Poll

How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?

As before, active forum members only (minimum post count)
195 (58.9%)
As before, active forum members only (NO minimum post count)
58 (17.5%)
Every viewer is equal. Include Youtube commenters, blog commenters, & all forum members
49 (14.8%)
It should be a contest of skill (describe below)
11 (3.3%)
Something else (describe below)
18 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 323

Author Topic: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?  (Read 101019 times)

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
Re: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2016, 08:46:31 pm »
If I won a scope I would have it awarded to my student workshop/(union).

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2016, 03:41:08 am »
If this was a competition to win a $15,000 wall oven, would people be worrying about "are they worthy of the oven?", "Do they cook only *very* special foods", "No beginner can do that oven justice!", "Will winning this improve their cooking?", "If you already have a good oven, you deserve this more than somebody with only a microwave", "Have people tell us all what they would cook, so we can judge the most deserving!", "We should have a toaster oven for beginner cooks".

(Actually, the more I think about it, the more I could see such comments being made by those who feel passionately about it)

Cut the pretension, and make it random among active members, with little incentive for anybody new to spam the forum.

Not everybody has the skills to be an award winning chef, but nearly anybody will take pleasure in having a really nice oven - even if they only use it to cook frozen pizzas. Likewise with a scope.

Plenty of people have won a high-end car and not been able to insure and service it, so sold it almost straight away - at least with this scope it should have minimal running costs.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline 84GKSIG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2016, 10:58:27 pm »
keep it fun and simple, why over complicate something that isnt complicated ????

Offline luney

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2016, 04:22:07 am »
I kind of said something very similar in the other thread Dave started about this. If there is a high post count to qualify then I'm out. I just found this awesome forum. I wish I had been here from the beginning like some members appear to have been. I mean by the comments some make. I hope there is something like this again so maybe then I will have proven that I'm here to stay and not just here for a contest. I didn't even know there was one until earlier today when I finally decided to venture out of the second thread I started here. My first was my introduction and my second was asking for help with actually learning something new. Anyway, good luck to the ones that are included. I'm gonna go crawl back into the thread where I asked for help. The folks responding there don't seem to think any less of me because I'm new or don't seem to know crap about this stuff, YET! I learn pretty quick  >:D

I love this place Dave and I thank you for starting and continuing to run it. The things I have learned, in just a couple of days so far mind you, are priceless to me. Far more valuable to me than a new scope. Now if you throw in a high quality 10x probe to replace the one that came with my Velleman HPS50 (funny it is the exact probe you tore apart in your video about why 1x probes are worthless), I would trade my firstborn, heh  :-DD

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2016, 03:45:41 am »
For what it's worth...

I'm a 'newbie' to the forum (I wasn't aware of this giveaway/contest until now), this being just my third post.

I'm trying to get myself set up with a workbench and test equipment (old stuff from eBay plus a new EEVblog meter :-+) to get more involved in my long term interest in electronics (previously just building kits, making some simple repairs) after retiring early to look after my disabled wife.

As such, I believe I would fall well and truly into the 'unworthy' category having limited experience with actually designing and constructing projects.  :--

In addition, I would only be using these skills for my own personal development, as a hobby, with no interest in looking for a career from it at my stage of life. :palm:

I have no issues with not qualifying or having the skills to enter a 'contest' if that's the way Dave goes with it - fair enough.  :-+

However, if it is a 'giveaway', then I think I should have an equal chance at winning the scope as anyone else (even though it may turn out I never develop enough skills to fully utilize the advanced features of the scope).  I would feel very privileged and would be proud to own it.  :)

Not that I envisage any great chance of my being the 'winner' :-BROKE
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:24:53 am by MarvinTheMartian »
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2016, 01:08:32 pm »
I kinda wish Keysight had given Dave a second cheaper item(s), so people who entered could choose which one they wanted/needed more.
For an example:
A. High end scope
B. Entry level scope, Lab PSU, function generator.
People entering choose A or B, perhaps B has more chances to win something.

Would be less of an issue as the beginners could get an entire lab setup, and others would go for the one thing they need but could never justify spending $15K on.
Just a thought for possible future contests.

I just wish Keysight hadn't restricted their contest so much, as I'm not a supporter yet, I get one chance in ... what 10,000 or something.
Given how often this sort of thing comes up, well exceeding my lifetime is easy enough, darn I hate knowing the laws of probability.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2016, 02:41:55 pm »
I just had an idea.
Given that Keysight are giving away 30 of these things to a selected list of countries (not including Australia unfortunately), which I have no doubt everyone will enter, what si the point me doing the same?
How about I just restrict my units to countries Keysight aren't allowing to enter? (minus dodgy shipping countries like say South Africa who everyone refuses to ship to because stuff just doesn't make it). I could say Australia only which would make it incredibly easy, but no doubt that would piss off too many people?

EDIT: Keysight's list is:
Austria
Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec)
Chile,
Denmark,
Finland,
France,
Germany,
Ireland,
Japan,
Korea,
New Zealand,
Poland,
South Africa,
Switzerland,
Taiwan,
United Kingdom,
United States (excluding Florida, New York, and Rhode Island),
Venezuela

That already covered a massive chunk of my audience.
My top 10 countries are:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:47:22 pm by EEVblog »

Offline RogerRowland

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2016, 02:49:01 pm »
I just had an idea.
Given that Keysight are giving away 30 of these things to a selected list of countries (not including Australia unfortunately), which I have no doubt everyone will enter, what si the point me doing the same?
How about I just restrict my units to countries Keysight aren't allowing to enter? (minus dodgy shipping countries like say South Africa who everyone refuses to ship to because stuff just doesn't make it). I could say Australia only which would make it incredibly easy, but no doubt that would piss off too many people?

I was on the point of suggesting the same thing, but thought it might attract derision. I've already registered for the UK Keysight giveaway, and if Australia isn't eligible, just give to Aussie-only entrants, avoid tax issues and problem gone!

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2016, 03:09:48 pm »
I just had an idea.

I was on the point of suggesting the same thing, but thought it might attract derision. I've already registered for the UK Keysight giveaway, and if Australia isn't eligible, just give to Aussie-only entrants, avoid tax issues and problem gone!

A possible problem with including the other countries Keysight has excluded is that Dave may run into the same legal problems that Keysight has.   It is a specially bad idea to make oneself subject to extradition to places like America.   It might be worth checking exactly what the rules are in Australia too, Keysight clearly wasn't happy for a reason.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2016, 04:58:11 pm »
I just had an idea.

While I see the logic in doing that, some of us see this forum as our "electronics home" and excluding us feels like a bit of a downer. 

The odds of anyone here winning one in the broader Keysight contest seems vanishingly small, whereas participating in a contest here would feel like joining in the group fun.  I had not even considered entering Keysight's contest but would enter one here.  This, I suspect, is why Keysight is giving you some scopes to give away - to reach a broader audience.   

You should do what feels right to you of course, but excluding such a large percentage of your audience doesn't feel right from my admittedly biased viewpoint.

Offline tekbasse

• Contributor
    • linkedin profile
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2016, 06:43:36 pm »
yeah, just  Australia. If you don't want to pick where, make a list and allow everyone in the forum to vote on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Rutger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2016, 07:32:09 pm »
I would suggest you keep it and give a way some of your other scopes with equal value to countries that are not part of the list. You can than have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd price.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2016, 10:16:19 pm »
A possible problem with including the other countries Keysight has excluded is that Dave may run into the same legal problems that Keysight has.   It is a specially bad idea to make oneself subject to extradition to places like America.   It might be worth checking exactly what the rules are in Australia too, Keysight clearly wasn't happy for a reason.

Yes, this is a major concern for me.
And Australia only give-away would be 100% guaranteed no headaches.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2016, 10:17:34 pm »
The odds of anyone here winning one in the broader Keysight contest seems vanishingly small, whereas participating in a contest here would feel like joining in the group fun.  I had not even considered entering Keysight's contest but would enter one here.  This, I suspect, is why Keysight is giving you some scopes to give away - to reach a broader audience.   

No, Keysight are giving me the scopes because they want me to advertise their scope giveaway month.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2016, 10:32:22 pm »

No, Keysight are giving me the scopes because they want me to advertise their scope giveaway month.

Yeah - that's what I was trying to get at.  Your advertising here will reach a broader audience. I would never have known about it if not for seeing it here.

Offline RobertoLG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2016, 10:43:52 pm »
yeah. dave with his aussie block stile got a big crowd

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2016, 10:52:43 pm »
Although I would love to win such a beautifull piece of equipment and my country is not listed in the Keysight list  :( you yave had your share of troubles with international shipping, so I can fully understand if you make it an Australian give away.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2016, 11:18:48 pm »
I hope no-one thinks I am slightly motivated by self interest. Not slightly, no  no no. ;)

And talking about giveaways people just a reminder that Keysight are generously giving away a bonus handheld meter via redemption should you buy any two handhelds from their extensive range, valid only until the twenty ninth of this month, so don't muck about if you want a great deal on some quality equipment.

http://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2622527&nid=-33167.920237.00&id=2622527

I deserve two chances for this dodgy lot surely.

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2016, 11:56:35 pm »

But you may need a permit if you are covering all Australia and the prize is worth more than $3000:

http://samsales.com.au/articles/30-second-guide-to-australian-permit-requirements-for-promotions-4.html

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2016, 12:28:28 am »
But you may need a permit if you are covering all Australia and the prize is worth more than $3000:
http://samsales.com.au/articles/30-second-guide-to-australian-permit-requirements-for-promotions-4.html

It's not a promotion. I am not promoting my products or services, I'm simply giving away a couple of used scopes I don't need  ;D

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2016, 01:44:18 am »
I just had an idea.

EDIT: Keysight's list is:
Austria
Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec)
Chile,
Denmark,
Finland,
France,
Germany,
Ireland,
Japan,
Korea,
New Zealand,
Poland,
South Africa,
Switzerland,
Taiwan,
United Kingdom,
United States (excluding Florida, New York, and Rhode Island),
Venezuela

That already covered a massive chunk of my audience.
My top 10 countries are:

When you say "units", do you mean even the one that you reserved for your Patreon supporters?

If you restrict one of the units to the countries excluded by Keysight but leave the Patreon unit open to any country then that would be a good incentive for people to become a Patreon supporter.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2016, 02:01:57 am »
If you restrict one of the units to the countries excluded by Keysight but leave the Patreon unit open to any country then that would be a good incentive for people to become a Patreon supporter.

Not a bad point.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2016, 02:22:46 am »

This is the one point that would make me concerned for Dave.

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2016, 02:51:14 am »

Not a bad point.

Well, I just hedged my bet by becoming a Patron.    :D

I might add that it was very quick and easy to do so.   ;)

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2016, 02:53:23 am »
Well, I just hedged my bet by becoming a Patron.    :D
I think actual real-life lottery gives better chances of getting $15000 :)
Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf