Poll

Is your country eligible?

Yes
271 (65.1%)
No
145 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 406

Voting closed: March 29, 2016, 12:24:45 am

Author Topic: Keysight Scope Giveaway  (Read 181144 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Keysight Scope Giveaway
« Reply #525 on: June 02, 2016, 08:08:17 pm »
I'm afraid not and I'm not sure the Starbucks credits can be used in the EU. I recently saw an American couple's Starbucks card was declined in Switserland.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #526 on: June 02, 2016, 08:10:44 pm »
This is a joke, right? I hope?

EU customs duties is not a joke.. Or, well, it is, depending on your perspective.. :)

I'd be very surprised if this is a joke. Sounds very much as par for the course.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #527 on: June 02, 2016, 08:24:27 pm »
At least when you have to pick it up yourself, you are not worry about paying any taxes.

And it's also a great way for the distributor to save some shipping costs  >:D

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
« Reply #528 on: June 03, 2016, 08:32:16 am »
Customs and those low value limits are nuisance but it is the courier fees making these cases ridiculous, there should be some regulations to forbid those. In Finland (I am Finnish) I had an option with DHL to declare a parcel myself or let them do it. If they do it, of course it costs although it still was not that much. But this is 2 years ago.

Now after living in the UK for 18 months, I am still not completely aware how things go here. I have only ordered PCBs from China, and also noticed DHL just adding their fees - no options. Last time I chose FedEx, no fees (and no customs either?), and at least I haven't seen an invoice yet. I have ordered stuff from Mouser few times but those always go smoothly.
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #529 on: June 03, 2016, 08:43:35 am »
Mouser pay duties and taxes upfront, so there's nothing more to pay when the parcel lands in the EU. Just tick the box for free FedEx shipping.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #530 on: June 03, 2016, 01:10:48 pm »

Now after living in the UK for 18 months, I am still not completely aware how things go here. I have only ordered PCBs from China, and also noticed DHL just adding their fees - no options. Last time I chose FedEx, no fees (and no customs either?), and at least I haven't seen an invoice yet. I have ordered stuff from Mouser few times but those always go smoothly.

It depends on the circumstances, and each carrier/supplier combo frequently have different setups.

As an example for Fedex/Mouser, they use a notional address in (ISTR) Cologne (EU) so it behaves as if it were shipped from an EU country.

If you're VAT registered and supply Mouser with your VAT ID then they will supply the good as if they come from Cologne, i.e., any invoiced VAT amount will be zero.

If you're retail customer, VAT will be added to your bill, and due at check out.

This is just the way Mouser have it setup.

Not many smaller outfits have such arrangements, but in general if there's duty or taxes to be paid Fedex go after it after delivery, whereas the likes of UPS and most other carriers won't deliver until they've received payment. DOn't ignore the Fedex invoice either, they will refer it to a debt collection agency after a couple of months or so.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #531 on: June 03, 2016, 01:18:25 pm »
Mouser pay duties and taxes upfront, so there's nothing more to pay when the parcel lands in the EU. Just tick the box for free FedEx shipping.

When I received a scope from the Keysight eBay store a few months ago, shipped from Malaysia, the eBay invoice was recalculated with VAT added, apparently this is a standard Incoterms process "Delivered Duty Paid" (DDP). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoterms

Offline twentyseven.

« Reply #532 on: June 04, 2016, 12:07:07 am »
Hey guys,
is this the Keysight scope month 2016 winners club?   :P

I just got my scope today. Lucky for me, a sales representative came to my house.
He struggled a bit entering a private living space (removing shoes or not) and sitting with him in my living room was a bit strange. Maybe this was due to the fact, that I have all of my electronic-related stuff in the hackerspace and nothing at home.
He also ask me, if I am somehow related to electronics and if I know what an Oscilloscope is.
I should have known that "Yeaah, I saw the youtube-video where some guys tried to do a BBQ with it" ( ) was definitely not the right answer in this situation - my fault.
Then it tooks me some time to convince him, but in the end I got this nice scope (and his card if I have any further questions).

For testing this 1-GHz beast, the best thing I could find at home is a 433MHz remote for powersockets.
I am using the "store waveform"-function to see the two different patterns for knob A and B  in one picture (sorry for the bad quality, who need groundclips?).

And last but not least: Thanks to all people involved into the scopelottery and to Dave for the decent hints.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #533 on: June 04, 2016, 03:24:23 am »
"Yeaah, I saw the youtube-video where some guys tried to do a BBQ with it" ( )

Are they giving away the marketing guy's Cayman, too?   :popcorn:

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #534 on: June 04, 2016, 09:38:19 am »
I've constantly sales reps ringing at my door. Unfortunately they're either from Vorwerk, wanting to sell insanely priced vacuum cleaners to me or some Jehova's witnesses who promise eternal life in exchange for my soul. The one from Keysight has yet to show up. Sigh, maybe next year...  :popcorn:

Offline valgamaa

• Contributor
« Reply #535 on: June 04, 2016, 05:59:36 pm »
Key sight sent me a free mug for having an article published that used their software. The declared value was 34 Cents above the EU duty threshold, so the free mug cost me 43 Euros in duty+handling fees. Not sure I can afford to publish any more articles!

This is a joke, right? I hope?
It's no joke, but as others said the problem is that the couriers add silly amounts of handling fees on the deliveries. I was able to use the Starbucks card in San Francisco last week, and it is quite a nice mug (goes well next to my Rohde and Schwarz one!).

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #536 on: June 15, 2016, 10:21:43 pm »

I just asked the owner (not me, sadly). He said **** no. Nice try!

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #537 on: June 16, 2016, 09:50:35 am »
"Yeaah, I saw the youtube-video where some guys tried to do a BBQ with it" ( )

Looks almost as ridiculous as the feature list I get to some projects.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #538 on: June 16, 2016, 10:52:59 am »
They valued the mug at 15 Dollars, and included a Starbucks card with 10 Dollars of credit. This equated to 22.34 Euros, and therefore liable for local charges. It was the courier minimum charges that bumped things up so much. I have to say that I'm confused by the Brexit comments though - how would that change the need to make a customs declaration, let alone in another country!
The couriers minimum charges did not kick in until they had to go through the ordeal of calculating the 4 EUR VAT for you.

That isn't true. A customs declaration is required for all goods entering a country (but the UK is pretty lax at applying this - even as an EU member), and for this DHL charge 25 Euros. They then charge 10 Euros to administer something else (I can't remember), charge VAT on this, then charge the VAT on the goods. So something like 41 Euros is what DHL charge, even for an empty box, marked as a gift.
I refuse to pay a cent to DHL, therefore drive to the customs and deal with them myself and pay no other fees than VAT. Though it's a waste of 2 hours of time because Customs are located just out of the city.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #539 on: June 16, 2016, 09:06:28 pm »
Looks almost as ridiculous as the feature list I get to some projects.

What does?  The Cayman?!

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #540 on: June 17, 2016, 01:08:18 am »
No Spain? We are all Europe and near France :*

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #541 on: June 18, 2016, 11:24:54 am »
My "crazy" weekend alone when the better half is away  ;D

So yes, the prize scope is in use here as well. I have been mostly designing audio stuff recently. Unfortunately scope has no use in performance measurements but of course it has its place in debugging, sanity checks, and especially in digital audio what I have been designing recently. This is a DAC design. It works and performance seems very good in initial tests (measured with Audio Precision at work - lucky me). However, there are something to investigate in reset circuit and power up sequencing. I was just using the digital channels and I2S decoding for the first time in my scope, I am checking some unexpected behaviour of the SPDIF receiver.

The following users thanked this post: continuo

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #542 on: June 18, 2016, 06:09:21 pm »
I like the way you arranged your power supplies, staggered and at an angle.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #543 on: June 18, 2016, 09:46:39 pm »
I like the way you arranged your power supplies, staggered and at an angle.

It is a bit of a challenge to have one desk to serve all kinds of purposes but it works ok at the moment. Of course when I have some measurements going on, there is not much space for anything else.

This was taken when I got the scope. So basically my lab is one decent soldering iron (Metcal), two cheap rubbish Chinese power supplies, and ridiculously expensive scope :D And two cheap portable DMMs. Plus basic hand tools, mostly SMD components, and some basic connectors etc. I don't collect and store loads of old stuff but order components what I need when designing something. Keeps the "lab" compact, kind of necessity when living in a flat in a city.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #544 on: June 19, 2016, 03:49:00 am »
The scope balances out the rest.  ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Flanbix

• Contributor
  • If you don't know, ask. If you know, share.
« Reply #545 on: June 20, 2016, 10:49:13 am »
Finally got my precious, with the app bundle too.
A great replacement for my hacked DS1054z.
Thank you everyone at Keysight for this great scope  :-+

The following users thanked this post: continuo

Offline LeonV

• Contributor
« Reply #546 on: June 21, 2016, 05:31:04 am »
Oh man, seeing all you get your scopes is making me jealous! (I am a winner too, with a growing list of experiments)

I really hope that Keysight is doing well out of that promotion! I remember watching the videos an only seeing a couple hundred views and did rough math to come to the conclusion that Keysight were giving away way much more than they will get in sales.

Awesome to see other winners are getting their scopes!

When is Power Supply Month? And Current Load Month for that matter ?  :P
Damn forum is making me procrastinate from work!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #547 on: June 21, 2016, 05:51:57 am »
Oh man, seeing all you get your scopes is making me jealous! (I am a winner too, with a growing list of experiments)

I really hope that Keysight is doing well out of that promotion! I remember watching the videos an only seeing a couple hundred views and did rough math to come to the conclusion that Keysight were giving away way much more than they will get in sales.

Awesome to see other winners are getting their scopes!

Welcome to the forum.

Well done  :-+ ya lucky bugger.

We'll want to see pics.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #548 on: June 21, 2016, 08:29:44 am »
Yep - Pics or it didn't happen.

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #549 on: June 21, 2016, 03:42:03 pm »

I am waiting for the Audio Analyzer Month! 8) May need to wait a while :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf