Poll

Should the EEVblog giveaway be limited to only those countries NOT covered by the Scope Month promo?

Yes
140 (41.8%)
No
137 (40.9%)
Don't Care
58 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 318

Author Topic: POLL & Discussion: Keysight 1000X Giveaway  (Read 38990 times)

Offline testian

• Regular Contributor
Re: POLL & Discussion: Keysight 1000X Giveaway
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 12:37:41 pm »
The Giveaway should be for all your forum members and i would not exclude anyone.

Here is a list which country is included in the keysight giveaway:
Country list from their website:
    Austria
    Canada
    Chile
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Ireland
    Japan
    Korea
    New Zealand
    Poland
    South Africa
    Switzerland
    Taiwan
    United Kingdom
    United States
    Venezuela
    (other)

Terms & Conditions:
This promotion is limited to specific countries and is only open to entrants aged 18 years or older at the time of submission who are legal residents of, and physically located within Austria, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Poland, South Africa, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States (excluding Florida, New York, and Rhode Island), and Venezuela.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:46:05 pm by testian »

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 12:49:42 pm »
Keysight's limitations are said to have something to do with import/export laws, shipping regulations, and/or laws regulating gambling or other games of chance (e.g., in effect the giveaway is a lottery). 
Sorry this is just BS. They have an actual R&D center here. Sure they have huge trouble ship anyhting there. They develop everything by banging rocks together. And the lottery here is an underground thing, you need to go to dark alleys, and talk to strange people.
It's just the usual USA "I cannot be bothered to look up your law, so instead I dont do business with you, you are insignificant anyway" infuriating mentality.

Offline neil t

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 12:52:14 pm »
Regardless of the obvious benefits (I'm in Oz) its an eevblog giveaway ,so in my mind that really sets the guidelines. although I'm in Newcastle I could almost limp to Sydney from here if I roll down a few hills on the way.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 12:56:35 pm »
It's just the usual USA "I cannot be bothered to look up your law, so instead I dont do business with you, you are insignificant anyway" infuriating mentality.

I call bullshit on that.  They seem to have looked up enough laws in enough countries to put up a list of eligible countries.

Let ma ask you a question: Have you looked up your laws on this subject?

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 01:00:57 pm »
2)  Keysight is giving away oscilloscopes.   Is EEVBlog is anticipating also giving away comparable oscilloscopes?

Wow.
Just.
Wow.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 01:13:52 pm »
(excluding Florida, New York, and Rhode Island)
Why is New York excluded?  :-- :-//

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 01:15:42 pm »

My bet - which isn't much of a gamble - is that it's going to be because of the state laws regarding promotions of this nature.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 01:21:41 pm »
Here is my sense of fairness:
  • If we are talking about Keysight giveaways, but redistributed through EEVblog, then EEVblog should allow only the countries forbidden in the original daily Keysight giveaway.
  • If the EEvblog giveaways are procured from a source other then the original daily Keysight giveaway, then all the countries should be allowed.

Later Edit:
I just saw Dave's new video, now, how do I take my vote back?  |O
Only the forbidden countries should have access to Dave's dumpster!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:39:32 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline Arielo

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 01:24:43 pm »
I live in a country where used scopes are either inexistent or priced almost at the same price as new equipment, and new equipment is more expensive than anywere else in the world, but it wouldn't be faire to people in "Keysight eligible countries" not to participate in this poll.

It would be nice, though, that if the winner already has an scope, to "donate" this scope to be polled again, so the prize would go to someone who actually needs a scope.

I've never won anything on a poll, and even though I would like the extra chances of winning, it wouldn't be fair to exlude others, even if they have more options or chances to win a scope. Just because you sign up for two polls doesn't mean you will actually win one.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 01:27:17 pm »

My bet - which isn't much of a gamble - is that it's going to be because of the state laws regarding promotions of this nature.
That's a bummer, I have family over there.
a well, I maybe can contact some friends in new zealand...  ;D ^-^

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2017, 01:28:48 pm »
a well, I maybe can contact some friends in new zealand...  ;D ^-^

There you go.   :-+

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2017, 01:36:29 pm »
Agilent's err... Keysight's policy of only allowing  a few countries to join their contest is a real drag.
If they really want to support  EE's, wherever they may be, they should allow every one to enlist in the draw. As most likely publicity is the engine driving this initiative, that's not  something that's going to change.

That's where the EEV Forum comes in (in my opinion). So, again, because any and every EE deserves their fair chance, I think  all the countries should enter the forum giveaway

Free test gear for everyone  :-+

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2017, 01:48:45 pm »

I call bullshit on that.  They seem to have looked up enough laws in enough countries to put up a list of eligible countries.

Let ma ask you a question: Have you looked up your laws on this subject?
You know, what? Not really. I dont make draws.
But I did it now anyway. Here it is:

Prize Draws – Can a promotion be run where there is an
element of chance in the selection of the winner and where
a prize is awarded?
Lawful, provided:
(a) participants have an active involvement (i.e. physical or intellectual effort). If no active
participation is required, the contest is to be considered a prohibited lottery (Note: a company
can organise a lottery in collaboration with and through a not-for-profit organisation that has
obtained a licence from one of the competent public authorities but this is likely to substantially
increase the cost of the promotion).
AND
(b) a licence is obtained from the Belgian Gaming Commission (required both for the offline
and online offering of games of chance)
OR, if case (b) is not applicable:
(c) participants do not pay to enter
So same as doing the 1+1 math exam, like the Canadians.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2017, 01:49:03 pm »

Offline olewales

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2017, 01:53:33 pm »
On the one hand the eevblog forum community is not (exactly) the same set of people who will take part in scopemoth giveaways but on the other I would not feel in any way bad if forum giveaway was region-restricted. AgilentKeysight will give 125 of them away to a somewhat limited list of countries. The overall probability of winning for people living there may even be bigger on a Keysight website than in a forum raffle.

If you feel that it is the right thing to do, go for it.

Offline ChrisGreece52

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Engineer - Hacker - Nerd
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2017, 02:11:59 pm »
So by writing this comment i am eligible for this giveaway?

Offline mikeys

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2017, 02:14:13 pm »
I'm in a country covered by the normal giveaway, I reckon you should just cover the excluded ones. Makes it a little bit more fair. There's plenty to go around on the full competition, not very many here.

The following users thanked this post: nzc

Offline testian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2017, 02:40:53 pm »
So by writing this comment i am eligible for this giveaway?
The eevblog giveaway will be in another thread, like the ones before, as spoon as Dave knows who will be eligible for the giveaway.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2017, 04:13:03 pm »
Keysight's limitations are said to have something to do with import/export laws, shipping regulations, and/or laws regulating gambling or other games of chance (e.g., in effect the giveaway is a lottery). 
Sorry this is just BS. They have an actual R&D center here. Sure they have huge trouble ship anyhting there. They develop everything by banging rocks together. And the lottery here is an underground thing, you need to go to dark alleys, and talk to strange people.

That's not it, we actually did some extra looking into Belgium specifically after a couple people commented on it during Cyberweek and there's nothing we were able to do. From a logical standpoint, the number of interested people is roughly proportional to the amount of business in a country is roughly proportional to the number of Scope Month entries. It doesn't hurt us to include more countries, the decision is based purely on legality.

Offline tzok

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2017, 04:48:22 pm »
I said "no" in the poll, because I live in a country which is covered by the Scope Month promotion (Poland), yet I can't participate as I work for a public university :(

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2017, 04:56:25 pm »
I voted "yes" because I think it's only fair to give forum members from countries, who are not eligible to the Keysight contest, a better chance of winning one of the scopes  :popcorn:
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2017, 06:03:57 pm »
That's not it, we actually did some extra looking into Belgium specifically after a couple people commented on it during Cyberweek and there's nothing we were able to do. From a logical standpoint, the number of interested people is roughly proportional to the amount of business in a country is roughly proportional to the number of Scope Month entries. It doesn't hurt us to include more countries, the decision is based purely on legality.

I can confirm for Croatia that Daniel is right.. Laws here are complicated for this kind of event..

But, Daniel, I have a suggestion. You might check with your legal department if this is possible.

Dont make a contest that draws scopes... You don't give me a scope as a gift. You can give me a voucher that gives me 99% discount if I go and buy scope from Keysight.
So I can buy it for , let's say 10 USD... That legally makes it a purchase, and all is solved.... You can make voucher nontransferable, so no funky business with that.

How about that?
Would that be possible?

Regards,

Sinisa

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2017, 06:35:17 pm »
From a country (Sweden) that is not covered, it seems to help rebalance the fairness. Ultimately it is just nice to have a chance, even if the chance is 1 in a lot or 1 in slightly fewer!

+1 for this

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2017, 06:59:00 pm »
I'm OK with it either way. If I can qualify, great. If not, no problem. 8)

After all, the giveaway is not the reason I invest time on the EEVblog forum.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline TNb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2017, 07:26:55 pm »
I said "no" in the poll, because I live in a country which is covered by the Scope Month promotion (Poland), yet I can't participate as I work for a public university :(
How does it restricts you from participating? Did I miss something?
EDIT: Missed it in FAQ. Damn, I stated my uni in company field, though I am just a student, not employee, hope they don't mind :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:32:10 pm by TNb »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf