winning.

The problem, no matter how you look at this, there basically is no real easy way to ensure the scope goes to someone who "really needs it/can use it" etc.
I just don't see how it's really possible.

The Hashtag thing is bad idea because it means that anyone can enter and will almost certainly spam the system some how. At least on the forum people can bee weeded out based on their previous contribution.
And the thing about the forum is that those people have contributed to "the community". No offence intended to loyal Youtube follows/commenters, but it's a fairly safe thing to say that Youtube commenters overwhelmingly do not contribute to community discussions that are searchable like they are on the forum.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:19:35 am by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2016, 06:21:23 am »
As for not getting the viewers on Youtube, as someone who watches your videos on youtube I have to say that if someone cant even be asked to make a forum account and ask just a couple questions provide a couple comments, why should they get a $15k scope that is intended for members of that community?

My thoughts exactly.
And, somewhat selfishly, I have to get something out of this too, and that "something" can be enticing people to get involved in the forum.

Offline Al

« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2016, 06:29:46 am »

The problem, no matter how you look at this, there basically is no real easy way to ensure the scope goes to someone who "really needs it/can use it" etc.
I just don't see how it's really possible.

The Hashtag thing is bad idea because it means that anyone can enter and will almost certainly spam the system some how. At least on the forum people can bee weeded out based on their previous contribution.
And the thing about the forum is that those people have contributed to "the community". No offence intended to loyal Youtube follows/commenters, but it's a fairly safe thing to say that Youtube commenters overwhelmingly do not contribute to community discussions that are searchable like they are on the forum.

I see what you mean there, yeah I forgot that you can't track twitter followers to forum usernames. Maybe they can tweet their username at you? And once a winner is picked you can verify their forum username?

Yeah, I have no problem with a set of rules to be "considered" in a draw or, like I said above, even a raffle-style giveaway would be perfectly fine.

Offline tekbasse

• Contributor
    • linkedin profile
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2016, 06:39:22 am »

I see what you mean there, yeah I forgot that you can't track twitter followers to forum usernames. Maybe they can tweet their username at you? And once a winner is picked you can verify their forum username?
The forum profile has a place to put Twitter ID. So they can be linked..

Why apply an arbitrary qualification, such as requiring a degree or certificate?  Many smart people in electricity don't have a traditional education, are disadvantaged because of it, and in fact may be more in need of a tool like this.

And LOL about using forum posts as a qualifier.. Having already been accused of being a troll, It seems I could just be wasting time here. ;-)

Offline Al

« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2016, 06:56:32 am »

The forum profile has a place to put Twitter ID. So they can be linked..

Why apply an arbitrary qualification, such as requiring a degree or certificate?  Many smart people in electricity don't have a traditional education, are disadvantaged because of it, and in fact may be more in need of a tool like this.

And LOL about using forum posts as a qualifier.. Having already been accused of being a troll, It seems I could just be wasting time here. ;-)

I don't know, haha, I was just thinking of a method to not "waste" an expensive scope on someone who wouldn't otherwise know how to use it or utilize it. I understand the forum contribution qualifier completely, I just think it singles out a lot of Dave's followers and avid YT watchers. But I completely understand if the giveaway is geared towards contributors only.

That's why I'd lean towards a raffle-style giveaway. $1 buys you a ticket, plain and simple, then the money generated from the raffle can be given away to a charity or donated to Dave's lab!

Offline forrestc

• Supporter
« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2016, 06:59:51 am »
I hate suggesting this because it probably would ensure I wouldn't end up with one...

But,  I have seen giveaways like this done by the membership voting on the best submission describing the proposed use for the item being given away. 

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2016, 08:59:09 am »

Forgive me for imagine how much cost for winning...Price: 16K oscilloscope(price list)
In My country 25% Tax = $4K + shipping.. :palm:
Its not winning.. Its buy High End Oscilloscope with huge discount...
So how much your Taxes will hit you if your win???

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2016, 09:18:06 am »

Forgive me for imagine how much cost for winning...Price: 16K oscilloscope(price list)
In My country 25% Tax = $4K + shipping.. :palm:
Its not winning.. Its buy High End Oscilloscope with huge discount...
So how much your Taxes will hit you if your win???
~NZ$2300 with our 15% GST plus import processing costs.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline hayatepilot

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2016, 09:38:07 am »
A giveaway is essentially a lottery, so I assume the normal import taxes (vat, etc...) dont apply. (???)

Dave should consult an expert to ensure that the declaration for shipping is correct and he doesn't get any problems with the tax office...

Greetings

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2016, 09:54:32 am »
A giveaway is essentially a lottery, so I assume the normal import taxes (vat, etc...) dont apply. (???)

Dave should consult an expert to ensure that the declaration for shipping is correct and he doesn't get any problems with the tax office...

Greetings
It depend the country where you live.. Mine have 25% tax from gift/lottery/....

Offline hayatepilot

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #195 on: February 16, 2016, 10:10:54 am »
It depend the country where you live.. Mine have 25% tax from gift/lottery/....
My country has 35% on money prizes, but not on physical prizes. It would be very stupid if you would win a car and have to pay 1/3rd to get it.
But you would have to declare it as income for the tax filing.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #196 on: February 16, 2016, 10:58:43 am »

It will not involve twitter in any way.
You're either an active forum member or you aren't, just like previous giveaways.
The problem everyone seems to have is that the prize is "too good", and I share that concern, but I'm not sure what can be done about this.
Although Keysight don't really care who ends up with it or what they do with it, they perhaps might have an issue with me selling it and buying 10 Rigol's to give away!  ;D
Perhaps I should have just asked for money to do the promo video and bought 10 cheaper scopes myself  :-\
Actually, the country import tax thing might turn out to be real nightmare for the winner, and me, it's a real problem.

Offline tomy983

• Contributor
« Reply #197 on: February 16, 2016, 11:20:01 am »
Actually, the country import tax thing might turn out to be real nightmare for the winner, and me, it's a real problem.

Local pickup only. Intercontinental tickets are cheaper than import taxes. Put it in your carry on and visit Australia while you are at it!

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
« Reply #198 on: February 16, 2016, 11:39:43 am »
I wonder if the problem doesn't solve itself, in a way.

Once it's made clear that at the bottom line this is not a "free scope" but a "high-end scope at a low cost", the people who will still choose to enter the raffle are probably those who know what they are doing and will put this scope to good use.

Aussies won't have to pay huge import taxes, but they deserve a break, being upside down and all  :)
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #199 on: February 16, 2016, 11:50:49 am »

Aussies won't have to pay huge import taxes, but they deserve a break, being upside down and all  :)

Thank you for the acknowledgement.   :-+

Fact is, we've been copping the rough end of the pineapple on a whole range of products for decades.  I (and I'm sure many other Aussies) see some of the stuff available in the USA, especially second hand, and just sink in our chair.  We look at the local price tags and cringe.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf