Poll

How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?

As before, active forum members only (minimum post count)
195 (58.9%)
As before, active forum members only (NO minimum post count)
58 (17.5%)
Every viewer is equal. Include Youtube commenters, blog commenters, & all forum members
49 (14.8%)
It should be a contest of skill (describe below)
11 (3.3%)
Something else (describe below)
18 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 323

Author Topic: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?  (Read 101020 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: How Should The EEVblog Giveaway be Run?
« Reply #300 on: April 14, 2016, 03:59:43 am »
We had no idea that it would be an issue to give away a higher BW scope.  Next scope month we'll make sure to use lower list price scopes.

For small/medium businesses  - the high-end prizes are the only draw. If the contest only included entry-level scopes, it will primarily be interesting to hobbyists. I wold hope that instead of lowering the bar, the effort would be spent engaging the people that have a commercial requirement and financial capability for the bigger prizes.

We won't do exclusively low cost scopes, but we haven't worked out details for next year yet.

I would encourage any manufacturer to offer a flagship product in promotions such as these.  It will get the attention of ANYBODY in the market for a similar product - and what's more, it will start people on the path of thinking about one sitting on their bench.  Remember, even in big companies, the desire and decision for such equipment are made by people.  (Unfortunately for the technician, it's rarely the same person.)

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #301 on: April 14, 2016, 07:40:45 am »
I agree.  Anything less than a 1GHz scope from a firm like Keysight seems a bit unimpressive.   Perhaps working out in advance a clear policy for each country and a clear list of alternative prizes to send the winner would avoid the "upset winner' phenomenon, while still exciting the rest of us who haven't yet won.

Offline broz

• Regular Contributor
  • Pronounced like the "bros." in "Super Mario bros."
    • My Wordpress Page
« Reply #302 on: April 14, 2016, 03:58:33 pm »
We had no idea that it would be an issue to give away a higher BW scope.  Next scope month we'll make sure to use lower list price scopes.
Please don't!!! If I would have been lucky enough to win, I would have done whatever it took to come up with the taxes and shipping so that I could take the high end scope...but maybe that's just me... :-//
Slowly but surely making my way through EE school

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #303 on: April 14, 2016, 05:30:18 pm »
Daniel,

I concur with broz. Not everyone is like those few who made a big fuss over the burden of winning. I'd venture to guess that most folks here would have figured out how to make things work, graciously declined the prize, or simply not entered in the first place.

Just as there will always be naysayers to even the best of intentions, there will be those who don't have the will, experience, nor imagination to cope with a windfall. Hopefully, that doesn't ruin the prospects for another drool-worthy giveaway next year.

rch's point about providing more information about what winning would entail would be helpful. Of course, some people will still moan about how miserable it is to win.  :o
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #304 on: April 14, 2016, 05:31:54 pm »
Feedback noted!

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, bitseeker, rch, broz

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #305 on: April 14, 2016, 06:51:13 pm »
Possibly there could be two streams of entry, those working via formally registered companies and the personal entries: realistically speaking, there are very few private users who realistically would benefit from more than 100 or 200MHz of bandwidth.

While it's true that speeds are continually increasing, a 500MHz scope is still a serious workhorse in any lab I've been in (except perhaps in the ones frequented by a well known LeCroy aficionado!). Easily 90% of the stuff I do could be done on the Rigol MSO1074Z I use for field work, it decodes and triggers on 50MHz SPI busses well enough for example, but I much prefer the UIs and screens on the MSO3054A and/or MSO7104B that are already set up on the bench. It is just those small minority if times where I need anything more when probing high-speed busses for signal integrity, and for that it's the big iron 54121T 20GHz sampling scope. While it would be nice to have a modern real time 20GHz scope, there are many other things ahead of that purchase!

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #306 on: April 14, 2016, 09:44:04 pm »
For next years effort I nominate myself as the model winner.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #307 on: April 14, 2016, 10:02:50 pm »
I believe people are getting things mixed up.  There are TWO scope contests going on now, and both are for Keysight scopes (different models)

Both are going to announce winners this weekend.

This topic is about Dave's drawing.

Dave is having his own drawing and Keysight is having their own Facebook contest.
I still would like to see a chickenshit drawing and it would be fair.

I believe Dave's is a 6k used (by him) scope and Keysight's scope is around the price of an airplane.

Different animals.  But funny anyway.  I think Dave's will be a fair drawing, whereas Keysight's will not be (sorry Carlos).  But I learned a lot about FB contests.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #308 on: April 14, 2016, 10:22:50 pm »
I don't think anyone's mixed up, the thread just morphed a little.

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #309 on: April 15, 2016, 11:02:42 pm »
Does anyone have the correct link, this one shows off- air  :-//
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/eev-blog

Offline SnoopKatt

• Contributor
« Reply #310 on: April 15, 2016, 11:04:36 pm »

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #311 on: April 15, 2016, 11:05:35 pm »
Thanks, good luck to all of you participating  :-+

Offline ade

• Supporter
« Reply #312 on: April 15, 2016, 11:09:10 pm »
YouTube link now live:

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #313 on: April 15, 2016, 11:34:54 pm »
Congratulations to all the winners, I am back to bed   :=\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf