Poll

How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?

As before, active forum members only (minimum post count)
195 (58.9%)
As before, active forum members only (NO minimum post count)
58 (17.5%)
Every viewer is equal. Include Youtube commenters, blog commenters, & all forum members
49 (14.8%)
It should be a contest of skill (describe below)
11 (3.3%)
Something else (describe below)
18 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 323

Author Topic: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?  (Read 101053 times)

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
Re: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?
« Reply #225 on: March 17, 2016, 12:51:06 am »
It could be argued that those under 50 should be knocked out?

(Checks my post count is > 50.  Success!)

Yep, Agree!

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2016, 03:09:59 am »
US is in the keysight list, but Florida, New York and Rhoad Island are exceptions, i think it is fare to double chances for them

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #227 on: March 17, 2016, 05:24:00 am »
I don't disagree - but how is Dave to determine this?

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #228 on: March 17, 2016, 05:53:33 am »
I don't disagree - but how is Dave to determine this?
Yes, location in profile in not required field.
Agree it is impossible.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2016, 08:12:14 am »
Just because I don't post much doesn't mean I'm not using the forum.

If you don't post much then you aren't contributing to the forum. You can read it every day, but that's not adding value.

I know some posters who I'd gladly give the scope to for a single comprehensive post, so post cost in this instance is not a good indicator. But in general, post count is the only way to do at a general level.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #230 on: March 17, 2016, 08:15:09 am »
And don't lurkers actually contribute to the advertising value of the forum?

In a way they do, but not nearly as valuable as those who actually contribute.

Offline stejep

• Contributor
« Reply #231 on: March 17, 2016, 11:29:48 am »
I have been reading all these comments and suggestions and am getting sick of it.

Dave, just do want you feel is best and then everyone will just have to live with it.

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #232 on: March 17, 2016, 01:49:20 pm »
I have been reading all these comments and suggestions and am getting sick of it.

Dave, just do want you feel is best and then everyone will just have to live with it.

I don't disagree with you, but you are reading a thread asking for comments and suggestions!

Offline stejep

• Contributor
« Reply #233 on: March 17, 2016, 07:23:16 pm »

I don't disagree with you, but you are reading a thread asking for comments and suggestions!

Yes, but Dave has already posted the rules of the contest and he has also closed the contest, so I see its up to him now.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #234 on: March 18, 2016, 12:06:10 am »
The draw hasn't been made yet, so appropriate suggestions are still relevant.

I'm only guessing here - but I think Dave will have had more than adequate experience to develop broad enough shoulders to take all the suggestions in his stride.  Doesn't mean he'll take them up.  Doesn't mean he'll ignore them.

How ever the draw is run, there will be 637 people who will not win a scope.  Please, let there be no daggers drawn.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #235 on: March 18, 2016, 12:55:12 am »
Take 3 electronic devices (including scopes) and blow them up.  Use high voltages, currents, explosives, etc.

Use a stopwatch and time their life.  Use the "tenth of a second" digit as a digit.

For example:

Unit No. 1  took  2 min 23.3 secs to blow up (or stop working)  so we have a "3"
This is our first number.

Unit No. 2  (could be a multimeter with 5,000 volts applied)  takes 0.1 sec (really just the reaction time).  So we have "1"

Unit No. 3 gives us a "5"

So member 315 (from the list) wins  :-DD

Just make lots of smoke  :-+
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2016, 09:49:05 pm »
1. Solder 10 caps to a PCB and number them from 0 to 9. Point the HS camera at it, and apply way to much voltage in the wrong polarity.
2. Repeat twice to get tens and hundreds.
3. Draw winner and evaculate lab before the neighbours notice the smell.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #237 on: March 19, 2016, 12:18:23 am »
Don't know how practical some of these suggestions are - but they are entertaining and creative.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #238 on: March 19, 2016, 03:11:28 am »
Don't know how practical some of these suggestions are - but they are entertaining and creative.

I'll admit mine isn't practical, as we all know Dave had very little luck getting caps to explode properly.
Parallel strings of LEDs would work better, slowly wind up the voltage, the friode denotes the winner.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #239 on: March 19, 2016, 05:02:27 am »
Print out my username 800 times. Put all the prints into a fish bowl. Pull my name out on camera. Announce that rx8pilot has won the prize.

Right? Seems so easy. I will fly to AU to pickup, shake hands, and be very grateful.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #240 on: March 19, 2016, 06:08:17 am »
I know Dave is considering weighting the entries ... but that's taking it a bit too far, I think.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2016, 06:37:34 am »
Buckleys chance of that happening there.........

The scope will be coming to me!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2016, 06:53:53 am »
I know Dave is considering weighting the entries ... but that's taking it a bit too far, I think.
Really?

To quote Dave's reply a day or so ago:

If you don't post much then you aren't contributing to the forum. You can read it every day, but that's not adding value.

I know some posters who I'd gladly give the scope to for a single comprehensive post, so post cost in this instance is not a good indicator. But in general, post count is the only way to do at a general level.

And

Doesn't this imply contribution to the forum is ranked high in Dave's view, I think it does and it does IMO too.
Isn't the knowledge base of the experienced members valuable to the forum?
You bet it is and it's the main reason behind my input into this thread in reply #28.

If the occasional prize/gift becomes available to those that have had a significant input, why's that a bad thing?  :-//

Wouldn't it be an incentive for those that have not joined or their post count is low to further share their wisdom and improve the forum more?

It would seem there'll be a few goodies up for grabs in the near future and I don't see why Dave wouldn't want to reward someone that has made significant contributions with maybe some of the spoils in his goodies bag.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline RobertoLG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #243 on: March 19, 2016, 08:11:36 am »

I wish you good luck, I hope you get it  :-+

Offline Ivan7enych

• Regular Contributor
    • My astronomy projects
« Reply #244 on: March 19, 2016, 09:03:49 am »

Some forums have an option to mark everybody post as positive (to mark it as useful to you). That count of positive marks would be a more adequate indicator of a user contribution. For example somebody write a good review and post it in a single post, and receive 100 positive marks. Another guy floods the forum with complains on its device, he will have 1000 posts and no positive marks... Of cource it's not ideal and can be spoiled with creating many fake accounts to add many positive marks, so there must be some limitations...

I belong to moderators team in big russian astronomy forum,
here is my thread of repairs, constructions...
http://www.astronomy.ru/forum/index.php/topic,87109.0.html

We have both positive and negative (most questionable thing) reputation counts, once in 2-3 years we had a big discussion do we need the users reputation marks, usualy many people screaming loud on a forum - remove it!, and always the vote shows the 70% users want to see the reputation, want to know can they trust to the user's words...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:16:14 am by Ivan7enych »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2016, 09:27:00 am »
It would seem there'll be a few goodies up for grabs in the near future and I don't see why Dave wouldn't want to reward someone that has made significant contributions with maybe some of the spoils in his goodies bag.

If you mean something like an annual "best and fairest" award to a contributing member then I say that's a great idea. It might help improve the forum for everyone and get people participating.
Yep, wilfred, that would work for me.  :-+
Of course I don't need a scope, got them shoved in cupboards and all over the place.  :scared:
Shhh, don't tell her.  ;)

Some forums have an option to mark everybody post as positive (to mark it as useful to you). That count of positive marks would be a more adequate indicator of a user contribution. For example somebody write a good review and post it in a single post, and receive 100 positive marks. Another guy floods the forum with complains on its device, he will have 1000 posts and no positive marks... Of cource it's not ideal and can be spoiled with creating many fake accounts to add many positive marks, so there must be some limitations...

I belong to moderators team in big russian astronomy forum,
here is my thread of repairs, constructions...
http://www.astronomy.ru/forum/index.php/topic,87109.0.html

We have both positive and negative (most questionable thing) reputation counts, once in 2-3 years we had a big discussion do we need the users reputation marks, usualy many people screaming loud on a forum - remove it!, and always the vote shows the 70% users want to see the reputation, want to know can they trust to the user's words...
Another  (not electronic) forum I belong to uses "Likes" and while that might be useful to administrators to gauge "quality/quantity of contributions", IMO the forum itself should be able to vote/nominate the members that have offered the most help, isn't that the reason we join, to seek advice?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2016, 09:37:50 am »
I'm only here to steal some jokes, then I'm off like a shot....... :popcorn:

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #247 on: March 19, 2016, 10:01:33 am »

+1, if winners is voted by members, actually I have 3 other forum members as nominees, and SeanB is one of them.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #248 on: March 19, 2016, 10:51:34 am »

+1, if winners is voted by members, actually I have 3 other forum members as nominees, and SeanB is one of them.

Trying to think why me, but thanks anyway for the vote of confidence.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #249 on: March 19, 2016, 10:53:40 am »
Really?

To quote Dave's reply a day or so ago:

And

Doesn't this imply contribution to the forum is ranked high in Dave's view, I think it does and it does IMO too.
Isn't the knowledge base of the experienced members valuable to the forum?
You bet it is and it's the main reason behind my input into this thread in reply #28.

If the occasional prize/gift becomes available to those that have had a significant input, why's that a bad thing?  :-//

Wouldn't it be an incentive for those that have not joined or their post count is low to further share their wisdom and improve the forum more?

You seem to have completely missed the context of my post.

It was in response to the post immediately preceding it, namely:
Print out my username 800 times. Put all the prints into a fish bowl. Pull my name out on camera. Announce that rx8pilot has won the prize.

Right? Seems so easy. I will fly to AU to pickup, shake hands, and be very grateful.

I don't think my response was out of line in any way, shape or form - unless I missed something...???

We all know rx8pilot has a deep desire (and declared need) for such a scope, but ......
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:55:12 am by Brumby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf