Poll

Should the EEVblog giveaway be limited to only those countries NOT covered by the Scope Month promo?

Yes
140 (41.8%)
No
137 (40.9%)
Don't Care
58 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 318

Author Topic: POLL & Discussion: Keysight 1000X Giveaway  (Read 38996 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
POLL & Discussion: Keysight 1000X Giveaway
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:17:11 am »
So I have a couple to giveaway, and the usual argument has come up again. Should I just limit the forum giveaway to countries not covered the Keysight Scopemonth promo, or to everyone?
Remember that Keysight are giving away 5 scopes per day for a month.
Argue away...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:46:45 am by EEVblog »

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
Re: Keysight 1000X Giveaway
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:20:55 am »
From a country (Sweden) that is not covered, it seems to help rebalance the fairness. Ultimately it is just nice to have a chance, even if the chance is 1 in a lot or 1 in slightly fewer!

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 09:30:32 am »
+1 to what Tim said, my feelings exactly.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 09:31:48 am »
As much as I'd like to think I might win one, I think it's fair to go with countries not covered.
Gone for good

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:42:25 am »
Shipping to Melbourne is of course much cheaper Dave.  ;)

Offline magnehh

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:50:11 am »
I'm just happy to have a chance really. But since there are two scopes in this competition, and a lot more in the other one, I vote Yes.

Offline voltlog

• Regular Contributor
    • VoltLog
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 09:53:14 am »
You cannot right a wrong by committing another wrong. Everyone should be able to participate IMHO.

The following users thanked this post: Sbampato12, station240, TheDane

Offline TNb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 10:03:44 am »
I am not really sure if they limit anything, do they? When applying for scope month you can choose "Other country" and write wherever you are from. So I suppose they are fine with every country but some customs/shipping can be more difficult in those that are not on the list. I am not sure, but if they would want to strictly limit they would not have "Other country" option.

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 10:09:59 am »
I am not really sure if they limit anything, do they? When applying for scope month you can choose "Other country" and write wherever you are from. So I suppose they are fine with every country but some customs/shipping can be more difficult in those that are not on the list. I am not sure, but if they would want to strictly limit they would not have "Other country" option.

Unfortunately, from the Scope Month 2017 Megathread:

I managed to get an entry in even though my country is not listed (Belgium). It got it in under "Other(my country is not listed)". Is that entry then forwarded to the nearest virtual garbage bin? Or will this actually do something?

I'm not 100% sure what that is about, but if your country is not in the T&Cs you won't be winning a scope in the sweepstakes.

The following users thanked this post: nowlan, moz

Offline TNb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 10:24:42 am »
By the way is this topic only about forum giveaway? Because on youtube 95% of people don't even write their country,so it is impossible to check until you contact a winner.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 10:30:09 am »
By the way is this topic only about forum giveaway? Because on youtube 95% of people don't even write their country,so it is impossible to check until you contact a winner.

Just the forum.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 10:32:00 am »
Dave, you should rename the thread title.

When I saw the thread's title for the 1st time, my fingers muscle memory typed in .. "I'm in" ...  :-DD

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 10:35:12 am »
Higher chance of me winning, so yes!

Non-eligible countries only.

Offline vpetrog

• Contributor
  • ECE Student
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 10:40:37 am »
i' m also in favour of giving away the scopes in the countries not covered by keysight. However in case the shipping cost is too much, you can ask the winner for total/partial shipping contribution.
My first OSH project ArduGen
https://hackaday.io/project/19134-ardugen

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
Re: POLL & Discussion: Keysight 1000X Giveaway
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 10:56:34 am »
Sounds fair to me to include only those countries who are ineligible for the main Keysight giveaway.
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 11:00:27 am »
How about this (sorry, not sure if this was already posted, didnt read the entire thread before posting):

People from any country allowed to win can enter. But they can also act as a proxy for someone who is in a country not on the list.

People in countries on the list can post a second entry in the competition stating they are willing to be a proxy, and a prospective winner can PM that proxy. The proxy then updates their post with the name of the person they are proxying for.

The two just have to nut out their own terms for postage, customs charges etc, perhaps with some ground rules (like registered/trackable post, and proof of postage through receipts etc with address, so no sneaky "oh sure I sent it, must have got lost" but kept it for themselves).

This way no one loses out.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 11:05:58 am »
I voted for ineligible countries only due to the very high number of scopes and chances that are available to those in eligible ones, there's generally a madness in my method but not this time around.   ::) :P

Almost 3000 comments already in the Youtube video was a bit of a shock to the system, I'm hedging my bets so I left a comment just in case, after seeing the Keysight 1000X taking out a lottery ticket is also on the cards.   :-+ :)

Offline Andrey_irk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 11:16:57 am »
Keysight has some problems with giving away their equipment in some countries as long as I remember they said.
And maybe they don't want to include Russia in their list, because the notorious russian post will lose everything :) But lets try...

Offline TNb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 11:39:46 am »
How about this (sorry, not sure if this was already posted, didnt read the entire thread before posting):

People from any country allowed to win can enter. But they can also act as a proxy for someone who is in a country not on the list.

People in countries on the list can post a second entry in the competition stating they are willing to be a proxy, and a prospective winner can PM that proxy. The proxy then updates their post with the name of the person they are proxying for.

The two just have to nut out their own terms for postage, customs charges etc, perhaps with some ground rules (like registered/trackable post, and proof of postage through receipts etc with address, so no sneaky "oh sure I sent it, must have got lost" but kept it for themselves).

This way no one loses out.
I suppose you are talking about official Keysight scope month, that makes sense, but for Dave's forum giveaway its just about making more fair contest. It would be nice if Keysight would implements such idea, but I think it is too late now I suppose.

Offline modrobert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 11:46:00 am »
i' m also in favour of giving away the scopes in the countries not covered by keysight. However in case the shipping cost is too much, you can ask the winner for total/partial shipping contribution.

Good idea!

The winners might want to decide shipping method anyway, especially in some countries with corrupt customs handling.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 11:53:07 am »
You're audience and scope is the forum so IMO all the forum members should be able to participate.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 12:05:05 pm »
Keysight's limitations are said to have something to do with import/export laws, shipping regulations, and/or laws regulating gambling or other games of chance (e.g., in effect the giveaway is a lottery).   That probably explains why residents of the states of New York, Florida, and Rhode Island are excluded, while residents of the rest of the USA are included. In response to whatever factors are involved in that decision, it has been suggested that EEVBlog limit its giveaways to those who can't participate in the Keysight giveaway.

1)  Unfortunately, no one has explained how such arbitrary discrimination by EEVBlog will rectify the legitimate discrimination of the Keysight giveaway, except for a rather obtuse concept of "fairness." Taking that concept a little further, if Dave wants to be really "fair," he must willing to ship technical equipment to members living in any of the excluded countries, including those under UN sanctions, those in war zones, and those in which there has been a complete breakdown of civil law, even if such shipment is in violation of laws of Australia or the recipient's residence (e.g., New York, USA)?

It seems odd that a perceived unfairness committed by one entity in response to obeying the law(s) can be rectified by another entity that is willing to break the laws. 

Despite Dave's best intentions, it is a pretty good bet that he will obey existing laws, and there will still be people who cannot participate for the very same reasons cited by Keysight for its exclusions. 

2)  Keysight is giving away oscilloscopes.   Is EEVBlog is anticipating also giving away comparable oscilloscopes?  How can it possibly be fair to exclude someone who is eligible to get a brand new, worthless piece of Keysight junk from getting a valuable piece of hardware from Dave (with or without the warranty sticker intact).  ;)

Finally, to reiterate what has already been said, two wrongs do not make a right.

John

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:07:47 pm by jpanhalt »

Offline Sbampato12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 12:18:18 pm »
I voted wrong.....  |O

I should selected NO, but choosed Don't care...

Even as someone from a country not covered by Keysight, I really don't think you should limit the entries. If it is possible, keep everyone on equals chances, at least around here (forum).

Offline modrobert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 12:19:45 pm »
It seems odd that a perceived unfairness committed by one entity in response to obeying the law(s) can be rectified by another entity that is willing to break the laws.

You are forgetting something, each country in the world is sovereign with their own laws. Whatever Dave decides to do only has to comply with laws in Australia, the laws in USA are irrelevant in this case.

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 12:25:00 pm »
I suppose you are talking about official Keysight scope month

I am talking about Daves giveaway.

Keysight have stated they have legal constraints with certain countries (or even states within a country), and no amount of shoe horning around the issue is going to make those go away - infact it could land them in trouble for doing so. A legal restriction is a legal restriction no matter how clever you think you can get. A sad, unfortunate aspect of life.

Dave, as seemingly some kind of official partner for this giveaway, may be constrained similarly. Or maybe not, I am no lawyer.

But an individual sending a package is certainly less likely to have such an issue, provided there are no restrictions on the material they are shipping and/or the destination.

I would certainly love to win a scope, Ive never had one, have been looking at buying one, and Im working on some projects at the moment where no doubt one could come in handy. But as much as I am concerned with my own interests, I'd be willing to help someone else with a chance to win one too (unless winning proceeds of this kind of competition by proxy is also prohibited....?).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:29:44 pm by TomS_ »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf