Poll

How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?

As before, active forum members only (minimum post count)
195 (58.9%)
As before, active forum members only (NO minimum post count)
58 (17.5%)
Every viewer is equal. Include Youtube commenters, blog commenters, & all forum members
49 (14.8%)
It should be a contest of skill (describe below)
11 (3.3%)
Something else (describe below)
18 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 323

Author Topic: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?  (Read 101008 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?
« Reply #275 on: April 12, 2016, 12:23:42 am »
Absolutely!

(Let me dream a little .....)

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #276 on: April 12, 2016, 12:37:42 am »
BWD 830 with manual and probes exchange offer still stands.

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #277 on: April 12, 2016, 03:44:03 am »

Have I missed something?

Why should be the live video draw interesting for someone in Germany?              :-//
Germany is the one and only country worldwide that had been excluded!     :--
As said: Obviously are some countries more equal than others. Lesson learned...  :o

Therefore applies (at least) for me:

"Was auch passiert:
Nie dürft ihr so tief sinken,
von dem Kakao,
durch den man euch zieht,
auch noch zu trinken..."

(Erich Kästner)

"Whatever happens:
Never allow yourself to sink so low,
from the cocoa,
you had been pulled,
even to drink."

(Erich Kaestner)

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #278 on: April 12, 2016, 06:56:02 am »
Quote from: SeanB on Yesterday at 20:43:51
Saturday 16 April at 9AM Sydney time.

Will be 1AM for me, will have to either stay up or set a loud alarm.

01:00 here too. It's time to party.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #279 on: April 12, 2016, 08:46:24 am »
Thanks all, clear now. Let's see if I am not too old to stay up to 1am  :)

Have I missed something?
Why should be the live video draw interesting for someone in Germany?              :-//
Germany is the one and only country worldwide that had been excluded!     :--
You are probably mixing up the official Keysight giveaway where indeed also the Netherlands was excluded (rediculous but explained in other topics) and the Dave Keysight container find forum giveaway, which this is all about. Now who wants a brand new Keysight scope when he can get a real Dave's eevblog scope, hopefull with some nice Eevblog sticker on it :-+

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2016, 10:02:42 am »
You are probably mixing up the official Keysight giveaway where indeed also the Netherlands was excluded (rediculous but explained in other topics) and the Dave Keysight container find forum giveaway, which this is all about.

I now have a spreadsheet of the names, countries, and number of posts after I culled those under 10 posts and a few from troublesome Germany.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #281 on: April 12, 2016, 02:05:42 pm »
This is really hard to translate...

cocoa = hot chocolate

To "pull someone through hot chocolate" = making fun of someone.

So, if someone makes fun of you "pulling you through hot chocolate", whatever happens, never get so low to drink of it as well.

Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

The following users thanked this post: wilfred

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #282 on: April 12, 2016, 02:07:32 pm »
"Durch den Kakao gezogen" => "pulled through hot chocolate" means "to be humiliated".
The whole meaning is:
You should never allow, to be a participiant of your own humiliation.

Probably someone can make a much better translation.

The following users thanked this post: wilfred

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #283 on: April 12, 2016, 02:10:49 pm »
This is really hard to translate...

cocoa = hot chocolate

To "pull someone through hot chocolate" = making fun of someone.

So, if someone makes fun of you "pulling you through hot chocolate", whatever happens, never get so low to drink of it as well.

OK.  Now it makes sense - but that not an expression I've ever heard before...

... but I'll never forget it now!

Online igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
« Reply #284 on: April 12, 2016, 03:22:44 pm »
And give up on perfectly good German chocolate? It's just like "when life gives you lemons", except with chocolate  :D
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #285 on: April 12, 2016, 05:35:01 pm »
Germany excluded because Dave does not like, really does not like, absolutely does not like, some might even say detests, and possibly with good reason, German Customs, who like the "Papieren Bitte!" to be Teutonically correct, with every single little mark in the correct space, all the additional documentation they can pull out of the crypt of the filing and customs system, the category to be absolutely and utterly correct on each and every item, including the paper and ink used on the documentation, the cover page, the alignment of said cover page to be within 1mm of the KorreKt location on the parcel, which has to be an approved box, made with the correct paper pulp, and with the correct packaging inserts and sealed with the correct tape, applied the correct way, and then they will charge duty and such on it, and send it back uncollected.

Might just be that.....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #286 on: April 12, 2016, 11:00:45 pm »
While I don't recall Dave being so specific, that's definitely the vibe.

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #287 on: April 12, 2016, 11:59:45 pm »
Germany excluded because Dave does not like, really does not like, absolutely does not like, some might even say detests, and possibly with good reason, German Customs, who like the "Papieren Bitte!" to be Teutonically correct, with every single little mark in the correct space, all the additional documentation they can pull out of the crypt of the filing and customs system, the category to be absolutely and utterly correct on each and every item, including the paper and ink used on the documentation, the cover page, the alignment of said cover page to be within 1mm of the KorreKt location on the parcel, which has to be an approved box, made with the correct paper pulp, and with the correct packaging inserts and sealed with the correct tape, applied the correct way, and then they will charge duty and such on it, and send it back uncollected.

Might just be that.....

I don't understand - could you be a bit more specific please?  :-DD :-DD
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline Hobby73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #288 on: April 13, 2016, 06:23:43 am »
I'm a new forum member and I didn't even realize you gave items away until I just saw your recent video announcement.  I think it's great you're doing this, but given the cost and hassles of shipping a piece of equipment to another country I would make things easy for yourself and donate it to a local school in your town.  Maybe set an expectation that their students will use it on some project and post their results on the forum. 

I don't want to discourage the giveaways, it makes participating in this forum even more fun. Even one of your customized shirts would be great to receive in the mail and would be more reasonable for you to do.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #289 on: April 13, 2016, 08:40:35 am »
That is the same discussion as in the Keysigh give away. School need simple cheap scopes , like the Rigol or 100MHz ones. Not a GHz scope,it is overkill.
You don't give a ferrari to driver schools now do you  :)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #290 on: April 13, 2016, 11:25:43 am »
Absolutely correct.

... and why such a high-end scope?  Because Keysight MAKE them.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #291 on: April 13, 2016, 03:46:00 pm »
We had no idea that it would be an issue to give away a higher BW scope.  Next scope month we'll make sure to use lower list price scopes.

Offline Hobby73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #292 on: April 13, 2016, 04:27:13 pm »
If the manufacturer is giving away their equipment, especially high end equipment, that's great.  They have the resources to handle all the shipping logistics. 

My previous comment was to save Dave the cost of shipping.  And according to Dave it is a well-used scope, not a brand new one.  So may not be overkill for a local school.  And don't underestimate today's students ... they are more industrious than you might think!

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #293 on: April 13, 2016, 05:00:20 pm »
We had no idea that it would be an issue to give away a higher BW scope.  Next scope month we'll make sure to use lower list price scopes.

For small/medium businesses  - the high-end prizes are the only draw. If the contest only included entry-level scopes, it will primarily be interesting to hobbyists. I wold hope that instead of lowering the bar, the effort would be spent engaging the people that have a commercial requirement and financial capability for the bigger prizes.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #294 on: April 13, 2016, 08:25:07 pm »

For small/medium businesses  - the high-end prizes are the only draw. If the contest only included entry-level scopes, it will primarily be interesting to hobbyists. I wold hope that instead of lowering the bar, the effort would be spent engaging the people that have a commercial requirement and financial capability for the bigger prizes.

That was pretty much the way my opinion has been forming. I have this vision of the prize either being locked away never to be touched except in very rare circumstances or sitting on a bench with an Arduino: in either case it would be a trophy piece where a 1/50th value item would work perfectly well. And as for those $5.8k a piece 6 gig diff probes? I really want to cry!

Having said that Scopemonth must be one of the most, if not -the- most talked about EE promotion there's ever been, and part of that is the sheer value of prizes. Certainly on my various telecons and meetings when I've mentioned it on AOB, it's generally led to meeting overrun while attendees get their mobes out and look it up. In that respect, brand and equipment awareness must be a positive. How that is actually measured in terms of conversion rate or other KPIs I don't know, marketing's not my line of expertise!

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #295 on: April 13, 2016, 08:40:34 pm »
That is the same discussion as in the Keysigh give away. School need simple cheap scopes , like the Rigol or 100MHz ones. Not a GHz scope,it is overkill.
You don't give a ferrari to driver schools now do you  :)

now a days with all these GHz stuff we exposed to a even a 500Mhz scope looks feels like DC! I do agree send those freshmen Rigol 1052e.

This give away feels more more like Lord of The Rings, who is be next in line to be corrupted by its power.. so many Smeagols.  :-DD       

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #296 on: April 13, 2016, 10:20:37 pm »

We won't do exclusively low cost scopes, but we haven't worked out details for next year yet.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #297 on: April 14, 2016, 12:29:28 am »
It seems to me that the methodology that Keysight settled on was a good balance. The buzz was over the fact that high-end equipment was being given away. This works great for publicity and for winners in countries where winning is free. However, for those of us in countries where free is taxed :o, the option to downgrade is a welcome alternative.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #298 on: April 14, 2016, 03:03:26 am »

I don't see the problem. If I won a 1Ghz scope and was unable to accept it because of tax (or guilt, fear, complexity), can I not ask Keysight for a cheaper model instead? Maybe win the right to select from a list, like I did with my "buy 2 meters get a third free", i picked from a list up to a certain value, didn't even need to be the same type of meter.

I applaud Keysight, except for excluding Australia from Scope month.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #299 on: April 14, 2016, 03:54:02 am »
I applaud Keysight, except for excluding Australia from Scope month.

I would have said: I applaud Keysight, except for not including Australia from Scope month.

It wasn't as if they made the decision to toss out Aussies.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf