Author Topic: Meetups in the Canberra area for 2022?  (Read 15828 times)

Offline sausageTopic starter

• Contributor
Meetups in the Canberra area for 2022?
« on: December 11, 2021, 12:08:38 pm »
Would people in the Canberra region be interested in a semi-regular, informal get together to share things we are working on: repairs, lighting talks, digital/analogue topics, starting in the new year 2022?

We used to have an excellent one a couple of years ago but it fell by the wayside unfortunately.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:10:57 pm by sausage »
Would love to meet up with people in the Canberra/Queanbeyan region who are keen to learn together.

Offline spanner888

• Contributor
Re: Meetups in the Canberra area for 2022?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 11:52:09 pm »

Existing groups I know of and recommend are:
MakeHackVoid Hackerspace Electronics group is Wednesday 7pm
belconnenshed.com.au/ Electronics group is Thursday 1pm to 3pm, but almost always starts at 12 after the noisy wood and metal workers leave :)

Both groups have very diverse interests ages and experience (non to long professional careers), are hands on and have access to wide range of parts and equipment on site and regularly have 8 to 10 attendees. Membership fees apply for both organisations.

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 11:53:24 pm »
Thanks for the information. I notice that the MakeHackVoid space has policies based on "Geek Feminism wiki", which is something of a red flag. Whilst I'm sure the people that attend there are fine, it's something to consider when deciding when spending money with an organisation.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, sausage

Offline sandalcandal

• Supporter
  • MOAR POWA!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 01:17:26 am »
Thanks for the information. I notice that the MakeHackVoid space has policies based on "Geek Feminism wiki", which is something of a red flag. Whilst I'm sure the people that attend there are fine, it's something to consider when deciding when spending money with an organisation.
I used to go to MakeHackVoid until the ANU maker space got started and that was much more convenient to use (and better run/funded) but ANU makerspace isn't really open to external people. The people and the rules at MHV are fine. I have no idea why you would think policies based on "Geek Feminism wiki" is something of a red flag.

The mens shed might be a better option if you like the company of retired old men but MakeHackVoid would be the better place if you want to talk to a more diverse (and younger) range of people (and projects).
Disclosure: Involved in electric vehicle and energy storage system technologies

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 09:11:20 am »
Thanks all for those groups. I did attend the maker space once, but the times never worked out. Would be nice to have something in the city.

And I have to agree  here with John B. While I do enjoy the company of all kinds of people, policies like this, pro-nouners etc etc are a red flag for me too.

Nice to hang out with people without surround it with gaff. Just to chill and talk electronics.
Would love to meet up with people in the Canberra/Queanbeyan region who are keen to learn together.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 09:06:37 pm »
I'm frequently in Canberra for work. I'd be happy to catch up with a group of forum members for a social beverage or two during a weekend when I'm there.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 02:26:36 am »
Hi Halcyon, that would be good, I'd be keen for that. Also looking at maybe doing something a zoom call ad hoc for an hour in the evening every now and then. Got a couple of others interested.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 08:22:10 am »
Hi Halcyon, that would be good, I'd be keen for that. Also looking at maybe doing something a zoom call ad hoc for an hour in the evening every now and then. Got a couple of others interested.

Yeh I can do that too. Let me know when you're keen. Just flick me a PM.

The following users thanked this post: sausage

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf