Author Topic: GIVEAWAY: Keysight Test Gear  (Read 15999 times)

Offline ssander

• Contributor
Re: GIVEAWAY: Keysight Test Gear
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2021, 06:03:55 am »
My very old analog CRT Goldstar OS-7020 oscilloscope has a variable time base :-BROKE as the input signal is moved from right to left on the display.

The input signal is the 1kHz 5V calibration signal used to calibrate the oscilloscope display.  |O

Please view the video of my oscilloscope on Odysee

https://odysee.com/oscilloscope:5

I dreaming of a Keysight Oscilloscope.

I'm in.

Offline nikifena

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2021, 07:42:15 am »
Hi Dave.
I'm Niki. An engineer working usually as a PCB and 3D designer. Also, I've been making electronics for musicians, recording studios, and repairs for over 15 years. Here are photos of my lab - a place where I spend my day. Currently, I have a nice power supply, but I wish to have another nice modern power supply like the new Keysight PSU. So, I'm in!

Good luck everyone 

Online Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2021, 10:35:12 am »
Hi Dave!, my name is Sara I'm an electronics engineering student. I've loved electronics since i was around 6 and a mini calculator i had ran out of battery and i wanted to know why it stopped working. Since then, understanding electronics has been my goal in life, and now, more than finding dead batteries inside calculators i enjoy making my own things, I've made my own stereo, my first amplifier i built when i was 13 in highschool and buying the parts one by one. Now i'm close to getting my degree, and working as a freelancer to get my home lab set up. I currently have an oscilloscope, a multimeter, and a power supply that i built as an early on uni project, so I would love to get the function generator. I've built a generator using a 555 timer and some RC integrators, but it barely makes it into the few kilohertz before wobbling all over the place! I just found out about this particular giveaway and read it will close soon so for now i only have my words here. having a function generator would be really useful in helping me characterize my first big project which is going to be a portable sound system; of this and my current bench, which is also my computer desk, i will upload pictures in the morning. This doesn't give me time to hide all the mess but i won't mind sharing that!

Behind the monitor are some of my components boxes, most of which are repurposed cookie tins! my early grandma starter pack i guess :P

Thank you for this giveaway, i wasn't able to participate in Keysight's own giveaway because my country, while not really problematic with giveaways, wasn't included in their list!
Edit: updated bench/desk!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 03:25:39 pm by Anthocyanina »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline WildMOSFET

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2021, 04:45:48 pm »
Hi Dave thanks for this opportunity. I'm a ITE student and i like all eras of electronics. This is some of my stuff an projects collected in the years.

I started playing with batteries and light bulbs when I was five. I spent my childhood playing with passive components. Around 14 I discovered the 555 and from there slowly the active components. Now I am also familiar with microcontrollers and FPGAs. I am also interested in vintage electronics as you can see from the photos.

My university path is not very brilliant because I am started with no basis in mathematics, but I am doing it.

Thanks for everything!
Rick
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:15:04 am by WildMOSFET »

Offline knarfS

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 09:54:31 am »
Hi Dave,

I'm Frank and the developer of SmuView (https://sigrok.org/wiki/SmuView), an open source software based on the sigrok library.

SmuView supports a wide variety of measurement devices, many of them affordable for the electronic hobbyist.
You can connect DMMs, power supplies, electronic loads and other device types to collect data, plot data and also do math operations across multiple devices.
With the build-in Python scripting API one can script complex measurement tasks, till the cows come home ;)
A use case for SmuView would be the characterization of power supplies.

The user manual gives a nice overview of the supported features: https://knarfs.github.io/doc/smuview/0.0.5/manual.html

At the moment I'm working on scope support for SmuView to extend the analysis capabilities, f.e. to measure the ripple voltage when characterizing switch mode power supplies.
I own a crappy DSO that regularly crashes when using the remote connection and that makes it hard to develop the new features.

But i'd also be happy to add support for signal generators to SmuView :)

Thanks for your work over the years!
Frank

The following users thanked this post: lscw

Offline lscw

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2021, 12:39:17 pm »
Hi Dave,

I don't have many forum posts so I shaln't post on the other thread.

A bit about me:
I worked as a self employed auto electrician for five years before having to stop trading at the beginning of 2020 due to health conditions. Not long after that I became more familiar with your channel and realised where my interests lie and that I could learn a lot from the likes of your videos, so decided to start from the very beginning (yes, the Rigol DS1052E). A little over a year later I have almost caught up at #1380 and I have learnt an awful lot - thank you! - but still have so much more I want to understand and so much further I want to go.
Don't worry, I don't ONLY watch your videos! I do have a whole bunch of other channels in my subscription list which I dip in and out of although I have been saving most of The Signal Path and some other RF'y goodness for such a time that I feel I can truly grasp them. My ambition is to learn about RF and radio.

In the past year I have been able to put aside enough to buy a cheap chinese 30V 5A power supply, a Tektronix 2246 and a Gould 4074 100Mhz 400Ms/s scope which have been great learning tools but I have yet to even touch, let alone use a modern digital oscilloscope and as things are going I don't think I'll be able to afford one any time soon!

Keep up the good work Dave and see you over on Odysee/Utreon sometime soon  :-+

Seb W
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 11:11:02 am by lscw »
It works in practice but does it work in theory?

Offline Oslaw

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2021, 02:17:09 pm »
I am an Electrical Engineer currently aspiring to move from a hobbyist electrical engineer to a professional and I believe this oscilloscope will give me the opportunity to do so. I will be grateful, as this will be a step forward for me.
N.B:
My current measurement device attached below.

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2021, 01:31:32 pm »
Hi Dave,

For some time now I am trying to build a TTL computer.
See https://www.dijkens.com/mdComputer8/

It more or less works now, but with limited equipment it is impossible for me to get it stable. Especially when I increase the clockspeed.
Investigating this with a stable power supply or oscilloscope could really help me to get it stable

Thanks for all the knowledge and inspiration you are bringing

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2021, 01:57:00 pm »
Congratulations to the winner!

Edit: Added a few things.
Edit: Replaced with congratulations
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:05:32 pm by Deridex »

Offline SunboX

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2021, 08:12:26 am »
Hy Dave,

Please draw me in. 🙂

Greetings from Germany,
André Fiedler

Offline tifkat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2021, 10:30:53 am »
Hi Dave,

As this isn't officially noted as being closed, and I lucked out in the YT draw, I figured I'd try an entry here. Willing to accept any judgement on being 'too late'

Since my kids have reached the magical age where spending time with Mum or Dad is no longer a thing, and inspired by all of the retro computing repair videos around these days, I've decided to get into electronics. Much to my wife's dismay, I've been slowly building up a workbench of tools and components to help this happen. I haven't really done much in electronics since I designed and built a DC Power Supply based on the LM350T back in Gr 12 Physics (1992!) but I have always been interested.

My current stretch goal is to make a top quality benchtop DC PSU, which would in some way rival the Keysight E36313A, and maybe make it available it kit for for the enthusiast.

I have a long way to go to get to this level, but I think it will provide a pretty good grounding in the basics I need to make a diverse range of projects. My current focus project is a DIY Reflow Soldering Toaster Oven, something like this:

Along the way I hope to expand and improve on Louis Scull's DC Electronic Load, by upgrading the MCU to a bigger AVR IC and introducing GPIO extenders for the keypad and a TFT LCD panel, and make the improvements available to the community, and possibly be able to supply kits for people who would rather pay someone else to do all the parts gathering.

If I had a choice in which of the giveaway units, I'd go for the desktop multi-meter, as I'm already working towards making a DC PSU and I bought and built a JYETech DSO068 'scope, which should serve me ok for now. I don't see a use for a signal generator, at this point in time. The multi-meter is probably the last thing I would budget in to purchase, but could definitely benefit from when designing a power supply. Accurate measurements would be good. It would also make the Mrs happy that I didn't take another chuck of money out of her budget, and I wouldn't have to answer the dreaded "Why do you need that, you already have a ($10) multimeter" question. Second preference would be a 'scope.

I've already begun haunting the beginner's forums and asking the dumb questions I need to ask, so you may be able to find some more examples of things I'm working on to reach the current focus project. I'm currently mulling over the idea of starting up a web log, as I find a lot of the stuff I am trying to learn is only partially covered by the myriad of content published online. Seems to be a lot of beginners making beginner videos which go no further than what all the other beginner videos cover. (Or YouTube's search algorithm is broken and likes to send you to the same videos everyone else watches. Search engine assumption win!)

I didn't want to make this too long, so I hope this whets your appetite for my plans and how I would put anything in the giveaway to great use.

Cheers,

Collin B.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 11:29:05 pm by tifkat »

Offline pcmad

• Regular Contributor
    • module web design
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2021, 05:10:20 pm »
i would love one of these scopes as i repair computers,  sound equipment and other electronics i learning very fast and love this hobby i even just started youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5QZvcpI6BDzOLjPLDvvZ_g

I'm In

thank you in advance Dave
Signature removed by gnif - spam

Offline duraluminium

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2021, 05:34:08 am »
Hi DAve, I'm an organic chemistry student that is starting a lab/workshop in Montenegro, looking to bring 'high-tech" to this small country. Things like Arduino, 3D printing, skills to repair etc. I'd like to set up a kids learning STEM program, and such tools would be a godsend, especially a good oscilloscope. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:45:41 am by duraluminium »

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2021, 11:19:52 pm »
Official winners:
PSU : Natester
Function gen: Anthocyanina
Multimeter: Canis_Lupis
Scope: Harshadb13

The following users thanked this post: bingo600, edavid, Harshadb13, Trader, Anthocyanina, canis_lupus

Offline canis_lupus

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2021, 04:08:32 pm »
As I wrote in a private e-mail:

Thank you very much for the multimeter. I assure you that it will not be left unused and will bravely serve our community.
As you have seen, we have two antique Philips PM2534 multimeters, which I like very much in private, because they are accurate and comfortable, we have one cheap Tenma 72-8720 multimeter and several small UNIT-T multimeters, which we use for example in workshops.

You have a few hackerspace in Australia, please talk about them, show them, they need it like other similar initiatives in the world. They are needed, they fulfill a very important educational function, just like you. :-)

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2021, 01:18:55 am »
Hi Dave, I'm looking for a good low noise Lab PSU with bipolar output for a long time, I need it to power and debugging my hobby projects with high speed ADC and amplifiers. Unfortunately there is no chance to buy a good branded Lab PSU for my needs due to financial limitations and I don't have access to professional electronics equipment. 

Keysight EDU36311A is just what I dream for, it allows to get bipolar power for amplifiers and I can even use third channel to feed the FPGA module or another analog circuit. It's precise, low noise, just what I need and looking for a long time. Can I get EDU36311A Lab PSU?

update: just didn't seen that this giveaway was closed.  :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:26:08 am by radiolistener »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf