Author Topic: BIG EEVblog Giveaway Coming Up  (Read 113583 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: BIG EEVblog Giveaway Coming Up
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2016, 02:08:19 am »
FWIW I don't think the competition should be fair!

You should give the stuff away to the most deserving causes.   A person who already has 20 scopes and a room full of test gear doesn't deserve it, they have enough junk already...
Spare a thought for anybody with 20 scopes that won this prize.....wouldn't they put their now surplus scopes on eBay and keep the 1G one? Wouldn't you?
There's 20 sopes on the market that didn't have to fund the new one and hopefully the asking price reflects that.  :-+
Everybody wins.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2016, 02:08:39 am »
The one thing we enjoy in Australia is the absence of any taxes on what is described as a 'windfall'.

A $15,000 Keysight scope, a car or even $50 million on a lottery win ... and the government takes nothing.  Mind you, put that $50 million in an investment and they'll be hot on your heels for tax on any income generated as well as capital gains tax.

We do have to face import taxes - and I would hope that being in Australia, I'd be collecting the prize (wishful thinking) in person from an Aussie dealer - otherwise this becomes a liability for me too.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2016, 02:10:58 am »
Spare a thought for anybody with 20 scopes that won this prize.....wouldn't they put their now surplus scopes on eBay ....?

I would think not - and my reasoning rests on why they accumulated 20 scopes in the first place.........

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2016, 02:34:38 am »
Spare a thought for anybody with 20 scopes that won this prize.....wouldn't they put their now surplus scopes on eBay ....?

I would think not - and my reasoning rests on why they accumulated 20 scopes in the first place.........

Hi

One small comment ...

One of the reasons for having a lot of scopes is the nonsense involved in shipping one and having a chance of it arriving intact.

Take a scope to your local pack and ship. You get a question like "do you think it needs a layer of bubble wrap or not? It fits real tight in our biggest box ...it's not going anywhere". Yes you can guess what the scope looks like on the other end when packed with absolutely no protection at all. It's also hilarious to listen to the insurance guy tell you how it is not covered due to "bad packing" ... odd that their own pack outfit packed it that way.

So now try to do it yourself. First you need a REALY big box with sturdy construction. The average wine and beer boxes lying all over the floor will not cut it. Once you find a source for those, order up a minimum quantity (they will not sell you just one). Now you have the box and you try to wrap things up with bubble wrap. Ship it off. Wait a bit. In comes an email about this or that corner getting pronged in shipping. Grrrrr .....

Off to do some more shopping. Foam in place seems like a good thing. Try some of the little bags .. not so much. Off to get a full blown foam in place machine (yikes !!!). So over to the yellow pages we go. Start calling around looking for somebody with a machine. Yup, found one. It's only a 2 hour drive over and back.

Yes it goes on like this for a while.
===========================

If one *won* a scope then you might have a box that one could be shipped in. Of course it would need to be a big / fancy /heavy scope for the box to be useful. That's ok ... :)

Bob (The guy with the poor aching back ...)

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2016, 02:39:18 am »
That's probably a much better reason for not putting them on eBay.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2016, 11:37:42 am »
here it would be about 60% in taxes, soooo no thank you...

Hi

Where I live, it would be a lot more today than it was ... errr ... 50+ years ago ...

Bob

yeah I know...it pretty much sux over here...

Sorry Roberto, I know exactly why you feel that way. I did warn you though you would be paying, but I really did not think you would have to pay so much for that.

I di end up paying almost half the cost as duties here though, so you are not alone, the taxman always wants a cut.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2016, 02:05:36 pm »
I would expect that Keysight would take responsibility for any costs of importing the scope to their local office.  I don't know if any countries tax gifts in kind, as opposed to money prizes, but mine doesn't!
+1
Unless they do, it's not a prize they offer but a liability.  :wtf:

I don't think they would be that generous. In their own contest/giveaway that was posted in another thread the rules explicitly state that the winner is responsible for any import duties, taxes, etc.

So it could be a real issue when you are suddenly liable for a few hundreds/thousands bucks on such a gift.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2016, 03:04:57 pm »
For anyone in the UK wondering about tax implications, I'm in the UK and have only ever won one significant competition prize - a 3D printer worth about £1000 from Instructables. There's no direct liability on prizes in the UK but I did have to pay 20% VAT, etc. just as if I'd bought it. I wasn't given an option to have it sent from a UK retailer or anything like that. Made me glad I didn't win the £40,000 first prize!

I'll be entering, but I suggest that anyone who does considers it to be "80% off" (or however it works out for you) rather than free. If you wouldn't make use of it, would sell it or already have something similar - just do the right thing and don't enter.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2016, 03:15:59 pm »
For me that would work out at around $5k, pretty high price to pay up front.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2016, 03:56:25 pm »
So now try to do it yourself. First you need a REALY big box with sturdy construction. The average wine and beer boxes lying all over the floor will not cut it. Once you find a source for those, order up a minimum quantity (they will not sell you just one). Now you have the box and you try to wrap things up with bubble wrap. Ship it off. Wait a bit. In comes an email about this or that corner getting pronged in shipping. Grrrrr .....

I recommend removalist cartons, they are double layered corrugated cardboard and close on indestructible. My post office haven't managed to destroy one yet.
Easily obtainable cheaply, even if you only need one.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2016, 05:09:43 pm »

I recommend removalist cartons, they are double layered corrugated cardboard and close on indestructible. My post office haven't managed to destroy one yet.
Easily obtainable cheaply, even if you only need one.

Hi

Ok so now we have a "two countries separated by a common language" issue. :)

From what I can see on Google "removalist carton" = "moving box".

The ones that they sell over here (at least the ones I have bought) are mighty flimsy. The great big ones are pretty sturdy and are priced to match. They are the ones I was referring to in the "minimum order" part of the story. They want to sell you more than one at a them when they ship them to you. Can't find a store that sells them. The ones the local moving companies have for sale on the floor are crap.

... or did I get the translation wrong :) ?

Bob

Offline Aodhan145

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2016, 05:21:18 pm »
But, as I say, in the UK there is no tax on prizes or gifts, or indeed on lottery winnings.   There are taxes on some gambling, but I think they are mainly paid by the operators of the scheme.
So if Keysight copes with import duties and taxes (as they no doubt would if they were giving a prize here)   we would have no tax problems at all.

Only gifts under the value of £36 are not taxed on import in the UK. So it would be taxed.

Offline RobertoLG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2016, 10:01:20 pm »
here it would be about 60% in taxes, soooo no thank you...

Hi

Where I live, it would be a lot more today than it was ... errr ... 50+ years ago ...

Bob

yeah I know...it pretty much sux over here...

Sorry Roberto, I know exactly why you feel that way. I did warn you though you would be paying, but I really did not think you would have to pay so much for that.

I di end up paying almost half the cost as duties here though, so you are not alone, the taxman always wants a cut.

hey Sean, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about that, I paid much less than a half arsed multimeter would cost here, and I'm very gratefull really :)

but a scope at that price would be to much for me "if" I won it, and if I can't keep it I would prefer somebody else get it to use and enjoy it.

oh and if the others are curious what it was, I got a Digitek DT-2843R  multimeter from Sean :)

Offline lpc32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2016, 05:47:49 am »
In accordance with local laws, if the selected entrant is a Canadian or South African resident,  that entrant will  be  required  to  answer  a  mathematical  skill testing  question,  without assistance  of  any  kind  (whether  mechanical  or  otherwise),  within  the  time  frame  provided  above.

:wtf:
I wonder what sort of "mechanical" something can help with math skill testing. An abacus?

13M Views... BAM!
<youtube link>
Sad. >600 million views and 3.5 million subscribers for wrecking electronics.

A couple of years ago my local chemist (a reasonably large one) had a competition like that
Chemist?

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2016, 06:21:11 am »
Why not use gleam.io like many other Youtubers?
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2016, 06:27:39 am »
I applaud your well considered desire to reduce the judging scheme. One would *never* want to overwork the judges. I would only propose one or two *minor* adjustments  ... (as in hold on to your wallet ....).

Those who already have many scopes are (obviously  8)) the most experienced in their care and feeding. Rather than a messy public debate over who gets what (which would only lead to acrimony between members), simply send all the entries to me and I'll let you know who won  :) :)

I'm only thinking of making things easier of course.

Bob (soon to have "address unknown" as his forwarding address ...)

Speaking of distributed voting schemes where the judges and entrants are one and the same -- it's an interesting problem:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:36:48 am by rs20 »

Offline Arlen Moulton2

• Regular Contributor
  • I cause mayhem
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2016, 08:07:36 am »
I think you should consider entries from all of the sites because not everybody uses the forum or has a YouTube channel or Facebook account.

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2016, 08:38:01 am »
My suggestion:
1. Pick Randomly on active member (fair)
2. The winner have to go to Dave Lab and interviewed (Effort is important)
3. If the winner didn't have money to buy ticket, he/she will not able to pay the tax. So pick another one

Offline ion

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2016, 09:02:13 am »
Surely if the winner is in the EU wouldn't Keysight ship the scope from a European office?

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2016, 09:18:41 am »
When I bought a scope from the 'agilentused' Ebay site, it shipped direct from the factory in Malaysia, with all duties and taxes already paid (by me, of course).

2. The winner have to go to Dave Lab and interviewed (Effort is important)
3. If the winner didn't have money to buy ticket, he/she will not able to pay the tax. So pick another one

Just a little unfair on the majority of readers who aren't in Australia...? We do have video conferencing here in Europe!

Offline tekbasse

• Contributor
    • linkedin profile
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2016, 02:00:53 pm »
For exposure reasons, how about creating two meaningful twitter hashtags ..to make it trend.

To enter giveaway,

1. post a suggestion for who to give it to (reference a url or twitter account etc)  with hashtag #givekeysight   (Entries referring to self (the account that posts) disqualify.

and/or

2. post a tagline on why you treasure keysight with tag #keysight4life  These posts are for entering self. Counts as 2 entries if you repeat message in an image of yourself with legible message (think cause based messages).  Multiple nonrepeating entries okay.

Then, giving it is a matter of copying a list, using a random number generator to pick an entry to vet, repeat as needed.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2016, 02:05:54 pm »
What if you don't go anywhere near Twitter?

Offline collingtech

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2016, 02:10:55 pm »
omg , i already have the space for the scope on my desk , lets go shall we :0)

Offline GamerAndds

• Regular Contributor
  • We always learn, its our nature.
    • 2000 watt amp
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2016, 02:12:56 pm »
The one bad thing with giveaways is that one person is happy (2 in this case) and from the rest, half form an angy mob and the other half accept it... I hope ill be in the number one spot- but i know illl be in the half that accepts it....

Offline tekbasse

• Contributor
    • linkedin profile
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2016, 02:14:11 pm »
What if you don't go anywhere near Twitter?
You won't do it for a chance at getting it or giving it to a place or person you think should have it?

The exposure for Keysight may just guarantee more of these in the future...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf