Author Topic: Digi-Key Engineer's Week Contest, 125 Hakko Irons  (Read 10190 times)

Offline bombledmonkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Digi-Key Engineer's Week Contest, 125 Hakko Irons
« on: February 17, 2017, 03:06:51 pm »
It looks like it starts Monday Feb 20th with 25 FX888s per day.  There's also a grand prize of an "InstaLab"  which includes an oscilloscope, fluke meter, power supply signal generator and a bunch of other tools in a nice hard-side case.
http://www.digikey.com/en/resources/social/engineers-week-word-jumble?WT.z_vanity=beng

The following users thanked this post: evb149, blueskull

Offline TNb

• Regular Contributor
Re: Digi-Key Engineer's Week Contest, 125 Hakko Irons
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:56:05 am »
Weird, its middle of 20th of February already in Europe and morning in USA, but the website still not updated... are puzzles gonna be on the same page or do I miss something?

Offline Avacee

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 12:26:13 pm »
Digi-Key US office are in Minnesota - which is 6 hours behind London - It's only 6:26am there at the time I write this.
They'll probably press the metaphorical start button after getting to the office ...

Though that hasn't stopped me mashing refresh on that contest page :) :)

Edit: Live now but Rule #2 = ELIGIBILITY: Awards are open to residents of the continental United States.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:28:36 pm by Avacee »

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 02:22:37 pm »
Cracked it .. but OZ is ineligable :-(
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline TNb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 02:43:22 pm »
Damn, it is only for US? bummer! It is funny that they restrict it to continental US, so Hawaii or Virgin Islands are left off. I guess we will soon see the contest that says "Only for people living in Columbus, Ohio".

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 02:56:54 pm »
Damn, it is only for US? bummer! It is funny that they restrict it to continental US, so Hawaii or Virgin Islands are left off. I guess we will soon see the contest that says "Only for people living in Columbus, Ohio".
You know, america first!
But the Netherlands, second.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:26:49 pm »
There are legal issues (Look keysight scopemonth). Also, unlike oscilloscopes, there are 110V soldering stations for US and few other countries and 220-240V for the rest of the world.

Offline TNb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 05:13:41 pm »
There are legal issues (Look keysight scopemonth). Also, unlike oscilloscopes, there are 110V soldering stations for US and few other countries and 220-240V for the rest of the world.
Yeah, I read about Keysight legal issues, what surprises me is that they have completely different legal issues, I mean - keysight excluded Florida, New York and Rhode Island, but Digikey doesn't, even though both campaigns look very similar(maybe it is just on the surface, idk). Anyway good luck to all US citizens who participate in contest, neat stuff for a grand prize ;)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 05:13:46 am »
You know, america first!
But the Netherlands, second.

I saw that!  :-DD

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 08:16:30 pm »
Yeah, I read about Keysight legal issues, what surprises me is that they have completely different legal issues, I mean - keysight excluded Florida, New York and Rhode Island, but Digikey doesn't, even though both campaigns look very similar(maybe it is just on the surface, idk). Anyway good luck to all US citizens who participate in contest, neat stuff for a grand prize ;)

My guess would be that this is considered a "contest" and not a "sweepstakes," so things change there legally. The total combined prize value is also much lower, so that can change things as well. Good luck to everyone!

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 03:39:39 pm »
I just got an email from UPS about an order coming from Digikey that I did not place...

UPS claims the package weighs 6.6lbs.

Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 04:08:10 pm »
What was the answer to the yesterdays jumble about when you rectify your problem, the diode....? The contest page is no help like on previous days; it just says its over.

Offline Kennylxix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 06:47:08 am »
Interesting. I have one coming as well. 6.6lbs. Maybe we won!?  Itll be here tomorrow.

Offline Kennylxix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 06:49:28 am »
The answer to the diode one was "anode-r happy customer"

The following users thanked this post: Nusa

Offline Kennylxix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 06:50:48 am »
Ill be annoyed if its just some giant catalog that they sent to everyone.

Offline S13

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 03:02:16 pm »
So i ignored this contest because of US only, but it now perhaps seems other countries could have been eligible as well?

Offline Kennylxix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 08:41:24 pm »
Well guys mine is a brand new fx-888d!  So anyone who has a package coming shoukd be a winner:)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 01:51:17 am »
Well I haven't gotten any notifications so I'm pretty sure I didn't win but that comes as no surprise, I never win anything. Pretty cool that some people here did win one, I had fun solving the puzzles even though I rolled my eyes at most of the answers.

Offline S13

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 08:02:48 am »
So i ignored this contest because of US only, but it now perhaps seems other countries could have been eligible as well?

I live in US.

Ah, i was confused by the China flag in your avatar. Sorry for that.

Offline Jono427

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 02:51:40 pm »
I found the contest from the Digi-key email (new to posting here, have been lurking forever) but I ended up getting one yesterday.  Was planning an order from them soon so when it showed up I was confused for a min.  "Wait I didn't order anything yet.... wait did I? No I don't think so...oh wait did I win?!?"  Super excited about this!  Finally moved to a new place and have some room in the basement to actually put together a space to work on stuff and learn.  Still need lots of things but this helps.  Just ordered a replacement DMM (EEVblog Brymen BM235 and Keysight u1252b) to replace my Craftsman one from 10 years ago :|

Offline S13

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 03:01:37 pm »
Congratulations to all!  :-+
Seems there are lots of winners on this forum :)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 05:00:27 pm »
Holy crap!  I just got an email notification from UPS that a package is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. 6.6 lbs from Thief River Falls, MN.   Looks like I won one of these.  I never win anything. Damn, I guess this means I definitely won't win a Keysight scope... >:(  :-[ ;D

Offline Jono427

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 05:03:17 pm »
Holy crap!  I just got an email notification from UPS that a package is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. 6.6 lbs from Thief River Falls, MN.   Looks like I won one of these.  I never win anything. Damn, I guess this means I definitely won't win a Keysight scope... >:(  :-[ ;D

Exact same for me - never win things, and I was really wanting a scope, guess I'll have to wait and see.  Still watching for more to compare them.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 05:12:08 pm »
Given how many winners there are on this forum, it makes me think they must not have had a very large number of entries.  I don't think they advertised this contest much. I get regular Digikey mailings and emails but only heard about it from this thread.   Kudos to the OP for posting it.!

Or maybe few could be bothered to do the puzzle. I suck at anagrams but fortunately know how to use tools. That's what engineers do, right?  :)

Offline Jono427

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 05:49:18 pm »
Given how many winners there are on this forum, it makes me think they must not have had a very large number of entries.  I don't think they advertised this contest much. I get regular Digikey mailings and emails but only heard about it from this thread.   Kudos to the OP for posting it.!

Or maybe few could be bothered to do the puzzle. I suck at anagrams but fortunately know how to use tools. That's what engineers do, right?  :)

It was in one of the emails I got, but it came on the 21st (the event started on the 20th) and was at the bottom of the new product email.  I barely caught it, for some reason that day I looked through the whole email.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf