Author Topic: Power Supply Contest! Free E36312A  (Read 34229 times)

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
Power Supply Contest! Free E36312A
« on: September 27, 2017, 08:11:05 pm »
Hi everyone, the power supply folks recently kicked off a contest and are giving away an E36312A every week through January.

Here's a link to enter:
http://rfmw.em.keysight.com/promotions/powerupyourbench.html?cmpid=Rdt_puyb0917

To enter:
Power Up Your Bench with a power supply solution that can help identify and address problems early in the design process.

You can win this new power supply for your own bench! Just tell us what you would do with your new bench power supply, and you could win a new Keysight E36312A triple output power supply!

1. Upload a video, story, or story with a picture telling us how a new Keysight power supply will help you ‘Power Up Your Bench’
2. Submission must be related to and/or contain a power supply
3. Submission must include a title for your story

Winners will be selected weekly by a panel of judges and entries will be accepted from August 28, 2017 through January 26, 2018. Check back to view entries and submit another story - multiple entries are allowed!

I'm not gonna lie, the odds are looking pretty good for anyone who enters ASAP with a decent submission.

And the eligibility from the T&Cs:
Promotion Description/Eligibility. No purchase necessary. This promotion is limited to specific countries and is only open to entrants aged 18 years or older at the time of submission who are legal residents of, and physically located within, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), China*, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States (excluding Arizona). Government agencies and institutions (including public universities), and their employees, are not eligible to participate or receive prizes, nor are individuals who appear on the U.S. Government Department of Treasury’s Specially Designated Nationals List.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, nctnico, DiligentMinds.com, edavid, lukier, MK14, Krampmeier, TheDane

Offline buck converter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Power Supply Contest! Free E36312A
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:20:10 pm »
New York was not in Scope Month, glad to see that things have changed. :-+
Just me and my scope.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 10:01:19 pm »
Thanks. This looks like an interesting competition.

For reasons that I'm not quite sure about. The UK (and probably Europe), does not seem to have/use many of the top professional HP Keysight and other makes, power supplies. Especially in the last few decades.

Maybe it is because (especially decades ago) the UK had a rich variety of other, rather good power supplies, at reasonable prices. So the tradition built up to buy ones like Farnell, Thurlby Thandar (TTi) etc ones, instead.
Apparently this is why second hand/used ones (HP Keysight etc), don't appear often in the UK (on ebay), sadly.

Because I prefer the high quality ones. You can then develop your circuitry, with one less thing to go wrong (i.e. little PSU noise/instability/inaccuracy, or even catching on fire (rumors) if we are talking about the cheap/nasty Chinese ebay PSUs).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:04:56 pm by MK14 »

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 10:16:43 pm »
New York was not in Scope Month, glad to see that things have changed. :-+

Yeah, there are a lot of legal nuances between contests and sweepstakes, and prize size can also be a factor.

For reasons that I'm not quite sure about. The UK (and probably Europe), does not seem to have/use many of the top professional HP Keysight and other makes, power supplies. Especially in the last few decades.

In my experience travelling through labs around the world, power supplies (more than any other piece of bench gear) seem to be dominated by local brands. It would make an interesting thesis/research project for any economics grad students out there.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 10:24:32 pm »
Great news. Maybe'll enter but I need to give it a bit of thought. I already have two E3631A and two 6632B power supplies - excellent products. E3631A analog specs are very similar to E36312A, so I need to find the differences that would "Power Up my Workbench".

GUI and modern connectivity are obvious, but not that interesting project wise. Maybe the introduction of sensing connectors and uA readouts.

Offline buck converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 01:53:06 am »
honestly, would a teenage hobbyist have I chance? I don't have a bench power supply, but is considering buying one since my current solution is a USB power bank.
Just me and my scope.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 03:00:24 am »
Very nice prize - but my power supply requirements are extremely modest.  While it would not go astray on my bench, what I have has been adequate ... so far.

It's that unknown future which won't let me pass this by - but it also questions whether I will ever have the need.... which makes it a little bit of a challenge to put together a worthy entry.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 03:21:18 am »
I was just curious why we weren't given a 'heads up' before this...

Was it a matter of - let the contest run for a couple of weeks - and then see the entries skyrocket once mentioned on the EEVblog?

I'd be interested in the stats on that ...  ;)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 03:46:54 am »
Thanks for the heads up, Daniel.

By the way, I don't see anything but the page title, "See the Entries", when going to the Entries page, even though there have been two winners already. Is the page broken or is my browser being temperamental?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 04:01:04 am »
By the way, I don't see anything but the page title, "See the Entries", when going to the Entries page, even though there have been two winners already. Is the page broken or is my browser being temperamental?

Same for me.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 06:07:45 pm »
Submitting video...

Lets see what happens :)

Thank you for the heads up.

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 06:07:59 pm »
honestly, would a teenage hobbyist have I chance? I don't have a bench power supply, but is considering buying one since my current solution is a USB power bank.

It would be worth a shot, but I'd check the age restrictions. You may have to get a parent to be the official entrant.

I was just curious why we weren't given a 'heads up' before this...
Was it a matter of - let the contest run for a couple of weeks - and then see the entries skyrocket once mentioned on the EEVblog?
I'd be interested in the stats on that ...  ;)

I wish I was that clever :) The contest is being run by a different team and I simply wasn't involved in any of the planning or implementation. So, they just now have asked me to help give the event a little traction. And, of course, I'd like to see members of this forum take home the lion's share of the supplies :).

Very nice prize - but my power supply requirements are extremely modest.  While it would not go astray on my bench, what I have has been adequate ... so far.
It's that unknown future which won't let me pass this by - but it also questions whether I will ever have the need.... which makes it a little bit of a challenge to put together a worthy entry.

At this point, if you can put something together in a short-ish time frame I'd still recommend giving it a shot. The fact that you use a power supply makes you eligible. I haven't seen any of the entries, but my understanding is that the competition is not fierce as of today.

I don't see anything but the page title, "See the Entries", when going to the Entries page, even though there have been two winners already. Is the page broken or is my browser being temperamental?

I'll let the web folks know, I suspect it's something on our end.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 06:48:17 pm »
Thanks for relaying the issue to the web folks.

Daniel, I have a question about your mentioning that we can enter for each week's drawing. What is the intent there? If you don't win, just re-submit your story the following week for another chance? Or does each submission have to have a completely different story (with the drawings continuing for many weeks, that's a lot of power supply use stories for one person)?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 07:10:15 pm »
I just had a look at the data sheet for this and, making allowances for digital setting and readback, the critical performance parameters are almost identical to my old HP 6236B, a direct ancestor, dating from week 38 1984. The voltage and current limits are higher, but that's about it; load regulation, PARD, transient response etc. are all the same.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 07:59:17 pm »
The 6236B has no fan too.

If I won this, which I won't, I'd probably sell it and buy a 6236B. Beautiful power supplies. I lament the day I sold mine.

Offline nelsonm

• Contributor
    • Something Eloquent
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 03:42:24 am »
I love that it's not beige, and if one could pick it up for a good story it would be a nice tool!
~ Nelson

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 12:10:37 pm »
I love that it's not beige, and if one could pick it up for a good story it would be a nice tool!

Yes, but given the Goth colour scheme, let's just hope that these supplies aren't obsessed with the "die young and leave a beautiful corpse" idea.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 12:01:23 am »
If it dies young, harvest the innards! :-DD

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 08:51:05 am »
No confirmation after submission, no a single email.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 09:09:13 am »
I had some fun making a video to enter this. It made my wife roll her eyes and call me a geek, but it might make you guys smile.

I also found there was no confirmation of entry and "view entries" showed nothing. The list of winners shows only two. Was there a winner for the other two weeks? (The week five deadline has only just passed.) It's a great contest but maybe this could explain the apparent lack of entries.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:21:47 pm by Fred27 »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 01:24:53 am »
It appears that they're using the same service to collect entries for this contest as for scope month. Not sending a confirmation was set as the modus operandi during scope month in order to prevent the submission page from being turned into a mail relay for spam.

Daniel sent a message to the appropriate folks regarding the problem of entries not appearing. Hopefully, that gets fixed soon.

I look forward to seeing your video, Fred!

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 07:02:21 pm »
I can confirm that there's no e-mail confirmation - which is something that should be different for Scope Month 2018 (yay!).

For the "winners" list, I've been told by our legal department that we aren't allowed to announce the winners until we get some form signed by the winner. So that explains the delay. You can also see a write up from the first two winners here: https://community.keysight.com/community/keysight-blogs/general-electronics-measurement/blog

I'm still looking into why the entries page is blank.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 02:08:28 am »
Thanks for the update, Daniel. I'd be happy to pre-fill a winner's form to avoid future delays. ;D

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 04:10:51 am »
YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSS!!!! My bench was Power Upped! I received the e-mail half hour ago and, obviously, already sent the forms. (shut up and take my signature!)

Now, on to viciously guard the door for the arrival of the postman.

Thank you very much for the heads up Daniel, and thanks to the organizers of this event. You can be sure the 36312A will be properly reviewed in my channel (in portuguese, but I may open an exception and create english captions! :) ).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 05:35:48 am »
Winner winner, chicken dinner! Yippie-Ya-Yeah!
Checked my email, found a winner notification from Keysight.

Guess there weren't too many entries until now, so we've got two winners for this week

Good luck to all others!

As soon as the new supply arrives (guess I have to fetch it from the local customs) and I can find the time to do it, I'll try out and document the results of my story using the new supply and link to it here (at the eevblog forum)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:39:22 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf