Poll

Is your country eligible?

Yes
271 (65.1%)
No
145 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 406

Voting closed: March 29, 2016, 12:24:45 am

Author Topic: Keysight Scope Giveaway  (Read 180945 times)

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
Keysight Scope Giveaway
« on: February 13, 2016, 12:24:45 am »
Hi folks,

If you see this post you probably already know by now, but:

Register to win a free Keysight scope at www.scopemonth.com 

What I want to know is, are you eligible?  We want all of you to win and be eligible, but are curious how many of you actually are able to win it so we can work on it for future events.  :-//

Offline fredboivin

• Regular Contributor
Re: Keysight Scope Giveaway
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:27:39 am »
This giveaway would be awesome if I wasn't screwed over by the province of Quebec...

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 12:41:27 am »
Be careful what you are signing up for:
All entries become the property of Keysight and will not be acknowledged or returned. By entering, the entrant hereby assigns to Keysight all IP rights,
including copyrights.

I suggest go and screw yourself. That's what you are going to do for entrants anyway, right?
Alex

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 02:06:40 am »
All entries become the property of Keysight and will not be acknowledged or returned. By entering, the entrant hereby assigns to Keysight all IP rights,
including copyrights.

I suggest go and screw yourself. That's what you are going to do for entrants anyway, right?
You assign all IP or copyrights of your entry. So your company name or whatever information you used to enter can be published if they want to announce the winner.

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 02:47:05 am »
This  promotion
is  limited  to  specific countries and is only open to entrants aged 18 years or older at the time of submission who are legal residents  of, and  physically  located  within Austria,  Canada (excluding  the  Province of  Quebec), Chile, Denmark,  Finland,  France,  Germany, Ireland, Japan, Korea,  New  Zealand, Poland,  South  Africa, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States (excluding Florida, New York, and Rhode Island), and Venezuela

The web site needs a "create a quote"  with a "Request price reduction to $1" checkmark.
Someone approves it or not, not more than one quote per day, for thirty days.
Easy.
No list of countries, although shipping and tax might be a killer.
From a whole floor of lawyers, someone should be able to figure out how to get it done.

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 03:04:21 am »
Register for Scope Month – Not Yet Available

Is it not ready - or is being in Australia the problem?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 03:05:29 am »
Ah, always check the small print....

Thank you for your interest. This offer is not yet available in your country. Here are some links you’ll find interesting:

I suspect that's not going to change?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 03:54:55 am »
I don't quite understand the above poll in regards to the specified dates, maybe someone could direct me to the bit I'm missing which appears to be 28 days later, wasn't that a zombie movie ?.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 07:18:39 am »
The poll deadline and the sweepstakes period are independent things. The poll is so Daniel can see whether most people who cast a vote were eligible for the sweepstakes or not.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 09:41:32 am »
including copyrights.

FFS they are giving stuff away - if you don't like the terms, don't enter. What's your problem?
The whole point is for publicity, so they need to be able to use entries for that or there's no point.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:43:03 am by mikeselectricstuff »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 09:54:27 am »
What's your problem?
My problem is lawyers and their overly-broad statements. In this case, I don't care, I'm not submitting anything. But as long as this behavior is accepted, layers will keep putting stuff like this into licenses and contracts. And sometimes there is no real alternative, so you "agree", even if you really don't.

The whole point is for publicity, so they need to be able to use entries for that or there's no point.
So you submit your thing, and it is not yours anymore. Just like that. Surely, there is a way to allow conditional use without giving full IP rights.
Alex

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 10:03:10 am »
Interesting, they narrowed the list of the countries in the drop-down list to match those which actually are eligible in the rules. A week earlier this list was way longer and I "successfully" registered while selecting Latvia which is no longer there.

Offline eeadata

• Contributor
  • Tube - Germanium - Discrete . All about Past
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 10:28:52 am »
TURKEY . Please tell us why not ?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 11:21:42 am »
I'm still scratching my head at Australia's non-inclusion.

Offline pmcouto

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 12:49:07 pm »
It seems that Portugal is not included…  :'(

Offline fmaimon

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 01:21:25 pm »
I've just submitted my name and it was accepted, even if Brazil isn't listed in the list of eligible countries.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 02:12:54 pm »
including copyrights.

FFS they are giving stuff away - if you don't like the terms, don't enter. What's your problem?
Because  I we have the feeling that they think of us, like we are somewhat lesser, and that is why we are not included. For me, If I would live like 200 Km away in any direction, it would be OK, but not here.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 04:14:50 pm »
including copyrights.

Because  I we have the feeling that they think of us, like we are somewhat lesser, and that is why we are not included. For me, If I would live like 200 Km away in any direction, it would be OK, but not here.

usually it is country or regional laws (like in Quebec) that cause them to exclude areas. I have never heard of a company saying "Eh fuck em, they suck anyways" kind of attitude for excluding regions.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 12:46:10 am »
including copyrights.

usually it is country or regional laws (like in Quebec) that cause them to exclude areas. I have never heard of a company saying "Eh fuck em, they suck anyways" kind of attitude for excluding regions.

Yes, the exclusions are purely due to local legal compliance.  Many regions have laws limiting or prohibiting this type of giveaway/contest, and we do our best to be compliant.  Regarding us owning the entry, that's also a common rider for many giveaways.  Basically, you can't sue us for you entering our contest (duh).

Australia specifically has very, very complex regulations and a very long registration process with the local government.  We definitely wanted to include Australia, we just couldn't do it in a legally compliant way.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 12:48:50 am »

The web site needs a "create a quote"  with a "Request price reduction to $1" checkmark.
Someone approves it or not, not more than one quote per day, for thirty days.
Easy.

I actually thought of this and asked our legal team about it.  It's a no-go. You'd just owe taxes on $(Discount - $1) because it's still part of a "contest."

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 01:01:40 am »
Australia specifically has very, very complex regulations and a very long registration process with the local government.  We definitely wanted to include Australia, we just couldn't do it in a legally compliant way.

I will admit I don't know what the full legal situation is here in Australia - but I suspect the reason it is not easy is to make it difficult for sleazy operators, preventing them from using the system.

I do remember years ago legally you could not hold a 'raffle' but you could have a game of skill - and where there was more than one successful entry, you could draw a winner out of a hat.
The solution was to have a  G _ _ S _ I N _     C _ M P _ T _ T I _ N

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 01:04:30 am »
I registered when Slovenia was still on the list, now they removed it. I guess that means I'm out of the scope draw. :-\
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 07:54:50 pm »
Denmark and Finland, but no Norway? No way..  :scared:

I would have to pay VAT on any prize valued $1159 or above (25% of that is not insignificant), is this why you're excluding certain countries? Can't you just add the legalese of "you're responsible for any VAT and import fees" etc etc.

Also, why a mandatory company name?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:16:02 pm by TheAmmoniacal »

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 08:16:44 pm »
I would have to pay VAT on any prize valued $1159 or above (25% of that is not insignificant), is this why you're excluding certain countries? Can't you just add the legalese of "you're responsible for any VAT and import fees" etc etc.

We haven't excluded countries for taxation reasons.  There are a lot of different laws regarding contests/giveaways and we are offering it everywhere that we legally can.  There are restrictions on prize value, total prize value, skill based/random, etc. 

Winners will be notified and can choose to reject the prize if they don't want to pay the taxes, etc.  I've also seen one winner of the "Dreambench" giveaway donate their winnings to the local makerspace.  This way they didn't have to pay taxes on it because it was a "charitable donation."

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 08:21:41 pm »
Good to know! Always feel unfair being excluded, but there's probably good reasons.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf