Author Topic: BIG EEVblog Giveaway Coming Up  (Read 113598 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: BIG EEVblog Giveaway Coming Up
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2016, 10:33:15 am »
Dave, would you consider presenting one to a member the forum collectively considers has made an outstanding contribution over say the last two years?

That means everyone else misses out on a chance and it's no longer a giveaway or contest, so no point doing a video to promote it. Keysight are expecting a promo mention in return for this.
I've already promised one as a giveaway for Patreon supporters.

Offline eeadata

• Contributor
  • Tube - Germanium - Discrete . All about Past
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2016, 10:34:17 am »
Dave. i think there will be an effort to be in the giveaway contest.mikes 10 sec video is nice thought . this is not a 100 dollar multimeter contest.

btw you are free to do what you want.

Offline eeadata

• Contributor
  • Tube - Germanium - Discrete . All about Past
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2016, 10:39:37 am »
We are waiting to contrubute in this event then

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2016, 11:00:49 am »
If I understand this correctly that Keysight have generously donated a couple of very nice oscilloscopes then what is wrong with simply letting them get some well deserved publicity and a couple of lucky people a nice bit of kit. And the EEVBlog gets some benefit in terms of publicity and credit. The rest of us can be appreciative to Keysight for the generosity they have shown.
All people who think it is their prerogative to sit in judgement about who is and who is not deserving should pull their heads in.

Perhaps I should be a bit selfish in this and try and get some benefit too.
I don't need the publicity and credit, but some things that would be nice and are beneficial for example is more forum participation. And I've been meaning to set up an email newsletter, so maybe this is way to seed that (but could be spam entry abused obviously).

Offline XynxNet

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2016, 11:36:26 am »
If you want to include the youtube only crowd, how about getting to know your audience better.
The participants could post a short (2min) video. Who are they? How did they get into electronics? What's their electronic fokus? Quick show of their workbench and maybe a current project.
The winner is drawn from all participants.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2016, 11:43:23 am »
http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/Rules-Scope-Month-Giveaway-Jan26-2016.pdf
This promotion is limited to specific countries and is only open to entrants aged 18 years or older at the time of submission who are legal residents of, and physically located within Austria, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Poland, South Africa, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States (excluding Florida, New York, and Rhode Island), and Venezuela.
WTF?  :--

That does suck  :--

Impressive contest though:
Prize Description. There will be thirty-five prize winners. The prizes are:
? 31x InfiniiVision 3000T X-Series oscilloscopes (MSOX3104T) to be chosen daily
? 4x InfiniiVision 4000 X-Series oscilloscopes (MSOX4104A) to be chosen weekly

Although if they were halfway smart in marketing they would have done what Tektronix did with the MDO3000, just give one to every blogger.
Any mention on why some countries are included or excluded? Maybe it is to keep the local distributors happy.

Offline android

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2016, 11:54:46 am »
Ok, I'm allowed to mention it now because it's kinda live:
The giveaway is part of Keysight's:
http://www.scopemonth.com/

But...

http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/Rules-Scope-Month-Giveaway-Jan26-2016.pdf

This promotion is limited to specific countries and is only open to entrants aged 18 years or older at the time of submission who are legal residents of, and physically located within Austria, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Poland, South Africa, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States (excluding Florida, New York, and Rhode Island), and Venezuela.

Hmmm...they appear to have misspelt Australia.
Lecturer: "There is no language in which a double positive implies a negative."
Student:  "Yeah...right."

Offline navidrct

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2016, 12:24:55 pm »
Whatever u do , just don't forget me.I want it too ????

Sent from my HTC Desire 820ts using Tapatalk

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2016, 12:38:50 pm »
Dave you can ask people to share a picture or video of their projects or PCB Designs!
Just wanted to make sure you got me covered!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:50:21 pm by ali_asadzadeh »
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2016, 01:03:57 pm »
I check out the forum often, but I find commenting or thumbs up/down on Youtube harder now.
Why? My Panasonic zt60 plasma tv has a youtube app, and it is difficult to get to the thumbs, and impossible to comment.

Also I have been donating 2.00 USD a month for years on my Paypal account. Is that run by Patreon?
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2016, 01:16:32 pm »

Although if they were halfway smart in marketing they would have done what Tektronix did with the MDO3000, just give one to every blogger.
Any mention on why some countries are included or excluded? Maybe it is to keep the local distributors happy.

For that prize, it would be well worth taking a flight to an included country to collect!
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2016, 01:26:41 pm »

I wonder why I can select my country and see a message which says that I'm in. There are way more countries in the selection list too. When I participated to the trigger challenge in the past, IIRC Latvia wasn't included in the rules too. But they sent me a crappy screwdriver with LED. Also I received a mail from the local Keysight reseller guy whom I know (They sent him the info about me participating).

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2016, 01:34:20 pm »
For that prize, it would be well worth taking a flight to an included country to collect!

Not going to work: "who are legal residents of, and physically located within"
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2016, 01:47:35 pm »

Not going to work: "who are legal residents of, and physically located within"
Depends how hard they look.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline akc185

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2016, 01:54:42 pm »
India is in the list btw!!  :clap: :clap:
Electronic Engineer by destiny, Control System Engineer by Choice

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2016, 02:10:31 pm »
I just want to say good luck to who ever wins these nice items.
A big thanks to Dave for even making it possible. :-+
I never win nothing so no need in me participating. Very disappointed not winning the 1.5 bill loto here  :-DD So one less person everyone has to compete with.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2016, 03:31:48 pm »
Look for forum user with a minimum number of posts: 10, 100, whatever...

About "too much of a price" for beginners that will never use all the potential of the scope; it could be, but the "unqualified" winner always can sell the scope and buy "standard" items to fill his hobby lab.
There all many post here with "elitist" comments. It looks like there are second class forum members here. It could be that most of the forum members are not E.E.
Please, let superiority at home.
We are all "the same" here, forum users that help Dave selling paying adds space.

Offline MarkDennehy

• Contributor
    • Stochastic Geometry
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2016, 05:20:50 pm »
To be honest, I know I couldn't use the scope (it'd be an awesome shelf trophy and then I'd feel like a heel for not ever using the thing properly).
But why not donate it to a hackerspace? It's a bit pricey, but hey, if thirty or forty people could use it, maybe that's the best life to give it? And if it's got "Donated by the EEVBlog" engraved into it on the front panel somewhere, then there's long-lasting targeted advertising for the blog.
Or did keysight specify that that wasn't allowed?

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2016, 05:28:16 pm »
I think the excluded countries and regions have to do with them having physical presence in there, so it's probably tax related.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2016, 06:26:21 pm »
...or to do with the laws of certain countries in respect of gambling and lotteries. Chances are the lawyers have checked that it's OK to give stuff away to residents of the approved list of countries, and provided that list includes most of the places that actually buy Keysight scopes, then that's all they need to do.

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2016, 08:55:30 pm »
Why do they prohibit Florida?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Offline RobertoLG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2016, 09:37:54 pm »
yeah, looks like Brazil isn't worthy either...  :clap: ...

Offline Tandy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Darren Grant from Tandy, UK.
    • Tandy
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2016, 10:01:24 pm »
If it should go to the most worthy, or where it could potentially get the most use, then I might as well just donate it to the local hacker space?

Not such a bad idea, as much as any individual would like to be the winner of a hot scope, perhaps you could offer it to any not-for-profit group such as a hacker space or radio club etc. That way there is a potential that a number of people will get some use out of it and perhaps someone will make use of the advanced features instead of it just being used to troubleshoot an Arduino doh-dah. Get the hacker spaces to send in a postcard with a suggestion for an EEVblog video and you choose based on the idea you like most?
For more info on Tandy try these links Tandy History EEVBlog Thread & Official Tandy Website

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2016, 10:26:32 pm »
Ok, I'm allowed to mention it now because it's kinda live:
The giveaway is part of Keysight's:
http://www.scopemonth.com/

But...

Like they managed to include every country around us...

Dave, you might consider just picking an existing list, like the uRurer+uCurrent buyer's list, and use that for the draw. That would probably increase future sales?

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2016, 10:53:36 pm »

Perhaps I should be a bit selfish in this and try and get some benefit too.
I don't need the publicity and credit, but some things that would be nice and are beneficial for example is more forum participation. And I've been meaning to set up an email newsletter, so maybe this is way to seed that (but could be spam entry abused obviously).

The only reason you have the scope to give away is because you have an audience that Keysight wants to be promoted among.  You don't have that audience based on luck, but on hard work.  You absolutely should get some benefit out of this - nothing wrong with that at all.  Nothing wrong with heavily advertising that one giveaway is for existing Patreon/forum supporters too, get some more people signing up so they can participate in the next one.  I say existing not because I am one, but solely because otherwise people would sign up for a month, donate a dollar, then quit.  But if that suits you, then nothing wrong with doing that too.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf