Poll

How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?

As before, active forum members only (minimum post count)
195 (58.9%)
As before, active forum members only (NO minimum post count)
58 (17.5%)
Every viewer is equal. Include Youtube commenters, blog commenters, & all forum members
49 (14.8%)
It should be a contest of skill (describe below)
11 (3.3%)
Something else (describe below)
18 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 323

Author Topic: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?  (Read 101003 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2016, 03:39:58 pm »
My impression was that just the two scopes Dave 'found' had the custom graphics and splashscreen.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2016, 04:18:01 pm »
Since the splashscreen is user customizable, you could get close to making a regular version into an EEVblog one.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline kcozens

• Contributor
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2016, 06:11:54 pm »
If it ends up on eBay, I do not think Keysight will send giveaways to Dave anymore.

If the scope was to end up on eBay it would mean the person who was lucky enough to win the scope didn't really want it so they should not have entered the contest in the first place. Any winner who puts the scope on eBay could find they get a big backlash from other Forum users as their Forum user ID will be announced when the winner is selected.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2016, 11:11:26 pm »
Quote from: kcozens
Quote from: blueskul
If it ends up on eBay, I do not think Keysight will send giveaways to Dave anymore. 
If the scope was to end up on eBay it would mean the person who was lucky enough to win the scope didn't really want it so they should not have entered the contest in the first place. Any winner who puts the scope on eBay could find they get a big backlash from other Forum users as their Forum user ID will be announced when the winner is selected. 
If you followed Dave's contest discussion, and his previous give-aways, you'd find that - the contest is NOT about who deserves it, or who already owns a soldering
iron, or favouritism due to lots of posts, or too few posts ( with min >10 valid). There will definitely be a lot of sniping and b*tching about the winner, whoever it is.
For Keysight - it has definitely achieved it's goal - wide press (Internet) coverage, especially the ones Dave received. Done and dusted.
For EEVBlog - it has definitely achieved it's goal - a huge jump in new members and posts. Even though, a lot will leave, MANY do stay and contribute to the forum,
as has happened in the past. Done and dusted.
Some will be upset that a "newbie" won it, others that it was an "oldie" and they wasted their time joining. Get over it. again, HIS forum, HIS rules.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2016, 12:41:08 am »
My impression was that just the two scopes Dave 'found' had the custom graphics and splashscreen.

The two used scopes found in the dumpster have had the custom graphics applied, and have the boot screen hacked.
I have 5 sets of the custom graphics
My own one now has the black face plate only (you'll see it in a Huxley video shortly) because it's not the 1GHz model, so the number would be wrong.

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2016, 06:01:57 am »

I think I get it.. it’s all in the word ‘found’.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2016, 10:29:02 am »
Your dumpster has so much neat stuff in it, where as the last one near me just had old pallets and builders waste.
Speaking of dumpsters, we've not seen any garbage room finds lately.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2016, 02:03:37 pm »

If the competition had a choice of two prizes. Which the winner(s), can choose between, after wining.

(1)...The scope, as currently offered.

(2)...The equivalent $/£ value of the scope, to spend on a wide range of test equipment, available on keysights, website for your country. Signal generators, power supplies, decent scopes, meters, etc etc.
Massively improving many peoples workbenches.

I bet, at least one entrant would go for option (2).
I probably would, especially if getting the stuff in the UK, meant I had NO tax duties/VAT to pay, etc.

tl;dr
If they sold the scope on ebay, then spent ALL the money on getting a decent, all round, set of test gear and tools/components for their home lab. Some would not consider that too unreasonable.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2016, 08:26:05 pm »
One of more idiotic examples of what happens when you run giveways like this. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=showposts;u=117970 and all that garbage for this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/contests/keysight-scope-giveaway-63957/msg888689/#msg888689

I think that giveaway page should also mention a limit on a registration date, I see more and more people racking up their posts by positing garbage like shown above.

EDIT: And this post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/eevblog-giveaway-contests/msg888687/#msg888687 is a definition of irony :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:29:26 pm by ataradov »
Alex

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2016, 08:55:28 am »
He has been busy for an hour to make those 13 post. It could be worst.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2016, 12:56:18 am »
"As before, active forum members only (minimum post count)"

I couldn't decide at first but after giving it some thought I think this is the best option or else there is no good way of preventing people from signing up with multiple sock-puppet accounts.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:05:33 am by apis »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 05:22:38 am by Brumby »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2016, 08:49:14 am »
I'm thinking about having a scaled voting system. The more posts you have the more entries you get. And if you are in a country not supported by Keysights contest you also get more entries.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2016, 09:12:50 am »
That'd be interesting. The full member list sorted by post count is a quite a long tail. It'd be interesting to see how long the tail is on the subset of qualifying entries.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2016, 11:12:35 am »
Well, that really reinforces the 'active contributor' criteria.

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2016, 12:03:41 pm »
US is in keysight, except NY RI FL

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2016, 12:28:32 pm »
I'm thinking about having a scaled voting system. The more posts you have the more entries you get. And if you are in a country not supported by Keysights contest you also get more entries.
There is simple algorithm to select random entry with predefined weight.
So besically we will cycle through array of user IDs and their records number as a weight coefficient.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2016, 02:52:57 pm »
Given that most people seem to want to enter...

• Pick any random post from, say, the last 12 months
  • Is it generally helpful, supportive, useful, funny, or otherwise a positive contribution to the forum? If not, goto (1)
  • Did whoever posted it actually enter the contest? Again, if not, goto (1)
  • We have a winner!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #193 on: March 13, 2016, 11:51:19 pm »
Well, I've declared my interest - and I'll even save Dave the cost of shipping.  I'll drive over and help him haul it out of the dumpster!  I'm only 15 minutes away (20 in traffic).

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2016, 12:25:06 am »
I'll drive over and help him haul it out of the dumpster!  I'm only 15 minutes away (20 in traffic).

Sorry Brumby, you would be wasting your time! :-DD

I'll have already picked it up - I'll have to leave earlier though, I'm about 40mins away.  :phew:

(I'll still honour our deal though - I'll turn it on and let you know long the splash screen stays on)  ;)
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2016, 12:43:20 am »
We'll see....

(I'll still honour our deal though - I'll turn it on and let you know long the splash screen stays on)  ;)

I already have an answer - from Dave's video on it.  It's around 4 seconds.

But I will verify it for you ...  ;D

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2016, 01:03:24 am »
We'll see....

I already have an answer - from Dave's video on it.  It's around 4 seconds.

But I will verify it for you ...  ;D

Damn you - spoilers!  :rant:

You've taken away all my fun at first turning it on! :)

You'll have more chances than me if Dave goes ahead with extra votes for more active forum members - oh well, have fun with the new (oops, used) toy! :palm:
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline Postal666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2016, 02:32:33 am »

Not that my opinion matters, but...wouldn't this basically destroy us NOOBs chances of ever winning a random drawing?  I mean, you have many "super" contributors on here who's entry numbers would swamp mine, thus making the odds unrealistically low for winning. As far as restricting any Keysight countries...I would think that in those drawings the odds are already horribly low being open to everyone.

IMO everyone in the EEVBlog community should get a fair shake. All the way from the "they already have access to..." down to the "wouldn't know what to do with it..." members. 1 entry, 1 chance. We could even do away with the "useful post" criteria by implementing basic qualifications. For example....you MUST be a registered forum member 24 hrs before Dave's "official" announcement of said contest. Simple, no spammers; no need for Dave to make a judgment call on the winners usefulness.  What, you joined the forum after the announcement because you wanted to win THIS scope? Sorry, but at least you're in for the next giveaway now.

Like I said though, my opinion doesn't meant squat, but I feel that adding bonus points/entry weight, and even usefulness (which I totally agreed with to keep the riff-raff out of the contest) judgment calls aren't the way to go. Adding criteria like that stacks the deck, and completely negates the whole "random" thing. Nothing wrong with entry rules though...

Sign up 24 hrs before announcement, post ONCE to the contest thread, 1 entry, 1 chance. Then when the winning name is drawn it will be fair AND random. Best of luck to all of us that have entered.

In the end, win or lose, it's Dave's world we just live in it. I will happily defer to whatever he choses.  :-+

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2016, 02:54:20 am »
Not that my opinion matters, but...wouldn't this basically destroy us NOOBs chances of ever winning a random drawing?  I mean, you have many "super" contributors on here who's entry numbers would swamp mine, thus making the odds unrealistically low for winning.

Not if it's scaled correctly. e.g. 100 posts gets you an extra entry. 1000 posts gets you two extra entries.

Sign up 24 hrs before announcement, post ONCE to the contest thread, 1 entry, 1 chance. Then when the winning name is drawn it will be fair AND random. Best of luck to all of us that have entered.

So you are in favour of a person joining the forum just to enter the contest, winning it, and then never posting again?

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2016, 02:57:15 am »
They would post again to complain about the tax, surely....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf