Author Topic: BIG EEVblog Giveaway Coming Up  (Read 113595 times)

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Re: BIG EEVblog Giveaway Coming Up
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 04:09:17 am »
Dave, as above the value of the prize brings real problems with VAT, GST, duty and in some countries (American states) income tax for the winner.
It would the worthwhile pointing this out on the competition rules, along with the location the equipment is sourced from.
There every possibility the winner will have a large bill to pay, whey should consider before entering the competition.

I like the old form member technique. Picking a randomer from youtube may end up with a (ascii) dick head winning... :-)

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 04:10:38 am »
I suspect your generous donor would like some mileage out of his contribution.  The contest approach has appeal in that direction.  A random draw from whoever hears about this and mails a card in might not be as good.  A drawing among existing members (however qualified by # posts, duration or whatever) is probably the worst.

All that said, I probably wouldn't enter a contest.  I don't need the scope that badly, and the effort to reward ratio just isn't there unless there is almost no effort.  It seems likely that there will be several thousand entries (7000 members of this forum, an unknown number of uTubers, and whoever else finds out about the contest), so the chances of winning will be quite small.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 05:18:35 am »
I agree. Simple drawing with a minimum number of real posts - not too low, not too high (?100) to qualify.

Rules out everyone on Youtbue who isn't on the forum.
Is it not better?  You want to let the machine to find the best owner, no perfect way, but people that have certain number of postings tell something.  You can dig deeper but it shall too time consuming.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 05:25:52 am »
I agree. Simple drawing with a minimum number of real posts - not too low, not too high (?100) to qualify.

what's a youtuber-only (as in : not on the forum)  going to do with a scope ? watch youtube on it ?
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 05:28:18 am »
I think one of the principles involved here is to offer something to the whole community that supports Dave and the EEVblog.  While membership here does contribute to this, it is to a small degree and (as I understand it) the bulk of Dave's Youtube income comes from views from a far greater number of people.

As much as increasing the odds of winning isn't something I might find ecstatic - it is only fair.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:29:57 am by Brumby »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 05:34:59 am »

what's a youtuber-only (as in : not on the forum)  going to do with a scope ? watch youtube on it ?

Does that mean an analog scope? ;)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 05:36:56 am »

That's going to be a problem for many - no matter who wins the scope.  There will always be someone who will be frustrated that the winner doesn't use this feature or that function - or that a scope one tenth the price is more than adequate for their needs.

I would find it a tragic waste if the winner set it up next to his sound system to just display his speaker waveforms ... but trying to differentiate entrants on their intended use is just impractical.  Finding a simpler solution that has some correlation to interest (such as taking the time to send a postcard) would be better ... but no guarantee.  IMHO.

Offline android

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 05:54:16 am »
Perhaps the old "explain in 25 words or less why you would like to win this scope" would work? It would at least make an interesting forum thread (and maybe we could vote for a worthy winner somehow).
Lecturer: "There is no language in which a double positive implies a negative."
Student:  "Yeah...right."

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 06:09:22 am »
Perhaps the old "explain in 25 words or less why you would like to win this scope" would work? It would at least make an interesting forum thread (and maybe we could vote for a worthy winner somehow).

A couple of years ago my local chemist (a reasonably large one) had a competition like that - and I happened to speak to one of the staff involved in reviewing the entries.  It was not a fun time - and there were a number of staff involved.  I would not want Dave to suffer that sort of stress - even assuming he would have the time to do it.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 06:09:59 am »

I've had many people complain on previous contests that they only follow the blog on Youtube, or the blog site, or whatever, and don't like forums. But they are just as loyal a viewer and contributor to comments etc as anyone else. And it's a fair enough argument.
My previous contests though have somewhat selfishly been a bit of a ploy to get people to join the forum  ;D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 06:11:01 am »
BTW - Don't think I'm being a wet blanket here, folks.  If anything, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

In the end, this is Dave's call.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 06:12:15 am »
Errrr....  Hi Dave!    ;D

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 06:18:02 am »
Ok, I'm allowed to mention it now because it's kinda live:
The giveaway is part of Keysight's:
http://www.scopemonth.com/
Teaser will start there 8th Feb, and the huge giveaway happens all through March.
Those who don't win one of my two scopes will have no shortage of chances on the Keysight site.
I believe I'm getting two MSOX3104T (1GHz) scopes (with custom EEVBlog graphics), so they are super serious about this giveaway!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 06:19:27 am »
That is awesome!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 06:22:46 am »
I think one of the principles involved here is to offer something to the whole community that supports Dave and the EEVblog.  While membership here does contribute to this, it is to a small degree and (as I understand it) the bulk of Dave's Youtube income comes from views from a far greater number of people.

Excluding uCurrent sales, the bulk of my income comes from advertising on my blog site and this forum. Youtube income 2nd, Patreon & supporter subs 3rd, other PayPal donations 4th, and maybe T-shirts on par with PayPal donations.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 06:26:49 am »
That is awesome!

It is indeed.
They originally wanted me to promote it for free. I of course turned them down as there wasn't anything in it for me. And considering I don't do paid promotions, I bartered two scopes for my audience instead  ;D

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 06:28:21 am »
Randomly giving away a 15K scope is just a big marketing stunt.  It's not charity, and it's not about what the person is going to do with it.  It's like when Sparkfun gave away $200K of stuff in one day, $100 per person.  $200K in stuff was worth the exposure and getting people to make accounts and put things in their shopping cart.  The answer to how to run the 15K scope marketing stunt is whatever gives the most return on the expense. 
Based on that, I like the suggestion of forum users with 100+ legit posts.  That gives you more forum members and posts and at the same time converts the youtube lurkers into possible regular revenue generating forum posters.

If only more people knew what an oscilloscope was you could probably make more than $15K from views by saying how expensive it is and then smashing it, or lighting it on fire, or blending it in a chipper shredder or something in a youtube video like people do when new Apple stuff comes out.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2016, 06:28:50 am »
My apologies.  I was looking at a rather simplistic count of Youtube subscribers.  Obviously there's a lot more to it.

Nevertheless, Youtube and Facebook are obviously significant in the scheme of things.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2016, 06:30:12 am »
I really would like to win this!
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2016, 06:31:31 am »
... you could probably make more than $15K from views by saying how expensive it is and then smashing it, or lighting it on fire, or blending it in a chipper shredder or something in a youtube video like people do when new Apple stuff comes out.

I understand what you're saying, but I couldn't watch something like that happen to a Keysight scope like that.

Cringe just doesn't come close....

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2016, 06:32:09 am »
Nevertheless, Youtube and Facebook are obviously significant in the scheme of things.

Facebook is insignificant. I do auto-post my videos there but don't interact. I hate Facebook.
Sorry to all Facebook viewers, but the giveaway certainly won't be on there.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2016, 06:32:23 am »
That is awesome!

It is indeed.
They originally wanted me to promote it for free. I of course turned them down as there wasn't anything in it for me. And considering I don't do paid promotions, I bartered two scopes for my audience instead  ;D

:-+

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2016, 06:33:15 am »
I think for a real contest, you should have to do something.

Design a circuit, that does...

You got 4 weeks to send Kicad files and sources (if mcu is used).

Maybe with different categories. Pure analog, mcu (no arduino libs) and arduino.

Like the current 10-liner basic contest from Bunsen, or so.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2016, 06:34:01 am »

Facebook is insignificant. I do auto-post my videos there but don't interact. I hate Facebook.
Sorry to all Facebook viewers, but the giveaway certainly won't be on there.

Think I'll just shut up about all that stuff.

I'd just like a shot at the prize.............

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2016, 06:38:31 am »
Randomly giving away a 15K scope is just a big marketing stunt.  It's not charity, and it's not about what the person is going to do with it.  It's like when Sparkfun gave away $200K of stuff in one day, $100 per person.  $200K in stuff was worth the exposure and getting people to make accounts and put things in their shopping cart.  The answer to how to run the 15K scope marketing stunt is whatever gives the most return on the expense. 
Based on that, I like the suggestion of forum users with 100+ legit posts.  That gives you more forum members and posts and at the same time converts the youtube lurkers into possible regular revenue generating forum posters.

The argument couldn't certainly be made that it should be active forum users only because those people are contributing to the community discussions.
If I included Youtuber commenters then there is no easy way (if at all?) to see if that user actively contributes to community discussion on my Youtube videos.
In fact, the odds are likely in favour of an anonymous Youtuber commenter would win given the numbers.
If I do chose forum-only then I will have to pre-announce now to give new people time to join and contribute if they want to enter.
Last time I did this there was a big stink though about a huge spike in people joining and useless posts just to get their post count up.

If only more people knew what an oscilloscope was you could probably make more than $15K from views by saying how expensive it is and then smashing it, or lighting it on fire, or blending it in a chipper shredder or something in a youtube video like people do when new Apple stuff comes out.

Would take at least 3M views to get $15k out of one video!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf