Author Topic: BIG EEVblog Giveaway Coming Up  (Read 113582 times)

Offline broz

• Regular Contributor
  • Pronounced like the "bros." in "Super Mario bros."
    • My Wordpress Page
Re: BIG EEVblog Giveaway Coming Up
« Reply #225 on: February 18, 2016, 03:14:15 am »
I'm not going to quote anyone because there are too many duplicate responses to quote. Not word for word but in attitude? I think anyone judging someone else as not being worthy of, or incapable of, using an expensive piece of test equipment like this is kind of snobbish and displays an elitist mentality. Maybe you are right. A newbie that wins a beautiful machine may very well just let it collect dust because they have no idea how to make use of the advanced features of said piece of equipment. For me, I would hope that if I did not win it, the one that does will maybe ask questions about how to use those advanced features so that I might actually get a chance to share the little bit of knowledge I have to share at this point in time. With time and someone willing to help by sharing knowledge, anyone can learn to use a 15k scope just like anyone else here has learned to use one. Would I love to have something like this? Absofreakinlutely! Can I use it correctly right now? Absofreakinlutely NOT. But I would damn sure try to learn how. I love to learn and if and when I run into something I do not know or understand, it will grate at my nerves until I figure it out. I was told a very long time ago by an engineer that I became good friends with, "Never assume anything. When you assume you make an ASS of U and ME". No I'm not real old but in my 46+ years I have come to realize that this is one of the truest statements ever made!
Well said!!
Slowly but surely making my way through EE school

Offline elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
  • Everything has user-salvageable parts inside!!!!
« Reply #226 on: February 18, 2016, 03:42:31 am »
I'm not going to quote anyone because there are too many duplicate responses to quote. Not word for word but in attitude? I think anyone judging someone else as not being worthy of, or incapable of, using an expensive piece of test equipment like this is kind of snobbish and displays an elitist mentality. Maybe you are right. A newbie that wins a beautiful machine may very well just let it collect dust because they have no idea how to make use of the advanced features of said piece of equipment. For me, I would hope that if I did not win it, the one that does will maybe ask questions about how to use those advanced features so that I might actually get a chance to share the little bit of knowledge I have to share at this point in time. With time and someone willing to help by sharing knowledge, anyone can learn to use a 15k scope just like anyone else here has learned to use one. Would I love to have something like this? Absofreakinlutely! Can I use it correctly right now? Absofreakinlutely NOT. But I would damn sure try to learn how. I love to learn and if and when I run into something I do not know or understand, it will grate at my nerves until I figure it out. I was told a very long time ago by an engineer that I became good friends with, "Never assume anything. When you assume you make an ASS of U and ME". No I'm not real old but in my 46+ years I have come to realize that this is one of the truest statements ever made!

:-+...
Always learn how to break and fix things electronics!

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #227 on: February 18, 2016, 04:21:45 am »

Well......I assume you are right.  :-DD
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline cidcorp

• Supporter
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2016, 03:19:07 pm »
Sadly I ASSme all the time.  But I am pretty much an ass so I expect it  :-\.

Like most who have low post counts, we want there to be no minimum - Those who have high post counts want there to be a high minimum.
Personally I just want someone who will actually use it to get it.  Maybe the person who wins the giveaway can give their current scope to someone
on the forum who has very little equipment (struggling student?) at Dave's discretion.  That way the love gets distributed around the EEVBlog  :o

Dave should toss 1 or two of those multimeters (from last post) into the giveaway assuming (oops) he has one or two as comps from the Manufacturer.

Chris

Offline teamSMITHusa

• Contributor
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2016, 11:38:22 pm »
How do I enter the giveaway?
I have no problem paying taxes, but in the United States, I don't think there is any.
I don't mind paying shipping either.

:-+

Offline selkathguy

• Supporter
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2016, 03:31:02 am »
Like most who have low post counts, we want there to be no minimum - Those who have high post counts want there to be a high minimum.
I think the minimum is in the single digits, so you would have to have just made the account to not qualify.  It's only to root out automated accounts and people gaming the system, not to cater to the most active forum members.  :-+

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2016, 08:25:24 am »
I think the minimum is in the single digits, so you would have to have just made the account to not qualify.  It's only to root out automated accounts and people gaming the system, not to cater to the most active forum members.  :-+

The only thing I've said so far is you have to be an active member. What that active means, I don't know yet, but the winner will be checked live on air. And yeah, single digit posts likely won't cut the mustard. Nor will a few dozen one liners to get your numbers up.

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2016, 09:01:21 am »
If someone winning but didn't have money to pay tax, it will be great if the winner could give the price to the second(alternative) winner with small compensation. (e.g the second winner will have to send $xxx prices to the original winner).
Pros:
1. More people will enter the giveaway
2. The winner will not worry about necessary money to pay the tax
3. There be more chance the right people will get the scope (one who needed it and have a spare money)
Cons:
1. Maybe it will be to much hassle
2. Dave will have to draw/ decide second/third/... winner

IMHO, better end with cheap Hantek USB scope, than half year salary gone....(yes..$4K is more than 6 month salary for me  :-\ [size=78%] )[/size]
And if anybody say the winner could just sell the scope, remember not every country are the same.. it not so easy to sell $16K scope. At least in here.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2016, 08:20:30 pm »
I am in critical business need of a new scope and just happen to be most likely to buy a 4000 or 6000 Keysight 1Ghz. REALLY hoping to get a break on this, otherwise, financing is my only option.

Fingers crossed, it's fun to dream a little.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #234 on: February 21, 2016, 08:51:36 pm »
Instead of giving away a "pricey" scope without an assurance if the winner is worthy or not, why not ask Keysight for 3 different class of scopes to be given away for each category.

I just listened to this weeks AmpHour podcast and apparently the scopes have already been shipped.

It seems like there is consensus that for almost everyone a 1 GHz scope is overkill.  So here's an idea:  Maybe Dave should ask that those entering the contest who cannot justify regular need of that bandwidth, agree to sell the scope and replace it with a number of lesser scopes - keeping one and giving away the others to the next contestant(s) drawn from the list. This would be unenforcable of course...other than by forum shunning of anyone who renegs on their promise.

I for one would be willing to do that if I was lucky enough to win.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2016, 09:11:59 pm »
That is like asking a stranger to give away money that is rightfully theirs.

If I won a Ford Mustang, I would instantly sell it and keep the cash. I don't need or want that car. Why would anyone be compelled to give the cash value away?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:13:50 pm by rx8pilot »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2016, 09:39:55 pm »
That is like asking a stranger to give away money that is rightfully theirs.

If I won a Ford Mustang, I would instantly sell it and keep the cash. I don't need or want that car. Why would anyone be compelled to give the cash value away?

It was just an idea for Dave to consider since on the AmpHour he expressed frustration about having to give away 1GHz scopes.  Of course Dave can choose to do things however he wants (and I don't expect he'd do this) and no one would be compelling anyone.

Besides - it sounds like from your earlier post you're one of the few who could justify use of a 1GHz scope. :-+

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2016, 10:03:49 pm »
It was just an idea for Dave to consider since on the AmpHour he expressed frustration about having to give away 1GHz scopes.  Of course Dave can choose to do things however he wants (and I don't expect he'd do this) and no one would be compelling anyone.

Besides - it sounds like from your earlier post you're one of the few who could justify use of a 1GHz scope. :-+

I understand the potential for frustration that is not too different from Bill Gates winning the lottery. That is a extra level of disappointment that I did not win. the origin of the prize is of course Keysight. Their cost is relatively low and the incremental cost from a low bandwidth to a high bandwidth scope is definitely small. If the winner is indeed a sharp engineer that will use it on tough projects - they would never want that person to push it off the the side or sell it because it's too low bandwidth - they want it to be used and talked about in the context of a high-ish-end application which is where $16k scopes are used. If it gets sold because the winner only needs a Rigol DS1054 for tinkering one a month - someone will still get the scope at probably a good price and become a member and fan of the Keysight family.

The cost of the giveaway on the Keysight books is in the noise floor. As an 'audience' member to the contest, I would love to see it go to good use. In reality, I wont care or follow up if I don't win it myself though.

Offline selkathguy

• Supporter
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2016, 10:11:27 pm »
Responding to people saying the scope is "overkill" or otherwise too good:

Alright at this point I have to say, I really don't think 1Ghz scope is overkill.  Especially for any hobbyist who is serious about the hobby and wants to generate real products to bring to market.  I can imagine they said the same thing not too long ago about a 20mhz scope.  A higher frequency range is also required to get a better idea of what's actually happening in your higher speed designs without the scope frontend affecting the edges you see.  I mean jeez FPGA dev/demo boards are affordable for individuals and people like me are able to make higher and higher speed prototypes.  What if someone comes up with a framework similar to arduino but for higher performance applications?  It's not inconceivable and many (I can't be the only one) serious hobbyists are already working above 50Mhz.  Also the extra features on the scope could inspire a learner to look up what they are useful for and to discover the wonderful and challenging depth of electrical engineering.

I'm excited and I hope to get one!  But if I don't I won't form a mob.  Management of expectations I suppose.

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2016, 10:54:20 pm »
It's not inconceivable and many (I can't be the only one) serious hobbyists are already working above 50Mhz

I mucked around for a short time at 1,575.42 MHz (active antenna for GPS), and have been pushing bits at 2.7Gb/s (for DisplayPort), both out of range.

A 1GHz scope would have been helpful looking for PCB issues with a SDRAM controller I had running at 100 MHz, but it is too slow for looking at some of the high speed digital signals I sometimes play with. The only affordable option for me seems to be debugging from within the design (e.g. trace buffers and virtual logic analyzers, and then looking at what is going on off-chip by inference).

The other issue is that for high speed work you have to engineer the PCB to give you high quality test points - it is not like I can probe pins on a BGA part, and 0.5mm pitch (and smaller) are soooo tiny for my bumbling hands to reliably (and safely) probe, even if I can get the probe's tip to them.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2016, 10:55:09 pm »
If it goes up on eBay, someone gets some cash and the buyer gets a sweet scope.

And BTW, it will be obvious if it goes up on ebay, it will have my face on the front!  ;D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #241 on: February 21, 2016, 10:58:03 pm »
Responding to people saying the scope is "overkill" or otherwise too good:

A higher frequency range is also required to get a better idea of what's actually happening in your higher speed designs without the scope frontend affecting the edges you see.

It would seem someone less experienced with working at higher frequencies might actually find better value in such a scope for this very reason.  Not having to be as aware of the effects of limited bandwidth, they will not have to adjust their thinking as much.  Direct reading of the scope will be more accurate - until (if) they get into higher and higher frequencies.

Offline selkathguy

• Supporter
« Reply #242 on: February 21, 2016, 11:06:04 pm »
And BTW, it will be obvious if it goes up on ebay, it will have my face on the front!  ;D
Just on the splash screen or is it branded with your logo on the actual print?  That's pretty neat either way.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2016, 12:23:31 am »
Just on the splash screen or is it branded with your logo on the actual print?  That's pretty neat either way.

Both!

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: February 22, 2016, 01:54:17 am »
If it goes up on eBay, someone gets some cash and the buyer gets a sweet scope.

Collectors edition! BTW, I will come to to pick it up in person. I have some customers there and can easily justify the trip.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #245 on: February 22, 2016, 05:32:20 am »

Both!

:-+

Offline romantronixlab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #246 on: February 24, 2016, 01:42:28 am »
Coool A giveaway, it will be fun to see who takes a nice good looking piece of equipment.
Will think about it.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #247 on: February 24, 2016, 02:47:23 am »
I will promise you - I will take lots of nice pictures of it .....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2016, 02:48:28 am »
What ..... Huh?    - yawn -  Oh, was I dreaming again?

Offline broz

• Regular Contributor
  • Pronounced like the "bros." in "Super Mario bros."
    • My Wordpress Page
« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2016, 05:59:08 pm »

Both!

Does this also mean it will be an autographed item?  :-+
Slowly but surely making my way through EE school

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf