Poll

Should the EEVblog giveaway be limited to only those countries NOT covered by the Scope Month promo?

Yes
140 (41.8%)
No
137 (40.9%)
Don't Care
58 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 318

Author Topic: POLL & Discussion: Keysight 1000X Giveaway  (Read 38993 times)

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
Re: POLL & Discussion: Keysight 1000X Giveaway
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2017, 07:12:13 pm »
Dave (an individual) giving a gift...
Don't forget, they were thrown away in the dumpster  ;)
So now technically have no value  ;) ;)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2017, 07:31:52 pm »
I'd rather we  look at the real issue here. It's white people who are privileged, no matter where they live.
Are you really saying it here or do I just don't get the sarcasm? Not sure if I misunderstood your post or it is a first appearance of SJW here. Hope its the former :)

That would depend on the answers to my questions, omitted in your quote. It was just to illustrate a point of failed idealism, as this is sort of along the lines of affirmative action, which I guess Dave believes in by his suggesting this action, and others that would agree with it (if we dismiss the conflict of interest elephant). I kind of do not understand how EEVblog can give away a scope, but Keysight can't, but that may be just as irrelevant.
Because it came from Daves dumpster.  ;)  ;) Second hand too, of course.  ;)  ;)  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2017, 08:37:47 pm »
Dave (an individual) giving a gift vs. Keysight (a corporation) conducting a promotion, sweepstakes, contest, or whatever a particular government classifies it as.

I'm considering Dave and the contest is more than just about an individual... Dave is the EEVblog, the website, the YT channel, and the many other things he does. All that generates revenue and profit. He should be acting at least as some sort of company. Self employed, OK. I'm thinking he pays taxes on his profits. So company to company... size matters?

But I do not live in the AU and know nothing about it's laws or how the rest of the world's laws affect these things.

I was not aware of where the scopes came from or the contest at all beyond reading this topic.

But now I have the idea that Keysight should just ship their contest scopes to Dave's dumpster and let him run their contest. Everyone wins!

Offline palindrom71

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2017, 09:01:19 pm »
Dave, you decide.
Knowing my luck in such a contests, my chances are slim AF ;)
It's very nice that Keysight is giving those away, but I still remember last contest, when I sacrificed my time to prepare video clip and had zero chances of winning, because it wasn't about the clip in the end :palm: I got discouraged enough not to bother this year ;)
Cheers, Marcin

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2017, 10:22:01 pm »
Dave, you decide.
Knowing my luck in such a contests, my chances are slim AF ;)
It's very nice that Keysight is giving those away, but I still remember last contest, when I sacrificed my time to prepare video clip and had zero chances of winning, because it wasn't about the clip in the end :palm: I got discouraged enough not to bother this year ;)

I'm sorry to hear that! We've changed the contest this year to be a panel decision instead of a crowd vote (more details 1-Mar). Because we all know how that went.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2017, 11:49:19 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that! We've changed the contest this year to be a panel decision instead of a crowd vote (more details 1-Mar). Because we all know how that went.

And guess who's on the panel  ;D
I will accept an original Alan Bean painting as a *cough*

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2017, 12:04:26 am »
The poll is a good guide and very close at this point but I wondered if it could perhaps be interpreted the wrong way by some due to the number of people voting from particular regions, that is if there are way more people from eligible countries able to vote then the balance might be somewhat out of whack.   :) :P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 12:21:47 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2017, 12:08:17 am »
Also, what about countries that have their own separate contests to win:

[quote = Keysight]Australia will have their own independent contest (not sweepstakes) beginning 1-March. Tune in then for details![\quote]

If this is true it complicates things.  It might mean that if eligible countries for a Keysight giveaway were excluded Dave would logically have to exclude Australia.  Which would be a shame.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2017, 12:11:42 am »
I'm also feeling like it would be nice to give one away to a young beginner based solely on my discretion.
That would leave two for the forum, which based on previous giveaways is less than 1 in 1000.

That's actually a really great idea, despite me being personally ineligible (in my 40's and only a hobbyist), I think supporting a young engineer would be great. perhaps run it as a separate mini comp with some sort of creative element. E.g. Design a clever open source device with a bom of less than $50 AUD?

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2017, 02:50:33 am »
I'm also feeling like it would be nice to give one away to a young beginner based solely on my discretion.
That would leave two for the forum, which based on previous giveaways is less than 1 in 1000.

That's actually a really great idea, despite me being personally ineligible (in my 40's and only a hobbyist), I think supporting a young engineer...
Like djos, I also think this is a good idea (I too would be ineligible as I'm at the 'wrong end' of my life cycle - much as I would love a digital scope  :-/O). It would really give a boost to a budding EE :-+
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline palindrom71

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2017, 07:31:27 am »

:clap:
I believe this is the best way forward. :)
Cheers, Marcin

Offline nimda-eev

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2017, 12:50:04 pm »
A fair change for everybody!  :)

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2017, 01:23:33 pm »
I think it would be fair to those, who are not covered by Keysight.
And my country is covered by Keysight  :D

Offline Rutger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2017, 04:49:05 am »
I think whatever Dave decides will be fair. I like the idea of giving one away to a young hobbyist, that would be awesome.  :-+

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2017, 07:27:32 am »
So how do I enter this competitoon? Or do we need to wait for poll to close?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2017, 12:45:10 pm »
Not announced yet.

Keep checking the "Contests & Events" sub board.

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2017, 04:42:27 am »
Not announced yet.

Tearing my hair out in anticipation (and I don't have much to spare!)  :scared: :-DD
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline RissViss

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2017, 05:01:05 am »
I am new to the forum, but from my point of view everyone on the forum enters no matter where they live and who ever wins wins, no one is left out.
How you get past the cost for a person not in the contest area getting the meter is the hard part.
Tax and duty is a pain.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2017, 06:45:13 am »
i voted don't care because i don't want to win , but my next option would be no - so everyone should be able to participate.

btw... i don't want to win anything worth more than 350euro... because otherwise i could simply buy it... if you win anything more in value than 350euro you pay the following in Slovakia (member of the EU btw...)
1. 19% tax "tax from winning"
2. 14% health insurance (don't ask me why - but it's like that and it's incredibly stupid)
3. 19% tax "standard income taxation" (because the win adds up to your yearly income)
4. 25% "social insurance" (because the win adds up to your yearly income)

that adds up to something like ~ 77% , so in other words... if you don't want to break the law and "hide" your winning from the tax bureau , then you rather don't want to win.

and of course if it's from outside of EU, then add 20% VAT and approx 3% import customs duties... and it's 100% !  so no, i don't want to win a scope, i would rather buy it when i will need a new scope ;)

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2017, 07:47:41 am »
but my next option would be no - so everyone should be able to participate.

Everyone CAN participate.

If Dave does choose to restrict eligibility, then they must be eligible to enter for the 125 scopes Keysight is giving away (which they are very likely going to do anyway)
Everyone is covered.

Of Dave's five scopes:
one is up for grabs on Youtube - with no restriction
one is up for grabs to a supporter - with no country restriction
one is likely to be age restricted so possibly going to a young beginner/student, no other restriction that I am aware of.

And now for the subject of this poll:
one (maybe two?) is for the forum giveaway, so *might* be restricted to only those countries/states that are not eligible to enter for the 125 scopes available in the Keysight giveaway....
Simplez.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:51:14 am by MrBungle »

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2017, 08:29:30 am »
Wow that is a tight poll now! I'd say go with your gut Dave! :)
Gone for good

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2017, 09:25:02 am »
Wow that is a tight poll now! I'd say go with your gut Dave! :)

Don't forget to adjust for population size!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2017, 12:39:47 pm »
Dave will take all this on board - and will decide how to run things.  He has done it before and has taken steps to find fairness, so I have every confidence he will do a decent job of it.

Offline SnotKoglen

« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2017, 04:00:46 pm »
How about one scope for the excluded users and one for the included users and the third follows the poll. (Which by the way is ridiculously close. 3 vote gap.)

Offline Faith

• Supporter
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2017, 04:34:18 am »
i voted don't care because i don't want to win , but my next option would be no - so everyone should be able to participate.

btw... i don't want to win anything worth more than 350euro... because otherwise i could simply buy it... if you win anything more in value than 350euro you pay the following in Slovakia (member of the EU btw...)
1. 19% tax "tax from winning"
2. 14% health insurance (don't ask me why - but it's like that and it's incredibly stupid)
3. 19% tax "standard income taxation" (because the win adds up to your yearly income)
4. 25% "social insurance" (because the win adds up to your yearly income)

that adds up to something like ~ 77% , so in other words... if you don't want to break the law and "hide" your winning from the tax bureau , then you rather don't want to win.

and of course if it's from outside of EU, then add 20% VAT and approx 3% import customs duties... and it's 100% !  so no, i don't want to win a scope, i would rather buy it when i will need a new scope ;)

:palm:
<3 ~Faith~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf