Poll

How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?

As before, active forum members only (minimum post count)
195 (58.9%)
As before, active forum members only (NO minimum post count)
58 (17.5%)
Every viewer is equal. Include Youtube commenters, blog commenters, & all forum members
49 (14.8%)
It should be a contest of skill (describe below)
11 (3.3%)
Something else (describe below)
18 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 323

Author Topic: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?  (Read 101000 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?
« on: February 06, 2016, 06:49:06 am »
This poll might be a bit biased considering where it is posted, but lets see.
And as mentioned, there will be a 2nd scope exclusive for Patreon and Forum supporters

Offline RobertoLG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 09:58:41 pm »
I'm not participating of the draw, just saying

Offline Tandy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Darren Grant from Tandy, UK.
    • Tandy
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:17:10 pm »
As the giveaway this time is such a high-value item I would suggest a different approach.

1st scope to be offered to non-profit groups like hacker spaces so that a number of people would benefit from it, rather than it going straight on ebay and the pocketing the cash. Get the groups to send in a post card or a video with an idea for an EEV blog video.

2nd scope random selection for your supporters, perhaps this would encourage more people to sign up as supporters in the hope of winning the scope, so you get something out of it as well. Only fair seeing how much effort you put into the EEVblog, without which the scopes wouldn't have been up for grabs.
For more info on Tandy try these links Tandy History EEVBlog Thread & Official Tandy Website

Offline Tandy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Darren Grant from Tandy, UK.
    • Tandy
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 10:25:44 pm »

If it ends up on eBay, I do not think Keysight will send giveaways to Dave anymore.

Just to clarify, what I mean is that some random person who doesn't need a top end scope who wins it is likely to sell it on eBay and buy a $200 Rigol, keeping all the cash. If it goes to a hacker space it kind of minimises that possibility because it belongs to the group. And even if it did end up being sold the proceeds would go to the group rather than being a windfall for someone.

but yes, I think Keysight wouldn't be impressed to see it put on eBay by some chancer.
For more info on Tandy try these links Tandy History EEVBlog Thread & Official Tandy Website

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 10:45:20 pm »
IMHO it should be skill based, unless you want an absolute beginner to get it and see it ends up on eBay.

Skill is not a good correlator with likelihood of it ending up on eBay.  Just because someone has a high skill level, doesn't mean they don't need (or would rather have) the money instead, or that they don't already own a high-end scope and would sell this one.

Whenever competitions try to prevent the winner doing a quick sale, they retain ownership until after some time period.  If Dave wanted to do the same, he would need to lease the scope to the winner for a 3 year (or whatever) period for $1 per month or something, and after 3 years - and proof of continued possession of the winner, he would release title and they could sell it.

But that is a huge hassle that Dave isn't going to want to deal with.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 10:52:14 pm »
Create a 'Dave' sign from blinking, flashing LEDs. Make a video of it while it is mounted to your house wall. Send schematics, parts list. You get points for best optical effects, least parts, cheapest realization etc.  :D

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 10:52:25 pm »

1st scope to be offered to non-profit groups like hacker spaces so that a number of people would benefit from it

While that is a nice sentiment, I think it would be foolish to put such a scope in a hacker space. It would likely disappear within a few days.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 11:08:05 pm »
Maybe minimum post count, like 10-15 but no more than 2 posts per day will count to be eligible. This is to avoid huge desire to easily enter the giveaway without actually posting something useful. Even if those posts will have no actual value, at least that person will need some patience to get them, and will weed out those who actually have no intention to participate on this forum.
Also long term members who made only a few posts could be an exception to minimum post count if they made at least one post in the last six months.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:12:56 pm by wraper »

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 11:13:31 pm »
What about -
Start up with the usual BIO. Contestant described what he does, and his planned future use should he win. He MUST include some sort of PROOF about
who he is. either a website, past history of activity, of some sort or another. DNA samples would be ideal ! :-)
THEN, from this list, subscribers vote for a winner or a short list of say 10? (5?). Finally use a random draw !! That prevents any type of STACKING !
The second draw would be similar, and open to all for voting.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 11:26:43 pm »
If it ends up on eBay, I do not think Keysight will send giveaways to Dave anymore.
This is the twats in Marketing remember? They already got their value from the 100 people that thought about their stuff for a moment due to all this noise on the forum.

I reckon forum members with minimum post count = 1

Start a thread. Get people to post in it. Remove suspicious IP/Username oddities. Pick one at random.

If your viewers are too lazy to spend 120 seconds enrolling in the forum they don't want the thing, do they?

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 12:26:30 am »
IMHO it should be skill based, unless you want an absolute beginner to get it and see it ends up on eBay.

Or worse... come here with "how can I view the trace from the starter capacitor in my A/C unit?"  kind of questions (yes I love those , can you tell?)

Either skills based or everyone send a postcard from their current home town to Dave (scanned or photographed to a contest email address; this way nothing shows up 8 months later because of a post office screwup).

and before Dave ships it out, the winner should aggree to not sell it for at least three years or they will be
A)  be banned from here and
B)  his/her name and address wil be made public so he/she can be spanked appropriately :)

and post at least one picture of it every 6 months to prove they are still in posession of it

Well... if that doesn't keep away the riff-raff , nothing much else will :)
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 02:29:13 am »
As a curmudgeon,I've voted:-
"As before, active forum members only (minimum post count)"

That said,a high end Oscilloscope would be wasted on me,& maybe other Forum members.
I'm unlikely to do anything in my declining years that I can't do with my Tek 7613.

I guess I could put it on display in the lounge room & gloat! ;D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 03:56:02 am »
That said,a high end Oscilloscope would be wasted on me,& maybe other Forum members.

I would likely think that could apply to the majority of members.

I know myself, that if I had a scope costing more than $5K, it would be an overspend.  But having such a prize is more than matching performance to need...

Offline ozwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 04:06:23 am »
I wonder if Keysight would consider one hi-end scope (perhaps for the supporters), and the second scope in equivalent value of 2000 series scopes?  Dave could give away 7 of those to the forum members with postings as of January 30?

Ozwolf
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 04:18:44 am »
I would make a minimal post count and forum membership (say 10 forum posts) but other than that have at it. You have one to support the long time members so no big deal there.

This contest should be beneficial to the person donating the equipment but to the Dave's business. This allows for the widest possible audience and could be a real boost for the forum membership count, YouTube views.   

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 04:21:35 am »
I wonder if Keysight would consider one hi-end scope (perhaps for the supporters), and the second scope in equivalent value of 2000 series scopes?  Dave could give away 7 of those to the forum members with postings as of January 30?

Ozwolf

You could ask - but I would think Keysight want to get maximum exposure for this high end model rather than a 5 year old model.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 05:06:29 am »
I'd go with:
Min 100 posts
Must be member for 1 year+
Active member (for dave to interpret as he wishes)

That will wead out the people who join just to enter, and those those that go back to their inactive account and post 99 new posts to get enough (still doesn't count as active).

Game of skill wouldn't never work, some are experts at repair, some in mechanical, some in software dev, some in circuit design, etc etc. How would you pick questions easy enough for everyone to know, but hard enough not to be defeated with google ?

I don't think there is anyway to 'test' people's likelyhood to keep an expensive scope (no one in this thread has said what it is exactly). On paper I wouldn't be someone that would keep it, but the reality of having a project that needs a decent scope (and not having anything at all), and having not won anything in the past 20 years, mean I would chain the thing to my bench.

Only other thought it to award the prize to a project (if dave likes the project you submit), you get the scope. That would show need for said piece of test equipment.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 05:22:05 am »
but yes, I think Keysight wouldn't be impressed to see it put on eBay by some chancer.

Then they will be mighty upset when dozens find their way on ebay at the end of March, they are giving away 30 of them.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 05:26:16 am »
If your viewers are too lazy to spend 120 seconds enrolling in the forum they don't want the thing, do they?

True.
As for Youtube commenters, as mentioned, no real way to tell if that person is an active commenter, so they video will just get 10,000 "I'm In" comments and odds are that is the first time they have ever contributed.
I think the argument from the last contest was not that tons of new people joined the forum (I think it was >1000?), but that the minimum post requirement was 5, so the forum got flooded with a ton of useless posts.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 05:27:57 am »

Then they will be mighty upset when dozens find their way on ebay at the end of March, they are giving away 30 of them.

Just thinking on that ... they probably won't mind.  The giveaway itself will result in the word being spread - which is what you would expect them to want to happen.

A second thought ... having them turn up on eBay mightn't be a bad thing either.  It will continue the interest and there will be some who might just try for a chance at a (comparative) bargain.

Just fuels the lust.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 05:29:22 am »
so the forum got flooded with a ton of useless posts.

:-- :-- :--

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 05:50:34 am »
Only other thought it to award the prize to a project (if dave likes the project you submit), you get the scope. That would show need for said piece of test equipment.

hey...that would be completely unfair to the people that can't start working on projects because they lack a "proper lab" ...

Realistically though, no matter how the lucky ones get picked , only two people will be happy in the end; the ones that got the scopes.

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 06:12:38 am »
I think the argument from the last contest was not that tons of new people joined the forum (I think it was >1000?), but that the minimum post requirement was 5, so the forum got flooded with a ton of useless posts.
Yup.

But if some of that thousand are still around then we're all better off aren't we?

How about you announce the winner in a new thread and give them a couple of days to get in touch? That'll keep the n00bs coming back for a while and some might get hooked.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 06:16:09 am »

hey...that would be completely unfair to the people that can't start working on projects because they lack a "proper lab" ...

Hasn't stopped me, I have PCB designs, BOM lists, some of the parts, software I can adapt etc. Though baring any PCB design issues, the scope is needed further in when I need to refine the design and get it working with other people's equipment.

But I do sort of agree with you, as I could see this becoming a Kickstarter style e-Wang contest, where people invent elaborate designs they lack the skill to actually build.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 08:11:10 am »
Who in electronics wouldn't love a 1G scope?   8)

What makes this forum, not only Dave and his much admired eccentric style but the many hundreds of tireless members freely giving their time to help those with much less knowledge than themselves. Mike, Hero, Howard, Ian, zucca, TiN, Bravo, Sean, Tim are only a very few of those that make this forum just what it is. How do you thank these people?
(My apologies to those I've omitted)

Nominations of those worthy of such a prize followed by a poll to build a shortlist, then another to find a most valued member.
Of course if they were to refuse the prize they would have the option to re-award it to a member of their choice or see it go to the runner up.

Please omit me from whatever form of the comp.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf