Author Topic: Power Supply Contest! Free E36312A  (Read 34251 times)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Power Supply Contest! Free E36312A
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 05:55:16 am »
Belgium is in the list!!

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 05:56:58 pm »
Dang. I didn't win then  :'( I had the Keysight rep on the phone today about this power supply and told her I never win anything so I guess I just have to pay for one. Maybe I'll get the 160W version. BTW the rep didn't knew about the contest.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 06:01:12 pm »
Another "loser" here.
It looks like my electronic projects are boring... I don't thing so as I enjoy them very much  ;D

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2017, 07:40:28 pm »
Congratulations, capt bullshot!

Nico, EdoNork, from what I read it seems any entry is considered from week to week until the end of the promotion period - you are probably still in the race.

Good luck to everyone!
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 07:58:31 pm »
Congratulations, rsjsouza and capt bullshot!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 10:41:13 am »
Congratulations, guys! Nice to see some eevblog winners. Nothing for me - it seems the judges were no more of a fan of my humour than my wife was!

Maybe I'll do a more serious entry now that I've seen the first two winners. (The week #1 winner didn't seem to make a lot of sense when talking about asymmetric rails. Not sure how that would damage two separate supplies.)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2017, 06:47:09 pm »
So, do non-winning entries remain in the pool throughout the giveaway period or just for the week it was submitted?

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2017, 07:16:52 pm »
Why is Portugal not bit eligible for this contest? We are EU members just like Spain, France, Germany, etc.

This really makes me sad. It looks as if Keysight doesn't consider Portugal a country of commercial interest...

Should Portuguese prospects move on and look for other brands?

Regards,
Vitor

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2017, 09:51:37 pm »
Why is Portugal not bit eligible for this contest? We are EU members just like Spain, France, Germany, etc.

This really makes me sad. It looks as if Keysight doesn't consider Portugal a country of commercial interest...

Should Portuguese prospects move on and look for other brands?

Regards,
Vitor

As always with these things, it'll be some aspect of Portuguese law or tax law with regards to lotteries, contests and the like. I mean, is it likely that Keysight would go out of their way to annoy you by excluding you? Especially if your 'chippiness' about this is typical, I mean are all Portuguese as quick to take offence before they've established the facts? I doubt it.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2017, 10:14:38 pm »
I figure it is more down to the importance that Keysight gives to the Portuguese market. I am not aware of any different law in Portugal, that would make a giveaway problematic.

And as such I complained. I don't see anything wrong with my post.

As an example, The Pie Hut (they sell Raspberry Pi and addons) did not ship to Portugal (they did to any other EU country).
I complained and got a reply with some silly response.
So I complained again.
And I figure that many other Portuguese did complain, because now they do ship to Portugal.

If we live in an economic union, it makes no sense for companies to segregate at their own will.

Regards,
Vitor

PS: And guess why Ice-Tea posted the fireworks a few posts above...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:17:20 pm by Bicurico »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 11:07:30 pm »
Well, a previous Keysight contest excluded New York state because of state law about contests, but according to you it must have been because New York state is economically insignificant as far as Keysight is concerned. New York state is, quite obviously, not an economic backwater. In the past, 20 years or more ago, the UK was excluded from a  lot of contests like this because previous UK law treated contests like this as lotteries under gambling laws; those laws have changed.

Which is the more likely explanation, local law you're unaware of or Keysight thinking that Portugal is an economic backwater just like New York state? I don't know why you're trying so hard to be offended when there's a much more rational explanation available.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2017, 03:11:26 am »
If we live in an economic union, it makes no sense for companies to segregate at their own will.
Portugal is a sovereign nation.  It has its own laws.  Those laws set it apart - not Keysight.

The economic union does not override those laws - which is what you are suggesting.

Well, a previous Keysight contest excluded New York state because of state law about contests, but according to you it must have been because New York state is economically insignificant as far as Keysight is concerned. New York state is, quite obviously, not an economic backwater. In the past, 20 years or more ago, the UK was excluded from a  lot of contests like this because previous UK law treated contests like this as lotteries under gambling laws; those laws have changed.

Which is the more likely explanation, local law you're unaware of or Keysight thinking that Portugal is an economic backwater just like New York state? I don't know why you're trying so hard to be offended when there's a much more rational explanation available.
Well said.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:13:41 am by Brumby »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2017, 08:25:22 am »
The economic union does not override those laws - which is what you are suggesting..

Actually in some subject areas EU law trumps national law, and in some other areas national law trumps EU law, that's just the way that the Treaty of Rome and its successors works. The details are complex, and seem designed to confuse the 'man in the street'. Part of the deal in joining the EU is giving up absolute sovereignty on some areas. Generally the principal area where EU holds sway has been economic matters where it affects competition, equality of opportunity for trade in and between member states - free movement of labour, state subsidies and so on.

One of the areas where sovereignty has been reserved to the individual states are what you might call 'moral' law where the individual countries' judgements on such matters tend to be strongly held. So, it would be illegal for a member state to restrict free movement of workers, but not illegal to restrict the free movement of sex workers. Gambling, although an economic activity, tends to fall into the area of 'moral' law reserved to the individual states and in most places it usually seems to be gambling law that has governed prize competitions.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2017, 11:10:42 am »
Let's not drag yet another competition thread into the same "why isn't my country included" direction. Everyone must know by now it's down to local laws and how many individual ones the competition organiser and their lawyers want to get tangled up with. It's great that companies do these giveaways - don't give them a hard time about it.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Dubbie, Brumby, Deridex, TheDane

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2017, 12:46:25 pm »
Let's not drag yet another competition thread into the same "why isn't my country included" direction. Everyone must know by now it's down to local laws and how many individual ones the competition organiser and their lawyers want to get tangled up with. It's great that companies do these giveaways - don't give them a hard time about it.

Amen to that.

Offline katzohki

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2017, 07:36:57 pm »
Thanks for relaying the issue to the web folks.

Daniel, I have a question about your mentioning that we can enter for each week's drawing. What is the intent there? If you don't win, just re-submit your story the following week for another chance? Or does each submission have to have a completely different story (with the drawings continuing for many weeks, that's a lot of power supply use stories for one person)?

I would also like clarification on this

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2017, 08:36:21 pm »
Yeah, it'd be nice if someone directly involved in the Power Up giveaway could join the forum to clarify things.

Daniel's participation really made a difference as the Scope Month events were running not only to clarify things, but also to relay issues and resolve problems. I don't think Scope Month would've been as good without him.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2017, 09:09:45 pm »
Agreed. Some clarification would be good. I read the rules but it's not obvious. We all want to maximise our chances of winning, but don't want to spam you. I hope all entries are kept in the draw - because otherwise the week it was promoted on here was the very worst week to enter!

I also agree that Daniel is the man when it comes to promoting these giveaways for Keysight.

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2017, 07:58:26 am »
Gotta agree here !

Thanks for relaying the issue to the web folks.

Daniel, I have a question about your mentioning that we can enter for each week's drawing. What is the intent there? If you don't win, just re-submit your story the following week for another chance? Or does each submission have to have a completely different story (with the drawings continuing for many weeks, that's a lot of power supply use stories for one person)?
Yeah, a clarification would be nice as i don't want to spam storys  ;)

Edit: Also congratulations, rsjsouza and capt bullshot  :-+
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:02:47 am by Deridex »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2017, 02:33:33 am »
Is the contest still going? It appears to have died on the vine after the first two weeks. Hopefully, there are still opportunities to power up our benches!

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2017, 08:54:33 am »
I can confirm it is still going - because I just got an email telling me I'm the week 7 winner! Woohoo!

I must admit that beforehand I was wondering the same thing though. There's nothing on the Keysight website to indicate that the competition is still happening. No confirmation of entry, list of entrants, updated list of winners.

Keysight have run another great competition, but are not really making the most of it.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2017, 09:00:45 am »
Received my E36312 yesterday, see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/keysight-e36312a-first-impressions/ (might have been the wrong place for the post).
They did a good job in terms of shipping and tax/customs declaration, it was delivered without issues to my doorstep. Got a shipment notification with tracking ID in advance.

And - congratulations, Fred27!
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 12:16:56 pm »
Fred, congratulations!

capt bullshot, I also received my E36312A yesterday.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:29:07 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2017, 01:41:43 pm »
And the eligibility from the T&Cs:
Promotion Description/Eligibility. No purchase necessary. This promotion is limited to specific countries and is only open to entrants aged 18 years or older at the time of submission who are legal residents of, and physically located within, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), China*, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States (excluding Arizona). Government agencies and institutions (including public universities), and their employees, are not eligible to participate or receive prizes, nor are individuals who appear on the U.S. Government Department of Treasury’s Specially Designated Nationals List.

I'll keep all my amazing ideas for myself >:D

But I really like this contest idea, a lot! (I know i'm late, but i just saw the topic)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:44:05 pm by JPortici »

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2017, 01:49:06 pm »
Received my E36312 yesterday, see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/keysight-e36312a-first-impressions/ (might have been the wrong place for the post).
They did a good job in terms of shipping and tax/customs declaration, it was delivered without issues to my doorstep. Got a shipment notification with tracking ID in advance.

And - congratulations, Fred27!

Congratulations!

I'm the perpetual loser here ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf