Author Topic: Keysight 6000X 6Ghz Voting Is Live vote for Carlos A.  (Read 184384 times)

Offline rx8pilotTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
Re: Keysight 6000X 6Ghz Voting Is Live vote for Carlos A.
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2016, 04:38:28 pm »

Is this from a Python program you wrote? Really nice to see the trend lines presented this way, thank you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:46:48 pm by rx8pilot »
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2016, 04:43:36 pm »

What a bummer......I personally watched two people give up in the middle of voting, then I see these comments on FB. Arghhhh.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2016, 07:23:51 pm »
Ok....EEVBlog. I am now begging for votes.

PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE take a moment to vote. If you are not a Facebook user, you can sign up and never log in ever again.

Please tell your friends, neighbors, teachers, social media, gas station attendant, President, Prime Minister, Supreme leaders, Police, ANYONE at all.
Since this is so obviously a contest of social media magnitude - no one even needs to watch the videos. At this point, if you think my entry is worthy - please wrangle votes if at all possible.

Water heaters cannot possibly win. It would be a tragedy. If I come in 2nd place, we may find that she freaks out when presented the tax bill and declines the prize.

The preference is to win decisively!

Thank you to all that have voted.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2016, 08:55:07 pm »
I worry your going to have a heart attack with the pressure over the next two week.  Look at it this way. If she cannot afford a basic scope with a differential probe, she cannot afford the taxes you yanks have to pay on prizes.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2016, 09:00:06 pm »
I worry your going to have a heart attack with the pressure over the next two week.  Look at it this way. If she cannot afford a basic scope with a differential probe, she cannot afford the taxes you yanks have to pay on prizes.

Almost $20,000 I think?  If the winner doesn't claim it, does it fall to the next person or is it forfeited for all?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:07:36 pm by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2016, 09:20:44 pm »
She personally probably may not be able to pay the taxes, but I got the impression this is some sort of school project and the school may very well be. I don't think the scope will be hers, it may end up in the school.

And as a student she has plenty of backers at her disposal, maybe even connections to other schools... 
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2016, 09:45:31 pm »
That dose of reality kinda sucks, lol.

With that said.....A few hundred out of the thousands on EEVBlog can totally turn the tide.

I will continue to beg on my knees for blog votes.

Thank you!

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2016, 11:05:12 pm »
She personally probably may not be able to pay the taxes, 

Does anyone know who "she" is or what school or what country or city or ....

Does the video that gets the most votes, automatically win ?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2016, 12:18:29 am »
I believe she is from Massachusetts according to some posts I saw on FB. Just a guess though, all the the profiles that are connected are private.

And I do believe that the most votes automatically wins. Certainly as the current 2nd place contestant, it is disappointing from an emotional perspective. This contest is not just a neat thing to put on my bench - it will be a big boost to my ability to provide for my family. I have taken a lot of risks and put in double the hours of most people to live my little dreams. My transition into EE was the biggest risk yet and predictably, was a huge financial strain. I have been able to get pretty far with eBay leftovers, but this 6000x would be a portal to all new opportunities that would otherwise be out of reach - at least for many years. I was surprised that Keysight was giving away such a valuable prize but even more surprised how well of a fit it is for the road I am paving. I was even more excited when I read that they were asking entrants to make an appeal for why they deserve to win.

But looking at it from further away it is kind of sad that it is nothing more than a social prowess exercise. When I decided to make the video, I spent a considerable amount of time to make an appeal that was appropriate to the prize - making sure it was clear the this particular model would be fully utilized and not wasted. As for my friends and family that are voting - I could have made a video of cars driving down the freeway or maybe instructions on how to make pasta. They would still vote, but engineers would never vote for someone that did not present a reasonable case. That is what I thought I was getting into, an engineering contest.

Now I find myself in a social media race with a young student (with all the time in the world), and a school that, like my family and friends, would vote for a 'how to make pasta' video. On top of that, there is no known mechanism that prevents 10 students from making 100 FB profiles each and metering out votes as needed. If that were the case, I don't stand a chance. My whole weekend was spent creating a vote campaign, but during the week, I have to make a living. There is no way I can campaign for votes full time which is what appears to be needed just to be close.

I will, of course, continue to push for votes as much as I am able but in the end, I am only an observer and I personally put in my 3 votes per day. It would be nice if the other voters were engineers or electronics hobbyists.  My entry would have a better chance if that were the case.

Onward and upward.......it could turn around.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2016, 01:54:59 am »
Current positions:

Position  Votes  Name
Nilu J.    Lead of 284
Carlos A.
David K.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2016, 03:01:50 am »
So a friend wrangles a guy on Facebook that has 16k followers and convinces him to post a 'Vote for Carlos A' pitch on his page. He fiddles with trying to vote himself first, can't get it to work on his iPhone, gets frustrated with it and decided not to post something that would frustrate his audience. I had one chance with that. Wow.

Looking for a tall bridge now.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2016, 03:29:52 am »
A few years ago I was involved in doing a little bit of web development at about the same time I was up for a new phone - so I asked myself "What would be a good way to handle the Mobile side of things?".  My answer was to get an iPhone - since that was the leader at the time.  I can only imagine that the voting page did not go through proper testing before being published.

It seems somewhat unfair to exclude a major segment of voters because of technology discrimination of this scale.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2016, 04:27:39 am »
Soul crushing.  :-BROKE

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2016, 07:40:45 am »
Like many people here, I really do not "do" Facebook and resurrected an other old fake account, because I think you deserve this scope.
And in addition, I know a lot of young people who do FB and they all voted for you last night and will keep voting for the days to come.
Some of them claimed that they did not see you on the list and had to refresh a few times, before Carlos A. became "voteable"

But sadly, I think you are right....
How can you win such a battle against a high school crowd that is FB addicted.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2016, 09:19:34 am »

Some of them claimed that they did not see you on the list and had to refresh a few times, before Carlos A. became "voteable"

I don't think that claim is without some basis....

From what I have observed, the voting section is a scrollable area inside a frame.  The frame is NOT big enough to display every entrant and you would need to scroll down within the frame to find the other entrants.  Each time the page is loaded, the entrants are presented in a random order, so sometimes Carlos A. will be immediately visible and sometimes you will need to scroll to find him.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2016, 10:15:51 am »
I think it would be *really* good PR for Keysight, especially amongst a somewhat 'scope-obsessed audience of EEVBlog members, if somehow things turned out well for rx8pilot.

Or if Keysight can't do it, maybe if enough of us think that one of Dave's dumpster 'scopes should head his way...

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2016, 10:57:02 am »
Current positions:

Position  Votes  Name
Nilu J.    Lead of 273
Carlos A.
David K.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2016, 11:23:27 am »
I think it would be *really* good PR for Keysight, especially amongst a somewhat 'scope-obsessed audience of EEVBlog members, if somehow things turned out well for rx8pilot.

It's also really good PR for Keysight if the scope goes to a US school, helping in the scientific education of young students. I don't think they are unhappy with the current situation at all.

The following users thanked this post: jancumps

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2016, 12:15:54 pm »
Fair point.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2016, 12:31:32 pm »
It's also really good PR for Keysight if the scope goes to a US school, helping in the scientific education of young students. I don't think they are unhappy with the current situation at all.
When they use it to look at the 1kHz sine wave produced by their 1985 function generator  |O
It is overkill for a high school, you can buy 50 pieces of 100MHz scopes for the same price and they would benefit much more.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2016, 12:39:49 pm »
Yes, we all know this. The comment was made just from a pure PR standpoint of view. Just think about all the heart-warming stories the PR guys are able to squeeze out of it.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:09:58 pm by continuo »

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2016, 01:18:14 pm »
When they use it to look at the 1kHz sine wave produced by their 1985 function generator  |O
It is overkill for a high school, you can buy 50 pieces of 100MHz scopes for the same price and they would benefit much more.
they will be able to see harmonics until 6GHz or so ... :)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2016, 02:13:57 pm »

That pretty much reflects my opinion too, even a dozen 100MHz scopes would be more value to them than this 6GHz beauty: can you imagine how those four $5.8k 6GHz diff probes will be looked after? I want to cry!

If the votes are indeed genuine, regrettably those voting will have little clue what they're actually voting for. A single scope of this calibre will sit in a cupboard for most of its life, and if it ever gets out of the cupboard will be used at 1% of its capabilities. It's like a 16yo being offered a Bugatti that they can neither drive nor insure, it'll be left sitting in the garage as nothing more than a trophy piece. :-(

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2016, 03:00:44 pm »

If the votes are indeed genuine, regrettably those voting will have little clue what they're actually voting for. ...

The same is true for our Carlos. He is - rightfully! - walking his neighborhood and professional network to convince people to vote for him. There will be voters without a clue in that crowd too.
He can't complain that the number one has some voters with only one, or none, contacts in the network; and then ask us to consider an account just for voting. It's one or the other.

I do wish Carlos the best of luck. The video is great. He's rallying with much spirit and effort.
I think that the negative comments and insinuations (some concealed, others more open) on the leader do take away from that though. He doesn't need that. He needs positivism to get/keep voters engaged.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2016, 03:59:48 pm »
The same is true for our Carlos. He is - rightfully! - walking his neighborhood and professional network to convince people to vote for him. There will be voters without a clue in that crowd too.
He can't complain that the number one has some voters with only one, or none, contacts in the network; and then ask us to consider an account just for voting. It's one or the other.

I do wish Carlos the best of luck. The video is great. He's rallying with much spirit and effort.
I think that the negative comments and insinuations (some concealed, others more open) on the leader do take away from that though. He doesn't need that. He needs positivism to get/keep voters engaged.

After the first day, I managed to come to terms with the reality that the contest has nothing to do with the videos. I admit, I was/am worried about many shell accounts being created by one single person to game the system. It does not seem that there is any safeguard against that and it would allow someone to fabricate any number of needed votes to glide into victory lane regardless of how many votes I recieved. With that said, I have NO evidence or proof that this is going on at all. I do not want to even hint that I am accusing anyone of gaming. The only part that is hard is that the option is there - so plain and so easy (so it seems anyway). Imagine the Super Bowl, Indy 500, or the Olympics, where the rules are merely unspoken moral suggestions and there are no officials. That would keep many of the true and dedicated competitors from wanting to participate. No one wants to work hard just to learn they were chasing a carrot the whole time. In any competition, the rules and the enforcement of the rules allows the competitors to focus on the competition itself not trying to prepare defenses against exploits that cannot be enforced. But again, I want to be clear that my only gripe is that this is all fast and loose, NOT accusing anyone. The terms and conditions don't even mention anything about making up accounts or non-human voters or anything else so the moral lines are not even spelled out - I have to make up my own code of conduct. OPINION: Making an empty FB account for the purpose of voting, is not bad. Making an FB account to vote more than 3x per day is bad. There is no way to detect the difference. It's even possible that someone out there is trying to 'Help Carlos A' by doing this and I would never know. I hoped the winner would be chosen on merit, whether me of someone else. When the voting site opened - I watched each video and analyzed it for it's content - measuring it against my own submission. I was trying to anticipate how my video would measure up. I did not yet think about the reality of the voting method, I was still thinking about the content. I bugged my wife leading up to the deadline - "Is the video good? Is it Right? Should I do a different on? Will people like it?". The video you see was done the day the Test to Impress contest was announced and probably the 1st one to be uploaded.

With all that out of the way.....we clearly need 100+ voters to join in if the gap is going to be closed. 200+ voters to flip the gap. That is only a small (very small) percentage of the EEVBlog community. Please EEVBloggers - take a moment if you can to vote.

As I said before - If I win I will be giving away my current scopes by some method. For those on the forum that cannot make use of a 6Ghz monster and/or don't want the tax liability - these could go to good use. Another member suggested I do this (not sure they want credit or not). Somehow tying your voting participation to be eligible to win a starter scope.

TEK TDS754C 500Mhz 2GS/s 4ch - bright CRT and VGA output.

Rigol DS1102E 100Mhz 1GS/s 2ch

The following users thanked this post: jancumps

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf