Author Topic: FeelTech FY6800 Signal Generator Free Trial  (Read 57009 times)

Offline ikrase

• Regular Contributor
Re: FeelTech FY6800 Signal Generator Free Trial
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2018, 12:44:31 am »
Allegedly better support, nicer buttons, less power supply trouble

Offline lululu

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2018, 06:59:52 pm »
So as far as I can see it, the FY6800 can now be purchased regularly. But the company changed its name from "Feeltech" to "FeelElec"??

Now what puzzles me a bit is that I find the FY6800 under several different brands. On Ebay I find it branded as "FeelElec", on Aliexpress you find it as "KMOON", "ZEAST" and "haoba". Are these all the same thing just shipped with a different front sticker? Or are some of these clones of the Feeltech one?

Also, I read many people had problems and even bricked their device running firmware v3.1 and earlier; so I contacted some seller of a "FeelElec FY6800" on Ebay and asked for the precise firmware version of the devices they are shipping and they told me today their firmware version was v1.6!? So are they using a new versioning scheme on this model or what?

About the output amp of the FY6800, does it work reliably on very low impedance? For instance I currently have to modulate a circuit with only 1 Ohm impedance and I wonder if I would blow up the FY6800's output amp with that circuit. I mean I see they are writing in their specs the device would run even short circuited for 60s, any real life confirmation on this one?

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2018, 12:21:50 am »
To answer the first question, at least KKMOON is a distributor and sometimes rebadges the products. I think I got my old model from them since they fulfill Amazon (DE) orders, avoiding a time-consuming and perhaps costly trip to the customs' authority.
My old model (FY*24*) could drive 4 Ohms (speaker) loads without complaining too. For what I do, though, a 50 Ohm BNC terminator does the job. Not sure why the need for 1-Ohm loads, that's subwoofer-amplifier range.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2018, 01:28:09 am »
Allegedly better support, nicer buttons, less power supply trouble

12 days after supplying shipping addresses (PO Box and street)  for a replacement FP board I got an email saying the addresses were incorrect.  They were not.  No explanation of why they thought that, but now they also wanted a contact number.   I'll believe they have better support when I see evidence of it.

FWIW I got so tired of dealing with it, I bought a Keysight 33622A from their eBay store.

I did *not* brick my V3.1 device.  It still works although the settings are all screwed up and the screen trashed.  It worked fine when I completed the PSU fix and ran it for a couple of hours.  I turned it off and went to bed.  The next morning when I powered it up it borked itself.  That was in November-December of last year.  Despite many efforts I am still waiting as are others.

Until they actually start delivering on customer support, I suggest avoiding like the plague.

Offline lululu

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2018, 12:15:44 am »
To answer the first question, at least KKMOON is a distributor and sometimes rebadges the products. I think I got my old model from them since they fulfill Amazon (DE) orders, avoiding a time-consuming and perhaps costly trip to the customs' authority.
My old model (FY*24*) could drive 4 Ohms (speaker) loads without complaining too.

Sounds good! Thanks! I'll give it a try and will purchase one from the east (~25 days delivery it seems). Right now I don't see anybody selling the FY6800 nearby unfortunately.

For what I do, though, a 50 Ohm BNC terminator does the job. Not sure why the need for 1-Ohm loads, that's subwoofer-amplifier range.

Yeah not very common I know; that's a tube amp which I currently have to debug and repair which has a somewhat odd design. It has a coil with only 1 Ohm at the heart of its signal routing (between preamp and power amp section). But ... who cares about internal design details when it sounds great, period.

FWIW I got so tired of dealing with it, I bought a Keysight 33622A from their eBay store.

Mja, considering the price difference I rather give the FY6800 a try. I don't need a signal generator that often. And besides, my oscilloscope is also an Asian one which many people were complaining about, but it is running fine for me for more than 10 years without any issues so far. *fingers crossed*

I just hope the FY6800's PSU won't cause any serious signal noise issue. We will see.

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2018, 09:09:36 am »
I just hope the FY6800's PSU won't cause any serious signal noise issue. We will see.

Well, if you are really running it at 1 Ohm, I think you should more worry about distortions from the drive-OpAmp than from the PSU. You are running it massively out of spec, it's anyone's guess what the waveform will do.

Maybe you should consider this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/121799023133
Not sure how good it is, but at least it is spec'ed >=1 Ohm
(its a special variant of that model, build for low impedance)

Or at the very least use this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/132112656266
Still out of spec, but a bit more in the direction you are thinking of using it.

Offline lululu

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2018, 01:23:24 pm »
Well, if you are really running it at 1 Ohm, I think you should more worry about distortions from the drive-OpAmp than from the PSU. You are running it massively out of spec, it's anyone's guess what the waveform will do.

Well, I was actually just referring to the DC resistance of that circuit, at 1kHz it's rather ~10 Ohm. However in the meantime I actually "tested" the FY6800 accidentally also short circuited. Still alive and working well. ;)

Question: is it normal for function generators that the secondary circuit's (output) ground is always connected with primary (net) ground? At least that's the case with the FY6800, so in practice I often have to take care of polarity with the FY6800 when doing some quick circuit hacks. For me that's a bit inconvenient. For my uses it would be handy to rather have the output voltage completely separated.

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2018, 03:50:47 pm »
Question: is it normal for function generators that the secondary circuit's (output) ground is always connected with primary (net) ground? At least that's the case with the FY6800, so in practice I often have to take care of polarity with the FY6800 when doing some quick circuit hacks. For me that's a bit inconvenient. For my uses it would be handy to rather have the output voltage completely separated.

I am not an owner of a large array of generators, nor a true expert.

But while researching how to get rid of the floating voltage of the FY6600, I did read on a FAQ from I think Siglent that they normally have the two connected by a high value resistor to avoid this. As I was considering the same, I saw confirmation of my plans in that.
And from that I would also infer that no, apparently Siglent (was it Siglent, nor sure anymore) does not think it normal or wise to connect the two.

So if the FY6800 indeed has a zero ohm connection between earth (and thus neutral) and signal ground, then FeelTech was not paying as much attention to this forum as we hoped they were.

Unlike Scopes of course, where the two are always connected, see the "how to (not) blow up your scope" video from Dave.

Edit: can't find the exact FAQ anymore, but this one is nearly as good:
https://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=OM&lc=eng&ckey=356756&nid=-11143.0.00&id=356756

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:06:44 pm by cybermaus »

Offline precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2018, 04:10:25 pm »
Question: is it normal for function generators that the secondary circuit's (output) ground is always connected with primary (net) ground?

Not just for function generators. It is quite common (pun intended) for devices with unbalanced outputs to have circuit ground and earth ground bonded at the outputs.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2018, 05:07:21 pm »
The older 3200 series also has all its commons tied together. The front panel even shows that they all go to ground. Measuring, I get about 2.2 ohms between the BNC shields.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Mozee

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2018, 08:01:36 pm »
So how to overcome this? Adding a big value resistor between gnd and the mains gnd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We always learn, till the moment we’re dying , we learn how it feels to be dead

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2018, 09:39:01 pm »
If you have an FY-6800 would you please post a set of teardown photos?  Front and back of all boards, case panels, etc.  I'm curious what has changed from the FY-6600 besides the power connector.

Offline precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2018, 12:56:43 pm »
Here are some pics of the FY6800 boards.

Offline thielj

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2018, 02:37:19 pm »
I bought the FY6800-60 and the display stopped working after the 3rd use (it lights up but simply stays blank, while the unit, buttons, signal generator etc is still working). After some discussions, the seller promised to send me a display board to exchange myself but nothing has arrived yet.

I've now opened the case and checked all the connectors etc. Does anyone know an obvious reason that could cause the display to blank-out that I would be able to fix myself?

Offline FeelElec

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2019, 05:34:18 am »
Compared with users like fremen67 that definitely deserves a free unit, not to mention many others, I did almost nothing except starting the the avalanche a bit.
I still think I deserve my 3.1 firmware unit replaced, along with all the other 3.0/3.1 firmware units.
You have only one threat practically to look into it, but  I have a feeling that will be probably the only Feeltech post, or one of the very few, same like this "Amy" person that started the other thread.
And yes, would have been nice to actually answer my emails, sent long ago.

Good luck to the winners, personally I will not give my private information for 100EUR, but some others maybe will do it.

DC1MC

Dear Customers:
We have no staff to take charge of this forum account before. We have not landed in this forum for a long time. We apologize for the vacancy in our work. At the same time, we will compensate the damaged customers. From now on, our account is in the charge of a special person, we will maintain the forum. Customers who have purchased version FY6600 V3.0 before will send the firmware chip downloaded version V3.1 free of charge as long as they contact us. At the same time, if these customers intend to purchase FY6900 series products, our company will return all the profits of the machine to customers, charging only the cost of equipment and transportation costs. Please contact us in EVVblog or Email.

Email address: service@feelelec.com

FeelElec

Offline FeelElec

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2019, 05:36:55 am »
I sent a PM about my V 3.0 FY-6600.  More "we fix for free".  When I asked for details about how to arrange that. feeltech got *very* quiet. just as back in December.

Dear Customers:
We have no staff to take charge of this forum account before. We have not landed in this forum for a long time. We apologize for the vacancy in our work. At the same time, we will compensate the damaged customers. From now on, our account is in the charge of a special person, we will maintain the forum. Customers who have purchased version FY6600 V3.0 before will send the firmware chip downloaded version V3.1 free of charge as long as they contact us. At the same time, if these customers intend to purchase FY6900 series products, our company will return all the profits of the machine to customers, charging only the cost of equipment and transportation costs. Please contact us in EVVblog or Email.

FeelElec

Offline FeelElec

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2019, 05:41:22 am »
It can be even simpler: just release the 3.2 firmware as a up-loadable file. 90% or better of the user community here on eevblog will next fix their own devices without additional cost to Feeltech *and* the device has potential to become popular if mistakes can be fixed and it can be played with

Also, my note above toward negativity was on complaining over the wording whether this was a contest and how they mix up words for free and trail.  Not worth it.
The bad firmware remarks are very much to the point. Note that I asked about upgrade able firmware earlier in this thread. Those are the valid complaints

Dear Customers:

FeelElec

Offline Sava

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2020, 04:05:59 pm »
I have a Fj-6800. The frequency is incorrect and minus 13.7 Hz / mhz. Could the time base of this generator be set?

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2022, 05:58:39 pm »
3.   Must have more than five years of experience in the development of electronic engineers=dlattach;attach=409315

What a bummer.
I have not developed an electronic engineer yet.

Photo's apparently used t be developed with Hydroquinone. Does that also work for engineers, or do you need more exotic stuff for those?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroquinone

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf