Poll

Is your country eligible?

Yes
271 (65.1%)
No
145 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 406

Voting closed: March 29, 2016, 12:24:45 am

Author Topic: Keysight Scope Giveaway  (Read 180863 times)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Keysight Scope Giveaway
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2016, 06:54:38 pm »
How do you think why iphones are sold in such quantities?

I don't think it's because Apple sends out spam to people who contact them about something else  :-//
They spam you via paid news articles all of the time. In the movies (Mission impossible 4 :palm:). And it's not like keysight will spam you heavily. Maybe a few emails per year at worst.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2016, 07:00:53 pm »
If you are not ok with receiving a few emails for possibility to win a $15k oscilloscope with zero money spend, don't sign up. Or use expendable email account, but crying about this is just stupid. Or do you feel that Keysight, for some reason, is  obliged to give it to you for nothing?

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2016, 08:08:56 pm »
And it's not like keysight will spam you heavily. Maybe a few emails per year at worst.

I got 2 spams from them last week, which is why I posted.

If you are not ok with receiving a few emails for possibility to win a $15k oscilloscope with zero money spend, don't sign up. Or use expendable email account, but crying about this is just stupid. Or do you feel that Keysight, for some reason, is  obliged to give it to you for nothing?

I don't think I have to "love it or leave it".  I like the basic idea of the contest, but I think it would be even better without the spam.  What's wrong with suggesting that improvement?

Expendable email doesn't help, since I want to find out if I won the contest  :-//

I feel that Keysight might be interested in my opinion, and they seem to be reading this thread.  It has nothing to do with obligation.

Anyway, why do you feel the need to defend Keysight?  They can speak for themselves if they choose to.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:18:19 pm by edavid »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2016, 08:58:50 pm »

The customs bill is the VAT bill.
The "customs" part typically includes both the duty and also the handling/papework fees of the company doing the processing for you (aka Fedex/UPS/etc. in this case).

What you describe is indeed the paperwork. On goods you import, VAT is due. It's called a customs charge but in the end it is just the VAT you would have payed if you had gone to the local store. Which makes sense, as the one who is sending is not paying VAT so that would a bit too evil on a local shop owner. What you perceive as "customs" cost is the administrative cost from the courier.

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2016, 09:03:03 pm »
Did you not see the check box for opting out?
I saw it and did not check it I don't mind a bit of advertising email for things I am interested in. ( I would not call this spam)
I have no use for this scope it is far to advanced for me But if I should win one I will make the best use of it that I can.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2016, 09:29:48 pm »
Expendable email doesn't help, since I want to find out if I won the contest  :-//
Who prohibits you to check it a few times during the March and then abandon it?

Offline ion

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2016, 09:41:15 pm »

The customs bill is the VAT bill.
The "customs" part typically includes both the duty and also the handling/papework fees of the company doing the processing for you (aka Fedex/UPS/etc. in this case).

What you describe is indeed the paperwork. On goods you import, VAT is due. It's called a customs charge but in the end it is just the VAT you would have payed if you had gone to the local store. Which makes sense, as the one who is sending is not paying VAT so that would a bit too evil on a local shop owner. What you perceive as "customs" cost is the administrative cost from the courier.

Not exactly - at least not in Malta.  The customs charge is charged by the government and varied by the type of item.  Then we're charged the normal VAT rate on top of that, so in some cases it could be double the VAT alone!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2016, 09:47:44 pm »
Entering the contest gives me a good feeling about Keysight, which might make me more likely to buy from them.  Getting spam from them kind of ruins that feeling, so it's counterproductive.

Spam works on the majority of people, that's why companies like Keysight use it.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2016, 10:18:14 pm »

Not exactly - at least not in Malta.  The customs charge is charged by the government and varied by the type of item.  Then we're charged the normal VAT rate on top of that, so in some cases it could be double the VAT alone!

Indeed, it is exactly like this in France, Slovakia, Denmark and Switzerland too (countries where I have experienced it first hand).

Customs and VAT are different things. If one has to pay only one in Belgium, great, Ice-Tea got lucky. But that isn't the rule. Customs is definitely more than just the charge for the paperwork - try to import an item over few hundred euro worth and you will see!

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2016, 10:23:20 pm »
The best way for a company to NOT have it's products purchased is to have them absent from the consciousness of the prospective buyers.  This can be either through never having been informed or forgetting over time.

A little email every now and then helps a lot - as does putting out a few high dollar prizes!  The buyer is informed AND is given the thought that one could be in their lab.  A taste that may lead to desire and then intent.......

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2016, 10:33:31 pm »

Indeed, it is exactly like this in France, Slovakia, Denmark and Switzerland too (countries where I have experienced it first hand).

Customs and VAT are different things. If one has to pay only one in Belgium, great, Ice-Tea got lucky. But that isn't the rule. Customs is definitely more than just the charge for the paperwork - try to import an item over few hundred euro worth and you will see!

it's definitely like that. so in fact you might end up paying 1k+ Eur customs duty + 3k Eur VAT (it's approx 20% almost everywhere in EU) when importing a (giveaway) scope worth of 15k...

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2016, 10:37:21 pm »
The best way for a company to NOT have it's products purchased is to have them absent from the consciousness of the prospective buyers.  This can be either through never having been informed or forgetting over time.

A little email every now and then helps a lot - as does putting out a few high dollar prizes!  The buyer is informed AND is given the thought that one could be in their lab.  A taste that may lead to desire and then intent.......
Exactly, a while ago I had a conversation with a guy who is selling various audio related stuff (mostly made by himself). He said that he took a time to make a mailing list from a few years of previously selling on ebay. And sent all those people an email that he opened his own website, bla bla. That month he sold the amount of stuff he previously sold in a few months. So those people were aware of this guy as they bought from him before. However they needed a little kick to actually buy from him again.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2016, 08:52:38 am »
Code: [Select]
Government agencies and institutions (including public universities), and their
employees, are not eligible to participate or receive prizes

Since most grad students are technically employed by a university, they're out of luck.

Offline selkathguy

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2016, 02:28:51 pm »

Since most grad students are technically employed by a university, they're out of luck.
I called Keysight and verified twice with them that people who are employees of a public university are still eligible IF they do not enter on behalf of the university, and if it will be for personal use only.

Offline broz

• Regular Contributor
  • Pronounced like the "bros." in "Super Mario bros."
    • My Wordpress Page
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2016, 03:21:44 pm »
So I'm wondering if Keysight will filter the entries based on employer? I'm an undergrad student and since I do not have a part-time job on top of that I put my university's name down under "company name"...would that hinder my chances?
Slowly but surely making my way through EE school

Offline wblock

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2016, 03:33:10 pm »
It's probably too late for this one, but something to keep in mind for the next contest: I did not enter because the language that says "assigns to Keysight all IP rights, including copyrights" is so vague.  Sure, it is supposed to mean only material related to the contest, but it doesn't say that, it says "all".

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2016, 06:25:58 pm »

I called Keysight and verified twice with them that people who are employees of a public university are still eligible IF they do not enter on behalf of the university, and if it will be for personal use only.

This is in place because there are laws regarding bribing government officials.  We sometimes do Handheld DMM giveaways at our roadshows, and many people cannot accept because of their employer's rules & regs.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2016, 06:35:38 pm »
So, I refreshed my knowledge on this a bit. Back in the day, I did a lot of importing withtout customs charges (only the VAT part). Depends a bit on what goods you import. Scopes have TARIC code that does incur customs charges, also in Belgium.

For thos interested, here's a global list of tarifs for scopes:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-code-duty-rate-import-restrictions/903020/oscilloscope/9030.20.1000/9030.20.1090/5510/

Offline broz

• Regular Contributor
  • Pronounced like the "bros." in "Super Mario bros."
    • My Wordpress Page
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2016, 07:46:07 pm »
So, I refreshed my knowledge on this a bit. Back in the day, I did a lot of importing withtout customs charges (only the VAT part). Depends a bit on what goods you import. Scopes have TARIC code that does incur customs charges, also in Belgium.

For thos interested, here's a global list of tarifs for scopes:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-code-duty-rate-import-restrictions/903020/oscilloscope/9030.20.1000/9030.20.1090/5510/

WooHoo! 0% for Canada, just the taxes, which vary by province  :clap:
Slowly but surely making my way through EE school

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2016, 12:22:25 am »
WooHoo! 0% for Canada, just the taxes, which vary by province  :clap:

NAFTA FTW.  Sorry other continents :(

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2016, 01:28:12 am »
Dear Mr. Bogdanoff,

I have a question. Just to make it clear.
E.g. If the winner is located in Germany:
- The scope will be shipped from your nearest sales Office?
 (in this case: Keysight Technologies Deutschland GmbH, Boeblingen) :-+

or

- The scope will only be shipped from Keysight, Santa Rosa?  :--

I firmly believe that your answer is interesting for all countries with your sales offices.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2016, 01:31:51 am »
Entering the contest gives me a good feeling about Keysight, which might make me more likely to buy from them.  Getting spam from them kind of ruins that feeling, so it's counterproductive.

Spam works on the majority of people, that's why companies like Keysight use it.
It's also not spam if it's something you're interested in, or something you were looking to get. I get spammed on lenses by Olympus and I've purchased stuff from their emails on multiple occasions (they will have a reduced price promotion etc..).

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2016, 04:46:08 am »
Amazing what you find in the dumpster these days:

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2016, 05:24:50 am »
Hmm, could that be the EEVBlog version of a high-end Keysight oscilloscope? It has the little Dave logo on it. I dunno. Maybe something that really stands out would make it more obvious. :-DD

That's a special edition alright! ^-^

How do I find me one of those in a dumpster near me? :-+
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 05:28:46 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2016, 06:27:19 am »
Well, we know Dave isn't going to get plastered any time soon - but he certainly has been tiled!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf