Poll

How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?

As before, active forum members only (minimum post count)
195 (58.9%)
As before, active forum members only (NO minimum post count)
58 (17.5%)
Every viewer is equal. Include Youtube commenters, blog commenters, & all forum members
49 (14.8%)
It should be a contest of skill (describe below)
11 (3.3%)
Something else (describe below)
18 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 323

Author Topic: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?  (Read 101024 times)

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
Re: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2016, 03:11:18 am »
Well, I just hedged my bet by becoming a Patron.    :D
I think actual real-life lottery gives better chances of getting $15000 :)

I've been known to play that too from time to time.

I count myself as one of those that wouldn't do much justice to a $15k scope so I don't think I would/will be too disappointed to not win one.  But still, how cool would it be?  (I might let the EEs at work borrow it--if they're nice. >:D)

So far as supporting Dave--heck, I spend just about as much money for one visit to Starbuck's. 

Offline RogerRowland

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2016, 11:27:49 am »
I think actual real-life lottery gives better chances of getting $15000 :)

Yep, I won £3 on Friday's Euromillions. Ticket cost me £2 so I'm a quid up.

Celebration may be a bit muted though ..... have to split the net profit 50/50 with the missus.

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2016, 02:14:11 pm »

Well as someone who went to an electronics club at school (up to 16yo) and then went off to become a programmer before 'finding' electronics again 3 years ago, I hope I could at least be in the running and anyone else on here who is in a similar position too. I would hate to feel that I need to make posts that dont really contribute just to have a chance.

Dave - do you have stats on how many forum posts have been read by each user? Prehaps that with the 'posts made' would help those of us at the beginning of their EE journey to have a chance.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2016, 03:10:40 pm »
I would sure want to win one of these scopes, just don't give me any shit for immediately reselling it.

Do you include the personal supporters under "Patreon" supporters? I made a donation for access to the Supporter's Lounge.

Offline Georgitsu

« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2016, 08:35:11 am »
I would argue that the EEVblog audience is much broader than just the high-commenting members of this forum. As a low-commenting lurker who really enjoys your videos, the amp-hour podcast, tweets, and the electronics community in general, I hope you can find a way to include people like me in the giveaway.  ;D

Reserving one of the scopes for the patreon and forum supporters is a good gesture to your inner circle, but making the second one available to a more broad audience would be cool.

Maybe using the forum as the sign-up mechanism for the giveaway would be a good way to handle submissions and weed out bots etc.

As for how to handle the giveaway, one idea is to assign entrants particular ticket numbers, and if you meet certain criteria you will be assigned more ticket numbers. For example, normal entrants get 1 ticket, high-commenters get 3 tickets, patreon supporters get 5, etc. Then a script could pick one random ticket.

Offline rohare

« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2016, 01:10:53 am »
I heard about this on the Amp Hour podcast and I understand Dave's conundrum. It's such a high value item and the fact it that almost nobody would be able to use it to it's full potential. It would actually be much more valuable to give away a dozen lesser scopes and it would even be cheaper.

My two cents: If I won it I would sell it and use the proceeds to deck out a full lab with lower end equipment exclusively from keysight. IMHO it wouldn't be entirely ethical to simply sell it and do something else with the money but I simply don't have a use for such a high-end piece of test gear.

Offline Georgitsu

« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2016, 03:46:31 pm »
As an RF guy, this scope would be incredibly useful to me. I often find the need to look at high frequency signals and high-speed transients. It would be nice to see this sort of scope go to someone like me  :-/O

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2016, 05:17:16 pm »
As an RF guy, this scope would be incredibly useful to me. I often find the need to look at high frequency signals and high-speed transients. It would be nice to see this sort of scope go to someone like me  :-/O
I would second that.
I could sure use it to replace my aging TEK-466 with...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2016, 05:29:08 pm »
I just had an idea.
Given that Keysight are giving away 30 of these things to a selected list of countries (not including Australia unfortunately), which I have no doubt everyone will enter, what si the point me doing the same?
How about I just restrict my units to countries Keysight aren't allowing to enter? (minus dodgy shipping countries like say South Africa who everyone refuses to ship to because stuff just doesn't make it). I could say Australia only which would make it incredibly easy, but no doubt that would piss off too many people?

As somebody living in South Africa I should take offence at that, but unfortunately I am also aware of living in South Africa. One of the reasons Martin relocated to Ohio, where he is loving it. Sad to say the most reliable method to ship to South Africa is FEDEX or DHL, where both the sender and recipient get done over cost wise. They do offer online payment of all before delivery though, along with being able to deposit cash in the bank ( where they wait 3 days for it to reflect in the account as a cash deposit, not a cheque which will invariably bounce or be stolen, with the proof of payment altered to show a cash deposit) or to go to the depot with cash or card and collect there.

However, I have been buying from eBay for a few years, and most of the time the stuff does eventually make it, only one item in the last year did not make it through, and I am very aware of the issues of SAPO taking up to 4 months to process a parcel through when it took 3 days from sending to last tracked in JHB by HK post. Improved a little this year, they got here in under 60 days so I could actually give good feedback to the Ebay store.

Sending this prize internationally will have to be done by insured international courier, and will have to have both sender and recipient details along with insurance. Sad to say the recipient will be dinged for duty, VAT and delivery in almost every country.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2016, 08:44:31 pm »
FYI
There are some members busy trying to get their post #'s up with consecutive one line replies in the same thread.
Those that might be selected for the honour of a free 1G DSO need have their "valuable" forum input analysed.

I won't name any publically.  :-X
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2016, 09:06:04 pm »
Is not it too late for doing this? I believe Dave set cut-off date somewhere around the announcement date.
Alex

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2016, 10:46:48 pm »
Is not it too late for doing this? I believe Dave set cut-off date somewhere around the announcement date.
I didn't specifically say "new" members, meaning those members that had joined before the announcement date.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Georgitsu

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2016, 12:28:15 am »
If one of the goals of this giveaway is to encourage people to participate in the EEVblog forum, then obviously part of the giveaway should be to "encourage people to participate in the forum"! Wouldn't ya think? So I think that by requiring people to have/create a forum account in order to participate in the giveaway would be a good way of meeting that goal. Whether people continue to utilize the forum in the future is up to them, but at least they have an account and have gotten the ball rolling.

If you were to only include pre-existing forum members or high-count commenters, that goes against the goal of increasing forum participation. There would be no incentive for anyone new to join in the conversation.

That's my three cents anyway. Cheers!

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2016, 12:35:08 am »
If you were to only include pre-existing forum members or high-count commenters, that goes against the goal of increasing forum participation. There would be no incentive for anyone new to join in the conversation.
You should want to join because you have something to say, not because you want a scope. There will be more giveaways, so stick around.

We went through this already on the last giveaway, we ended up with lots of pointless spam by people racking up the post counts.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:40:14 am by ataradov »
Alex

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2016, 02:30:34 pm »
Agreed, I also from a RF Background. Got nothing at the moment that will work for me.

Offline nyo

• Contributor
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2016, 05:01:35 pm »
I could really use a scope like that, required for fast rise-time measurement, RF and Microwave applications...
But also I agree it should go to people that help out on the forum answering questions and helping others...
Felipe

Offline tonyh88

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2016, 06:14:44 pm »
I have no idea why Keysight contest is  everywhere in Canada except province of Quebec. Being in Quebec I'm just wondering if anyone can think of a reason for this?

Simply curious. It is their right to select where they want their contest to take place but is seems funny to exclude only 1 province and not the whole country.

Edit: Never mind just saw the other thread from keysight. It is probably due to our lottery regulation policies.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:21:41 pm by tonyh88 »

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2016, 06:21:58 pm »
Hi Tony,

I'm not sure of the specifics for Quebec, but we don't have anything against you guys!  Exclusion/inclusion in the contest is 100% due to legal or technical constraints in the given region. A quick search shows me that Quebec is especially stringent in how contests must be run.

Offline GamerAndds

• Regular Contributor
  • We always learn, its our nature.
    • 2000 watt amp
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2016, 07:20:34 pm »
Well tbh if I win the o scpe (which will never happen) I wouldent know what half the stuff does. But I would learn and thats what makes some of these things good to certain people. Just because they have the skill dosent mean they shouldent have the chance to get it. Some people learn with the tools they have- heck thats how I got started in electronics.

I just hope to whomever this goes to will truly cherish it and not put it on ebay or something.... But just because someone dosent have the skill dosent mean they sholdent get it-

Offline tonyh88

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2016, 12:39:33 am »
Hi Tony,

I'm not sure of the specifics for Quebec, but we don't have anything against you guys!  Exclusion/inclusion in the contest is 100% due to legal or technical constraints in the given region. A quick search shows me that Quebec is especially stringent in how contests must be run.

Thanks for the reply and I know it's nothing personnal ahah.  It's true that we have strict regulation on lottery and contests around here

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2016, 01:23:15 am »
My suggestion:

- send them back -  I can just imagine running into a homeless person in the future: "what happened to you? Answer:  I won a Keysight scope and the government took everything away from me.

If you still want to have some sort of "giveaway" - how about to who ever sends you the most interesting electronic item via your Mailbag.  You would get: items and views and we would be entertained.  You could even have us do the voting.  :)

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2016, 03:45:43 am »
I'm biased.  :-//
“I predict that very shortly the old-fashioned incandescent lamp, having a filament heated to brightness by the passage of electric current through it, will entirely disappear.” -Nikola Tesla

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2016, 01:35:18 am »
If you still want to have some sort of "giveaway" - how about to who ever sends you the most interesting electronic item via your Mailbag.  You would get: items and views and we would be entertained.  You could even have us do the voting.  :)

LOL it takes him months sometimes to open Mailbag items as it is. Now imagine he gets sent thousands of them ?
Then there is the thorny issue of postage costs, anything interesting is bound to be really heavy.

Offline Shadetreeprops

• Regular Contributor
  • Backwater building
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2016, 02:36:24 am »
Well, he was right so far very bias.

The only reason i was not here sooner, is becasue every forum i have went to, i tend to get chastised :-DD, for not already knowing, given no help |O, and normally told to google it.

on one forum. i remember being told learning to FAIL and FAIL somemore is how i need to learn. But in my case FAILURE was going to COST ME a lot of money. so i had to get it right :box:. Then i was verbally bashed. so i quit going to fourms.

I have found in certain areas of knowlege, many do not like to help someone, that they think my surpass them in skill. They do not want to be outdone by another.

thats sad  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, Trash it, change it, mail upgrade it, Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it, Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2016, 04:04:44 am »

LOL it takes him months sometimes to open Mailbag items as it is. Now imagine he gets sent thousands of them ?
Then there is the thorny issue of postage costs, anything interesting is bound to be really heavy.

Maybe write on the outside that it is for the contest, have Jr open them, I thought postage was paid by the sender.  Seems it would make his post office happy.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf