General > Contests & Events

Dunstable Downs electronics bootsale (Luton.UK) May 22nd

<< < (12/13) > >>

Zenith:

--- Quote from: Squarewave on July 24, 2022, 07:22:33 pm ---I loved the Harwell Rally, shame they've not done it for a while. I remember the one in 2018 I bought a vintage Advance pulse generator for £5, some great big modular thing. I stored it back then and have never seen it since. Maybe one day I'll do something with it.

--- End quote ---

I liked Harwell. It was early in the year and it was perishing cold. I never bought anything significant there, but it was enjoyable.

There was one in Worcester where I bought an RA17 for £27, and there was another good one in Wythenshawe? (South of Birmingham). I never thought much of Drayton Manor Park, which was huge.

Squarewave:
The last Harwell I went to, was the 2020 one which was the last one they had, the wind was howling, attendance was at an all time low, we wasn't sure if it was a combination of the horrendous wind and the other issue coming up at that time. Hopefully we'll see it back, but with two years absence, the hall might well have other ideas.

tggzzz:

--- Quote from: bd139 on July 24, 2022, 07:10:02 pm ---I tend to drag one or both of the eldest two kids with me now as they can carry stuff and it only costs me a McDonalds breakfast or lunch for the services. Although sitting there in Andover McDonalds with a cold McPlant after Newbury was an all time low. It reminded me never to move out of the city...

--- End quote ---

It was nice to meet your sproglet at Newbury; she seems a good person :)

If I had know she was so easily satisfied, I'd have tried to raise her expectations  >:D  Yup, I'm a troublemaker, and have a tendency to explicitly point that out.

One time I chose not to point that out involved some Brethren preaching on a city street corner. I talked about the Bible and related some of its teachings to the kid's experiences. Eventually the adults, um, grown ups, um, supervisors became worried they were listening to me and, gasp, thinking - and huddled the kids away for re-indoctrination. Most satisfactory; I like to think I saved some people that day.

bd139:
Causing trouble is appreciated on that level at least. That was purely for sustenance based on the uninteresting selection of stuff that was found on Tripadvisor in Andover. We weighed up going to Ivy Cafe in Richmond but I don’t think either of us would have made it there alive  :-DD

Have had similar run ins with the local JW. They stopped knocking after I gave the associated child soldier my copy of The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Fingers crossed you did indeed at least kick off some introspection.

tggzzz:

--- Quote from: bd139 on July 25, 2022, 06:46:11 am ---Causing trouble is appreciated on that level at least. That was purely for sustenance based on the uninteresting selection of stuff that was found on Tripadvisor in Andover. We weighed up going to Ivy Cafe in Richmond but I don’t think either of us would have made it there alive  :-DD

Have had similar run ins with the local JW. They stopped knocking after I gave the associated child soldier my copy of The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Fingers crossed you did indeed at least kick off some introspection.

--- End quote ---

Needs must, I suppose  ;)

With JWs, I use the unpublished backstory as to what lead to Yasmin Gibson becoming the first "home alone" mother. Last time their comment was "that shouldn't happen". Well, yes - but it did. (I knew Yasmin when she was a toddler and I wasn't much more).

The last time some evangelical turned up on my doorstep, I used phrases like "Don't trust me, look at the Bible". The youngster was last heard asking her mother in an incredulous voice "does the Bible really say that?", with the mother not answering. The world became an infintesssimally less bad place :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version